• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jill was the original face of RE before Chris took over. And in regards to the Smash community, I've seen much more demand for Jill and Leon than Chris.
OK?

What makes you think they care?

Again who's the first one to show up in crossovers now?

Believe me I want Jill. She'd be the only remotely positive thing about getting a Resident Evil character.

But I see no reason to bother getting my hopes up.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Before Ultimate was announced I never thought I would get a Smash game with K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo-Kazooie, and Snake back.

Don't let your dreams be dreams.
I've already made out like a bandit. Ridley, K. Rool, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, and Simon are all dream picks of mine (so is Inkling, but they were obvious), and Piranha Plant is a character I didn't know I wanted but immediately fell in love with. Incineroar is my favorite Sun/Moon Pokémon (I'm a big wrestling fan), but I felt so certain that we'd get Decidueye or Mimikyu that I didn't even bother mentioning them.

If we get Heihachi or a Resident Evil character then Sakurai has officially hacked into my mind.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Cloud first appeared on a Nintendo console with the GBA Kingdom Hearts game.
Cloud was in Theatrhythm and Final Fantasy Explorers.
Oh, right. Thanks.

Still, these seem a little flimsy to be supports for a "must have appeared on a Nintendo console" rule. Like, if Diablo III Switch had included a Tracer cameo, would she all of a sudden be a candidate? I think the only thing we've learned about Smash character-candidacy rules is that there are no rules, beyond being an appealing character.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
not that I buy a rumor from a random GameFAQS user (even though Cloud was leaked there... granded, few minutes before his reveal), but I'd take Lloyd, yet another JRPG character with a sword, if that means Crash in the roster.

Banjo and Crash in the same DLC pack is just terrificly good.. even too good to be true

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Just for the heck of it, how do we feel about this?

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77785120

Apparently some gamefaqs user called the order of the DLC about 5 months ago, as well as correctly guessed a few other details about post-release content. He says the last two characters could be Lloyd Irving and Crash.

I'm entertaining any possibility of Crash.
I like both Crash and Lloyd, but it feels weird to go for the latter instead of Yuri, especially now that Vesperia is on Switch

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
For the consideration of SmashEra's speculation. Something is still on the horizon for the Switch that was not announced at E3 that will be akin to "Mario on Playstation".

Ori's been rumored for awhile, too.

Not one of those crazy people thinking we're gonna get BOTW on Xbone or anything like that, but I'm fairly certain we'll continue to see more Nintendo/MS stuff in the future. I think the Switch makes a good opportunity for Microsoft to leverage some of its smaller, non super AAA IPs like Cuphead (technically not MS but...), Ori, and of course, Rare's stuff.

Though I do think Zell seems to be implying that some kind of Halo game's coming too. Obviously not Halo Infinite, but I think something like Halo CE: Anniversary by itself would be huge and also doable.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
You know what's interesting to me is that Joker was someone Sakurai liked and wanted. Dragon Quest seems like something highly requested in Japan and B&K were highly requested too.

So if we continue that thought- who would Reggie and Miyamoto have wanted?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You know what's interesting to me is that Joker was someone Sakurai liked and wanted. Dragon Quest seems like something highly requested in Japan and B&K were highly requested too.

Miyamoto wanted Pac-Man in Brawl.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Had Cloud appeared on a Nintendo system by the time his character was released? I don't think he had, had he?

Nintendo and Blizzard seem to have a pretty good relationship, with Diablo including Zelda items and Nintendo producing a Diablo-themed hardware bundle. It would not surprise me at all if Nintendo both knew that Overwatch for Switch was in the works and was working to include Tracer in Smash.
Yes he did. Cloud has had various appearances on Nintendo systems dating back to the Game Boy Advance. Also, while a Switch port of Overwatch could happen, I feel like it would have been announced at BlizzCon 2018 if it was ever gonna happen. Now it just feels too late. That plus, going off of OG PS4 performance, characters like Hammond & Moira may cause issues for the Switch in terms of maintaining 60fps.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017

Miyamoto would want Paper Mario with a moveset that makes no reference at all to games or characters outside of Sticker Star and Color Splash.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Reggie would want Mother 3, just completely unplayable

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
When does Jill show up without Chris anymore?

Seriously every single crossover and appearance since RE5 has been Chris and Jill or just Chris.

Now tell me, why would that pattern change for Smash besides desperate hope?
You don't understand how this works. My personal preferences determine logic.

Honestly though, I'm not even arguing who has a better chance based on whatever factors. That doesn't really interest me. I just think Jill and the way she was portrayed in MvC2 is a lot more interesting than anything that's been done with Chris in the Versus games. I'd also much rather have a female gaming icon get in over another guy.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because I'm a whore for RE4, Leon would be my top pick for a Resident Evil rep (though Jill is just a hair behind; Chris doesn't do much for me).

I'd really love to see Viewtiful Joe make a comeback--not just as a fighter in Smash, but in general. Such a freaking great game (maybe the last amazing beatemup I played).

But if I could choose any one character right now, I'd probably piss off ~half the fanbase and opt for some Sakurai bias with Hades. His portrayal in KI: Uprising is too good for one game...

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
It warmed my heart seeing Nintendo recognizing Crash like that ~

Crash_NSane_Trilogy.png

and they had quite a coverage in Japan too when it was about to release there, with the Neko Mario Show and what-not. Is just being greedy at this point, but that would be the cherry on top.. Sakurai wouldn't need to make another game ever again :p

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

"I put Zero Suit Samus in thinking I wanted to include more characters from the popular Metroid series. Also, since Smash Bros. has few female characters, I was quite happy to include her."

