• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Well a bird isn't a weapon.
S1X80mr.gif

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, as far as the Mario platformers are concerned, I'd say Toadette's main saving grace is that she's essentially just Toad with ponytails. Considering Toads are already playable in a lot of the 2D games, that makes it easier to include her over someone like Waluigi, who has a completely differeny body structure from everyone else.
I'm not talking about being playable though?
sEEhHQq.png

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't understand, maybe I'm out of the loop. Why is an alleged discord message being taken this seriously?
The discord message described the E3 Direct in full detail, but it was probably faked after the Direct

But there's some dude PapaGeno knows who told him about a Luminary, Banjo, Undertale Character and Waluigi Smash amiibo being produced. The probably fake discord post is being attributed to that guy.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I don't understand, maybe I'm out of the loop. Why is an alleged discord message being taken this seriously?

I'm pretty skeptical considering the circumstances, but talking about a "leak" that isn't immediately provably fake is way more interesting than arguing about Resident Evil and Tekken.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
considering the release schedule of amiibo is pretty far behind at this point (chances are Joker's will launch in November at the earliest) I kinda doubt they've entered prototyping stages for Luminary onwards, outside of making sure their Smash render poses will work well enough. Those things won't all be out till this time next year.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Waluigi's popularity isn't up for debate, but that's literally all he has, and I don't think that's enough. He's not even remotely integral to the Mario series like Ridley and K. Rool are to theirs, so that comparison doesn't work for me. And it's not like Waluigi has any inherently unique or interesting abilities -- he does the same thing as everyone else in Mario Tennis, Golf, Kart, and so on, just while spinning and clapping and holding a rose. Waluigi's been an assist trophy for three games in a row for a reason. If he could work as an echo fighter then maybe he could eventually get in that way, but I just don't see him happening as a unique newcomer unless he becomes something more than multiplayer spinoff fodder.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's lots of reasons to doubt it's real. It was posted after E3, nobody can verify it, and the person it's attributed to won't talk about it.
somebody verified it! I just forget who they are 😤

I will believe. Waluigi placed only below Ridley and Rex in our own poll, and the demand is definitely there. Japanese fans loooove undertale too.

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard of choking the chicken, but this is ridiculous.

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."
What makes picks like Goku and Waluigi appealing is that they're what I want, and they piss people off.

As opposed to Steve who I'm neutral toward who would just piss people off.

A Goku announcement would be a night no one ever forgets.

But realistically, I'm doubt the last two picks will appeal that much to me personally, come on Rayman, but I did love Joker for shock value at least. Shit had me yelling "anything is possible".

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
A part of me hoped that the Banjo squad would jump on the Master Chief bandwagon now that the Microsoft cooperation doors have been flung open, but alas, most of them seem to be jumping on Crash Bandicoot's party bus to despair. One 90's platforming animal mascot is not enough for them.

I don't play Halo lol.

"I got Banjo, so I'm fine with Waluigi" is the prime definition of "Fuck you, got mine!"

I mean. Yeah? It's a mascot fighting game, am I supposed to be angry about Waluigi? Should we rise up?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Waluigi is super well known and liked. I mean just by being a staple Kart/Party/Sports character he's probably got a bigger fanbase and more recognizability than half the current roster.

I would honestly argue that - excluding the crazy cache Hero has in Japan - he's probably a "bigger deal" than anyone currently in the Fighters Pass. Like, are Banjo fans more passionate? Probably. But there's gotta be like 10x as many Waluigi fans, even if half of them are ironic.

(I always picked Waluigi because he's purple but now he's mainstream and I never get him in time.)

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
The thing is, Waluigi doesn't make sense for the fighter's pass.He doesn't have a very strong sense of identity outside of the Mario spinoffs. That would work great for the base game, but each of the people in the DLC comes with a stage and music from their game series.

He doesn't have a series to draw music from besides Mario spinoffs, so what would we get, Mario Sports/Party music? Don't we already have tracks for that?
He doesn't have a series to draw stages from besides Mario spinoffs, so I guess a MarIo Tennis stage for him?

I'm not even against him getting in, but the series in the Fighters Pass are all bringing new stages and music from series not in the game yet. This isn't about him coming as DLC in general (hell, if they WANTED, after the Fighter's Pass is done they could put him in as a little extra gag character and charge the Piranha Plant price for him, with no stage or music, but for the Fighter's Pass? Even putting aside the fact that he's already an assist trophy in the game right now, with the form the Fighters Pass is taking for each character? It smells fake.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would be okay with Waluigi being playable even though there are other characters and AT's I would much prefer to see upgraded

I would say that maybe it would be better if he was a part of the next game's base roster or a bonus Plant like DLC character but if he's a apart of the Pass I'll just shrug

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, Waluigi doesn't make sense for the fighter's pass.

