• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Side note: If you haven't played Cadence of Hyrule, you should really give it a shot. And if any western indie rep makes in as playable, Cadence should be at the top of the list for her rhythm gimmick as well as being a shovel wielder (sorry, Shovel Knight).
I would, but Crash is out Friday. I'm broke af atm.

I was interested in Cadence due to my favorite YouTube's wife working on sone if the music.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Cloud for sure. I wasn't exposed to any leaks, and just seeing him in the flesh was really something. The other trailers were pretty good as well.
But I did laugh a lot during Corrin's trailer, cause the thought of seeing thousands of people watching the fates cutscene was something altogether.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
But I did laugh a lot during Corrin's trailer, cause the thought of seeing thousands of people watching the fates cutscene was something altogether.
Yeah, I was laughing at the Corrin reveal too. I recognized the If cutscene immediately, so I knew exactly what was happening.

The name Corrin was a surprise to me though; I wasn't keeping up with localization news so I hadn't heard that name before.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I was livid that the only Nintendo newcomer in Smash 4 DLC was Corrin.

At least this time around we got Banjo who is basically a Nintendo character. And uh, Piranha Plant.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Yeah, I was laughing at the Corrin reveal too. I recognized the If cutscene immediately, so I knew exactly what was happening.

The name Corrin was a surprise to me though; I wasn't keeping up with localization news so I hadn't heard that name before.
It was really funny cause the cutscene was pretty long (and it was obvious corrin was in), so everyone got to deal with seeing Carmila for 1 minute.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine hoping for characters that were seen as Never Evers and then they actually got in.

500px-King_K._Rool_SSBU.png
K Rool wasn't a never ever. They are still a character from Nintendo (which always gives you a chance), from a current series and Sakurai had never said anything about how hard they'd be to add (which was of course the source for all the Ridley jokes). Sounds like you were sipping the ol' Gonzo juice.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
K Rool wasn't a never ever. They are still a character from Nintendo (which always gives you a chance), from a current series and Sakurai had never said anything about how hard they'd be to add (which was of course the source for all the Ridley jokes). Sounds like you were sipping the ol' Gonzo juice.

I don't know what Gonzo juice is, my point was more about the public perception of the character. Just look back at people dancing on his grave when Vergeben seemingly said "no DK rep," saying he never had a shot to begin with. I actually felt pretty confident once Sakurai became aware of the fan demand he would add the character.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Plenty of people shat on K. Rool's chances before his reveal, let's not pretend like that didn't happen. After "too big" blew up in the faces of a lot of people, K. Rool and "too irrelevant" (or "too ugly", as one or two people on Era hilariously tried to push) was next up.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I dunno, there definitely was a perception that K.Rool was irrelevant to modern Donkey Kong.

Like even his trailer has Dedede, the character voiced by Sakurai, troll as if the idea of K.Rool getting in was inherently silly.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I put down never ever to mean a character whose chances are extremely low. I'd argue Villager was more of a never ever than K Rool considering what Sakurai had previously said about them during the development of Brawl.

Banjo Kazooie was tied to MS, a competitor to Nintendo and thus in a differnet to league to other third party characters.

Ridley really needs no explanation.

Internet trolling never dictates what a character's chances are. I mean even Waluigi has a chance to make it into the next game no matter how much we mock him.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I put down never ever to mean a character whose chances are extremely low. I'd argue Villager was more of a never ever than K Rool considering what Sakurai had previously said about them during the development of Brawl.

Banjo Kazooie was tied to MS, a competitor to Nintendo and thus in a differnet to league to other third party characters.

Ridley really needs no explanation.

Internet trolling never dictates what a character's chances are. I mean even Waluigi has a chance to make it into the next game no matter how much we mock him.
I interpreted "were seen as Never Evers" as exclusively being about how people viewed their chances in the Smash community, not what their actual chances were. Otherwise i'd agree that K. Rool was never a no-hoper.

Someone already linked this here fairly recently, but
Uju8WS0.png

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of such. I notice no one ever puts down Haruka Amami as a no hoper cos they're all secretly tsundere for her.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Speaking of such. I notice no one ever puts down Haruka Amami as a no hoper cos they're all secretly tsundere for her.
Hey, Haruka is not a no-hoper!

There's always a chance that Sakurai gets bored, puts all of the Ballot votes into a giant bag and pulls out your Haruka vote.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, Haruka is not a no-hoper!

