• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've heard more talk about RE talk than I've heard actual RE talk.

Like it's really weird how quickly we shifted to "we get it RE is obvious now just stfu about it already."

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the record, RE2 is my current GotY and I'd freak out in excitement if that series got in Smash.

I'm just arguing that we should step back from treating it as a sure thing, partially because we don't have any inside info it's even coming unlike DQ.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Okay, you don't have to have a connection or care. I do personally. RE2make is my goty and maybe one of the best this decade and some other games in the series I really like. So I'm going to talk about it, like how other people here talk about series they want to see in a lot.

Yep. And as long as we don't try to silence each other to impose our wants or opinions because facts or arguments that maybe won't matter in the long run then we are okay.

On that note: Ammy for smash.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It worked for Dragon Quest
The thing is, Hero was speculated for months not because Dragon Quest is big, but because of the datamine that pointed toward him. There's nothing that points in that direction for anyone from Resident Evil and there aren't that many people here that are thrilled for an RE rep in the same way that people were thrilled for the idea of Erdrick.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The thing we should acknowledge is that Resident Evil isn't the next Capcom series with the hardcore fan support in this situation. That's Phoenix Wright. That's Ace Attorney.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The thing is, Hero was speculated for months not because Dragon Quest is big, but because of the datamine that pointed toward him. There's nothing that points in that direction for anyone from Resident Evil and there aren't that many people here that are thrilled for an RE rep in the same way that people were thrilled for the idea of Erdrick.

Count me as someone who is thrilled by the possibility of Jill specifically.

Also, we have some evidence that some kind of work has been done on a female fighter based on Joker in the form of the "Jane" datamined info.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil is far from a sure thing, but there's just so much going for it (massive recognition/popularity, a ton of new Switch ports, long Nintendo history, the gun rule being relaxed) that it almost seems foolish to leave it out of Smash Bros. at this point.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I think that Jane is gonna be Jill Valentine and they used Joker as the base model like they used ZSS for Bayo or Ike for Cloud.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil is far from a sure thing, but there's just so much going for it (massive recognition/popularity, a ton of new Switch ports, long Nintendo history, the gun rule being relaxed) that it almost seems foolish to leave it out of Smash Bros. at this point.

Fan demand is on the side of Phoenix Wright being our next Capcom newcomer over a Resident Evil protagonist.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Actually, wait, question. Why would they use Joker as a base for a RE character? Wouldn't they need to start at least some initial work on them before Joker was finished?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't think fan demand matters much when it comes to the next Capcom character, to be honest.

Fan demand is a funny thing. It certainly plays a part in a lot of decisions. Especially if Sakurai already has an interest. But it's definitely hard to quantify.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't be as confident in Resident Evil as some people around here are.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't do avatar bets. The only time I even offered one was out of sheer frustration in an argument, and the other person passed.

But this isn't the way to get people to not get mad about RE talk.
Yea, but you are doing the opposite now with spamming that ace attorney is so much more wanted and popular for smash apparently. Play what you preach.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I see you've taken to using online polls as definitive proof of fan demand and popularity.

I think fan demand plays a role, albeit one that can be hard to quantify. But if we were going exclusively off of that, we'd be talking about Leon as the Resident Evil rep. Jill and Chris don't even rate in comparison, but people are talking about Jill because of our lack of female characters in the Fighters Pass. (No, Kazooie is not enough, people.)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think fan demand plays a role, albeit one that can be hard to quantify. But if we were going exclusively off of that, we'd be talking about Leon as the Resident Evil rep. Jill and Chris don't even rate in comparison, but people are talking about Jill because of our lack of female characters in the Fighters Pass. (No, Kazooie is not enough, people.)
People also talk about jill because jane.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, but you are doing the opposite now with spamming that ace attorney is so much more wanted and popular for smash apparently. Play what you preach.

All I'm pointing out is the hardcore would be more excited by Phoenix Wright than by a Resident Evil protagonist. We very likely could see a Resident Evil rep, and people would be excited by them, but you're going about how to handle this all wrong.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If some of us had to deal with months of Erdrick and DQ talk the rest of you can do the same with Resident Evil. It's not that hard.
giphy.gif

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Fan demand is a funny thing. It certainly plays a part in a lot of decisions. Especially if Sakurai already has an interest. But it's definitely hard to quantify.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't be as confident in Resident Evil as some people around here are.
We can only gauge fan demand subjectively, and I can't honestly say Phoenix Wright has ever struck me as a big request for Smash Bros. He's certainly not Ridley, K. Rool, or Banjo. I'm not saying there aren't fan polls you can dig up that might say otherwise -- it's just my personal feeling after spending years in the speculation scene. Maybe he is the next most requested Capcom character, but that demand is so comparatively low that I don't think it'll amount to anything. Ace Attorney is a fairly niche series.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
All I'm pointing out is the hardcore would be more excited by Phoenix Wright than by a Resident Evil protagonist. We very likely could see a Resident Evil rep, and people would be excited by them, but you're going about how to handle this all wrong.

