• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
For being one of the first full fledged 3D platformers, Mario 64's controls hold up amazingly well. It wasn't until Odyssey that I think they found a better 3D movement system for Mario.
I actually really like Mario's sunshine controls a bit more. It's starts out clunky cause you got Fludd but once it clicks. You're flying everywhere

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Mario owns a cookie factory.
latest
He also owns a cement factory. The amount of businesses this man is involved in is insane.

He's an Entrepreneur, Doctor, Carpenter, Plumber, Chef, Professional Sports Star, Racing Champion, Boxing Referee, Party Animal, Olympic Gold Medalist and, of course

a Teacher and Time Traveller in those educational games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
For being one of the first full fledged 3D platformers, Mario 64's controls hold up amazingly well. It wasn't until Odyssey that I think they found a better 3D movement system for Mario.
Yea the core controls in sunshine are perfect. Mario turns on a dime, the running and diving feels great, and the jumping.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario 64 is a landmark achievement in 3D gameplay whose only sin is that it's completely unplayable today thanks to Banjo-Kazooie being better in every conceivable manner.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He also owns a cement factory. The amount of businesses this man is involved in is insane.

He's an Entrepreneur, Doctor, Carpenter, Plumber, Chef, Professional Sports Star, Racing Champion, Boxing Referee, Party Animal, Olympic Gold Medalist and, of course

a Teacher and Time Traveller in those educational games.

It was a really cool throwback to a lot of those jobs he's performed appearing as costumes in Odyssey.

Mario 64 is a landmark achievement in 3D gameplay whose only sin is that it's completely unplayable today thanks to Banjo-Kazooie being better in every conceivable manner.

lmao

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
What if a shock 3rd party pick was sim person?

It would be cool if Dr. Wright become full-fledged character based on buildings, zonings, etc. I don't know how it would works but he have a chance to be mind-scalding crazy character. At least his final smash may be obvious where he would build a Statue of Mario and Robo-Bowser would come over and destroy the stage.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It occupies the same space Ocarina of Time does for me. It's still good and it's important to remember what it brought to game design, but better games have come out since.

I mean, the only 3D Zelda that I think is better than Ocarina Of Time is Majora's Mask, and I don't think many, if any, 3D platformers have made an overall better package than Super Mario 64.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It occupies the same space Ocarina of Time does for me. It's still good and it's important to remember what it brought to game design, but better games have come out since.
Well, yeah, sure

But you said Banjo was better in "every conceivable way". I mean, we were literally just talking about the trash swimming on the last page :)

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I do think, in a lot of ways, Banjo-Kazooie is better than Mario 64. The characters have way more personality, the worlds are clearly more defined and lived in (whereas a lot of the worlds in 64 feel more like abstract playgrounds), and the missions are more varied (Mario 64 has a lot of repeating mission types, whereas the only jiggies in Kazooie that are really repeated are the Jinjo ones).

That being said, the one major thing Mario 64 has over BK is kinda the point of contention: the fact that it has much more advanced and fluid controls. Banjo's movement is pretty slow and simplistic in comparison to the stuff Mario can do in 64. So going by that, I could see why someone would prefer 64 over Banjo.

So basically, Banjo did do everything better than 64...except, you know, the core mechanics/gameplay. They're both still masterpieces though.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I do think, in a lot of ways, Banjo-Kazooie is better than Mario 64. The characters have way more personality, the worlds are clearly more defined and lived in (whereas a lot of the worlds in 64 feel more like abstract playgrounds), and the missions are more varied (Mario 64 has a lot of repeating mission types, whereas the only jiggies in Kazooie that are really repeated are the Jinjo ones).

That being said, the one major thing Mario 64 has over BK is the fact that it has much more advanced and fluid controls. Banjo's movement is pretty slow and simplistic in comparison to the stuff Mario can do in 64. So going by that, I could see why someone would prefer 64 over Banjo.

So basically, Banjo did do everything better than 64...except, you know, the core mechanics/gameplay. They're both still masterpieces though.
I wouldn't say it's that cut and dry. Banjo decided to focus on a deeper moveset that allows for more varied missions and has it's own appeal. I think Banjo fully decked out is more fun than Mario in 64.

But at that point it's personal preference.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I do think other 3D Mario games have surpassed 64 on the level design, but 64 in general still holds up a treat because of the character control and the fact that the level design is still damn solid for the most part (Dire Dire Docks and Rainbow Ride being the weak links)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think it's telling that Super Mario 64 hacks that transport Mario into Banjo worlds work a lot better than the reverse. Mario in 64 is a very versatile character and complements the level design much better. Banjo and Kazooie are more specific and less enjoyable if the levels aren't designed to optimize their moves.

I think what Banjo embodies best is the idea of exploring these compact worlds with lots of little details and charm to them. I love exploring the random storage facilities in Rusty Bucket Bay or checking the windows in Mad Monster Mansion. In terms of traveling and platforming though, I'd definitely give it to Mario.

Mario 64's biggest weakness for me is the back third of the game generally has the least interesting levels and the soundtrack/visuals are fairly standard, obviously it was the first major N64 game so that's understandable. Banjo-Kazooie is a lot more consistent in its quality.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I agree that Banjo-Kazooie is better than Super Mario 64, but not "in every conceivable way." Banjo-Kazooie benefited from being able to walk and learn from the trail Super Mario 64 blazed, and I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that B-K might not have turned out the way it did if SM64 hadn't turned out the way it did.