There's always a chance that Sakurai gets bored, puts all of the Ballot votes into a giant bag and pulls out your Haruka vote.
That's the logic I went with when I voted for Mister Magician to rep Nintendo's pre Famicom toys. Technically the wording did imply they could just pick a suggestion they found interesting.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm the 1% of the fanbase that also likes all the representation from things outside of the playable characters.
I'm there too.

I must be a freak in the eyes of the Smash fanbase for thinking that certain characters (like Geno and Elma) should've been Assist Trophies if they weren't going to be playable.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm there too.

I must be a freak in the eyes of the Smash fanbase for thinking that certain characters (like Geno and Elma) should've been Assist Trophies if they weren't going to be playable.

I think I've talked about this before, but it's still incredibly weird to me that Geno wasn't made an AT given that the Smash team had to negotiate for his Spirit.

I wonder if it's possible that he wasn't made an AT on the off chance they could make him playable down the line.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If it's a character of low importance or low chance I'll generally be happy to see them than not. If Bomberman and Zero were never going to be playable, I'm cool with their Assist Trophies.

Even Ridley's boss battles in Brawl were well done and portrayed the character well. His Smash 4 portrayal and the absolutely dreadful drawing out of the shadow drama though was garbage.

I was embarrassingly upset over the K. Rool mii costume as well, convincing myself he was a "sure thing" for Smash 4 DLC... it wasn't good. After the last set of DLC I was convinced I'd be an old man by the time I got to play as K. Rool in Smash. It just fucked me that such a popular character got rejected like that, but obviously if I knew that the next Smash was already in the planning stages I would have reacted differently.

Waiting until the end of the hype cycle to see your fav deconfirmed is what really sucks, I think. I sympathize with Isaac supporters and the like in that regard. I'm glad K. Rool got confirmed for Ultimate relatively early so I didn't have to worry about that. Same with Banjo for this DLC cycle.

I would rather K. Rool not be in the game at all if he wasn't playable. Seeing him as an Assist Trophy would just feel like salt in the wound. It's not a rational thought, I realize. Thankfully we will never have to worry about that again.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Also, as a diehard K. Rool supporter, I have never felt a sense of fear like I did for these five seconds in the August Direct...

"Let me introduce some new items, Assist Trophies, and Pokemon."

b9FuUgx.png

The way DK and Diddy were spaced apart... I was positive a K. Rool Assist was about to fall out of the sky. Thankfully, he showed up later in a very different and spectacular fashion.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
If it's a character of low importance or low chance I'll generally be happy to see them than not. If Bomberman and Zero were never going to be playable, I'm cool with their Assist Trophies.

Even Ridley's boss battles in Brawl were well done and portrayed the character well. His Smash 4 portrayal and the absolutely dreadful drawing out of the shadow drama though was garbage.

I was embarrassingly upset over the K. Rool mii costume as well, convincing myself he was a "sure thing" for Smash 4 DLC... it wasn't good. After the last set of DLC I was convinced I'd be an old man by the time I got to play as K. Rool in Smash. It just fucked me that such a popular character got rejected like that, but obviously if I knew that the next Smash was already in the planning stages I would have reacted differently.

Waiting until the end of the hype cycle to see your fav deconfirmed is what really sucks, I think. I sympathize with Isaac supporters and the like in that regard. I'm glad K. Rool got confirmed for Ultimate relatively early so I didn't have to worry about that. Same with Banjo for this DLC cycle.
Yeah, i'm glad characters like Bomberman, Zero, Rodin, Shovel Knight, Isaac, Krystal and many more are still present in an expanded form, even if they aren't exactly playable.

I was also fine with Ridley's boss appearances in Brawl, but the stage hazard in Smash 4 just felt like a downgrade.

I had a feeling that Inkling and K. Rool wouldn't be DLC. Even in 2015 I had a hunch that they would save them for the base roster of the next Smash; that's how I personally interpreted the Mii Costumes.
Also, as a diehard K. Rool supporter, I have never felt a sense of fear like I did for these five seconds in the August Direct...

"Let me introduce some new items, Assist Trophies, and Pokemon."

b9FuUgx.png

The way DK and Diddy were spaced apart... I was positive a K. Rool Assist was about to fall out of the sky. Thankfully, he showed up later in a very different and spectacular fashion.
Luckily, the banana gun was already spotted somewhere before the Direct, so I knew exactly what they were building up to. I was sure K. Rool was in when they got to the Klaptrap AT honestly.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I held my breath during the AT reel of the final Direct.

So many casualties that day.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Shadow drama was entirely on the fans.

I personally knew he was like 99% deconfirmed, but I really have no idea why they didn't show the model proper. They must have thought "teasing" a poorly done stage hazard would excite the fans.

