• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Alis Landale is the star of the first Phantasy Star, released in Japan in 1987. Literally days after the original Final Fantasy. And a year after the first Metroid. And unlike Metroid, Phantasy Star didn't hide the fact that its protagonist was a woman.

(The original PS even predates Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest)'s and Final Fantasy's releases in North America. And it actually released in Europe on its original hardware.)

Phantasy Star seemed to deliberately try to shake up the status quo of RPGs of its era beyond its protagonist. It had a sci-fi setting instead of a fantasy setting. It had first person dungeon exploration instead of a top-down view (PS' sequels had top-down dungeons).

I think more people should be rooting for Alis. She's pretty great.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I should also add that Alis existed before a lot of the tropes around female characters existed. So she wore heavy armor and weapons in addition to using magic.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
As an outsider, Phantasy Star Online is the only recognizable/mainstream-feeling Phantasy Star game, and that's not really known for its characters. The series was really, really niche before that.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
In my dream world, Fighter Pass #2 is ALL girl characters, and marketed as such. One every other month, lasting us through 2020.

Jill
2B with A2 alt.
Kos-Mos OR Kasumi
Lara Croft
and then the home run final reveal...Chun-Li
I'll be honest, another Street Fighter rep to finish off a pass doesn't really feel like a home run ending to me. There's so many potential females out there from a variety of genres. Like Mimi and Nyami from Pop'n Music as a quick example.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So, it's been about a week since Terry released. For everyone who has gotten around to adjusting My Music for the KoF stage, what are your top 3 songs? Mine are:

1. Haremar Faith Capoeira School ~ Song of the Fight (Believers Will Be Saved) - My gosh, that's a mouthful. I put this as #1 because this is the only song of the SNK playlist that I actually have nostalgia before. This song never left my head even though I hadn't played Fatal Fury 1 for nearly two decades. In fact, I didn't even recognize the song at first, because I only played the Genesis version of Fatal Fury 1. But as I listened to it, it just suddenly dawned on me that this was that song! I had no idea it had chanting going on in the arcade version, so that was pretty neat to pick up on. It helps that it's a very energetic song, too.

Here's the Genesis version of the song for comparison:

2. Ne! ~ KoF '94 - If SNK had a main theme song, this would be it. It perfectly encapsulates the arcade origins of the company with an easily identifiable and memorable melody.

3. Psycho Soldier - It's really cool how this is apparently the first vocal song recorded for a video game, and it's pretty catchy too. I put both versions high in My Music but prefer the Japanese version over the Overseas one due to it containing full lyrics (the Overseas version has one verse, an instrumental portion, then the same first verse before looping).

Nov 13, 2017
I'll be honest, another Street Fighter rep to finish off a pass doesn't really feel like a home run ending to me. There's so many potential females out there from a variety of genres. Like Mimi and Nyami from Pop'n Music as a quick example.
Chun-Li is a literal icon. To even put her name and characters like Mimi and whoever the heck in the same sentence is insulting.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
the original Phantasy Star was a pretty popular game in Brazil, since it was the first (if not the only? I'm not sure) official fully Portuguese translated Master System games. Of course, the localization was far from ideal, but it was somewhat a proud moment.

I was comfortable playing my platforming games that required little to no reading though (I was like... 5 or 6 :p)

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
More important, yes. Sakurai applying this label to Terry Bogard of all characters (the mascot of an entire company) tells us what he considers the baseline of recognizability for Smash guest characters. It's still a very exclusive club. It doesn't mean some random niche third-party character from a couple of forgotten games is suddenly more likely to be included.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
More important, yes. Sakurai applying this label to Terry Bogard of all characters (the mascot of an entire company) tells us what he considers the baseline of recognizability for Smash guest characters. It's still a very exclusive club. It doesn't mean some random niche third-party character from a couple of forgotten games is suddenly more likely to be included.
Sakurai wasn't applying that as a Terry baseline. He was telling the zoomers to quit their whining about characters they don't know.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Has Alis been in anything else other than the first Phantasy Star?

