• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Problem is, a lot of the new IPs they made/published just didn't really catch on. Dillon, Wonderful 101, Fossil Fighters, etc certainly didn't draw a large crowd.

Splatoon was the first new character based IP Nintendo produced in a long time that felt like it could stand toe to toe with Mario and Zelda.

I don't really care if it can stand toe to toe. Like, what really matters? That they make interesting, new games, or that every franchise has to eat more of the triple-AAA budget pie?

ARMS is pretty much an equal effort on the level of Splatoon, it's just limited by its genre really. It's too hardcore by nature and yet not hardcore enough.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
i want sakurai to just go "fuck it!" and put in a bunch of b-tier Nintendo fighters in the next smash and just prop the rest of the hype on the few other big names

But instead it'll probably just be Spring man, a few echo scraps and then idk 8 third parties with another 5 in the dlc

I have no attachment to Fossil Fighters I just remember lookign it up and going "huh this keeps selling pretty well despite literally no one talking about it ever"
I doubt that ARMS will be the only successful new IP from Nintendo between now & the next Smash game. If Astral Chain succeeds, there's another potential character for the next game right there with Akira.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Music Theory just makes me mad at all the series that didn't get new remixes, really.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I don't think his chances are as bad as people make it out to be.
With Banjo off the board, Sora is by far the most fan demanded character left on the board. I'm pretty confident they will make it happen if there happens to be a season 2. 2 Square characters in one pass seems unlikely but I don't think it's impossible either

All true, but do you think Sakurai would even want to work with Square Enix again after how difficult and restrictive they were with Cloud (a whole two songs for Midgar, no FF or FF VII spirits or trophies beyond Cloud and AC Cloud, an apparently awful approval process, etc.)?

Then again, he already has worked with them again through Hero, so perhaps the possibility of a third Square character (which I do think would have to be Sora if anyone) isn't off the table. I think the how on the table this possibility actually is will be influenced by the nature of Hero's presence in Smash. If it's barebones like Cloud, then I'd say Sora's chances are pretty bleak. But if DQ gets proper musical and spirit representation, then there may yet be some hope...

But even if we're lucky enough for all of the above to work in Sora's favor, there's still the impossibly high hurdle of getting Disney to even play ball... but then again, if there's a single person in the world who could ever successfully negotiate Sora's inclusion with Disney, it's Sakurai.

God, how hype that would be...

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
F-Zero gets 3, Star Fox gets 0.

I also don't get how Kid Icarus did not get a single new song
A breakdown for those not steeped in The Music

MARIO: ~34 new rips, 6 new remixes
DONKEY KONG: 3 new rips, 5 new remixes
ZELDA: 3 rips, 9 new remixes
METROID: 4 rips, 3 remixes
YOSHI: 1 remix
KIRBY: 9 rips, 2 remixes, 1 refashioning of the retro medley for my music purposes
STAR FOX: 3 rips
POKEMON: 8 remixes
FZERO: 8 rips (all from the snes game), 3 remixes
FIRE EMBLEM: 4 rips, 10 remixes. Also another 3 rips from the FE songs in Codename steam
EARTHBOUND: 2 remixes (both of songs already remixed)
PIKMIN: 4 rips, 2 remixes
METAL GEAR: 1 rip, 2 remixes
ANIMAL CROSSING: 1 rip, 3 remixes
RETRO: 4 remixes (3 of which already had remixes...)
WII FIT: 2 rips, 2 remixes
XENOBLADE: 3 rips
MODERN-ISH: ~19 rips, 8 remixes
MEGA MAN: 4 rips, 17 remixes
STREET FIGHTER: 2 remixes and 30 rips (not counting the pinch themes)
SONIC: 3 rips
"PACMAN": 3 remixes (retro medlies)

WARIO, KID ICARUS, PUNCH-OUT, FINAL FANTASY, BAYONETTA: Absolutely nothing at all

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
My stance on the music rule changed by the week depending on what characters were deconfirmed and if I liked/disliked them lmao

Like when the Pokémon music "deconfirmed" Incineroar I jumped on Music Rule so hard

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
What if we got someone more unexpected like elizabeth, to match another psabr rep?
Alright unless I missed someone you're probably talking about Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, right? In that case, she's got no chance, Bioshock's never been on a Nintendo console.

