• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
User Banned (3 Months): Transphobic trolling; dismissing concerns of representation. History of similar dismissive commentary.
Let's get Flea from Chrono Trigger and Bridget from Guilty Gear in our all female characters dlc pack.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering it seems more popular to mock Boba lately I'm not sure that's the horse you wanna bet on. At least use Maul. People still seem to like him.

Boba Fett rose to a level above his station off the back of a dedicated fandom thanks to an iconic design and the all important cool factor. We probably wouldn't have that new shot with baby Yoda if not for Boba Fett accruing a fanbase by being a really badass table lamp.

They're like Castlevania with bad Western anime art.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I just don't understand how and why Reimu suddenly became this big candidate everyone talks about.

Like, I legimiately never heard of her or her franchise until people started talking about it for Ultimate. I never heard any major support for Reimu during the Brawl and Smash 4 eras.

I remember I first ever saw Reimu being pushed around when I was reading /v/ Smash Ultimate threads (yeah, I know) and I just assumed it was some attempt at trolling Smash fans (ie Steve), but then eventually I see places like ResetEra actually legimitately discuss her and I'm like "what?"

Like, at least with Shantae, I could kinda see where her fans come from. She's basically a holdover from the Wii U era where third parties had mostly abandoned Nintendo and all they were left with by the time the ballot started in 2015 were indie developlers like Wayforward, which naturally colored the perception of Nintendo/Smash fans at the time. I just don't get where all this Reimu talk came from.
Touhou was only officially released in Japan until a couple years ago, which is probably why western discussion sites didn't talk about her much for past games.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shantae 1 and Risky's Revenge are rough but there serviceable platformers. Pirate's Curse might be one of my favorite platformers ever and while not as good 1/2 Genie Hero is a genuinely great game after they finished adding all the DLC.

Seven Sirens looks to be combining the best parts of PC and 1/2GH and I'm greatly looking forward to it.

So no you're wrong.

"Combining the best parts" would imply there's anything salvageable from those games.

If game quality were a criterion for entry into Smash we wouldn't have Kirby characters

Okay slow down there buckaroo

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand how and why Reimu suddenly became this big candidate everyone talks about.

Like, I legimiately never heard of her or her franchise until people started talking about it for Ultimate. I never heard any major support for Reimu during the Brawl and Smash 4 eras.

I remember I first ever saw Reimu being pushed around when I was reading /v/ Smash Ultimate threads (yeah, I know) and I just assumed it was some attempt at trolling Smash fans (ie Steve), but then eventually I see places like ResetEra actually legimitately discuss her and I'm like "what?"

Like, at least with Shantae, I could kinda see where her fans come from. She's basically a holdover from the Wii U era where third parties had mostly abandoned Nintendo and all they were left with by the time the ballot started in 2015 were indie developlers like Wayforward, which naturally colored the perception of Nintendo/Smash fans at the time. I just don't get where all this Reimu talk came from.
Reimu support in the western side of internet definitely started in pockets and most likely got co-opted by troll users.

That being said, if you're still going to bat for the idea of an indie rep, there's not many more characters you can really root for - especially in the context of Japan, which here in the west, we have a comparatively smaller understanding of their indie scene. Outside of Cave Story (which has Nicalis' paw prints all over it now) Touhou may be the one exception since its pop culture influence transcended the language barrier and actually had a footprint in mid-aughts meme culture.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Reimu is an incredibly obvious option in hindsight.

Touhou is ridiculously popular and influential.

I've personally never played one, but I need that music.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
If game quality were a criterion for entry into Smash we wouldn't have Kirby characters

giphy.gif

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like while people wouldn't know Reimu a lot more would at least be aware of Touhou. If for no other reason then memes.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
They actually went back to promoting Overwatch Switch about 2 weeks after the initial controversy broke out.
Yeah I think they will avoid tweeting about it but Overwatch is in the Featured tab on the eShop

By the time Overwatch 2 is worth tweeting about the controversy will be dead enough that Nintendo themselves can tweet about it again

The internet's attention span is short

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Treehouse: "so we looked at ResetEra to see what the smash fans are saying and...they think every video game sucks"

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Mario's Time Machine, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Star Fox Command, Metroid Prime: Federation Force, Pokémon Dash, Yoshi's New Island

No franchise is sacred and pure
I couldn't think in generally badly received F-Zero, EarthBound and Kirby games :p

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario's Time Machine, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Star Fox Command, Metroid Prime: Federation Force, Pokémon Dash, Yoshi's New Island

No franchise is sacred and pure
I couldn't think in generally badly received F-Zero, EarthBound and Kirby games :p
Mother 1 hasn't exactly aged gracefully.

Plum

May 31, 2018
But if you're going with that as your premise for picking a character, Reimu is the much better option. Touhou is the creation of one single guy and grew a lot bigger than Shantae while still staying indie.

I don't know, it's just that I've literally never seen Touhou mentioned outside of 'niche' circles whereas Shantae is a franchise that you can walk into your local Gamestop and buy a physical copy of. I'm really not sure that "Internet Fandom Hype," is something that creates the kind of mainstream recognition focused on gaming history that a character really 'needs' to appear in Smash.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
So it turns out I actually did have some exposure to Touhou prior to Smash, I just wasn't aware at the time.

WalrusGuy (a then popular Youtube Poop creator) made this remix of "U.N Owen Was Her" utilizing Ratatoing (the creepy brazilian knockoff of Ratatouille)

At the time, I didn't know where this song came from and I didn't know it was attached to a game series.

Status
Not open for further replies.