Because I don't mind supporting her but like... I honestly think Estelle has a better chance. And considering how unlikely I think Estelle is, that's really saying something.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Chun-Li is a literal icon. To even put her name and characters like Mimi and whoever the heck in the same sentence is insulting.
I literally just plucked some names out of the air to add some variety to the thread since we cycle through the same names over and over and you get insulted by that? Come on sunshine. I wasn't even comparing them. And it's kind of funny to say I was the insulting one when you use a phrase like "whoever the heck" in reference to Nyami. I'm just not personally keen on another fighting game rep at the moment since we just got one. You don't have to see it as an attack.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

There's a very America-centric viewpoint in roster discussions around here sometimes. Phantasy Star saw release outside of Japan and the US in a time when Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest did not.

I also wouldn't even say Phantasy Star is "obscure" considering what a push Phantasy Star Online II got at E3.

Do I think it's the likeliest next Sega series in Smash? No. But I also don't think it's some impossible dream either.

Nov 13, 2017
I literally just plucked some names out of the air to add some variety to the thread since we cycle through the same names over and over and you get insulted by that? Come on sunshine. I wasn't even comparing them. And it's kind of funny to say I was the insulting one when you use a phrase like "whoever the heck" in reference to Nyami. I'm just not personally keen on another fighting game rep at the moment since we just got one. You don't have to see it as an attack.
Put some respect on her name!!!! :P

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Mimi and Nyami appear in Super Bomberman R alongside Snake and Simon

they're already halfway to Smash. make peace with it

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta is the baseline if anyone.

Only one game that barely cracked 1 million on its initial release, and a sequel that bombed before it got ported to Switch.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alis Landale is the star of the first Phantasy Star, released in Japan in 1987. Literally days after the original Final Fantasy. And a year after the first Metroid. And unlike Metroid, Phantasy Star didn't hide the fact that its protagonist was a woman.

(The original PS even predates Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest)'s and Final Fantasy's releases in North America. And it actually released in Europe on its original hardware.)

Phantasy Star seemed to deliberately try to shake up the status quo of RPGs of its era beyond its protagonist. It had a sci-fi setting instead of a fantasy setting. It had first person dungeon exploration instead of a top-down view (PS' sequels had top-down dungeons).

My Sega points are dedicated to Kiryu, Arle, & Knuckles.

Cool that she's the lead though, never knew that.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Has Alis been in anything else other than the first Phantasy Star?

Because I don't mind supporting her but like... I honestly think Estelle has a better chance. And considering how unlikely I think Estelle is, that's really saying something.

Alis makes a cameo appearance in Phantasy Star II and Phantasy Star IV. She also plays a significant role in the Japan-only Segagaga (where she's got blonde hair for some reason). There is another character in Phantasy Star Online 2 with the name Alis Landale. And she was part of a Phantasy Star event in the mobile game Sega Heroes.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Sega has a LOT of really cool IPs that they've been sitting on and not really utilizing. To make things worse, a lot of these series have female leads. Puyo, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, Space Channel 5, as well as arguably Golden Axe, among others, are all female-led series that would fit super well into Smash (well, SoR has an ensemble cast, but Blaze is by far the most recognizable character out of them, and Tyris was the sole main protag of the last Golden Axe game, Beast Rider, even though Gilius is usually more associated with being the series' mascot).

Unfortunately, almost all of these series are lying dormant, with only Puyo getting ongoing support and the new SoR coming out. PS Online has taken over the proper Phantasy Star games.

Alis makes a cameo appearance in Phantasy Star II and Phantasy Star IV. She also plays a significant role in the Japan-only Segagaga (where she's got blonde hair for some reason). There is another character in Phantasy Star Online 2 with the name Alis Landale. And she was part of a Phantasy Star event in the mobile game Sega Heroes.

And one of the main characters in Phantasy Star IV was called Alys, and is implied to be a descendant of the PS I Alis.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta is the baseline if anyone.

Only one game that barely cracked 1 million on its initial release, and a sequel that bombed before it got ported to Switch.
Bayonetta was also a highly requested character, and Bayonetta 2 was published by Nintendo and released to critical acclaim months before the Smash Ballot opened. She made a lot of sense at the time. The context for each third-party inclusion matters. None of us is right or wrong -- that's the point of speculating -- but I genuinely can't think of a single reason why someone like Alis would be made into a DLC character for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta was also a highly requested character, and Bayonetta 2 was published by Nintendo and released to critical acclaim months before the Smash Ballot opened. She made a lot of sense at the time. The context for each third-party inclusion matters. None of us is right or wrong -- that's the point of speculating -- but I genuinely can't think of a single reason why someone like Alis would be made into a DLC character for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
I'm not really arguing in favor of Alis (I can't argue in favor of something I've never played), I just disagree with Terry being the baseline of recognizability.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Sega has a LOT of really cool IPs that they've been sitting on and not really utilizing. To make things worse, a lot of these series have female leads. Puyo, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, Space Channel 5, as well as arguably Golden Axe, among others, are all female-led series that would fit super well into Smash (well, SoR has an ensemble cast, but Blaze is by far the most recognizable character out of them, and Tyris was the sole main protag of the last Golden Axe game, Beast Rider, even though Gilius is usually more associated with being the series' mascot).