While Sakurai doesn't pick characters purely for their gender, the fact that he points out that during the Brawl era, Smash had few female characters, makes me hopeful he would recognize putting Jill in over Chris would be the smart man's play, if we're seriously looking only at Japanese gaming franchises and western ones popular in Japan for this Fighters Pass.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight, it's pretty sad that "Samus in her undies" was the best they could come up with for "more characters from the popular Metroid series" at the time.

I don't really want anyone cut, but if ZSS isn't in the next game, I can't really say I'd miss her, especially now that we have Ridley and Dark Samus.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did the patch with the Link's Awakening spirits hit yet?

Don't think my Smash updated yet, but idk.

In hindsight, it's pretty sad that "Samus in her undies" was the best they could come up with for "more characters from the popular Metroid series" at the time.

I don't really want anyone cut, but if ZSS isn't in the next game, I can't really say I'd miss her, especially now that we have Ridley and Dark Samus.

While I get the sentiment, personally, I would be sad. I do like Zero Suit Samus, and I think her plasma whip combined with the acrobatics adds something to the game that other characters couldn't, really. So, I definitely would mind her moveset being gone.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Yes he did. Cloud has had various appearances on Nintendo systems dating back to the Game Boy Advance. Also, while a Switch port of Overwatch could happen, I feel like it would have been announced at BlizzCon 2018 if it was ever gonna happen. Now it just feels too late.

I dunno. Blizzcon was still before the release of Diablo III Switch; I could see them wanting to keep their Switch messaging on that.

We can debate about Overwatch's star having fallen over the last year but the point is that it's very much in Blizzard's interest not to have that continue to happen; a Switch port might be a good way to revive interest. I also think that Overwatch seems like a perfect fit for Nintendo's audience and community.

It apparently wasn't too late for The Witcher 3 and even Resident Evil 5 & 6 to get huge pushes in Nintendo's E3 direct. I think Nintendo is overjoyed to get any of those big games.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I dunno. Blizzcon was still before the release of Diablo III Switch; I could see them wanting to keep their Switch messaging on that.

We can debate about Overwatch's star having fallen over the last year but the point is that it's very much in Blizzard's interest not to have that continue to happen; a Switch port might be a good way to revive interest. I also think that Overwatch seems like a perfect fit for Nintendo's audience and community.

It apparently wasn't too late for The Witcher 3 and even Resident Evil 5 & 6 to get huge pushes in Nintendo's E3 direct. I think Nintendo is overjoyed to get any of those big games.
I'm not saying that Overwatch is dead, far from it. I'm just saying that the window of opportunity likely already passed.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking back at the old Smash Community thread for fun.

I see that I remember thinking that "Smash Switch" would be released right alongside the Nintendo Online thing in September. A little off there.

Also I see discussion about the then recent news about Banjo/Halo/Gears skins heading to Minecraft on Switch.

You're reading too much into that.

I mean, you're talking about a Microsoft character here.

ha

We had no idea what was coming...

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
True. But considering that Smash Ultimate's female fighter percentage is only a bit higher than MvCI's, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai at least considers it (independent of Capcom).

The unfortunate reality we seem to be facing is that Sakurai doesn't care about emphasizing female representation beyond what the industry itself emphasizes. He just goes with the choices that he feels represents the franchises best, even if it means focusing primarily on men. We saw it before with Smash continuing to default Corrin as male (despite female Corrin's overwhelming popularity) and we've seen it again with The Hero having no female alts.

At this rate, there actually is a good chance we get Jill as a Resident Evil rep, but primarily because she'd be serving as marketing for RE3 Remake, not because of a desire to tone down the sausage fest.

(It's situations like this that I really appreciate Capcom's history of actively promoting female characters as representatives for their franchises. It's most definitely not for the purest of reasons - I'm pretty damn sure they just want more options to throw fanservice at their male teen fanbase - but I can't exactly argue with results.)

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Crash would be really cool to have.

One that i doubt would happen but would be really cool is Scorpion from MK and then you can give him alt colors so that player 1-8 could all be the different MK ninjas in spirit like Sub zero, Noob etc.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I see that I remember thinking that "Smash Switch" would be released right alongside the Nintendo Online thing in September. A little off there.

Also I see discussion about the then recent news about Banjo/Halo/Gears skins heading to Minecraft on Switch.

ha

People on this website weren't ready to accept K. Rool was coming, forget Banjo-Kazooie.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

While Sakurai doesn't pick characters purely for their gender, the fact that he points out that during the Brawl era, Smash had few female characters, makes me hopeful he would recognize putting Jill in over Chris would be the smart man's play, if we're seriously looking only at Japanese gaming franchises and western ones popular in Japan for this Fighters Pass.
We thought Dragon Quest would have a female alt too.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I would give literally anything for them to announce a remaster or remake of Golden Sun 1 and 2 to justify my Golden Sun rep. I imagine Geno might be last for maximum hype.

Seems they're doing all crossovers now so it'll have to have a game to reference. I still dare to dream

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH

ha

Crazy how right I was about everything.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, Tansut implies that is probably more on Square-Enix's end than Sakurai's.
And why would Capcom promote Jill over Chris when she hasn't had top billing since MvC2?

Please don't think this means I want Chris. I don't want any RE character but at least Jill would give us another female fighter.

But I just don't see that happening and I don't feel like being optimistic in this regard.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
uVv8Q2v.jpg

I like the idea of this image, but shouldn't Villager already be aware of who Banjo is? Animal Forest did come out on N64 after all.

Should of been Isabelle there instead

Status
Not open for further replies.