• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Ok hooold up
tmhNmAM.png

Saw this screenshot crop up, maybe it's unrelated idk I don't follow any of the discord stuff but if Sabi or whomstvever is implying this 'Sean' leaker is my bud Sean Hicks, there's absolutely no way lol.

He does beautiful Nintendo-style game art so he could prob make a super convincing leak but through my time following I've never seen someone suffer so much through the leaks leading up to Banjo's reveal. He'd never put someone else through that hell, I'm 99.999% sure on it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
There's quite a lot of "well, this is technically possible" stuff in this that it makes me question if someone would think about stuff like freezing the timer, changing the Mii names (who would even think about that?) and doing stuff with the stock icons (maybe)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
There's quite a lot of "well, this is technically possible" stuff in this that it makes me question if someone would think about stuff like freezing the timer, changing the Mii names (who would even think about that?) and doing stuff with the stock icons
*Points at the insane details around the Grinch leak*

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's quite a lot of "well, this is technically possible" stuff in this that it makes me question if someone would think about stuff like freezing the timer, changing the Mii names (who would even think about that?) and doing stuff with the stock icons (maybe)
Sounds like similar rhetoric people used to justify the Grinch leak. Freezing the timer to conveniently be the same as the Ken leak is like the easiest place to start.

Ok hooold up
tmhNmAM.png

Saw this screenshot crop up, maybe it's unrelated idk I don't follow any of the discord stuff but if Sabi or whomstvever is implying this 'Sean' leaker is my bud Sean Hicks, there's absolutely no way lol.

He does beautiful Nintendo-style game art so he could prob make a super convincing leak but through my time following I've never seen someone suffer so much through the leaks leading up to Banjo's reveal. He'd never put someone else through that hell, I'm 99.999% sure on it.

It's not him. Take it from me.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Which were blurry images with barely recognizable blobs of color.
Set up to look like they were official materials from a professional print shop that actually exists and has a history of working with Bandai Namco.

The images were intentionally blurry and masked by all of the fabricated details around it. The sort of bullshit leak hunters make themselves crazy analyzing.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Set up to look like they were official materials from a professional print shop that actually exists and has a history of working with Bandai Namco.

The images were intentionally blurry and masked by all of the fabricated details around it. The sort of bullshit leak hunters make themselves crazy analyzing.
Which is not this leak.

Compared to most Smash "leaks" this one is downright crystal clear.

Literally not a single person on this planet would ever think to change the Mii names to look more "dev console"-like because we have no idea what Miis look like in the dev console.

Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about everything else, but those hats look outright professional quality. The slight changes to Mallow's design look more convincing of Nintendo's involvement than any model I've ever seen of Geno.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Which is not this leak.

Compared to most Smash "leaks" this one is downright crystal clear.

Literally not a single person on this planet would ever think to change the Mii names to look more "dev console"-like because we have no idea what Miis look like in the dev console.
You might want to be careful stating things that can come back to bite you.

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
If it's possible to mod in high-poly Mii hats, then this supposed modder is holding out on the entire modding community.

There are strict filesize limitations that can't yet be circumvented well enough. People really need to understand this.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
You might want to be careful stating things that can come back to bite you.
Why would anyone think "man, I should mod the Mii Names to look like WoL CPUs because that'll be more convincing" when the easiest thing ever would be to load the Miis in with names like "Mii" or "Mii_Dev" or something. This required more work just for something that people may not have ever noticed about the leak, and that wouldn't have been held against it had they been more lazy.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone think "man, I should change the Mii Names to look like WoL CPUs because that'll be more convincing" when the easiest thing ever would be to load the Miis in with names like "Mii" or "Mii_Dev" or something. This required more work just for something that people may not have ever noticed about the leak, and that wouldn't have been held against it had they been more lazy.
People made these same "No one would ever think to fake this" arguments in regards to the Grinch.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Is it not possible to outright replace the unlockable Mii Brawler and Mii Gunner characters with new models that give the illusion of them wearing customizable hats?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's possible to mod in high-poly Mii hats, then this supposed modder is holding out on the entire modding community.

There are strict filesize limitations that can't yet be circumvented well enough. People really need to understand this.

There's a dude on twitter trying to work on that right now.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I don't think it's far fetched at all that someone would think in such details to add credibility to their hoax. Like.. if you REALLY want people to believe, you need to go beyond, especially today.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it not possible to outright replace the unlockable Mii Brawler and Mii Gunner characters with new models that give the illusion of them wearing customizable hats?
That's been pretty much the question I've asked this thread like ten pages ago and no one's seem to entertained that as being a possibility still. We're back to the costume modding discussion because we now know it's not impossible to do it.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If it's a fake it's a damn well made fake.

Actually here you can see Ken's stock icon for just a little bit cant you?

The only thing left that can prove this leak is Ken's nerfed Shoryu (outside of the sheer quality of hats which is admitedly pretty damn good), which is supposedly tested, but I want to check for myself. FAA 3 player multiplier + staleness could get me to it (there isnt a damage multiplier to change in the settings is there?). If not then the modder went and changed Ken's parameter's or his Shoryu got nerfed which makes this real.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

Hey, you're back! Haven't seen you here in awhile.