The hardcore would've been more excited for Sora not some DQ hero. Banjo is the only fighter in the pass that got in solely on fan voting so far. He could be the only one you know?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The fighters are determined by whatever criteria Sakurai wants to use on an individual basis.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I'd be happy for RE fans if they got a character and I can certainly accept RE's place an iconic, Smash-worthy franchise in the wider context of gaming, but I wouldn't personally be hyped for an RE character. The series just isn't my jam, though I enjoy watching them be played and following the cheesy, twisty-turny story is fun.

...That is, unless it was the one character it would never be, which is Sheva. She's horribly underutilized in her own series and I'd love to get a woman of color into the roster, especially as Twintelle's chances have mostly come and gone.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People also talk about jill because jane.

I've seen the Jane discussions.

We can only gauge fan demand subjectively, and I can't honestly say Phoenix Wright has ever struck me as a big request for Smash Bros. He's certainly not Ridley, K. Rool, or Banjo. I'm not saying there aren't fan polls you can dig up that might say otherwise -- it's just my personal feeling after spending years in the speculation scene. Maybe he is the next most requested Capcom character, but that demand is so comparatively low that I don't think it'll amount to anything. Ace Attorney is a fairly niche series.

Smash doesn't always go for the biggest series. If it did, we would have had Resident Evil long before Mega Man and Street Fighter.

The hardcore would've been more excited for Sora not some DQ hero. Banjo is the only fighter in the pass that got in solely on fan voting so far. He could be the only one you know?

*Shrugs* Maybe.

Do you not remember our Capcom Poll in this very thread? (Or was that in the previous Smash DLC thread?)

Who's the #1 Capcom character in the Sourcegaming poll? Phoenix Wright. With Dante just below him.

Where's Leon? #30. Below Phoenix, Dante, and Amaterasu. Chris and Jill don't even rate.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
If Mr. Wright wanted my support for Smash he should have released his Switch collection on cartridge in the West.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
The fighters are determined by whatever criteria Sakurai wants to use on an individual basis.

This is the absolute truth. He weighs all the factors differently depending on the character. Sometimes he just says "fuck it I want this character" and he makes it happen regardless of other considerations.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone, please, this isn't us. We have a power, the power to rise above our base anger, to accept one another for who they are, and to understand that Geno is a hard lock.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All I'm saying is, at this point, it seems foolish to treat Resident Evil as a sure thing. I say this while also fully acknowledging it may get in.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Smash doesn't always go for the biggest series. If it did, we would have had Resident Evil long before Mega Man and Street Fighter.
Obviously, but Mega Man and Street Fighter are still among Capcom's four biggest series, and you can't compare the feverish demand for Mega Man to whatever nebulous popularity Phoenix Wright might possess. I don't think Resident Evil should just arbitrarily be included because it's Capcom's best-selling series -- it should be included because it's a critical and commercial smash hit with mainstream popularity and decades of history. It's the perfect inclusion for a video game museum like Smash Bros.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously, but Mega Man and Street Fighter are still among Capcom's four biggest series, and you can't compare the feverish demand for Mega Man to whatever nebulous popularity Phoenix Wright might possess. I don't think Resident Evil should just arbitrarily be included because it's Capcom's best-selling series -- it should be included because it's a critical and commercial smash hit with mainstream popularity and decades of history. It's the perfect inclusion for a video game museum like Smash Bros.

That's a fine argument to make about Resident Evil, but this post also feels oddly dismissive of Ace Attorney. Are you familiar with the series and its popularity? Are you aware that it also popularized a genre (the visual novel), and inspired other popular visual novel franchises (like Danganronpa)? Do you think Detective Pikachu would even exist without Ace Attorney?

It's not as big as Resident Evil, but it's no less worthy for consideration because of that.

USg: Visual novels have only been viable in America for roughly ten years, thanks in part to the Phoenix Wright series. Why do you think it's taken so long for America to understand this genre, and what do you think about the future of this genre in our country?

KK: I'd like to draw a distinction between visual novels and something like Phoenix Wright. Visual novels are generally composed of text on a screen that the player is reading—and then, they're usually limited to PC. When you look at Phoenix Wright and Danganronpa, you actually see gameplay elements, and that's what made these games catch on. I feel there's a big opportunity in America for visual novels, but that depends on how much gameplay developers are able to incorporate into them.

Phoenix Wright has earned a spot in gaming history.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why we are deriding fan polls when K. Rool, Ridley, and now Banjo and Kazooie are in the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.