• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Would there be a Geno backlash if he were to get in?
Certainly from some sections of the internet. I can't imagine the Sora fanbase would be all too pleased with him happening. However, I think/hope overall that most people would realize Geno's been a longtime request for well over a decade now and would be happy for his fanbase finally getting him.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Let me rephrase. Would there be a Geno backlash because he's another Mario character? (And would be another DLC Mario character.)

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Let me rephrase. Would there be a Geno backlash because he's another Mario character? (And would be another DLC Mario character.)
Ah that. Eh I don't think so. I think with most franchises having rounded out their rosters at this point, the "proportions" people seem to have disappeared. Piranha Plant wasn't really complaints because it was a Mario character, it was because of "really? a generic enemy?" Really I only think it's just Fire Emblem having "too much" that gets people mad now.

Which is why I hope to god Sabi's not hinting Edelgard. There's gonna be some rolling heads if that's the case, yikes.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The backlash against him probably wouldn't be fueled by the fact that he is another Mario character

it'll be fueled by the fact that he is an insignificant Mario character who doesn't matter in the grand sceme of his franchise. If he can get in, I could see some start to believe that Smash's character selections couldn't go any lower.

At this point, Geno wouldn't get in as a Mario character anyway. They'll be more of a representation of Smash Bros itself (like Sheik and Captain Falcon, who only find relevance in Smash), in the form of an impossible fan want.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The only way I see Geno ever make it in is if Nintendo itself buys the rights to Super Mario RPG. Which would probably only occur if Alphadream or whomever actually decides to make a SMRPG2.

How likely Square Enix is to let that go is another story, however.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The only way I see Geno ever make it in is if Nintendo itself buys the rights to Super Mario RPG. Which would probably only occur if Alphadream or whomever actually decides to make a SMRPG2.

How likely Square Enix is to let that go is another story, however.
If anything is ever done with Super Mario RPG, it'd 100% be with Alpha Dream. You know, ex-Square staff and all that.

I mean hey, there was that thing about Nintendo taking down two SMRPG tracks on YouTube (despite the fact that they have no ownership over that game's music); maybe something is already happening behind the scenes?

Jun 11, 2019
Yeah, I think the only thing that would actually upset alot of people nowadays is probably more Fire Emblem. Regardless of what weapon a hypothetical new FE rep uses.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Any hint with the word 'European' could never ever ever mean Geno.

Super Mario RPG wasn't even a thing here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So starlings were believed to be messengers of the Gods, hmm?

Yada yada, "I serve higher authority", yada yada Geno.

EDIT: "observed from the Capitoline Hill... interpret the wishes of the gods"

Hill? Check.
Wishes? Check.

Geno's Status? Confirmed.

Any hint with the word 'European' could never ever ever mean Geno.

Super Mario RPG wasn't even a thing here.
The word 'European' was never part of it; the same species of bird in the picture can be referred to as the 'common starling' or just 'starling'.

Last edited:

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I had a dream recently where a "Second Chance Pack" was announced, featuring characters who were considered for past Smash games but couldn't make it in (to truly make this the ultimate Smash game).

Obviously Dixie, Geno and Decidueye were there. Also Susie (Kirby) for some reason.
I feel that it's cruel that even in this literal dream scenario that Spring Man and Rex weren't in it. Even though they are the most applicable for this

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Maybe echo DLC is finally happening and Edelgard actually works over Ike's moveset.

It's for the same reason why I don't get it when people whine about weapon variety for FE chars (or even sword users in general).
There's no moveset difference between an axe/lance/sword swing at all. But somehow the same crowd thinks that hector/azura/celica/Ephraim would provide more moveset variety than robin and corrin(lul).
It's similar to why people wanted a grass type pokemon in Smash, or were upset with so many fire types in Pokken.

An axe can offer moveset variety (as well as another sword if they're creative) but it's not the main reason FE fans are more accepting of the idea. Simply put, it's not a sword like literally evey other playable FE character.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly unless she's a second freebie like Piranha Plant and not actually on the pass, there's gonna be rioting in the streets. Reggie saying "everyone on the pass is someone you wouldn't expect to see in Smash" as a parting gift will look hilarious then.
Well people aren't expecting a FE rep because there's "too many" already so if we did get one Reggie would have technically been telling the truth.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Well people aren't expecting a FE rep because there's "too many" already so if we did get one Reggie would have technically been telling the truth.

Actually it's the opposite. People are expecting another Fire Emblem because they just have a feeling that Sakurai would have no problem to add Fire Emblem in Smash as DLC, like he did with Smash 4.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
I doubt we are getting another FE rep through this season pass, would they not have done so already via the base game?