Unfortunately, almost all of these series are lying dormant, with only Puyo getting ongoing support and the new SoR coming out. PS Online has taken over the proper Phantasy Star games.
You left out Sakura Wars (yeah the main character is a guy but it's female-led in every other way that matters) and when it comes to a potential female SEGA rep, I honestly think Sakura has almost as good of a shot as Arle.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Then in 2021, add a DLC skin store and start selling costumes instead of making more characters:

Maro Sunshine skin for Mario
Dry Bones skin for Bowser
Ocarina of Time skins for Link and Zelda
BotW skin for Zelda
Metroid Fusion skin for Samus
Protoman skin for Megaman
Zack skin for Cloud
Such an untapped market. There wouldn't be a single skin I wouldn't buy, even for characters I rarely play.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, it's been about a week since Terry released. For everyone who has gotten around to adjusting My Music for the KoF stage, what are your top 3 songs? Mine are:

1. Haremar Faith Capoeira School ~ Song of the Fight (Believers Will Be Saved) - My gosh, that's a mouthful. I put this as #1 because this is the only song of the SNK playlist that I actually have nostalgia before. This song never left my head even though I hadn't played Fatal Fury 1 for nearly two decades. In fact, I didn't even recognize the song at first, because I only played the Genesis version of Fatal Fury 1. But as I listened to it, it just suddenly dawned on me that this was that song! I had no idea it had chanting going on in the arcade version, so that was pretty neat to pick up on. It helps that it's a very energetic song, too.

Here's the Genesis version of the song for comparison:

2. Ne! ~ KoF '94 - If SNK had a main theme song, this would be it. It perfectly encapsulates the arcade origins of the company with an easily identifiable and memorable melody.

3. Psycho Soldier - It's really cool how this is apparently the first vocal song recorded for a video game, and it's pretty catchy too. I put both versions high in My Music but prefer the Japanese version over the Overseas one due to it containing full lyrics (the Overseas version has one verse, an instrumental portion, then the same first verse before looping).

After the dust has settled:

1. Psycho Soldier - Both versions are great and super catchy remixes. Really like the key change and sax solo in the overseas version.

2. Kurikinton (New Remix) - Very vibrant rendition of Terry's classic theme. The guitar and organ fills are excellent additions.

3. 11th Street (New Remix) - My personal favorite of Terry's many themes. Sharing the main melody of 176th street while cranking up the funk, I always loved this track. The new remix keeps the vibe and updates the instruments (that sax tho). Great stuff all around.

Honorable mentions:
Nature's Banquet - Phenomenal remix, turned a track that I normally didn't pay much attention to into a banger.
Let's go to Seoul! - Get's me pumped. Love the guitar in this track.
Tarkun and Kitapy - My favorite Fatal Fury 2 track, now with delicious synth.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really arguing in favor of Alis (I can't argue in favor of something I've never played), I just disagree with Terry being the baseline of recognizability.
That's fair. I just think some people (not you) are missing the point of that "more important" quote when they post it to shut down an argument. (It still matters that a character is recognizable -- it's just not the deciding factor.)

Of the 12 third-parties in Smash, I would say that eight of them are uncontested gaming legends that need absolutely no justification: Snake, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu, Cloud, Simon, and Hero.

