• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do like the idea of Doug Bowser leaking fake stuff out to sabi and vergeben and being purposely contradictory about it

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Again with this.

For the last time I don't hate you. I would have blocked you if I did. I just notice you complain about this every single time it crops us.

And we see other people complaining about it at this point as well. One poster outright said they were leaving the Smash speculation scene until Character 5 was revealed. (And I wouldn't be surprised if others have quietly decided to step back from Smash speculation too.)

Yes, there are people who are humoring this. But we're seeing more people finally as fed up with this bullshit as I am.

Aug 12, 2019
I'm glad that people aren't jumping on that because it's seriously just how Sakurai talks. I wasn't surprised at all when I read that.

I mean, it's actually the closest thing to relevant information we've heard since Terry (and it's something to talk about that isn't Sabi and Verge attention whoring their way through a gullible and desperate fan base).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And we see other people complaining about it at this point as well. One poster outright said they were leaving the Smash speculation scene until Character 5 was revealed. (And I wouldn't be surprised if others have quietly decided to step back from Smash speculation too.)

Yes, there are people who are humoring this. But we're seeing more people finally as fed up with this bullshit as I am.
It annoys me too but as I've learned from my constant complaints about stupid gimmick posters just complaining about it is sadly not going to do anything.

Sometimes you just have to let these things pass on their own. With any luck they'll be blown out within the week.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Watching Sabi and Verge make a fool of themselves

EuFt.gif

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I don't see how Vergeben and Sabi don't come out of this without their credibility torpedoed, but I know for a fact people will just continue to believe them once they backpedal. Smash fans are really, really dumb.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
It's a stage representing Sticker Star, TTYD and PM64 (I think, maybe Bowser also has a castle like that in SS, didn't play until the end that one)
But the boat clearly represents The Thousand Year Door, if you play with the PM medley music on, it even plays the music from the town of TTYD during that part.
Aww shit I forgot the TTYD reference. Not sure if PM64 counts, but I suppose since its reference is a character that activates stage transformtation, it could be big enough.

Thanks, editing it. Paper Mario technically got ok stage representation.

Jul 5, 2019
Valve is one of the few ones to not be on that list, so time to bring out my #ChellForSmash support! There are dozens of us. (That said, don't think I really believe these deconfirmations at this point anyway.)

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow that list by Vergeben is hilarious. Like holy shit the only reason why Sabi and Verg "deconfirming" characters was fun was because it narrowed the gap enough but at this point Verg ruled out like 80% of the industry

Maybe he is right but goddamn is it likely he's going to be wrong and Sabi too if they corroborate it

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people listen to Vergeben? Or "insiders" in general? The accuracy is always crap or non-existent.

But to humor that list:
It doesn't say it's "not Level-5". Clearly #5 is Jibanyan

A lot of people genuinely don't know Nintendo owns The Wonderful 101.

Yeah, it's dumb. I remember back when Sakurai showed off the Wonder-Red trophy on Miiverse, 70% of the comments were "THIRD PARTY TROPHY". The ignorance is astounding.

Please tell me you're joking.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people listen to Vergeben? Or "insiders" in general? The accuracy is always crap or non-existent.
Smash speculation entails months if not years of supporting characters, and that ends up with people becoming too attached to certain newcomers. This ends up with people clinging to whatever threads they see that could support their cause, no matter how flimsy they are.

It's a lot like supporting a political party.

Oct 25, 2017
Smash speculation entails months if not years of supporting characters, and that ends up with people becoming too attached to certain newcomers. This ends up with people clinging to whatever threads they see that could support their cause, no matter how flimsy they are.

It's a lot like supporting a political party.

Ewww. Some people need a separate hobby...

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Ewww. Some people need a separate hobby...
A big part of all nerd subcultures involves tribalism by virtue of the expense cost that is involved in partaking in the hobby in the first place. Smash is very prone to exacerbating that since, by the nature of the game, you get to see a lot of different fandoms compete for a bye, in a manner of speech.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
If we're taking all these deconfirmations seriously, for some reason, no one is looking at indie games.

