• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
In my fake stage select i actually had Yggdrasil as the Dragon Quest stage (though I pinched the graphics from a DQIX screenshot).

Kind of chuffed I got that guess right.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm locked in for a DQ Hero-style Resident Evil character.

The proportional differences between Chris/Leon and Jill/Claire are nearly the same as those between the female and male Wii Fit Trainers. It could absolutely work.

sctYlHW.png
Things like taunts and victory animations would have to be pretty generic to cover all the characters, but I'd be on board. Just make Jill the face.
What would their collective character name be? "The Zombie Killer"?

Also, did someone say Yggdrasil?

T0TWaBX.gif

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
If that info about alts was true at one point and not a mistake, that would mean two of the DLC characters got their female alts cut, or they'll turn up eventually and only started as alts during development. We'll just have to wait and see, but I'm hopeful it's not the former.

I'm keeping up hope for that too. If not that'll be my first hope for Smash 6.

Thanks for all you've done Tansut

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This is such a great video:

We talk about "Dragon Quest for Japan, Banjo for the west," but really Japan walked away with two dream characters added.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I hope there's some interesting datamines with Hero otherwise conversations here are gonna be such a slog for me.

There's only so many ways for me to say "I really hope it's not Tekken or Resident Evil."

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If that info about alts was true at one point and not a mistake, that would mean two of the DLC characters got their female alts cut, or they'll turn up eventually and only started as alts during development. We'll just have to wait and see, but I'm hopeful it's not the former.
This is what I'm hoping for. Some real opportunities missed by their exclusion.

Also, since they supposedly have DQ symphonic tracks, I'm hoping for this one:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You know, I made an out-there theory a few months ago, but looking at the current amiibo line-up, maybe i'm right?

Essentially, I said (as a joke) that each character will release a week or two away from an amiibo wave. So far we've seen:
  • Piranha Plant: January 29th, 2019 release; amiibo wave two weeks latter on February 15th, 2019
  • Joker: April 17th, 2019 release; amiibo wave less than a week before on April 12th, 2019
And now, we have the next three amiibo waves dated, which coicidentially match up with the months I was predicting for the next three characters:
  • Wave 4: July 19th, 2019
  • Wave 5: September 20th, 2019
  • Wave 6: November 2019
So, I think we'll see characters within two weeks of these dates.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I felt it was close to 50/50 before. However, if Tansut's source had reason to believe the female heroes were a thing, and it wasn't someone's error, I'd become confidant they're still under wraps. Like 90% sure.
The other explanation I can think of is that Male & Female Erdrick was the original plan, but then they went further with the other DQ heroes (at the cost of Female Erdrick).

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

If this is true and alt costumes were cut for the DLC characters, it could point to potential focus on seperate alt costume DLC in the future. People have been asking for non-Mii costume DLC since Smash 4 announced DLC was going to be a thing and I can definitely see this finally being the time that they do it.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even more appropriate since 3's localized subtitle is the Seeds of Salvation lol

He's one of my favorites. I think anyone who goes through the journey of DQ11 would come to love him and his friends.

Yeah, his story on DQ11 and background is probably the best around the protagonists of the franchise to me. I really cared for him.

Also, a bit of a shame that his abilities aren't on Smash. If he was a solo character, the abilities would be very OP with what he gets on the game as the Luminary. But it's a fair thing to put more generic spells to represent more characters on the franchise so I'm happy with it either way.

lol he has nothing similar to Trunks aside from having a Sword. His hair isn't on the same way and color, it's more similar to 17.. which even so, the face couldn't be more different in the eyes, nose and such. haha

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You know, I made an out-there theory a few months ago, but looking at the current amiibo line-up, maybe i'm right?

Essentially, I said (as a joke) that each character will release a week or two away from an amiibo wave. So far we've seen:
  • Piranha Plant: January 29th, 2019 release; amiibo wave two weeks latter on February 15th, 2019
  • Joker: April 17th, 2019 release; amiibo wave less than a week before on April 12th, 2019
And now, we have the next three amiibo waves dated, which coicidentially match up with the months I was predicting for the next three characters:
That's......actually a good point.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018

July would fit in with the Summer date Hero has, too.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I think if Hero was coming in July they would have said July and not summer, so to go with this theory, Hero will probably be in the first week of August (Banjo the first week of October as well).

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Fuck RE or Tekken, Crash is necessary at this point.

