• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My parents would know Digimon more than Tamagotchi, but that's probably because my sister and I loved the anime

We still have a Digimon beach towel from 20 years ago. I was obsessed as a kid.

I do think the fact that Digimon's legacy as a video game series is minimal at best is what would keep it out of Smash.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Digimon's biggest obsticle in Tamagotchi - same company, much bigger name.

Ask your parents if they remember the virtual pet Tamagotchi vs the virtual pet Digimon. Heck, some people act surprised when they learn Digimon didn't start life as an anime.

Heck, Memetchi is like a mascot for Bandai.

bandai%2Bheadquarters%2Bmametchi%2Btamagotchi%2Basakusa%2Btokyo%2Bjapan%2B2.jpg
I don't think Tamagotchi is an obstacle for Digimon. If anything, it helps. Digimon is literally just "what if we made Tamagachi fight each other?" Agumon could count as a representative for virtual pets generally.

To go along with companion theory, Memetchi could be in Agumon's taunt.

With characters like Mega Man (Capcom), Ryu (Capcom USA), Cloud (Square) and now Hero (Enix) it would be nice to get a character from the Bandai side of Bandai-Namco.

And I agree 100%, I think now that both halves of Square Enix have a rep, the Bandai side of Bandai Namco needs some love, and Tamagatchi/Digimon is arguably their biggest multimedia success story.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Why didn't we get a Rocket Belt arrangement. 😢

Because Light Plane is good enough to be remixed again.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Banjo was the only western character in the Fighters Pass. But on the off chance that we do get another one, I feel like it may be someone like Doom Slayer.
i feel the same way. I feel like Sakurai would be interested in translating the FPS genre into a Smash fighter, and Doom Slayer is the best choice for that.

I wonder if they would even have Doom Eternal stuff in the moveset.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The collection bombed on the PS4. We don't know how Switch units sold (probably nothing great but better than PS4 I'm sure).

If it sold well, we would definitely know. That's how Japanese game sales work.

Not that it matters anyway, only Japanese polls I've seen (I don't even remember where they were from) had Crash doing well. I'm pretty sure 1 poll had him #1 or #2 behind Sora.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Banjo was the only western character in the Fighters Pass. But on the off chance that we do get another one, I feel like it may be someone like Doom Slayer.
i feel the same way. I feel like Sakurai would be interested in translating the FPS genre into a Smash fighter, and Doom Slayer is the best choice.

I wonder if they would even have Doom Eternal stuff in the moveset.

Still think Master Chief would be the "best choice" to represent the FPS genre in Smash since his source material is inherently less violent and more cartoonish and he's more famous,, but if Sakurai managed to tone down Doom Slayer in a way that made sense, I would be hype to see him as well.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Still think Master Chief would be the "best choice" to represent the FPS genre in Smash since his source material is inherently less violent and more cartoonish and he's more famous,, but if Sakurai managed to tone down Doom Slayer in a way that made sense, I would be hype to see him as well.
Then again, Sakurai has referred to Carmack as the "King of the FSP genre", so I feel like he would go with an id Software character to represent the genre.

Plus Banjo already took the Microsoft rep slot on the Fighters Pass.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
With the overwhelmingly positive reaction to the first three Fighters Pass characters in Japan, it would be weird if they suddenly brought out a Literally Who from their perspective.

Not that it's impossible or unlikely. It would just be weird. I'd love to read their reactions after the fact.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
If Perfect Dark was released in the place of Goldeneye, and garnered the same sales and attention from fans, would people be seriously rooting for Joanna Dark?

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Master Chief would be like, the west's Hero. No bigger character over here, no smaller character over there.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Sakurai probably feels he's done plenty of fanservice for western fans in this game. What with K. Rool and Banjo getting in. Something tells me that the remainder of DLC will be Japanese origin characters.

*shrug*
This idea that Sakurai fulfills quotas when choosing Smash characters is a bit pretentious, imo.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
But Banjo already accomplished that.

No? The original Banjo-Kazooie was decently popular in Japan (it sold in the range of Persona 5, if you want to argue that Joker is a "Japanese pick") and they were commonly requested Smash characters. The reaction to Banjo in Japan was largely positive.

