• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I think there's way more Animal Crossing fans that hate Smash Bros than the other way around. There were a ton of people who were super mad they got baited into thinking the Isabelle trailer was an announcement for a new Animal Crossing game. They got over it pretty quickly, but still.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly, Isabelle could have easily had multiple alts for other AC characters. There isn't really anything about her that's notably exclusive to her character - not even her taunts or victory poses.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
From what I've seen, the neighbors are by far the most popular characters in the series.

Which is why I think Isabelle could get an echo called "Neighbors" and it's 8 of the most popular neighbor animals. They all mostly have the same body type, anyway. At least most of them do, anyway. Doubt you'll see Apollo out there with his weird eagle body.

I'd probably actually use the Animal Crossing characters' weird moveset(s) if I could do so while playing as Punchy.
175px-Punchy_NLa.png

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Let me clarify more on Isaac's Djinn Gimmick. Of Course, Isaac would starts with Flint (his first Djinn)

AGjOxTh.png

So of course, you would see him showing up via taunts (at least one of them) and he would be a huge factor with Isaac's Djinn mechanic. You started with him and Venus abilities.

When you would open more access to another spells or abilities by combining djinns upon you. (Like Venus and Mars Djinn) would allows you to access to something else outside of pure Venus. So that's why I think it would be very difficulty to implement but I think his ability would be pretty unique.

oJJOycn.jpg

I've always been way more of a Felix guy!

But I did it arse backwards.

Bought Golden Sun the Lost Age first and absolutely loved it.

Went to Spain on a holiday and got Castlevania and Golden Sun 1 on GBA but Golden Sun 1 was only in Spanish :(

I never did get to play it.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
From what I've seen, the neighbors are by far the most popular characters in the series.

Which is why I think Isabelle could get an echo called "Neighbors" and it's 8 of the most popular neighbor animals. They all mostly have the same body type, anyway. At least most of them do, anyway. Doubt you'll see Apollo out there with his weird eagle body.

I'd probably actually use the Animal Crossing character's weird moveset if I could do so while playing as Punchy.
The problem is there are a shit load of villagers and everyone has their own favourite. You'd piss more people off than you'd make happy. People are fiercely loyal to their favourites.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The problem is there are a shit load of villagers and everyone has their own favourite. You'd piss more people off than you'd make happy. People are fiercely loyal to their favourites.

Goldie is the best character in Animal Crossing. Nothing can convince me otherwise.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so you're one of those people that think good storytelling only lies with the older games. Remind me again why i generally dislike the fanbase again.

Sometimes i'm so glad that sakurai had the taste to include chrom/lucina as echoes over the others.
This is a hella condescending chip-on-shoulder take. Completely uncalled for.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let me clarify more on Isaac's Djinn Gimmick. Of Course, Isaac would starts with Flint (his first Djinn)

AGjOxTh.png

So of course, you would see him showing up via taunts (at least one of them) and he would be a huge factor with Isaac's Djinn mechanic. You started with him and Venus abilities.

When you would open more access to another spells or abilities by combining djinns upon you. (Like Venus and Mars Djinn) would allows you to access to something else outside of pure Venus. So that's why I think it would be very difficulty to implement but I think his ability would be pretty unique.

oJJOycn.jpg

I always felt like if they did a Golden Sun character it should be alllll about djinn swapping and elemental magic. Ideally, Isaac's sword would basically be solely decoration, just as it would end up being once you got into the higher levels in Golden Sun and were just spamming every enemy to death with psynergy. In fact, if they didn't use a weapon at all, who the Psynergy user is wouldn't even matter outside of what name the announcer says. Could have Isaac, Felix, Matthew, or even other party members like Mia and Garrett.

People will be satisfied as long as one of those Neighbors is Apollo.

And by people I mean Baron von Loathsome.

Apollo is the best neighbor. It's a fact. I stopped playing Pocket Camp not long after starting because Apollo is one of the first villagers you befriend and who even cares about anyone else after that?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

I'd probably actually use the Animal Crossing characters' weird moveset(s) if I could do so while playing as Punchy.
175px-Punchy_NLa.png
Isabelle's type is closer to villager than what she would be to any animals, and she can't even be an echo to villager.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
But not body types or shapes.
She shares it pretty closely with Dogs (...obviously), Wolves, Cats and Rabbits
331px-Isabelle_NL.png

175px-Bob_NLa.png

175px-Goldie_NLa.png

200px-Wolfgang_NLa.png

200px-Bunnie_NLa.png

Long thin arms, short tube legs, cylindrical body, approximate height. There's a few more subtle differences in body shape (seems like the rabbits are a bit more wide, cats are a bit thinner, for rexample) but you could slightly alter those proportions without erasing who the animal is and without full animation overhauls. would, however, need a new falling animation since covering her skirt is a bit hard when one does not wears bottoms

In theory, anyway. I doubt they'd go with this idea since they'd need to leave some of the more popular types (hamsters, frogs, birds...) and you'd need to pick the top 1 or 2 neighbords per naimal types you DO pick. and it's a bit more effort on the costume front than just color swaps (would need new heads, if nothing else).