But yeah; if this is fake and the person who makes it comes out with the Mii Costume, I don't think people will take kindly to them holding out on the community.

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
For the record, the "no one would think to do this" argument generally doesn't mean much. Who knows? Maybe the guy had some clever technique that did or didn't involve modding.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
People made these same "No one would ever think to fake this" arguments in regards to the Grinch.
Like what?

Some of the extra side stuff for the Grinch leak just came down to dumb luck. Like there being a slight connection between Illumination and Namco for marketing companies.

At the end of the day, the Grinch stuff lived and died on these odd side occurrences because otherwise it was just a blurry image

The Mii Hat leak has actual, easy to see gameplay footage of Mii hats that are clearly not just thrown together or taken from a Smash 4 mod. It doesn't live or die on these extra oddities, they only enhance the legitimacy. Like when people were finding holes in the ESRB leak, only for it turn out that the random misplaced line was a real glitch and the actual order of the CSS really was a big mess.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

Wait that's actually really damn clever. Instead of putting a hat on the Miis for customization, you change the actual base model instead to include the hat of your choosing. Essentially using the default character to trick folks into thinking its customized. We've already seen crazy shit like replacing Bowser with Dry Bowser so you might be on to something here.

...aaand interestingly enough, the Miis in the video are different characters. Mii Brawler and Mii Gunner. Hmmm.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The issue with just wholesale replacing the Mii model is you still run into serious file size limitations. They'd have to reduce the count of the base Mii model, otherwise it would just crash.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Like what?

Some of the extra side stuff for the Grinch leak just came down to dumb luck. Like there being a slight connection between Illumination and Namco for marketing companies.

At the end of the day, the Grinch stuff lived and died on these odd side occurrences because otherwise it was just a blurry image

The Mii Hat leak has actual, easy to see gameplay footage of Mii hats that are clearly not just thrown together or taken from a Smash 4 mod. It doesn't live or die on these extra oddities, they only enhance the legitimacy. Like when people were finding holes in the ESRB leak, only for it turn out that the random misplaced line was a real glitch and the actual order of the CSS really was a big mess.
Dude, if it's real, it's real. If it's fake, it's fake. I've seen nothing to convince me 100% that it's real. If it is, all right, fair enough. But you're jumping in headfirst believing it's real and questioning anyone that doubts it.

Take a step back.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
That's been pretty much the question I've asked this thread like ten pages ago and no one's seem to entertained that as being a possibility still. We're back to the costume modding discussion because we now know it's not impossible to do it.

That's a lie! :P I did suggested same thing many pages ago and Ned even considered that as a possibility. Let not exaggerate! ;)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait that's actually really damn clever. Instead of putting a hat on the Miis for customization, you change the actual base model instead to include the hat of your choosing. Essentially using the default character to trick folks into thinking its customized. We've already seen crazy shit like replacing Bowser with Dry Bowser so you might be on to something here.

...aaand interestingly enough, the Miis in the video are different characters. Mii Brawler and Mii Gunner. Hmmm.
There's also not enough space in custom name tags to write Mii BRAWLER unless someone also modded that so the character not coming about from a custom made menu makes some sense if they basically just hard modded the Mii character to be selected from the CSS. After all, it defaults to Mii Brawler/Gunner/Swordfighter without a tag/selectable option so there's some precedent for it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Is the face on the Gunner one of the choices for Gunner in the online waiting room?

One odd thing I've thought about is how the Mii Gunner's face isn't actually the default Gunner's face. I would have assumed a Mii spawned from the console would use the default WoL/Spirit Battle faces.

But it's also possible they use the same pool as the waiting room, or random ones from your console. Or the debug Miis just have different faces than the default Miis for whatever reason.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

The size limit isn't just an issue with Mii Costumes, it affects every model in the game. Adding onto the "original" Mii model with more polygons than the original would surely put it over the required file size, no?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The size limit isn't just an issue with Mii Costumes, it affects every model in the game. Adding onto the "original" Mii model with more polygons than the original would surely put it over the required file size, no?
They could have gotten a little creative, I guess, and used one LOD model down for each one since they knew most people wouldn't notice any differences between the upper LOD models. They'd gain more size to use that way.

But I'm not entirely sure how Smash's LODs work, I only have experience with Valve game LODs.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

I have heard some stories that some modders have been working on those issues for long time. It's not out of question that someone could have discover how to bypass or compress better recently.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Ken taunts does his thumbs up change depending on which direction he's facing?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

It's hard to tell the poly count of anything judging from the blurry off-screen footage. They could have cut some details in place we're not seeing or like others are saying, they might have found a way around this limit.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I guess for me it's a matter of Occam's Razor, to an extent. Is it more likely a tester took a bad off-screen video of a couple of Mii Costumes he had access to because that'd be the easiest thing for a tester to do, or that they're ahead of the entire Smash modding community/came up with some needlessly convoluted way to make it seem like they were?

On the other hand, yup, Grinch Leak happened.

Thus, 50/50 is the best I can muster toward either support or opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.