Even though Chrom is technically a new addition as Roy's echo fighter, his inclusion was more down to fan demand than anything.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Actually it's the opposite. People are expecting another Fire Emblem because they just have a feeling that Sakurai would have no problem to add Fire Emblem in Smash as DLC, like he did with Smash 4.
Really? I've seen many people argue they'd never add another FE rep because of the potential backlash while also citing Sakurai saying even he thinks there might be too many. Of course the irony is that these are the same arguements people were making before Chrom was revealed.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I've seen many people argue they'd never add another FE rep because of the potential backlash while also citing Sakurai saying even he thinks there might be too many. Of course the irony is that these are the same arguements people were making before Chrom was revealed.

Maybe it's a time for you to come out of the rock which named Haruka.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Maybe echo DLC is finally happening and Edelgard actually works over Ike's moveset.

It's similar to why people wanted a grass type pokemon in Smash, or were upset with so many fire types in Pokken.

An axe can offer moveset variety (as well as another sword if they're creative) but it's not the main reason FE fans are more accepting of the idea. Simply put, it's not a sword like literally evey other playable FE character.
I'm not seeing any good reasons/justification on how an axe/lance is any more unique than half-dragon monstrosity and yet most of the time the FE discourse can't see beyond "hur dur fates sword user worst FE rep". If you looked at all of those conversations it always goes back to weapon variety, imho the most boring and uncreative option you can take.
Who cares if you whack people with an rounded sword (axe) compared to a sword? Or if sakurai went for dragon-powered corrin, or maybe time-fuckery with a whipsword byleth, can people still look beyond the fact that they carry some pointy weapon?

I don't actually think sakurai gives 2 hoots about the FE whining tbh. The fact that he still added Chrom for ultimate says a lot

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I thought that hint was for Pikmin?
It definitely was for the rumored pikmin 3 by King Zell and Emily. Link's Awakening has no crabs, let alone some blue giant crabs.

It's Sabi. "I never confirmed that Animal Crossing would be on the direct and would release on september. It was one of my source who told me that, but I didn't confirm the info", no shit, you aint Nintendo you cant confirm shit.

Sabi is just a little bit more reliable new Marcus Sellars. He has all the typical traits : social media presence : has a twitter AND a discord (wants attention), gets really mad when gets called out for the stuff he gets wrong, throw out almost litterally everything he hears (Nate Drake and others have called him out multiple times for putting his sources in danger)

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually think sakurai gives 2 hoots about the FE whining tbh. The fact that he still added Chrom for ultimate says a lot
People often refer to this column where he discuss Corrin:
I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem

But as we've both said, this argument kind of lost its wind when Chrom was added. Though a counter argument could be made that Chrom was 1. an easy addition 2. had established popularity rather than being an unknown promotional character.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Eh, I wouldn't go as far as to compare her to Sellers. Her 100% accuracy for E3 definitely puts her at least a tier higher than that joker.
Definitely more reliable. But same leaker culture as Sellars (search for attention, can't stand criticisms, doesn't care about NDAs)
But some admins on Era and other insiders implied that he/she got the E3 infos through some illegal ways such as hacking and stuff. So not really by having sources within the industry.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Definitely more reliable. But same leaker culture as Sellars (search for attention, can't stand criticisms, doesn't care about NDAs)
But some admins on Era and other insiders implied that he/she got the E3 infos through some illegal ways such as hacking and stuff. So not really by having sources within the industry.
Well yeah, I can't defend the way that Sabi conducted herself. The E3 info was impressive, but she put a giant target on her back, as she may have revealed a bit too much about the nature of their "source" (directly quoting the Project Scarlett reveal video is a dead giveaway to how deep they were), endangering them and her. They definitely had the c&d coming.

I didn't know anything about the whole hacking thing. Closest thing I remember was people accessing info early from Bandai Namco's unprotected website, but Sabi was far from the only the person to indulge in that (some notable Era members did too).

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the backpedalled logic that was applied to that crab pic something like 'crabs are found on beaches and Link's Awakening has a beach'?

By that logic DLC4 will be a character from a game that features skies cos birds are found in the sky!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Wasn't the backpedalled logic that was applied to that crab pic something like 'crabs are found on beaches and Link's Awakening has a beach'?

By that logic DLC4 will be a character from a game that features skies cos birds are found in the sky!
"What, the fourth character is Frisk? Well, Undertale has plenty of roofs in it, and you can't forget the iconic Bird That Carries You Over A Disproportionately Small Gap.

See, I was right all along!"

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018

Super Mario RPG has Nimbus Land. Geno confirmed.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018

Well a Skyward Sword character would certainly be unexpected, but hey new Zelda character!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well a Skyward Sword character would certainly be unexpected, but hey new Zelda character!
maxresdefault.jpg

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think Isabelle was a deserving character for Smash, but the backlash made sense.

She just wasn't a character many hardcore fans wanted since she never had much presence on "most wanted" polls. Animal Crossing in general is a pretty underrated series among a segment of the Nintendo community, so I don't think there was as much desire for a 2nd rep either.

