• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
A poll situation update.

I had a nice long nap with one or two submissions pouring in, which were easy enough to merge in. The clock is still ticking for a little more than a day though.

I'm a bit undecided regarding timing of phase 2. On one hand, a longer break would be helpful with setting up phase 2 itself (hopefully it won't be in vain and you'll like the results), and discussing some of the possibly controversial edge cases. On the other hand it would be best to have the results ready and shown off before The Geoff Awards, and I'm sure unable to handle the showing off part myself, given my graphical "talent". (Cue avatar quote.)

So here's the current plan. I don't know if I'll have the new form ready the moment phase 1 ends. However I will almost certainly be able to tell you about those edge cases in detail, and hopefully any serious objections involving phase 2 will be possible to be derived from that.

To focus on setting up the next part, as opposed to merging in more data from current phase, this is the last time I am posting the link, barring some huge event that screws with stuff and warrants another extension (and I don't consider a second spirit bomb or proof-less Twitter talk that). Feel free to do it yourself if you think I'm cheating. You can hide the link with equivalent of (HIDE)link(/HIDE), except with square brackets.
t1575216000z0.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Skye's a delight, she has some amazing music too

Insider hint alert! Insider hint alert! What is the most famous Japanese advertisement game? That's what he's hinting at, right? Or is it the direct deal?! DARKENED SKYE?! Will Skye be able to fight Snake? Will Sakurai write Skye's moveset under the influence of alcohol?! Will Skittles get a spirit?!?!

Lmao I missed this. The truth.

And yeah, so far, only Max Dood recognized instantly all those characters (except maybe Corrin, but he recognized Fire Emblem instantly).
Introducing Maximilian Dood Theory. If a character isn't recognized by Maximilian Dood based on the first 5 frames of their trailer, the probability of their inclusion may be up to 140% lower than suggested by other metrics. Quickly! We may achieve victory for #YourMainWishHere by indoctrinating him!

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

click burgundy was commissioned by Konami to do the art for the Belmonts in the lead up to the base game a year ago . Now he does Puyo Puyo

CLEARLY Arle is in

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
If it pleases the court, I've discovered upon searching "idolmaster" and "sword" that appparently idolmaster does have a "holy sword" belonging to one "Ranko Kanzaki". And upon searching for this person, who apparently is doing Robin poses. With books. You know who else is associated with books? Tales of and their recently trademarked book logo.

Looks like this performance has been... cancelled.
Well since you bring up Ranko, her music wouldn't be out of place on the Castlevania stage:

Ranko_SS_SSR3%2B.png

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Good point Weiss, Eggman doubles as a long wanted second sonic rep, AND puyo representation, even as recently as sonic mania.
Sorry Arle Ndjua Sausage

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
This one was crazy since my only complaint about that trailer was that the jiggy gave it away and made it too obvious before the big moment.

Then 80% of the reaction videos didn't realize it at all.
I didn't even see the Jiggy my first time watching it, honestly. I thought the noise was coming from outside DK's house.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
This one was crazy since my only complaint about that trailer was that the jiggy gave it away and made it too obvious before the big moment.

Then 80% of the reaction videos didn't realize it at all.

I looked away for the split second it happened, though I heard the sound and thought it might be a jiggy. I think though for the live reaction, even if I had seen it, I probably wouldn't have been able to process it in time. Its easy to tell in hindsight.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I knew exactly what was going on the instant the Jiggy popped up. It was a bless for BK fans.

Looking back, I can't think of a single reveal video that doesn't "spoil" the character before they actually show up. Everything either leaked or is made too obvious. Rosalina in Smash 4 was probably the most surprising one, but even that one got ruined because Nintendo, in one of the earlier Intern-kun antics, messed up and uploaded the whole Direct for about a minute until they deleted it and streamed it, ruining the surprise.

The Pac-Man video would have been great had it not been shown behind closed doors (although that trailer was clearly the most rushed of all).

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
When I saw the Jiggy in the Banjo trailer I jumped out of my sit and accidentally tapped buttons on the controller (I was watching the Direct through my Switch), so the stream paused. When I realized and pressed play again, the splashcreen was already showing lol

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The WFT trailer was great because nobody believed that was for Smash (and more for Nintendo characters in Wii Fit or something).