Working with MS shows they clearly don't mind working with new 3rd parties for DLC

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
The other explanation I can think of is that Male & Female Erdrick was the original plan, but then they went further with the other DQ heroes (at the cost of Female Erdrick).
The CG trailers take a long time to produce, so I'm sure Sakurai had the generational hero idea locked down early on. The gender misunderstanding was probably just the result of a game of telephone -- someone heard that the character had alts, and then someone misconstrued that to mean gender options, and so on.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Square-Enix was the only new third party added to Smash 4 DLC, so that is sort of my expectation here with Microsoft, but I hope I'm wrong because Crash is probably my most wanted remaining character that is viable* for Ultimate DLC.

*Being the protagonist of an unrepresented third party franchise.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I think if Hero was coming in July they would have said July and not summer, so to go with this theory, Hero will probably be in the first week of August (Banjo the first week of October as well).
I mean, there's always a possibility that they just didn't date Hero now for... not really any reason (maybe Sakurai only likes to do that when they've fully showcased a fighter?). They already have a Hero page up on the site (and not Banjo) so I think they're pretty close already, and it wouldn't even be the first time a DLC character was revealed without a date and released a month later (Cloud).

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Hero and Banjo to release pretty close to each other since they were being worked on at the same time.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Square-Enix was the only new third party added to Smash 4 DLC, so that is sort of my expectation here with Microsoft, but I hope I'm wrong because Crash is probably my most wanted character that is viable* for Ultimate DLC.

*Being the protagonist of an unrepresented third party franchise.
I'm the same, except for doomguy. Doom is basically the fps version of DQ.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
They probably didn't say July because the E3 Direct was prepared a while ago and they weren't quite sure when exactly he'd be done

He seems very far along, and they can't push the fighters out too far between each other, or they'll run into issues hitting February 2020.

For all we know, he could release the last week of June. Or July. Or August. "Summer" doesn't really tell us anything other than he'll be out before September.

MonkeyDLenny

Apr 15, 2019
I expect Hero and Banjo to release pretty close to each other since they were being worked on at the same time.

Here's how I see it playing out personally:

Mid-July we get an infodump video just like we got for Joker and Hero releases shortly afterwards

In September we get a Nintendo Direct that ends with a breakdown of Banjo, a release date later in the month, and possibly the next DLC reveal

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
They probably didn't say July because the E3 Direct was prepared a while ago and they weren't quite sure when exactly he'd be done

He seems very far along, and they can't push the fighters out too far between each other, or they'll run into issues hitting February 2020.

I could see August for Hero, October for Banjo, December for 4, and February for 5. But obviously I hope it's sooner.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Here's how I see it playing out personally:

Mid-July we get an infodump video just like we got for Joker and Hero releases shortly afterwards

In September we get a Nintendo Direct that ends with a breakdown of Banjo, a release date later in the month, and possibly the next DLC reveal

Why wouldn't Banjo get his own breakdown video too?

(Although I could see Character 4 being part of a General Fall Direct.)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That would be some weird spacing. We'd have 4 months between Joker and Hero, but 1.5 months between Hero and Banjo. Putting hero earlier evens the spacing out more.

If they're both in the first week of August and October, that's 2 months, not 1.5.

Keep in mind after Ryu/Roy/Lucas it took six months to get another character, so who knows how the schedule will pan out.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I think July is the best bet for Hero. August just seems way too late for the second of five characters.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
If they're both in the first week of August and October, that's 2 months, not 1.5.

Keep in mind after Ryu/Roy/Lucas it took six months to get another character, so who knows how the schedule will pan out.
Smash 4 had to space their characters out into larger updates because the 3DS couldn't be patched that often. We'd probably would have saw Lucas, Ryu and Roy spread out more through the summer if it were possible.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The gap between Piranha Plant and Joker was under three months; I can't see the gap between characters being much larger than that one to be honest (which is why i'm thinking early-mid July and late September for Hero and Banjo). They're definitely attempting to space out the releases more this time.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
The CG trailers take a long time to produce, so I'm sure Sakurai had the generational hero idea locked down early on. The gender misunderstanding was probably just the result of a game of telephone -- someone heard that the character had alts, and then someone misconstrued that to mean gender options, and so on.
Yeah that is pretty much how this stuff always goes. I used to have sources in Capcom and Sega and I would hear the wildest stuff only for the thing to be revealed and it was much more down to earth. The Mega Man anniversary collection for example was described to me as being full HD remakes of all the games lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.