Add in that she was the follow-up to Inkling, Ridley, Simon, and K. Rool who were all highly wanted characters. Her reveal trailer is honestly the worst Smash trailer due to the complete lack of energy and no fun crossovers in it. Then her being a semi-clone in a game that would have the lowest unique newcomer count of any Smash.

It's pretty apparent she made the cut because she is the 2nd biggest new character Nintendo made around 2012 to 2015. I was pro-Isabelle in the lead-up to her trailer because she was such an important character, and I was also scratching my head a bit after her announcement.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Isabelle's trailer was very cute. Not every trailer needs to be heart pumping "hype".

Plus I wouldn't say the backslash made sense. That's too me is just excusing the fanbasd dumb negative reaction for a character that wasn't for them. Not everything needs to be for the hardcore fanbase. The amount of sexism and hate was god awful to read

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
According to one survey, Animal Crossing had more mentions than Smash during E3 this year. In some ways she was the biggest addition to the cast. It's hard to compare numbers due to the different ways various characters were revealed, but Isabelle had one of the biggest responses from social media.

Isabelle's lack of presence in those polls just went to show how flawed they were. They just consisted of the same people circle jerking each other.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Only problem with Isabelle was her moveset.

For one of the few non-echos in the base game, they could've stood to make her more unique, but I'll admit that I'm not sure how they would've done that.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

For one of the few non-echos in the base game, they could've stood to make her more unique, but I'll admit that I'm not sure how they would've done that.
Yeah, Isabelle only having a single unique aerial sucks. The others at least have different attributes, but the slingshot and turnips honestly feel a bit weird for her.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no, just stupid gamers. It literally was, along with Inklings and gen 7 Pokémon, the most obvious newcommer for Ultimate. She's Animal Crossing's mascot, and already one of Nintendo's most popular character.

Well fuck them, they don't know shit

I'm fine with people not liking Isabelle. People can say they don't like any character that gets into Smash.

Obviously being toxic in disappointment about it goes too far, but there's a range of reactions people had and it is being reductive to just respond to the extremes.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

I was about to come in here and say that, lol.

Her implementation just feels lethargic to me. To me it just feels like Sakurai didn't actually have much interest or passion in including her and only did so out of obligation just because of how ridiculously popular she is. I remember before she was unveiled, some people suggested perhaps the idea of giving her a city building moveset where she plops down buildings for attacks or something along those lines, which sounds absurd but vastly more interesting than what we got. It just kinda sucks that one of our six "unique" newcomers on the base roster this time around was just a semi-clone.

In regards to her reveal, I do think the earthquake in Japan threw a wrench in things. It resulted in the Direct getting delayed, and well, the longer you leave Smash fans hanging, the more their anticipation and imagination is left to soar. I think a lot of people were expecting Skull Kid, no thanks to loz and Lady Bow's avatar thread trying and failing to will him into existence lol

1536944928924.jpg

K. Rool's reveal got people excited over their "never evers" like Geno and Skull Kid. Isabelle basically came in and slapped them back into reality...until the Grinch Leak lol

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A starling is a bird. There are also many different kinds of birds. One of these include Pigeons. Pigeons are a common theme in the game Killer7.

He went to see the devil. Now it's Smash's turn. He has fucking returned.

vu8GGF8.png

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I'm fine with people not liking Isabelle. People can say they don't like any character that gets into Smash.

Obviously being toxic in disappointment about it goes too far, but there's a range of reactions people had and it is being reductive to just respond to the extremes.
Yeah, I'm just talking about the backlash. It was just stupid and awful to read. Especially when Isabelle was definitely the most deserving character to be in along with Inklings. She had to be in Smash.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I think a lot of people were expecting Skull Kid, no thanks to loz and Lady Bow's avatar thread trying and failing to will him into existence lol
Doesn't help that a lot of people on Gamefaqs and forums like that really believed that Lady Bow was actually really an insider "hiding" his leaks behind the avatar threads lmao

Shame about that Skull Kid avatar thread tho, other than that I think Lady Bow was always right, even having the good timing when it wasn't the most obvious time to bet on them (K Rool when Simon leaked, Banjo when Dragon Quest character was datamined months ago), really impressive.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isabelle's trailer was very cute. Not every trailer needs to be heart pumping "hype".

Plus I wouldn't say the backslash made sense. That's too me is just excusing the fanbasd dumb negative reaction for a character that wasn't for them. Not everything needs to be for the hardcore fanbase. The amount of sexism and hate was god awful to read

I think Smash trailers do a pretty good job at covering a lot of themes though in their trailers. Ridley was suspensful, K. Rool was funny, Incineroar was action packed, and so on. If Isabelle's trailer was to be cute I think there were a lot of better alternatives to do it, instead of having the CG spent on recreating the mayor's office from New Leaf. Like I thought Rosalina had a cute trailer with Kirby and Luma interacting.

Fair point about the backlash though, I guess I should've said people being disappointed is fine. There's never an excuse for rampant man-babies to be toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.