• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
sites.google.com

Game Data Library - List of Million Sellers

[GB] Pokémon Red - 4.180.000 [GB] Pokémon Green - 4.040.000 [GB] Pokémon Blue - 2.010.000 [GB] Pokémon Silver - 3.640.000 [GB] Pokémon Gold - 3.530.000

Japan is the kind of country where Kirby Squeak Squad is the 206th highest selling game of all time.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, we know it wasn't just the slip of the tounge (or else they wouldn't have published it in the written interview). "Oh yeah" is a pretty vauge response, which is why I find it interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if more studios contact Nintendo about putting their characters in Smash than the reverse.

I'm not saying Nintendo actually adds any characters this way, mind.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Dovahkiin's Final Smash would be installing Skyrim onto the Switch.
Oh shit, Todd got us again.

sites.google.com

Game Data Library - List of Million Sellers

[GB] Pokémon Red - 4.180.000 [GB] Pokémon Green - 4.040.000 [GB] Pokémon Blue - 2.010.000 [GB] Pokémon Silver - 3.640.000 [GB] Pokémon Gold - 3.530.000

Japan is the kind of country where Kirby Squeak Squad is the 206th highest selling game of all time.
Implying that Kirby games shouldn't be best-sellers in every country.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Squeak Squad? I haven't even heard of that one before.

Mouse Attack, a game that actually exists, was a decent installment though
but Super Star Ultra is the best DS Kirby game (and Kirby game in general) by far.

Not so fast.

b3e6aabd4a07379d18480131e27d1660f08efe66.jpg

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Robobot is fantastic but Super Star Ultra wins out just for pure volume and variety of content.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I wouldn't be surprised if more studios contact Nintendo about putting their characters in Smash than the reverse.

I'm not saying Nintendo actually adds any characters this way, mind.

Well, Kojima asked for Snake and someone from Sega did ask for Sonic. Then we know for Smash 4, Ubi asked for Rayman.

I actually think Smash comes up often with third parties and they got a lot of character requests from the actual companies.

Oct 28, 2017
King Boo is going to be a newcomer is Smash before Waluigi.

There's more material to work with the main villain of the Luigi's Mansion series than Rosalina.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Kojima asked for Snake and someone from Sega did ask for Sonic. Then we know for Smash 4, Ubi asked for Rayman.

I actually think Smash comes up often with third parties and they got a lot of character requests from the actual companies.

This is really sad if true. Poor Rayman.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I always find it interesting when game journalists ask companies if they're going to get a character in Smash.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Honest question, would Vault Boy having a Nuke final smash be seen as insensitive in Japan?

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, would Vault Boy having a Nuke final smash be seen as insensitive in Japan?

iirc they did remove the questline where you can nuke a town in Fallout 3's JP version. May have removed or at least renamed the mini-nuke launcher as well. There's more than enough material to use for a final smash outside of just setting a nuke off though. Power Armor, Liberty Prime, several OP weapons, VATS... considering there's already a FS for just building someone a house, they could even be lock away other fighters in a vault.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think we've done this before but nothing saying we can't do it again:

What's your top 10 newcomer announcements? I'm starting with Brawl since that's when I started following Smash speculation:

1. King K. Rool
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Cloud
4. Mega Man
5. Diddy Kong
6. King Dedede
7. Ridley
8. Meta Knight
9. Sonic
10. Joker

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

What's your top 10 newcomer announcements? I'm starting with Brawl since that's when I started following Smash speculation:

1. King K. Rool
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Cloud
4. Mega Man
5. Diddy Kong
6. King Dedede
7. Ridley
8. Meta Knight
9. Sonic
10. Joker
1.Cloud
2. Simon/Richter
3. Robin/Lucina
4. Snake
5. Inkling (does this count?)
6. K.Rool
7. Little Mac
8. Banjo
9. Joker
10. Sonic

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

What's your top 10 favorite newcomer announcements? I'm starting with Brawl since that's when I started following Smash speculation:

1. King K. Rool
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Cloud
4. Mega Man
5. Diddy Kong
6. King Dedede
7. Ridley
8. Meta Knight
9. Sonic
10. Joker
I'll mostly go with Smash 4 and Ultimate (with only Sonic from Brawl), since the trailers have played a big part in making those reveals so hype:
  1. Banjo & Kazooie
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Sonic
  4. Ridley
  5. Joker
  6. Mega Man
  7. Bayonetta
  8. Cloud (would've been above Ridley if the announcement wasn't spoiled for me)
  9. Shulk
  10. Little Mac

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If it's only trailers my list would be...