Super Mario 64 was groundbreaking at the time and is still a stupendous game. But yes, I do think Banjo-Kazooie is better overall.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know many around here aren't exactly eager for a Three Houses character, but I must say the game itself is very good.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Can we have the killer Piano from Mario 64 in Smash?

Scariest enemy then any game I played.

Big Boo's Haunt is a genuinely unnerving level. It lacks the cartoony nature of ghost houses in other Mario games; it's first unsettling to see ghosts in the court yard in broad daylight, then suddenly you're warped into a cage and there's this howling wind all around you...

And who can forget:

tumblr_lsm2ojFVZ31qk26dzo1_250.gif

Wish we got more of that sort of thing in modern Mario games.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I know many around here aren't exactly eager for a Three Houses character, but I must say the game itself is very good.
If it keeps up the momentum it might end up being my fave since Path of Radiance.

Still 9 hours in is early days.
And also still don't think Byleth is at all interesting (which in game works just fine, I'm still scarred by Corrin)

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty much the main reason I'm stanning Byleth. I like both of their designs, like their weapon of choice, and think there's potential with their teacher role if done well. I also kind of like that they do play up Byleth being a bit of a dopey dead eyed airhead.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
In terms of gameplay, 64 Mario will always feel better to control than B&K, at least to me. I can always jump in, mess around for awhile with the free-form controls and have a blast; can't say the same for B-K, which is super dependent on the context of the stages for moves, and is generally much slower unless you lock off most of your move pool and use the Talon Trot.

Guess it just depends on what you value more in a game.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of gameplay, 64 Mario will always feel better to control than B&K, at least to me. I can always jump in, mess around for awhile with the free-form controls and have a blast; can't say the same for B-K, which is super dependent on the context of the stages for moves, and is generally much slower unless you lock off most of your move pool and use the Talon Trot.

Guess it just depends on what you value more in a game.
Is it shallow of me to say that the only reason I prefer BK is because of Talon Trot and the Double Jump? Better yet because I like Kazooie's Talon Trot noises

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My thing with Super Mario 64 is the weird, dream-like level design with floating landmasses and lack of NPCs felt contextualized by the fact that the worlds are pocket dimensions inside a magic castle. When Mario Odyssey's worlds were largely just floating landmasses despite supposedly being real physical places in the Mario setting, I was a little disappointed, compared to how Sunshine made an effort to make all the worlds feel like a real place.

It's something I hope gets addressed in the inevitable Odyssey 2.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
False, and this is coming from someone that loved Banjo 1.

Only thing that Banjo resoundingly beats Mario 64 on is the fact that you don't have to exit the level every time you get a jiggy.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Is it shallow of me to say that the only reason I prefer BK is because of Talon Trot and the Double Jump? Better yet because I like Kazooie's Talon Trot noises
Well, I can tolerate the Talon Trot noises too, so i'm with you there.

The Feathery Flap and Talon Trot are fine abilities and are well-appreciated in their game, but they just don't give me the same satisfaction as, say, performing a triple jump or diving and long jumping along a stage to go fast.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Context has always mattered more to me than raw gameplay (ask me why Kingdom Hearts 1 has better gameplay than Kingdom Hearts 2 sometime) so Banjo being a big dopey bear who moves slowly and ponderously just feels right.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Super Mario 64 is more of a 3D platformer with adventure/exploration elements. It's the inverse for the Banjo games.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching a video on Donkey Kong Country 3.

Honest question to Dixie fans, would you be alright with Dixie having Kiddy as a partner?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Between this, the end of DKC, and most of DKC2, Rare sure had a thing for Pirates.

Certainly gives more context to Sea of Thieves.

Pirates are Gregg Mayles' fetish obviously

Honest question to Dixie fans, would you be alright with Dixie having Kiddy as a partner?

Nah

Kiddy is a lamer, I think Dixie should get in on her own merits and not be tied with the least popular protagonist in the whole series.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd like it if it were something like Dixie using him as a projectile or weapon rather than a tag team. Make it clear that Dixie's the real star.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe for like, one move. I would hate a teamup idea. Completely diminishes the value of Dixie as a standalone character.
Pirates are Gregg Mayles' fetish obviously

Nah

Kiddy is a lamer, I think Dixie should get in on her own merits and not be tied with the least popular protagonist in the whole series.
That's about what I figured.

DKC3 is the one I have the least experience with. Really need to get around to playing it one of these days.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the one guy on earth using the Dixie and Kiddy smash avatar, yeah I'm fine with Kiddy tagging alone because I always liked the idea of a team character with different properties, like Ice Climber meets Pokemon Trainer.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
DKC3 is really weird because it wasn't made by the same team that worked on the first two games.

As that Rare Revealed video I posted shows, those guys (which included the cool people like Gregg Mayles and Chris Sutherland) moved on from DKC to Dream, which ended up as Banjo-Kazooie. Thus DKC3 was handed off to a newer, less experienced B team at Rare, and it kind of shows. From my understanding, this same team also went on to make DK64 and...yeah lol

Status
Not open for further replies.