• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it's real, why are you guys assuming this means they're fighters? It may as well just be mii fighters that they included in to make up for the lack of them in the roster.

If anything this makes me think they are not in.
It would be a lot of work to negotiate with Bethesda just for a few costumes since they're an unrepresented third party.

SMRPG on the other hand, I stick to my assertion that it's very likely it only gets the Mii Costume treatment since Nintendo have already talked to Square.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Fighter pass 2 is only women :
Jill Valentine
Arle Nadja
Reimu
Kos Mos (Xenoblade 2 design)
2B

With Ayumi Tachibana (no stage, one track song) as a free bonus newcommer if you buy Famicom Detective Club remake. (Same price as PP if you don't buy the game)

What's you reaction if this happen
no deal unless Ayumi gets a stage

I don't want her to suffer like ROB has

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
If it's real, why are you guys assuming this means they're fighters? It may as well just be mii fighters that they included in to make up for the lack of them in the roster.

If anything this makes me think they are not in.
It doesn't really confirm either of them, but it could mean they're adding something related to one of these two characters as #5 and/or #6. Joker came with all that Persona stuff along Tails and Knuckles, who are all owned by Sega. Hero came with all the DQ outfits. The Mii outfit pack that came with Banjo was, I think, an outlier - a Grunty Mii or Steve Mii was a missed opportunity. I bet Terry will come with a bunch of SNK Mii outfits.

Alternatively, Mallow and Cacodemon could just be unrelated 3rd party outfits, buuuuuuut they're very specific characters that wouldn't really have much appeal alone unless they're tied to a playable fighter of some kind.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's also worth noting that even if these are legit it doesn't guarantee any fighters, for all we know Geno is also a Mii Costume just like he was in Smash Wii U.

It does increase the likelihood of a Bethesda character (notice how I didn't said Doomguy) pretty high, since the only new copyright added as a mini costume was an indie game

Jill Valentine
Arle Nadja
Reimu
2B

With Ayumi Tachibana (no stage, one track song) as a free bonus newcommer if you buy Famicom Detective Club remake. (Same price as PP if you don't buy the game)

Happy with the idea, super sad with the actual character selection.
Not only are 2b and Kosmos pretty bad characters to come to a pg13 game, they are also two square slots. We need less square slots and more new companies

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
inb4 the leak IS real, but it's just because you can buy those two Mii hats and get music from Super Mario RPG and Doom with them.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't understand how someone would have access to two Mii costumes that would conveniently confirm Geno and Doom Slayer as playable characters without having access to those characters themselves or their stages, or why they'd have access to content months down the pipeline and not Terry, the KOF stage, and Terry's Mii costumes. Obviously a lot of work would have gone into this if it's fake, but it's still less work than faking Geno or Doom Slayer as playable characters while achieving the same result. I can't trust leaks on visuals alone anymore, and this tells a very suspect story.
The original leak of Ken, which this leak wants to harken back to, originally showed us... Ken. Instead of Incineroar, in development Plant, any part of WoL, any new Assist Trophies, etc.

We got an echo that everyone was already sure was coming.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Rather interesting that they're only hats and not full costumes. If we go with the assumption someone has worked out how to mod Miis, perhaps they've only cracked the hat part.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
It does increase the likelihood of a Bethesda character (notice how I didn't said Doomguy) pretty high, since the only new copyright added as a mini costume was an indie game

Happy with the idea, super sad with the actual character selection.
Not only are 2b and Kosmos pretty bad characters to come to a pg13 game, they are also two square slots. We need less square slots and more new companies

two Square? Kos Mos is from Namco-Bandai

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Are there any Smash 4 Mii hat mod costumes that look as official as these look?
Uh... someone ported Sans from Ultimate
5db2b8c022b5e.webp

But like, a custom model? Hell no.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Jill Valentine
Arle Nadja
Reimu
2B

Hell yes, but Ayumi deserves a stage.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
You know, to be fair, this wouldn't be the first time Nintendo/Sakurai worked with a major western third party company for Smash, only for it to not lead to a playable character.

b7b.png

Although, maybe there's more leeway here considering that Rayman Legends was actually published by Nintendo in Japan.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
We do unfortunately get lots of Mii Costumes representing franchises that aren't in Smash

bae.png

sans-mii-costume-super-smash-bros.jpg_618x0_.jpg

c42.jpg

smash_bros_ultimate_geno_mii_costume.jpg

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Uh... someone ported Sans from Ultimate
5db2b8c022b5e.webp

But like, a custom model? Hell no.
That's what I thought. Seems like community modelers just aren't at the same caliber as these hats

Meaning the person

- Needed to be extremely competent at matching Ultimate's art style perfectly, better than pretty much every other modder out there
- Crack the ability to mod Mii hats into Ultimate, which has thus far not been possible
- Keep the entire thing a secret

I feel like if Mii hats were something that was seriously close enough to make this work as a fake, there'd be modding Discords discussing it and we would have easily had someone come out and say that they were working on it. Cracking and modding is almost never a 1 man thing.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sorry for being pessimistic but if those hats are coming out in the next update, with Terry, that means that's all we're getting for DOOM and SMRPG, just like from Goemon and Undertale.