Master Chief would be like, the west's Hero. No bigger character over here, no smaller character over there.

At least Dragon Quest has had some million sellers in the west. I don't think any Halo game hit even 100k in Japan.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
They should just use generic Bond from the other Nintendo James Bond title

cover_large.jpg

(Remake with the Link's Awakening Switch engine when?)

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if I can see Master Chief getting in. Like, Banjo-Kazooie is one thing, because they're classic Nintendo characters, and even Steve/Alex might be in the cards since Minecraft is everywhere. But Master Chief is sort of a symbol of Xbox and its flagship title and at the end of the day, Nintendo and Microsoft are competitors. BotW2 and Halo Infinite are probably going to go head-to-head as late-2020 prestige titles for their respective platforms. That's a little bit different from the relationship Nintendo has with Banjo-Kazooie or Steve/Alex.

Of course, this could all change if, say, Master Chief Collection comes out on Switch.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
No? The original Banjo-Kazooie was decently popular in Japan (it sold in the range of Persona 5, if you want to argue that Joker is a "Japanese pick") and they were commonly requested Smash characters. The reaction to Banjo in Japan was largely positive.

At least Dragon Quest has had some million sellers in the west. I don't think any Halo game hit even 100k in Japan.
Halo is extremely popular in Japan.
Hah, I'm aware. I thought Halo had sold less than that, honestly.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'm not sure if I can see Master Chief getting in. Like, Banjo-Kazooie is one thing, because they're classic Nintendo characters, and even Steve/Alex might be in the cards since Minecraft is everywhere. But Master Chief is sort of a symbol of Xbox and its flagship title and at the end of the day, Nintendo and Microsoft are competitors. BotW2 and Halo Infinite are probably going to go head-to-head as late-2020 prestige titles for their respective platforms. That's a little bit different from the relationship Nintendo has with Banjo-Kazooie or Steve/Alex.

Of course, this could all change if, say, Master Chief Collection comes out on Switch.
Did Spencer say that Microsoft and Nintendo aren't competitors or was that fan conjecture?

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that Dovahkiin would be one of the very few western reps I could see getting in, and a Kirby Fus Ro Dah would be dope as shit, but it's still nothing next to the idea of Doomguy in Smash.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear that.

But Digimon don't have a clear origin in videogames, or at least that's how I see the general opinion about the franchise. That's why I think it has very low chances of appearing on Smash.
They do actually.

digimon.png

It's not debatable that they originated with these, and it's no less viable than Game and Watch.
Same here, i REALLY want Agumon to be the Namco rep but my head - it's likely to be Heihachi
  • Heihachi or Yoshimitsu (For Tekken/Soulcalibur)
  • Yuri or Lloyd (For Tales Of)
  • Agumon (For Digimon)
  • Kos-Mos (Not really for Xenosaga, but just because she is a widely used crossover character and the Monolithsoft/Nintendo connection).

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that third-parties have become the dominant new franchises represented in Smash over the course of three installments.

Brawl - 4 Nintendo, 2 guest (Nintendo dominance)
For - 5 Nintendo, 5 guest (equal)
Ultimate - 1 Nintendo, 4 guest (third-party dominance)

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that third-parties have become the dominant new franchises represented in Smash over the course of three installments.

To be fair, this is partly on Nintendo for not investing as much in new IP and instead continuing to reuse the same franchises. It is also partly on the fact that there weren't originally third party characters in the series, and plenty that so belong in the game now that its expanded to be a "Video game all stars" versus just a "Nintendo all stars" kind of game. It's only natural third parties should dominate in terms of new franchise additions because they're playing catch up.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

That's what happens when there just aren't enough new major new Nintendo IPs or characters to make use of.

Sakurai's never going to utilize stuff like Wonderful 101 or Chibi-Robo! for playable characters, so outside of the occasional Splatoon, third parties are the future of Smash, pretty much.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Say this happens (as people have been speculating). What happens then?

I would consider Master Chief to be somewhat more likely, since he would be a multi-platform character with Nintendo games and less of a symbol of a competing console? I'm not really sure what you're asking, here, I mean I already said that MCC Switch would potentially change my opinion on his chances.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
If Only You Were More Iconic - An Elegy
I dub thee the list of characters that are great but are probably too small-time to get in Smash, based on my pessimism.