He doesn't have a series to draw music from besides Mario spinoffs, so what would we get, Mario Sports/Party music? Don't we already have tracks for that?
He doesn't have a series to draw stages from besides Mario spinoffs, so I guess a MarIo Tennis stage for him?

I'm not even against him getting in, but even putting aside the fact that he's already an assist trophy in the game right now, with the form the Fighters pass is taking for each character? It smells fake.
Waluigi remixes of popular Mario songs

waluigi pinball stage

Oct 25, 2017
Waluigi is super well known and liked. I mean just by being a staple Kart/Party/Sports character he's probably got a bigger fanbase and more recognizability than half the current roster.

I would honestly argue that - excluding the crazy cache Hero has in Japan - he's probably a "bigger deal" than anyone currently in the Fighters Pass. Like, are Banjo fans more passionate? Probably. But there's gotta be like 10x as many Waluigi fans, even if half of them are ironic.

(I always picked Waluigi because he's purple but now he's mainstream and I never get him in time.)
Yeah, it's annoying when people write off something they don't like as a meme despite almost two decades of fame.

You don't have to like him, but don't lie.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, Waluigi doesn't make sense for the fighter's pass.

I'm not even against him getting in, but even putting aside the fact that he's already an assist trophy in the game right now, with the form the Fighters pass is taking for each character? It smells fake.

while I don't believe in the leak at all, it could be possible that they'll tie his DLC into a brand-new Waluigi focused game as cross promotion, announced during the same Direct

which would almost make it worth it

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

🤔 Seems I don't get alerts from getting @
Only get from quotes maybe I need to check my settings.
How long do I have to wear this for? At least it's not a disgusting Steve avatar
I'm just gonna point out once again that despite being introduced a few years before Toadette, Waluigi has yet to appear in a mainline Mario game while the former has.

Outside a cameo from the Amiibo feature in Gold he also hasn't appeared in either Warrior related series.

But no he totally gets to share a DLC pass alongside Banjo and Dragon Quest.

Exactly, he couldn't even get into the Mario Warriors game and they put every side character they can in those things.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck is Waluigi still relevant in smash bros speculation? This can't be happening up until fall where we find out details on the next fighter, right?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm not saying this to RISE UP. I'm just pointing out it's just a lame move.

It'd just be one of those absurd near-dadaist moments in Smash speculation history that I would just laugh.

I want characters besides Waluigi but if it happens... oh man!

For what it's worth I think it's fake.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Ok can y'all just talk about waluigi for the next month straight and get it out of your systems. That way I don't have to hear about it all the way until February 2020?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
SmashERA: Sakurai please save us from Erdrick and Microsoft talk

*next rumored characters are Frisk and Waluigi*

fuck-go-back-%F0%9F%8C%9A%F0%9F%8C%9A%F0%9F%8C%9A-7447284.png

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017

You could say the same thing about literally dozens of Pokémon, but that doesn't mean they need to be playable in Smash Bros.

I personally think main characters from unrepresented games/franchises should take precedence over tertiary characters from series that already have 10 characters, regardless of how well-known they are.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Granted, there have been ATs who became playable, i.e. Little Mac, Isabelle, etc. DLC is an opportunity for new characters that are beyond the original scope of the game. If Sakurai wants to promote an AT within the same generation of Smash Bros, there's no precedent for it, but that doesn't mean he can't do it.
the smash fanbase seems to forget this key tenet a lot even though it's been proven time and time again

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
A part of me hoped that the Banjo squad would jump on the Master Chief bandwagon now that the Microsoft cooperation doors have been flung open, but alas, most of them seem to be jumping on Crash Bandicoot's party bus to despair. One 90's platforming animal mascot is not enough for them.
I was on the Chief train from day one, but I don't see there being two Microsoft characters in the pass. He's the only thing that could get me more hype than Banjo.

Also, people getting mad at those happy with the pass thus far is hilarious. Just because someone got something they love, like Banjo, doesn't meant they need to turn around and push some garbage like kos-mos. I will ride the Waluigi train into hell first.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also what spirit battles would he come with?

We got Mario spirits out the ass already.

Yeah, it's annoying when people write off something they don't like as a meme despite almost two decades of fame.

You don't have to like him, but don't lie.
He's popular because of meme's. You seriously can not pretend otherwise.

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
Or let people talk about who they want? I'd rather talk about Crash but I'm not going to tell others to stop for my sake.

I don't really have anything to say about it at the moment, though. Um... hoping for his inclusion, as usual.

Anyway, funny how this definitely-not-fake discord message has two very controversial character choices to cap off the fighters pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.