• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The main reason why I'd even pay attention if Mother 3 got announced at this point would be to see how much of Tanetane Island and the Magypsies survive the official localization.

I kinda don't understand why people still ask for it

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Imran said Mother 3 in the west was happening at one point, but they re-evaluted it and realized it wasn't going to work.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Well yeah, of course they gave up on localizing the original Mother 3.

Reggie is about to reveal the remake at TGA after all.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Those would be amazing picks. 🥰

Chell would be insane in Smash with her portal gun. I'm not sure how you would balance that.

Only way Chell would work is if they made the move set around portals that react and bring Chell/Items into the game rather than teleporting the players.

Say up special is shooting a portal below and then one appearing above at a certain distance. Down special is a companion cube falling through a portal. Have a grab throw an opponent through a portal a set distance away. She couldn't just shoot a portal gun and make portals around the stage because it'd be pretty broken- but she could have moves using the portal guns.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Doomslayer and Geno, heeeeeere they come! Clickity-clack, down the track!

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I don't ever see Chell working. Her moveset would either have to be unrealistically insane or completely underwhelming.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are ways to balance portals. Limited uses per stock, cool down phases, limited range, making them short-lasting, etc.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
XlkTgHA.gif

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There are ways to balance portals. Limited uses per stock, cool down phases, limited range, making them short-lasting, etc.
Maybe I'm lacking imagination but I don't see how Portals would be that OP. Smash is based alot of aerial movement and Portal requires surfaces to work.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I'm not even talking about balancing. I'm talking about the very basic idea of using portals to begin with.

Like what purpose would they even serve on Final Destination?

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm lacking imagination but I don't see how Portals would be that OP. Smash is based alot of aerial movement and Portal requires surfaces to work.
This too, but it would probably be best if they bent the rules. I can't see portals working if they were limited to surfaces. Then again, setting up surfaces could be part of her moveset.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
There's no need to wonder how portals would work in Smash when you already know is that the idea of Nintendo adding a Valve character is laughable.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
My main issue would be the visibility of them.

Given the nature of Smash stages, 99% of the time those portals will be going on the floors so readability will be important.

Also they won't do jackshit offstage without something else, so that'd be weird.

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically, Chell would need to be able set up walls (intangible, can only interact with portals) and the portals would need properly visible visual and color effects. This all sounds fine.

Better yet, Ultimate already has portals in the stage builder.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also it's likely if we were going to get a Portal character they'd likely choose Atlas and/or P Body because they'd be more likely to showcase Portal's unique aesthetics better while also being more recognizable.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Portals would also not even really show up well on the flat 2D stages

Really Portal would be best served by a DLC GladOS boss fight or a very dynamic stage, with Chell shooting portals from the background

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I think it's worth noting that having a vertical wall instantly gets a stage banned from competitive, so a character that utilizes stage walls would not be terribly viable at high levels.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's worth noting that having a vertical wall instantly gets a stage banned from competitive, so a character that utilizes stage walls would not be terribly viable at high levels.
Yep. Any character with a gimmick dependent on vertical stage geometry would have a very difficult time in tournaments.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'd like an Aperture Science stage (with some music included, no duh). One of those franchises where I think a stage or boss would work best, like Minecraft.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
\o/ everyone give the interns at NoE your energy. It's so much more fun to have zero idea of who's in and I don't want to see any private videos accidentally made public or copyright data left on any web pages. \o/

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'll miss the pre-show; but I doubt any of Nintendo's announcements will be there, so I can just catch up on the announcements when I get out of work.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'll miss the pre-show; but I doubt any of Nintendo's announcements will be there, so I can just catch up on the announcements when I get out of work.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was in the preshow last year, but yeah, I'd skip it too.
Smaller announcements are there, and you can bet 100% that no Smash DLC will be there.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
How would you all feel if we get an echo announcement at TGA instead of a full character?

Kasumi swoops in and steals another invite. Revealed to be a Joker echo.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of would assume Portal portals in Smash would just work like the Warp Zones present in Stage Builder with the restriction that each Chell would only be able to place one pair at a time, but maybe I'm missing something because I haven't played Portal in years

Status
Not open for further replies.