1. King K. Rool
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Cloud
4. Mega Man
5. Everyone Is Here
6. Ridley
7. Mewtwo (SSB4)
8. Sonic
9. Joker
10. Palutena

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1. King K. Rool
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Cloud
4. Mega Man
5. Diddy Kong
6. King Dedede
7. Ridley
8. Meta Knight
9. Sonic
10. Joker

1. Cloud
2. Joker
3. Sonic
4. Palutena
5. Bayonetta
6. Lucina
7. Little Mac
8. Shulk
9. Richter
10. Mega Man

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I'd say it'd be insensitive regardless of where you are to downplay the horror of nukes. Even Fallout treats them with an actual degree of horror, with the cute animations basically being a satire of how stupid the pre-war civilization (and the real 1950's) were about their actual threat. It'd be real tone deaf to casually have them drop on Kirby.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I'd say it'd be insensitive regardless of where you are to downplay the horror of nukes. Even Fallout treats them with an actual degree of horror, with the cute animations basically being a satire of how stupid the pre-war civilization (and the real 1950's) were about their actual threat. It'd be real tone deaf to casually have them drop on Kirby.

Additionally, Ultimate is an E10-rated game - I feel like the ESRB would prooobably draw the line on weapons with the deployment of nuclear arms as a finishing move.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Might make a list later but I'd say to not overlook the Robin reveal trailer. It came at a time where Gematsu leak was gospel and it basically reinvigorated leak discussions for the end of the hype cycle for Smash 4, together with being a badass trailer in itself.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Japanese media uses mushroom clouds pretty often as a generic explosion, I don't think the association is too strong.

DBZ does it all the time:

tumblr_n7ymghBauC1rud3xqo4_540.png

DBZ228-4_0001.jpg

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1. King K. Rool
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Cloud
4. Mega Man
5. Diddy Kong
6. King Dedede
7. Ridley
8. Meta Knight
9. Sonic
10. Joker

1. Villager
2. Olimar
3. Ridley
4. Robin (I was resigned to Chrom)
5. Pac-Man
6. Pokémon Trainer
7. Sonic
8. Inkling
9. Palutena
10. Banjo Kazooie (don't have an attachment to the character but insane announcement)

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal

1. King K. Rool
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Cloud
4. Mega Man
5. Diddy Kong
6. King Dedede
7. Ridley
8. Meta Knight
9. Sonic
10. Joker

1. Villager
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Sonic
4. Ridley
5. King K. Rool
6. Palutena
7. Joker
8. Toon Link
9. Cloud
10. Simon Belmont

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably worth noting that part of nukes being censored in some Japanese versions of media is whether or not it's going off in a populated area. Final Destination or Battlefield might be considered fine but New Donk City would be a hard no.

The more I think about it after saying it on the last page the more I feel like locking characters in a vault may actually be the best possible scenario for a Vault Boy FS. Notably because it could also give the Smash version of the Vault Boy a distinct number, which would completely evade possible issues of whether to use Vault 13, 111, 101, 21, etc as the Vault Boy's number.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, that's actually a random mass of shapes and colours that is making your brain think it's seeing something you recognise due to an effect known as pareidolia.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Sorry, that's actually a random mass of shapes and colours that is making your brain think it's seeing something you recognise due to an effect known as pareidolia.

Uh, don't you see the vague round shape at the bottom and the vague jagged lines at the top??? There is clearly no way that could be anything but Rayman.

Pfft. Next you'll be telling me there isn't a man on the moon.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Smash Bros. is a mass of glowing lights that makes us believe we're seeing character hyper wrestling, except for those who see an actual pure real picture of that happening made by a particle cannon foobaring the thingasurface.

Status
Not open for further replies.