Agumon
Phoenix Wright, compared to other Capcom characters
Spyro, compared to Crash
Klonoa
Lip
KOS-MOS
Amaterasu

It is known.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Did Rhythm Heaven miss its window? Is it even going to get new games again?

I still think Sakurai just couldn't figure out how to make a rhythm based character in Smash fun and functional.

Like, remember the last time we had a rhythm based attack in Smash?

latest

Yeah, it was awful lol

There should definitely be a stage and/or an AT, though

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Rhythm Heaven is dead. Megamix came out in 2015 and, last I heard, sold 650k in Japan.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I still think Sakurai just couldn't figure out how to make a rhythm based character in Smash fun and functional.

Like, remember the last time we had a rhythm based attack in Smash?

latest

Yeah, it was awful lol

There should definitely be a stage and/or an AT, though
It sucked because of the range which is nothing to do with the rhythm aspect. Never had any problem hitting perfects.

It should have also ended with "DON-KEY KON-GA HUH!"

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
If Only You Were More Iconic - An Elegy
I dub thee the list of characters that are great but are probably too small-time to get in Smash, based on my pessimism.

Phoenix Wright, compared to other Capcom characters
Lip
Amaterasu

It is known.
Sshhh; let me dream.

Wright is ERA's official most-wanted Capcom rep (and has the closest connection to Nintendo), so i'd beg to differ on that one.

It's good that you consider The Prince of All Cosmos big enough to avoid being on this list though!

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
And so I leave you for the day with a character that the Smash community barely ever mentions despite being a classic:

Bonkadventure.jpg

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Sshhh; let me dream.

Wright is ERA's official most-wanted Capcom rep (and has the closest connection to Nintendo), so i'd beg to differ on that one.

It's good that you consider The Prince of All Cosmos big enough to avoid being on this list though!
I would die for Phoenix in Smash (but not actually, because then I wouldn't be able to enjoy Phoenix in Smash), but I see a lot going against him. There's the assumption that we're getting another Capcom character in the first place.

Deleted member 52093

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2019

This is primarily due to the fact that Nintendo still doesn't fully value the creation of major new IPs as much as their legacy franchises.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I know there's like a 0.01% chance this will ever happen (and that .01 is entirely due to Cloud getting in), but my last remaining dream character is Sora and I'll hold out the slightest bit of hope for him until Nintendo confirms that DLC has concluded for Smash Ultimate... which, unrealistically, I hope they never do.

That said, even if Sora never happens (and he won't in all likelihood because of the Disney factor as well as Square Enix apparently being awful to work with), I could never, ever complain because a) Sakurai is a goddamn miracle worker whom we do not deserve and b) I already got my two other dream characters in Mega Man and Banjo-Kazooie. I'm more than content with that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'll take Phoenix Wright just for his music.

I like the original Ace Attorney trilogy but Phoenix has never really interested me as a Smash fighter. If Sakurai can make him cool and fun though then sure why not.

There's only a few characters in play (Phoenix, Leon/Jill, Crash, Dante, maybe Sora) that would elicit more than a "oh neat" reaction from me, but I already got my cereal mascot and I'm sure the last two fighters will be as excellent as the first three.

The point is... Capcom has so many cool characters. Please do not stick us with a generic Monster Hunter, Sakurai, or if you do, at LEAST make it default to female.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I still wonder if Heihachi appearing in Pac-Man's taunt has any bearings on his chances at being DLC.

KTltua0.jpg

It's a pretty minor and small cameo, but you'd think if Heihachi was coming later, they'd try to scrub all references to him in the base game. Persona, Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie are nowhere to be seen, after all.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I still wonder if Heihachi appearing in Pac-Man's taunt has any bearings on his chances at being DLC.

KTltua0.jpg

It's a pretty minor and small cameo, but you'd think if Heihachi was coming later, they'd try to scrub all references to him in the base game. Persona, Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie are nowhere to be seen, after all.
It obviously doesn't disconfirm Heihachi

because The Prince of All Cosmos is also part of that taunt and they will definitely be playable!

Status
Not open for further replies.