Hope I'm wrong.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for being pessimistic but if those hats are coming out in the next update, with Terry, that means that's all we're getting for DOOM and SMRPG, just like from Goemon and Undertale.

Hope I'm wrong.
Yeah, if the costumes are coming with Terry that would raise some flags imo. If Doomslayer was an actual character, why would they release costumes related to him with another fighter?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I definitely agree, but I have real trouble to imagine her being part of a fighter pass.
But she's, along with Jill Valentine, my most wanted newcommer, so yeah I would love a stage with her.
Let's just hope that her game actually gets localized this time so Ayumi has a chance at getting in Smash.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I'll be honest, if I had access to some early Mii costumes and saw Doom and SMRPG got two costumes each, I'd choose only to show off the Mallow and Cacodemon costumes because I'd know not revealing the Geno and Doom Guy costumes would cause the Internet to go wild.

Not saying this is the case, just saying what I'd do in their shoes*.

*(Plus use said legitimacy to start some Haruka speculation)

I am 80% sure this is exactly what is happening. Doom and SMRPG costumes are coming with Terry and this leaker got early access to the costumes, decided to show off the two costumes that don't immediately deconfirm the main possible representatives.

I just hope we get some DOOM music out of this and I hope Geno's Costume is on par with Sans.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously a lot of work would have gone into this if it's fake, but it's still less work than faking Geno or Doom Slayer as playable characters while achieving the same result
This my main hang up.

Think of every single detail about a playable character. All of their animations, sound effects, lighting, shadows, character portrait, name, etc. If you wanted to fool people with a video leak of a new character, you have to get ALL of this 100% right. You can't have anything that looks or feels off, and people will examine every single frame and be quick to find any details that aren't right.

In contrast, most of this is already done with a Mii Costume. The animations are already done, the sound is already done, the lighting is done, the shadows are done, the name is done. Heck, even the portrait is done in a way because how Mii fighter characters portraits work. And for a Mii Costume that's just a hat, 2/3 of the character model is also done. There's way less things that can go wrong and let people on to the fact that the leak is a fake.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Hope I'm wrong.

Maybe the reason the leaker got the footage without a stage or character is that they are not necessarily in the same testing stages as the Mii hats

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Hope I'm wrong.
Banjo was done with Hero. It's entirely possible Doomslayer (presumably FP5) is done with Terry and these costumes are ready to go but won't be with Terry.

Maybe they make Mii costumes way ahead of time due to how easy they are and just sit on them

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Do people even care for Mii fighter mods to put much effort into them?
Probably not

Which also begs the question on who would care enough about Mii Fighter hat mods to crack it for Ultimate instead of literally anything else that isn't possible in Ultimate yet

The quality of Ultimate mods leaves a lot to be desired at this point

Like it just doesn't seem to be at a place where it would actually have higher quality Mii mods than Smash 4

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
We do unfortunately get lots of Mii Costumes representing franchises that aren't in Smash

bae.png

sans-mii-costume-super-smash-bros.jpg_618x0_.jpg

c42.jpg

smash_bros_ultimate_geno_mii_costume.jpg

To be fair, most of those costumes come from companies that already have a playable character in Smash.

Except for obviously Sans, but that's just an indie thing. I guess the point of contention here is that going up to smaller indie devs like Toby Fox or Wayforward to ask for merely a Mii outfit or spirit cameo isn't as strange as doing it with a super major AAA company like Bethesda.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, most of those costumes come from companies that already have a playable character in Smash.

Except for obviously Sans, but that's just an indie thing. I guess the point of contention here is that going up to smaller indie devs like Toby Fox or Wayforward to ask for merely a Mii outfit or spirit cameo isn't as strange as doing it with a super major AAA company like Bethesda.
To be fair:
fce.png

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I think the important thing to always keep in mind is there aren't actually rules about what gets into Smash. Past patterns won't always repeat themselves and past precedent can be contradicted by the future

Status
Not open for further replies.