My stance on the music rule changed by the week depending on what characters were deconfirmed and if I liked/disliked them lmao

Like when the Pokémon music "deconfirmed" Incineroar I jumped on Music Rule so hard
I won't lie, the entire reason I was on board with Music Theory early on was that it was one of the last things giving me hope for Elma.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

I was definitely on board with music theory for a while there just because they seemed to be going with different franchises each week and they went out of their way to delay the animal crossing remix to coincide with Isabelle.

When the rerun series started up, though, I started going with the only real music theory being that they save a song to go with the newcomer

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I wish, at the very least, every series got a new remix. The rips are appreciated but like, say a jazzy Xenoblade remix would be cool too.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I've been thinking about the whole "how well does it sell in Japan" thing with Smash. And a thought came to me.

I know Nintendo has commented on series being in Smash getting sales boosts. And how we've all agreed that while Dragon Quest is definetely for Japan, it's also to help boost sales in the west.

So my question is, why can't that tactic be used in Japan? Like, say they put Crash in hypothetically. Why couldn't a reason be to help boost sales in Japan and get another third party franchise regularly being released on Nintendo systems in Japan?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
"Music theory deconfirms Incineroar!"

11f.png

You know, I've been thinking about the whole "how well does it sell in Japan" thing with Smash. And a thought came to me.

I know Nintendo has commented on series being in Smash getting sales boosts. And how we've all agreed that while Dragon Quest is definetely for Japan, it's also to help boost sales in the west.

So my question is, why can't that tactic be used in Japan? Like, say they put Crash in hypothetically. Why couldn't a reason be to help boost sales in Japan and get another third party franchise regularly being released on Nintendo systems in Japan?

It's a numbers game. It's more meaningful to try to reach audiences outside of Japan than within. Most western developers probably don't really care if their games are popular in Japan as it's not that big compared to America, Europe, and other territories. Outside of Crash and Minecraft, very few western franchises have found meaningful success in Japan. The opposite isn't true.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
just off the top of my head the following got remixed again: Big Blue, Brinstar Depths, Fourside, Magicant, Light Plane, Duck Hunt Medley, Wrecking Crew Medley, Bath Time, Life on the Island (BY THE SAME GUY), Wild World's Title theme, Pikmin's main theme, Lost in Thoughts All Alone

There might be one or two others, it's maddening

Addendum unclear, adding three new remixes of Lost in Thoughts All Alone and DK Island Swing.
By some miracle Ultiamte is the only time they did not ad a new Island Swing

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Crash joins Rayman and Steve in my "I would really rather not" list
For the reason of: I dont like him or how he looks. I see him and I make that cat hates bananas face more than usual.

no beating around the bush here, it is purely arbitrary aesthetic reasons

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Crash joins Rayman and Steve in my "I would really rather not" list
For the reason of: I dont like him or how he looks. I see him and I make that cat hates bananas face more than usual.

no beating around the bush here, it is purely arbitrary aesthetic reasons
No problem with that reasoning. That's basically how I feel about the fe crew honestly.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know it's funny looking back at old promotional stuff for Crash. Art and commercials liked to paint him as rude or edgy, but in the games themselves Crash has never been anything but a giant goofball.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
You know it's funny looking back at old promotional stuff for Crash. Art and commercials liked to paint him as rude or edgy, but in the games themselves Crash has never been anything but a giant goofball.
As a kid the ads having Crash shit on Mario and Sonic made me not wanna play the games lol. I was like "who the hell does this guy think he is?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.