• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Would be great, for sure, but don´t you think Crash image is still somehow linked to the Sony brand?

1200px-Cloud_SSBU.png

Sony isn't exactly hugely affiliated with Final Fantasy, nor Metal Gear, as those games appeared on the MSX & on the NES before PlayStation.

So neither Crash, Solid Snake, Cloud or Joker would be considered Sony characters or mascots.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
I'm still going with a Crash/Master Chief double whammy at the Game Awards.

Let me dream.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
We all know Jon is an insider and his GX persona is just a cover because:

1. 100% of all his predictions came true.
2. He is from an fictional country, the UK. Should have picked something more believable like Narnia. Nice try Jon.
3. Have we ever seen a picture of Jon and Miyamoto in the same room at once? I thought so.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let me correct myself on one thing. Geno is a playable character, but he is a Mario spin-off character who has had no further appearances of any meaning outside of that one game.

People remember Mario RPGs, including Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, as Mario games. Geno gets no special exception there. He's a Mario character whose inclusion in anything is made more complicated by the fact that he's owned by Square Enix.

That last factor alone complicates him far more than KOS-MOS. While she is a Bandai Namco character, she has much closer and more relevant ties to a major Nintendo studio in the present day and her presence on Nintendo platforms has a wider and deeper history dating back to Xenosaga 1&2 on the DS.

On top of that, Geno as, in essence, a Mario character is in contention with all the other Mario characters to be added. And there's still at least half a dozen characters from the Mario series and its sister franchises that would make worthy additions and would have a lot more general appeal than Geno would as well.

KOS-MOS would add a new series.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I'm waiting for Sora and Master Chief at E3 2020 personally. Don't even want them more than a lot of other options, but it'd give me a lot of hype reactions.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Sora would be pretty much the only character they could add that would legit make me even more disappointed in the fighter pass than the previous set of characters.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Hype reactions last about six seconds. I'd rather characters I'd find interesting than ones that cause people to fake scream at their webcam.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching a compilation of Sans reactions where one of those assembly line Smash youtubers bellowed the most forced, unnatural laugh imaginable for an entire minute like there was something that genuinely amusing in the situation.

TLDR: If you're not Maximillian Dood circa Cloud's reveal in Smash For, stop making reaction videos.

They'll fake scream at the webcam whatever happens anyway.

"HOLY SHIT PAJAMA SAM WAS MY CHILDHOOD BRO NINTENDO WINS FOREVER DADDY SAKURAI"

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On top of that, Geno as, in essence, a Mario character is in contention with all the other Mario characters to be added. And there's still at least half a dozen characters from the Mario series and its sister franchises that would make worthy additions and would have a lot more general appeal than Geno would as well.

KOS-MOS would add a new series.

What is Xenoblade?

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
No lie I would do an Etika style shelf smash if Master fucking Chief got in and the biggest reaction to a Smash trailer I ever had was raising my eyebrows at Joker's envelope.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want Gamexplain to do a prediction discussion prediction discussion and predict when they will do prediction discussions and predict what they will predict in them

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Should be Sakuya for the "IS THAT A JOJO REFERENCE????!!!"
U3A3Mjo.gif
5F415E558C02571A2C1C5C407236D1BA2B029C88
I just want Touhou Luna Nights on Switch.

Been replaying it recently, but I want it on Switch.

Also Reimu in Smash would be great, but we all know what we really want is the glorious amounts of music the Touhou franchise brings.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I will make a list of all of the fake Estelle fans amongst the reactions when she is revealed.

I will check it twice.

Aug 12, 2019
Let me correct myself on one thing. Geno is a playable character, but he is a Mario spin-off character who has had no further appearances of any meaning outside of that one game.

People remember Mario RPGs, including Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, as Mario games. Geno gets no special exception there. He's a Mario character whose inclusion in anything is made more complicated by the fact that he's owned by Square Enix.

That last factor alone complicates him far more than KOS-MOS. While she is a Bandai Namco character, she has much closer and more relevant ties to a major Nintendo studio in the present day and her presence on Nintendo platforms has a wider and deeper history dating back to Xenosaga 1&2 on the DS.

I mean, if you played Super Mario RPG, there is an extremely good chance you remember Geno. Both Geno and KOS-MOS similarly share being among the most memorable characters and aspects from their respective titles. He gets a special "exception" in the sense that he has managed to literally retain a greater popularity as a Smash candidate than every other Mario RPG character (and is in general one of the most remembered spin-off characters ever).

I also don't see any "closer and more relevant to Nintendo" ties than literally existing in and being created for a major party member in Mario's first RPG title of all time. Outside of the more tenuous Monolith Soft connection (couldn't we argue the same thing in favor of Geno with how many Super Mario RPG devs have ended up working with Nintendo anyway? Especially with lead composer Yoko Shimomura playing a large role in Smash specifically), the one appearance in XC2, and the DS title that never released outside of Japan, all of her other crossover appearances have been directly decided upon by Bandai-Namco and largely with little relation to Nintendo and with a lot more appearances on other consoles in small roles. There's about as much history there as Cloud had when he got in (which isn't a bad thing, but I just don't see it as a compelling reason to specifically cite KOS-MOS as a choice, nor do I really see Geno's "history with Nintendo" as compelling either).

And don't tell me you're about to reiterate the tired talking point that Square Enix is some stingy studio that's hard to work with. Everything surrounding Hero that Sugiyama's shitty fingers aren't in was a resounding rebuttal of people's usual bitching about Square Enix. They were all in as full partners and they've already shown a willingness to give Geno out for Smash specifically in every capacity Sakurai has asked since they've been involved with the franchise (we never saw him taken as a serious candidate for Smash 4 and we shouldn't expect such a thing given Cloud was the natural and sensible priority). He's in no worse a situation than KOS-MOS at Bandai-Namco, there just has to be a willpower to make him (and her for that matter) playable.

Geno gets in due to Sakurai bias and fan demand, KOS-MOS gets in due to fan demand and Monolith Soft bias, I don't really see any reason to frame the situation any other way.

I think Sora would be pretty much the only character they could add that would legit make me even more disappointed in the fighter pass than the previous set of characters.

But he'd be a hype addition for the community at least!

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Assuming that we don't get a character that I'm actively pulling for (Doomguy!!) I hope that we'll at least get a character that will give us a cute Sakurai presentation video. I had no prior attachment to Terry but after watching Sakurai gush about him for 45 minutes I understood and respected why he was chosen for the pass.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Ideally, we'd get Sora at the Game Awards, but I do think a Sora/Master Chief reveal at E3 or something would be super cool and crazy too. I'd also be down for Sora and 2B or Sora and Dante, Travis, Reimu, basically anyone lol

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Yoda of the Soul Calibur franchise.
Steven Universe of the Brawlhalla franchise.
Mario of the NBA franchise.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Marth and Mega Man are both Dragalia Lost characters, got it.

That's definitely a valid comparison to a character featured in a series dealing with the same mythology and concepts as its spiritual predecessor appearing in the follow up dealing with etcetera etcetera.

Status
Not open for further replies.