That leaves only...
  • Bayonetta - a popular and relevant request whose games are highly regarded; she's PlatinumGames' de facto mascot; Bayonetta 2 is published (and co-owned) by Nintendo
  • Joker - Persona 5 is very popular and is Atlus' most successful game ever; Sakurai loves Persona 5; obviously Joker makes a lot of sense if Atlus were to receive a playable character
  • Banjo & Kazooie (I don't think I need to explain this one, but there have been some detractors) - one of the most steadily requested characters since the first Smash; N64 games were multi-million-sellers and published by Nintendo; Rare and Nintendo were very close in the '90s/early '00s
  • Terry - mascot of SNK who has appeared in several dozen games dating back to 1991; SNK was a really big deal in Asia and Central and South America; main character of Fatal Fury and is one of only a few characters to be playable in every single The King of Fighters
As "obscure" as someone like Bayonetta or even Terry might be, they still fit a certain mold. I'm not quite sure how to articulate the sentiment, but there's a consistency to Sakurai's/Nintendo's guest character picks -- they know what they're doing -- and I really struggle to make sense of much of what's argued in these threads. I really don't mean to pick on Alis, but she would genuinely be the most shocking character in Smash history to me if she were to somehow get in.

Dec 2, 2017
Question - I want to get the season pass for my nephew, does it include the Mii alts? I want the Persona 4 protag alt to play against him, but I'm not sure if I need to get him a separate gift card for that.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's fair. I just think some people (not you) are missing the point of that "more important" quote when they post it to shut down an argument. (It still matters that a character is recognizable -- it's just not the deciding factor.)

Of the 12 third-parties in Smash, I would say that eight of them are uncontested gaming legends that need absolutely no justification: Snake, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu, Cloud, Simon, and Hero.

That leaves only...
  • Bayonetta - a popular and relevant request whose games are highly regarded; she's PlatinumGames' de facto mascot; Bayonetta 2 is published (and co-owned) by Nintendo
  • Joker - Persona 5 is very popular and is Atlus' most successful game ever; Sakurai loves Persona 5; obviously Joker makes a lot of sense if Atlus were to receive a playable character
  • Banjo & Kazooie (I don't think I need to explain this one, but there have been some detractors) - one of the most steadily requested characters since the first Smash; N64 games were multi-million-sellers and published by Nintendo; Rare and Nintendo were very close in the '90s/early '00s
  • Terry - mascot of SNK who has appeared in several dozen games dating back to 1991; SNK was a really big deal in Asia and Central and South America; main character of Fatal Fury and is one of only a few characters to be playable in every single The King of Fighters
As "obscure" as someone like Bayonetta or even Terry might be, they still fit a certain mold. I'm not quite sure how to articulate the sentiment, but there's a consistency to Sakurai's/Nintendo's guest character picks -- they know what they're doing -- and I really struggle to make sense of much of what's argued in these threads. I really don't mean to pick on Alis, but she would genuinely be the most shocking character in Smash history to me if she were to somehow get in.

I think you're overthinking this. Phantasy Star is a contemporary to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, series that are already in Smash (and even saw a release outside of Japan/NA when FF and DQ did not). Its first game has a female protagonist in an era where that was incredibly rare (and what's even rarer is that Alis' motivation was vengeance. She wanted to take down the man who killed her brother). It was one of the earliest games that Yuji Naka worked on. It set itself apart with its sci-fi setting when other RPGs were only doing fantasy. And the series still innovated years later with Phantasy Star Online (which is seen as the first online console RPG. I don't know if Monster Hunter even exists without PSO).

All that said, I'm not going to pretend this is the likeliest series to get Smash inclusion or anything like that. I just think it would be neat, lol. (Cue Marge Simpson with a potato picture.)

Aug 12, 2019
I think you're overthinking this. Phantasy Star is a contemporary to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, series that are already in Smash (and even saw a release outside of Japan/NA when FF and DQ did not). Its first game has a female protagonist in an era where that was incredibly rare (and what's even rarer is that Alis' motivation was vengeance. She wanted to take down the man who killed her brother). It was one of the earliest games that Yuji Naka worked on. It set itself apart with its sci-fi setting when other RPGs were only doing fantasy. And the series still innovated years later with Phantasy Star Online (which is seen as the first online console RPG. I don't know if Monster Hunter even exists without PSO).

All that said, I'm not going to pretend this is the likeliest series to get Smash inclusion or anything like that. I just think it would be neat, lol. (Cue Marge Simpson with a potato picture.)

Phantasy Star might be a contemporary to Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy on purely an age basis, but it struggles to even match Tales in terms of impact and certainly doesn't compare to Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. Phantasy Star is a neat series for sure I'll admit, but it's also just so far removed from those titles...

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Phantasy Star is a classic Genesis series, but it's easily more known for being the original online console RPG with PSO. Especially these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.