I was sure K. Rool was in when they got to the Klaptrap AT honestly.

Yeah, that put K. Rool in "hard lock" category for me. Then of course I was bracing myself for "it doesn't count like the Kritters in Smash Run don't count" as a counterargument, but the fact that the very first Assist Trophy in the DK series was a Klaptrap was a real eyebrow raiser to me.

August Direct was peak Smash. It'll never be that hype again.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I held my breath during the AT reel of the final Direct.

So many casualties that day.
Shadow being part of a montage before the actual reel began was painful, lol. They should've ripped that bandage off in August like they did with Ashley.

Most of the November Assist reel was really cool (they saved some of the best ATs for last), but... RIP Isaac and Spring Man.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Definitely hit F in the chat once the Golden Sun music started playing. The Spring-Man AT was a fucking wildcard though, along with the Rex costume; like everyone else, I was sure they'd be DLC characters.

All said, if Waluigi is any sign, even frontloading all the popular character deconfirmations would do little to soften the blow.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The Mii Costume reel honestly hit me more personally, because...
Dq5lgzKWkAAO1YB.jpg

I would've taken an Assist Trophy Sakurai.

I WOULD'VE TAKEN AN ASSIST TROPHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chibi-Robo being the first spirit they showed was neat I guess though.

Last edited:

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
Didn't Nintendo completely screw over Chibi-Robo? I thought I heard that they released a really crappy installment, it didn't sell well, and then they decided not to continue the franchise.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Didn't Nintendo completely screw over Chibi-Robo? I thought I heard that they released a really crappy installment, it didn't sell well, and then they decided not to continue the franchise.
That's the fan outrage version of the story. The actual quote from Tanabe is:

"To be honest, this might be the last chance for us… I've continually thought about new ways to build this into a mainstream success. We've challenged ourselves in assorted ways along those lines, but I can't say we've found the answer yet."

Making Zip Lash a 2D platformer was the choice of the team behind it, since none of the previous games had performed too well (and well... Zip Lash didn't change that). The enraged fan in me thinks that if the direct sequel to the original was localised and released it the west, the DS would've helped it find moderate success.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I missed out on the first because no store around here wanted to stock new GameCube games. Was disappointed the Wii port didn't come out here either.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I missed out on the first because no store around here wanted to stock new GameCube games. Was disappointed the Wii port didn't come out here either.
Oh yeah, good point. Tanabe wonders why the series could never find success, but I think keeping the main series installments on the DS and Wii (two of Nintendo's most wide-reaching and best-selling platforms) locked up in Japan may have contributed to that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have a bad track record of trying new Nintendo franchises.

I grew up on Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Kirby. My first systems were an SNES and Game Boy in the mid 90s so I was playing those games obviously. I tried Pokemon when it came out because of the hype and got sucked in. Ever since those five became my core Nintendo gaming series (and Mario spin-offs like Wario Land). And also Smash of course.

Ever since then... no other Nintendo IPs really come close. Banjo obviously but we know what happened there. I played Star Fox 64 like everyone else with an N64 but never got into the series past that. Never touched Animal Crossing. Tried three different Fire Emblem games and didn't like any of them very much. Pikmin 2 was pretty fun but I didn't get far into it. Played some of Golden Sun as a kid, never beat it. Played a tiny bit of Punch-Out on an emulator. Never played Chibi-Robo, Splatoon, ARMS, Xenoblade...

I loved Kid Icarus Uprising, if there was a sequel that would be a day 1 game for me. The closest a franchise came to the holy sixtiny of Mario/Zelda/DK/Kirby/Pokemon/Wario for me was the MOTHER trilogy, which I do like a fair bit, but still nowhere near as much. I also loved Super Metroid but couldn't get into Prime despite several attempts (FPS are too unwieldy for me) but I do enjoy the 2D games.

I think that's one reason Smash 4's newcomer roster didn't click with me as much, it focused a lot on games I've never played.

I had no problem getting into non-Nintendo franchises like Sonic, Mega Man, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Persona... still haven't left my Nintendo comfort zone much for some reason.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I even noticed the jiggy when it bounced past cos my stream was so shitty.

That and I pretty much knew it was GUH HUH time already so was busy blowing my kazoo to pay attention to that blink and miss it moment.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't notice the jiggy either
I also didn't put much stock in the rumours going around so my first thought seeing the DK trailer was "Dixie? Maybe that Walrus villain, that'd be pretty weird"

then the shadow on their faces spread their wings and I was
"oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit"
^is about what I typed to my friend who I was watching with. I held that i down for a long time, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.