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight, we should of known it was Banjo the moment when they showed the other three playable Rare charcters in the game together lol

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Who would've thought when Wii Fit came out that this girl would one day fight Ryu and Terry Bogard?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
A great trailer ruined by the fact they left it out of the E3 Direct so when 99.9% of the viewers saw it they already knew WFT was in Smash.
I understand why they did it that way.

You can't show it before the official Smash 4 reveal. During Smash 4 reveal would probably mess up the pacing. Can't show it after Megaman either.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It's kinda absurd how badly they fucked up the reveals during E3.

Yeah, absolutely bizzare that they included the Rosalina trailer in the direct (probably the least exciting/surprising), but just had the WFT and PAC-MAN trailers randomly shown later.

Thankfully, they learned and Smash Ultimate has been nothing but 100% good timing so far.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
WFT getting the snub was still not as baffling as Palutena getting show instead of Pac-Man.

It's fucking PAC-MAN, one of (if not THE) most recognizable video game characters of all time. Should we show him during the E3 direct? Nah, save him for the journos. Everyone else will get this character that most people won't recognize because KIU isn't fucking PAC-MAN.

I understand why they did it that way.

You can't show it before the official Smash 4 reveal. During Smash 4 reveal would probably mess up the pacing. Can't show it after Megaman either.
Then you show it during a later Direct and not have WFT in the E3 build of the game.

The whole trailer is predicated on surprise, but it falls apart because there's no surprise.

Aug 12, 2019
It's kinda absurd how badly they fucked up the reveals during E3.

I mean, they did show off Villager followed by freaking Mega Man at E3 2013, so I'd say they made the right call. Wii Fit Trainer was straight up a WTF type character, so showing her off separately worked pretty well.

E3 2014 and not showing Pac-Man was the real fuck-up though. Even if I also understand why they did it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A great trailer ruined by the fact they left it out of the E3 Direct so when 99.9% of the viewers saw it they already knew WFT was in Smash.

I heard WFT was in Smash through a tweet from Black Nerd Comedy. And he had to respond that it was real, because nobody believed him, lol.

(2:01 in the video if the clip doesn't work.)

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They've definitely learned since the Smash 4 days - no E3 showfloor drops, no random trailers on a weekday morning, no reveals tacked onto the end of Japan only Directs. Every trailer has had maximum exposure this time around.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
They've definitely learned since the Smash 4 days - no E3 showfloor drops, no random trailers on a weekday morning, no reveals tacked onto the end of Japan only Directs. Every trailer has had maximum exposure this time around.
Also revealing every single returning character upfront felt so good. Even if we didn't get "everyone was here", we'd at least not have to wait until launch to find out if our favorite made the cut. That and I felt less compelled to obsess over the website because they might reveal a character randomly.

Smash Ultimate's marketing was a massive step up from Smash 3DS/U.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Ultimate really is a unique game and marketing campaign that could have only come from the Wii U bombing and having to immediately reflect on the 3DS/Wii U versions and marketing campaign.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
before E3 2018, I said on GameXplain Discord channel that they should reveal every veteran at once and let the few newcomers for the rest of the pre-release hype (and at that time I believed the game was a slighty modiefed port of Smash4 with few newcomers). but people said "no! of course they won't do that! they want to build up hype and they will OBVIOUSLY slowly reveal veterans until release!"

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I knew exactly what was going on the instant the Jiggy popped up. It was a bless for BK fans.

Looking back, I can't think of a single reveal video that doesn't "spoil" the character before they actually show up. Everything either leaked or is made too obvious. Rosalina in Smash 4 was probably the most surprising one, but even that one got ruined because Nintendo, in one of the earlier Intern-kun antics, messed up and uploaded the whole Direct for about a minute until they deleted it and streamed it, ruining the surprise.

The Pac-Man video would have been great had it not been shown behind closed doors (although that trailer was clearly the most rushed of all).
Joker doesn't spoil that it's a Smash reveal, so I'd say that counts in being surprising.

Bayo's trailer also was really good. There's a few hints it could be her but until she spoke I had no idea since I just assumed she'd be impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.