• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

More and more people are tapping into the heart of the cards and feeling the hype. The universe is willing Master Chief into existence and those willing to listen can hear the song.

I'll say it one more time:

Dante is Fighter 5
Master Chief is Fighter 6

Both will be announced at the Game Awards.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Banjo was a character that never even bothered lending my support, that was how much impossible I thought he was. a lost cause, so I'm super happy with him in Smash (and back in action in anything, really). Terry and Piranha Plant are two fighters that I didn't know I wanted, but they are quite fun and they're both characters that at least had affinity or liked them previously (PP).

Hero and Joker does absolute nothing for me, so they're at best neutral inclusions.. but I'm really, really hoping for something that will blow me away (aka someone I truly asked for) as DLC; be the 5th fighter or following seasons

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure Spyro would never be in before Crash. Especially not with how much of a non-entity the series is in Japan.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Disney is involved with TGAs, so I guess that means Sora is confirmed

That's how this works, right?
No, that would mean Luke Skywalker

vJq9zPS.jpg

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
If an additional character from the Zelda franchise could be an option,who would you like to see in? I'd to see Daruk or Revali.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OMG, I wasn't aware of what he did, just googled it. Well, it's a shame that a great videogame character like Earthworm Jim has to be attached to his shitty creator.
It gets worse, because much of Earthworm Jim is right-wing allegorical commentary. For example, Professor Monkey with a Brain was a mockery of evolution.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Bandai Namco already has a JRPG swordsman that's going to be in Smash, and his name is Chosen Undead. Lloyd can get in line behind The Prince and Haruka Amami and Heihachi and Nightmare and Dig Dug and a Plane from Ace Combat and the RX-78-2
Wow, I can't believe Haruka is getting in twice!
latest

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm so Elsa will already be in Smash by the next prediction video, but Seth's star will be rising

Tan and Den in perfect harmony

Aug 12, 2019
The main difference between KOS-MOS and Geno is that KOS-MOS is a lot more prolific inside of the Xenoverse, and also is one of Namco's crossover darlings, while Geno was in one 25 year old game and has made no notable appearances since then (and that one cameo in one of the M&L games is not comparable to KOS-MOS' stuff), while also being just one in the huge cast of massively popular characters that the Mario franchise features, plus Squeenix does not seem to be particularly forthcoming with their shit.

Mind you, I don't think KOS-MOS is any more or less likely than Geno, but to suggest they're at all comparable situations is being disingenuous.

I mean, is KOS-MOS not also just one of a ton of Xeno characters at this point from the least successful and well received period of the Xeno-verse? KOS-MOS was in three Xenosaga games that sold pretty terribly and together don't even really exceed 2 million copies (which, it's fair to assume are unique players and several of the people who brought previous titles bought the others, so overall even less impact). And KOS-MOS hasn't exactly been a huge bankable crossover star despite making some appearances. She's hidden in Soulcalibur and locked behind hours of bullshit grind in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as her two most notable major appearances, with the Project X Zone and Super Robot Wars crossovers obviously belonging to very niche games as well.

I disagree that they aren't comparable and that it's somehow disingenuous to imply such a reality. They're extremely similar in terms of overall impact and circumstances surrounding their inclusion. KOS-MOS is a niche JRPG deuteragonist owned by a company that they're less associated with and requested by a section of the Smash fandom that is also in between human and artificial. That also describes Geno rather perfectly. They're divergence comes in the fact that KOS-MOS has appeared in more crossovers and gains her popularity there while Geno is more popular within the Smash community thanks in part to Sakurai's interest (a niche portion of it, but he certainly appeals to the same niche that brought Banjo & Kazooie, Ridley, and King K. Rool). They're remarkably similar characters at the end of the day.

I like both, and I'd love to see both get in. And I think if they get in, they get in due to extremely lucky circumstances with the right people pulling for them (Monolith Soft for KOS-MOS and Sakurai himself for Geno). Let's face it, extremely few people would be considering either of them if it were not for those outside parties giving them a greater importance through their own passion for them (Sakurai resurrecting Geno through a Mii costume and KOS-MOS getting to crossover in XC2 thanks to Monolith Soft). I just don't really think that either need to be argued as especially important or notable beyond those reasons. It's fine for characters to just have specific circumstances in their favor.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

More and more people are tapping into the heart of the cards and feeling the hype. The universe is willing Master Chief into existence and those willing to listen can hear the song.

I'll say it one more time:

Dante is Fighter 5
Master Chief is Fighter 6

Both will be announced at the Game Awards.

Our gang grows bigger and bigger
hi_e319_twtr_jump-eef7c1946cd34d37b7e8e873e3053a4a.gif

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It seems really shitty to mark Geno off as "a side character" when he's main character alongside all party members like any JRPG with a party system. He's not the lead character you interact in an over-world with, but neither is KOS-MOS for that matter. You certainly encounter KOS-MOS sooner than Geno, but she's in an extremely similar situation being an important party member that plays an essential role in the plot. Neither are the "lead," but they are certainly main characters of the overall plot and as all party members should be (and both play more essential roles than basic party members at that). They both deserve the recognition of "deuteragonists" if anything. They're actually remarkably similar in a lot of ways when it comes down to really analyzing them. Hell, the total sales of the Xenosaga series and Super Mario RPG are comparable.

I get you don't like Geno or Super Mario RPG, but I don't really understand why you're taking this approach in a "Geno vs KOS-MOS" type moment. And while KOS-MOS has made some notable crossover appearances (in similarly niche games to Xenosaga), her chances for Smash also similarly come down to a complicated past that relates more closely to Nintendo than your average third party with a decent fan base behind them.

Yeah, I feel like people are jumping a bit too much to claim "gatekeeping" when people are just sort of analyzing KOS-MOS and her place in Smash versus other options. Again, I say this as a Geno supporter who knows he has to be handled and considered very decently from basically every other character given his rather unique circumstances.
Let me correct myself on one thing. Geno is a playable character, but he is a Mario spin-off character who has had no further appearances of any meaning outside of that one game.

People remember Mario RPGs, including Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, as Mario games. Geno gets no special exception there. He's a Mario character whose inclusion in anything is made more complicated by the fact that he's owned by Square Enix.

That last factor alone complicates him far more than KOS-MOS. While she is a Bandai Namco character, she has much closer and more relevant ties to a major Nintendo studio in the present day and her presence on Nintendo platforms has a wider and deeper history dating back to Xenosaga 1&2 on the DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.