All this time we expected Shovel Knight or Shantae and we get CommanderVideo.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
If Chosen Undead is revealed, Sabi will obviously play dumb about Bandai Namco's stake and claim to believe that only FromSoftware was involved.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
*Dante gets revealed*

Sabi: Oh my source was confused, they thought the Dante everyone wanted was the literary character and fan fiction writer, not the Devil May Cry character.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
If FP5 is Saber I'd be so happy. I've never even touched Fate but I've been grilling most of my local Smash community saying "of course it's her" because they all don't want her. I'd die laughing

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Sabi just never commits to any claim; all their "deconfirmations" are full of maybes and "I'll have to check it out better" and such. That's how she believes she's mistake proof.

If someone of her deconfirmed list ended being the 5th Fighter, she will say that she never truly deconfirmed that character in definitive. Just said "don't expect it"

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I'm genuinely confused as to why Verg is doing this. If he doesn't know, he'd be better off just making a direct claim as to who it is than eliminating 99% of the gaming industry in this long, drawn-out elimination contest. It just makes him look even worse in the end, if he's wrong, and it's harder to walk back when you make tens of distinct claims.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I'm genuinely confused as to why Verg is doing this. If he doesn't know, he'd be better off just making a direct claim as to who it is than eliminating 99% of the gaming industry in this long, drawn-out elimination contest. It just makes him look even worse in the end, if he's wrong, and it's harder to walk back when you make tens of distinct claims.
It's their act now. Just gotta draw it out for as long as possible as long as the comments are coming in. I doubt either of them know a thing.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
But if the goal is to get attention while knowing nothing (which it is) then making multiple claims is better because that's just more attention to be gained.

And clearly the masses don't care about incorrect predictions because there are those out there that still care what they think despite precedent.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's their act now. Just gotta draw it out for as long as possible as long as the comments are coming in. I doubt either of them know a thing.
That's what annoys me about Smash speculation outside of Era. People keep treating those two like gods when they obviously don't know shit. If either of them knew who the character was, they would have said something by now. This clout-chasing act that they're trying to pull is as tiring as it is annoying.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK

I actually appreciate the comments going "where the hell is "X" character". Just shows there's way more than 100
While I'm happy that Twintelle made it into the Top 15, I honestly feel like she should be in the Top 10. But hey, great work overall.
Understood! I think our position towards the end was "who are the utter most iconic characters" but Twintelle is incredibly important and would be super fun.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I actually appreciate the comments going "where the hell is "X" character". Just shows there's way more than 100
I guess this answers my question of which of the two got into the Top 50. Though going with the Akira version, they're technically female by default, so it wasn't really an exception. Either way, even though I wish Twintelle ranked higher, I love the fact that you all worked on this. *thumbs up*

Mar 9, 2018
"Get out of here Kiddy Kong" said the one. "Come back, Kiddy Kong, and be used for select special attacks by Dixie Kong in Super Smash Bros." said the many.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Understood! I think our position towards the end was "who are the utter most iconic characters" but Twintelle is incredibly important and would be super fun.
That's a fair point. I guess you could argue otherwise for Pyra/Mythra, but they're the undisputed co-stars of Xenoblade 2 alongside Rex, while Twintelle had to wrestle the status of ARMS's Leading Lady away from Ribbon Girl.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I love Makoto I can't justify another Persona character and then the female Persona rep should be Maya but.. no one knows her.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Sabi and Vegeben: *claim to deconfirm huge swaths of characters*

Me, who's super cynical about the chances of any character but also honestly hasn't been taking any of the claims from either of them seriously since this whole thing started: "Well, honestly Doomslayer's pet rabbit being named Daisy is a more convincing argument in favor of him getting in than anything else that's been presented so far, unlike the usual cloud-gazing in screenshots this one had a deliberate framing and Sakurai loves making references. Not gonna jump out of my seat if it turns out he's not in either but-

Sabi and Vergeben: *lighting things on fire in the background as the masses run screaming in terror aflame*

Me, actively ignoring the entire scene and continuing on my tangent: -it would make sense for Sakurai to drop that kind of cheeky reference if there was intended to be a reveal by now, so if Captain Testosterone shows up at the Game Awards then we're all gonna look back at that screenshot in hindsight and go 'oh well that makes sense.'"

Status
Not open for further replies.