• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Why do people keep pointing the fact out that Geralt came from a book series?
I don't think he is coming to Smash but that didn't stop him from Daemon X Machina or Soul Calibur.
CDPR can do with the video game likeness of Geralt what they want.
I think he is an exception compared to Goku or Vader.
Soul Calibur also has Darth Vader in it, those don't follow the same rules as Smash.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think he is coming to Smash but that didn't stop him from Daemon X Machina or Soul Calibur.
Sakurai's criteria for choosing characters for Smash isn't the same as DxM having promotional crossover content or however Bandai Namco decides on Soulcalibur or Tekken guest characters.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Daemon X Machina and Soul Calibur don't have an explicit "no non-video game characters" rule straight from the director.

Aug 12, 2019

Daemon X Machina and Soul Calibur don't have the same "video game characters only" rule that Smash does... Why bring them up?

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think Sakurai would make one exception for Geralt. He originated from a book, but he is clearly most well-associated with the games based on those books.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
meanwhile brawlhala has Steven Universe characters, Rayman, Yooka-Laylee, hellboy and *checks notes* WWE Wrestlers????

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
There's a snake in my boot
e3f.jpg

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see what arbitrary rule the Smash community clings to once the whole "character must originate from a video game" rules is inevitably broken someday via some technicality (like Gerault for example).

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I can't wait to see what arbitrary rule the Smash community clings to once the whole "character must originate from a video game" rules is inevitably broken someday via some technicality (like Gerault for example).
Geralt would be an exception to the rule, not an indication that Spider-Man and Goku are in the running

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Goku is in video games too.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Unlike all fan rules, "Must originate from a video game" is a rule directly from Sakurai that he's reiterated multiple times.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Geralt in the video games is very much his own thing whereas Goku in video games is still Goku from the anime

wedl

Oct 26, 2017
monster hunter or puyo puyo crossing over with stuff that's not games never made sakurai go "oh wait i can get SAILOR MOON in this game??" so i dont know why a boring smash clone with way too much money behind it getting wrestlers and cartoon characters would change their minds

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I pointed Goku and Vader out in the tweet and said that I feel like Geralt falls into a different pocket yet people reply with Vader was in SC. Goddamn it, Smash fans are so petty about characters they don't want. Anyway I don't think he works for Smash anyway.
I am just saying that Geralt kind of has established himself as a different entity in games than his book origins.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
By that logic, Android 21 qualifies for Smash.
Make it so.

Final Smash:
jFyzNaq.gif

I pointed Goku and Vader out in the tweet and said that I feel like Geralt falls into a different pocket yet people reply with Vader was in SC. Goddamn it, Smash fans are so petty about characters they don't want. Anyway I don't think he works for Smash anyway.
I am just saying that Geralt kind of has established himself as a different entity in games than his book origins.
I have no problem with Geralt getting in (and would be hyped because it would open the door to Goku). My response was to point out that there's really no difference between Geralt and Goku with regard to Sakurai's rule. They both originated outside video games. That's what the rule was.

wedl

Oct 26, 2017
Serious question: Why would an explicitly "Arkham" Batman not be a serious candidate? He would be representing a popular and influential ongoing video game series, after all.
well then why can't spider man or bart simpson be in?? they were all stars on nintendo systems back in the day

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You specifically used Geralt being in Soul Calibur as a reason he's different from a different Soul Calibur character, what do you expect? lol

Shaggy should get into Dragon Ball Fighterz waaaay before Woody.

only if it's Rojo

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think people here have a different view of Geralt because his books/movie/tv show weren't really a thing outside of Poland (and maybe other Eastern European countries) and most discovered him through the games.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If all the Dragon Ball manga and anime and toys disappeared off the face of the planet tomorrow and all that was left were the games, Dragon Ball would still be the second biggest Japanese video game franchise not yet repped in Smash, second only to Resident Evil.

Just a thought.

May 30, 2018
Mascot of the best 2D Fighting game this gen, 54 million units of various games sold, best soundtrack in a fighting game (Ultimate Battle 22), but he still can't make it in since he didn't originate from games smh.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I am the first person who doesn't want any non-video game characters in Smash. Just saying I could see the exception for Geralt only.
Most people had no idea the books even existed.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Mascot of the best 2D Fighting game this gen, 54 million units of various games sold, best soundtrack in a fighting game (Ultimate Battle 22), but he still can't make it in since he didn't originate from games smh.

Well, yes. That's what Smash Bros. is: A celebration of of characters that originated in video games.

You may as well be complaining that Superman and Batman don't appear in Avengers Endgame.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If all the Dragon Ball manga and anime and toys disappeared off the face of the planet tomorrow and all that was left were the games, Dragon Ball would still be the second biggest Japanese video game franchise not yet repped in Smash, second only to Resident Evil.

Just a thought.
So you're saying Goku would get sent to the Spirit Event Dimension?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
When will prople on other websites stop parroting Vergeben and Sabi, lmao
I've been critical before they "deconfirmed" Sora, so it isn't even just because they said Sora. It's just a dumb song and dance at this point.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Because he's still Batman, a comic book character owned by DC Comics.
...but he'd explicitly be referencing his video game series. With this logic, Pokémon shouldn't be represented, as the majority of revenue comes from merchandise/anime/card games, not video games. Jigglypuff is only in smash due to anime popularity and shares more in common with its anime form than its appearance in Red/Blue.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Serious question: Why would an explicitly "Arkham" Batman not be a serious candidate? He would be representing a popular and influential ongoing video game series, after all.
That's an interesting question, actually. I'd argue that Batman has so many different iterations that any one iteration that is chosen for Smash would also represent Batman as a whole, which is not a video game franchise.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Exception to the rule just like how Banjo will be the only western IP after FP2 in the game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I just found this image I made before Smash Ultimate was fully revealed at E3 2018, and it's pretty funny in hindsight

DYXh2u4W4AIAGSe

My thinking behind it was "what if Smash had a generally more bubbly aesthetic", and with character designs/incarnations more closely resembling the most recent games. I guess I was also pessimistic about Ridley's chances so went with Sylux + Metroid acting like an evil version of Rosalina + Luma.

Don't think about how the bottom row would be obscured by Players 2 - 3

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
...but he'd explicitly be referencing his video game series. With this logic, Pokémon shouldn't be represented, as the majority of revenue comes from merchandise/anime/card games, not video games. Jigglypuff is only in smash due to anime popularity and shares more in common with its anime form than its appearance in Red/Blue.
Pokemon began as a video game. All of the merchandise and anime are made to promote a video game franchise.

Batman began life in comic books. He's had video games over the years, but he's a comic book character. There's nothing special about Arkham series Batman to differentiate that. He's still Batman.

May 30, 2018
Well, yes. That's what Smash Bros. is: A celebration of of characters that originated in video games.

You may as well be complaining that Superman and Batman don't appear in Avengers Endgame.

No, that's what Smash Bros was. It's time for the franchise to go full MUGEN.

1999: What if mario, Pikachu, Link, and Samus fought each other?

2022: What if Mario, Sonic, Goku, and Spiderman fought each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.