IMO if they ever went with an Isabelle echo it would probably be Lottie
200px-Lottie_AF.png

She kind of fits Isabelle to a T the most of any other character. She even has a skirt and a ponytail.

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
Isabelle's type is closer to villager than what she would be to any animals, and she can't even be an echo to villager.

And the only reason she couldn't be an echo of Villager was because Villager is City Folk-shaped (short and stumpy) and Isabelle is New Leaf-shaped (taller, lankier bodies)

I do hope they give Villager New Leaf/New Horizons proportions in the next Smash

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
But nobody likes Lottie and she almost killed amiibo
Lottie's signature game used amiibo cards which were, at least in Japan I think, actually relatively successful.

if anyone almost killed amiibo it was isabelle & digby, who were the headliners who came with Amiibo Festival, the game that pushed the physical AC amiibo line and almost killed amiibo

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

SJDnzyn.jpg

header.png

34.jpg

Usually it isn't so obvious who Nintendo thinks are their own all-stars, but in this case Tom Nook is easily one of their most marketed characters.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Reese being in that big banner is so weird. She's not especially beloved or even that significant. if they wanted another popular girl AC character I'd probably go with one of the able sisters

Ars Arcanum

alt account
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
Not sure if this is the right thread to bitch about how underpowered they made bayo. If so, please redirect me.

Now...

BAYONETTA IS FUCKIN TRASH. why did they make her have such huge delay with all her moves. She's easily punishable and even at high percents, her kill confirm is almost non existent. You can make the case for her forward throw being a confirm at high percentages but I had to get my friend to nearly 200 percent for a kill (Charizard).

I just want to dance all over my opponents with the legendary witch.

As a fan of her games, she deserves better.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reese being in that big banner is so weird. She's not especially beloved or even that significant. if they wanted another popular girl AC character I'd probably go with one of the able sisters

Nintendo heavily markets the cast of Animal Crossing more than any of their other internal IP aside from Mario. Remember that they had the confidence to do an entire Amiibo line of just the AC cast. Meanwhile something like Zelda is 90% Link amiibos.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right thread to bitch about how underpowered they made bayo. If so, please redirect me.

Now...

BAYONETTA IS FUCKIN TRASH. why did they make her have such huge delay with all her moves. She's easily punishable and even at high percents, her kill confirm is almost non existent. You can make the case for her forward throw being a confirm at high percentages but I had to get my friend to nearly 200 percent for a kill (Charizard).

I just want to dance all over my opponents with the legendary witch.

As a fan of her games, she deserves better.

Smash For Bayonetta was a plague. She needed some toning down.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo heavily markets the cast of Animal Crossing more than any of their other internal IP aside from Mario. Remember that they had the confidence to do an entire Amiibo line of just the AC cast. Meanwhile something like Zelda is 90% Link amiibos.
My point was not "AC shouldn't have 3 characters in the banner" it was "why reese specifically"

There was no better render of Fox (at the time) that they just used one from Smash 4?
I don't think that's a smash 4 render
well, maybe they made a new one, i guess

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure they could have possibly mixed more eras into this if they tried

What a mess of art styles and consoles. There's a GCN (lol) Toad render, but then Fox and Pikmin are from the Wii U and Donkey Kong looks either late GCN or early Wii era and wow what even was this banner meant for. Why is Link not a render aaaaaa

It was their banner for Amiibos that I pulled it from. https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/faq/

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the second Tom Nook wore that sweater the worse he got as a character

AC_Tom_Nook.jpg

OG Nook for life

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been way more of a Felix guy!

But I did it arse backwards.

Bought Golden Sun the Lost Age first and absolutely loved it.

Went to Spain on a holiday and got Castlevania and Golden Sun 1 on GBA but Golden Sun 1 was only in Spanish :(

I never did get to play it.

At least, you know what happened at the end but it would be nice if they could allows us to play some GBA games on Switch but it's more likely wouldn't happens for awhile or never.

I always felt like if they did a Golden Sun character it should be alllll about djinn swapping and elemental magic. Ideally, Isaac's sword would basically be solely decoration, just as it would end up being once you got into the higher levels in Golden Sun and were just spamming every enemy to death with psynergy. In fact, if they didn't use a weapon at all, who the Psynergy user is wouldn't even matter outside of what name the announcer says. Could have Isaac, Felix, Matthew, or even other party members like Mia and Garrett.

Funnily I would put uses of sword as tilt only and probably dash attack, tons of psyenergy as smash and grabs, Djinn-based psyenergy gimmick would be special moves only.

Going off of the console discussion from the previous page, Waluigi would technically be an N64 rep.

...That is all.

If they reallllly want more 64 characters, then Perfect Dark's Joanna Dark would be a perfect start.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, looking closer it's not Smash 4 Fox, just a style that's really close to Smash 4's Fox design. The headset and jacket are slightly different.
Huh, so, is this just straight up a new render? All the other ones are either pre-existing or for upcoming games (Link). Fox's isn't Smash 4's, I don't think Zero was even properly unevield and had a different style, and it obviously doesnt match the Assault, Command or 64 3D renders.

Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.