• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
If they do DLC Echo Fighters, i'm all on-board for Heroine, I just wonder who they would use though.

Erdrick and Sofia are obvious replacements for Erdrick and Solo, but... who else would they choose? It would be weird having the IX and X female heroes without their male counterparts, and there are no exclusively female heroes in the mainline games.

Brought this up before the website update, but I figured, Sofia (IV), Female Erdrick (III), Ann Lucia (X), and Female Celestrian (IX) would work as the other 4 alts.

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
This is a pretty distinct design if you ask me.

Yeah if we get Jill, this is my favorite design.

Hopefully it would be a little less realistic and more simple and stylized version of this:

Jill180609e.jpg

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
This has probably been discussed in the zillion pages since the Direct, but where do we stand with leaks now?
Obviously Vergeben and friends don't know any, but are any of the many, many 4chan ones still standing after this?

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
With how closely they've seemingly worked with Rare and even have Grant Kirkhope arranging a song for the game I hope we can forever drop the idea that working with Western third parties is just too much work and won't ever happen.

I don't think there was any tangible thing that stopped western reps from being included. It was directed more towards people who anticipated multiple western reps wily-nilly during this dlc cycle, seeing that there were additional hurdles to them being included (language barriers, preference for Japanese IPs). Heck, you can even see it in Sakurai's recent twitter post where he wasn't sure if he could communicate his direction to Kirkhope.

The people who make those arguments don't know what they're talking about. The very first guest character, Snake, doesn't have a deep and important history with Nintendo, so that "rule" was garbage the minute third-parties were introduced. Bayonetta, who preceded Joker, doesn't have a deep and important history to video games. And that's a really... strange interpretation of flavor of the month, by the way. These past three years have been one hell of a month.

Speaking for myself, there are no "rules." It's just that Smash is a Japanese game made by Japanese people for a Japanese publisher from a Japanese perspective, and that's going to inherently color the roster choices.
Yea, I think people miss the point where they wonder why it's always so japan-centric. Similar to the sword user complaints.

This has probably been discussed in the zillion pages since the Direct, but where do we stand with leaks now?
Obviously Vergeben and friends don't know any, but are any of the many, many 4chan ones still standing after this?
None as of now. Back to speculating again!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

There are no credible 4chan leaks remaining, besides one that threw out a "Square rep" along with Joker, Banjo, Edelgard, and Sylux, the latter two I would bet a shoe on not being on the Fighters Pass.

Dragon Quest is in, Banjo is in, we can finally talk freely... by which I mean we're gonna be talking mostly about Resident Evil.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I guess the follow-up question would be: what about the Final Smash? Would they keep the male heroes or make it unique?
Yeah, it's hard to say, I don't think it would look TOO weird since they're still heroes, but I fear they might not find it worth it. I'm just thinking of the whole Jane thing and something they could throw in when they announce more stuff on FP2.

Funny related note. Monster Battle Road Victory, you know the Wii game with the cool intro and special attacks? They actually added DLC and added a special female hero version of the DQIV party attack.

It was the same as this but Sofia swapped in

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I guess the follow-up question would be: what about the Final Smash? Would they keep the male heroes or make it unique?
Conveniently, it can stay the same and wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

Or if they're willing to put in that extra effort for an echo, it's possible do something with a selection of non-Hero party members or a monster.

SpectreJordan

Oct 26, 2017
Since we were talking about "wishlists tiers", this is who I want still. This is just for the future of Smash in general since there's several characters who are out of the running for Ultimate.

S+: Master Chief

S: Sora, 2B, Frisk/Sans, Jill/Leon, DoomGuy, Crash, Dante, Waluigi

A: Phoenix Wright, Tracer, Shovel Knight, Minecraft Steve, Ratchet & Clank, Impa, Skull Kid, Dixie Kong, Spring Man/Ribbon Girl

B: Sub-Zero, Lara Croft, Joanna Dark, Spyro, Captain Toad

Banjo was in S+ Tier, I'm so happy to see him here. :')

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sylux is not happening. They basically would have to be based on Metroid Prime 4 and Metroid Prime 4 was a complete clusterfuck at the time the DLC characters were being chosen.

And Edelgard isn't happening because she doesn't use a sword and we will never get a Fire Emblem character who doesn't use a sword.

Edelgard is one of the students and uses an axe.

Byleth is the teacher.

latest

Oh ok cool Woman ax user I'd be down for that actually.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Man I'm so excited about this DLC but knowing these characters are still months away from being playable is agonizing. I'm guessing each character will get their own individual showcase posted to Twitter like Joker did, right before they release. Maybe 4.0 will have Home Run Contest, Square-Enix costumes, and other goodies.

Hero: August release
Banjo-Kazooie: October release
Fighter 4: September Direct reveal, December release
Fighter 5: VGA December reveal, February release

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, is DQ4 among the more popular games in the series? I'm only familiar with DQ8 in terms of playing it, DQ11 in terms of recent marketing, and DQ3 in terms of Smash speculation, but I know nothing of DQ4, so it was kinda weird to me they would choose DQ4's hero over, say, DQ1's. However, I don't know the series, so pardon my ignorance. I've noticed that DQ3 and DQ4 are the only mainline games with a female hero who's not customizable. Could that have something to do with it? I see some folks in here speculating over The Heroine as an echo fighter, though I'm not sure how they would balance the alts.

So now i will have to spend the next few months hoping that Ryu Hayabusa makes it in as DLC:

1560328031665.png
Whoever made this was either really optimistic in how many fighters Ultimate was gonna get or really pessimistic in how long into the series it would take to get Hayabusa.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Irrelevant:

Do you know who would make for good SSBU DLC? Cayde-6 from the Destiny games, of course! (Picture shows Cayde-6 with number 36399)

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Out of curiosity, is DQ4 among the more popular games in the series? I'm only familiar with DQ8 in terms of playing it, DQ11 in terms of recent marketing, and DQ3 in terms of Smash speculation, but I know nothing of DQ4, so it was kinda weird to me they would choose DQ4's hero over, say, DQ1's. However, I don't know the series, so pardon my ignorance. I've noticed that DQ3 and DQ4 are the only mainline games with a female hero who's not customizable. Could that have something to do with it? I see some folks in here speculating over The Heroine as an echo fighter, though I'm not sure how they would balance the alts.
I'm also curious about this, if he's more popular than DQ1 hero or not. May be seen as another potential point towards Heroine, if it was to avoid having Solo in the FS.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Sorry if it's been asked but do we have any idea when the DQ characters are out?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
As I rewatch the Hero reveal trying to figure out how the menu attacks work, I can't help but agree that the DQ music is GORGEOUS. But are these original arrangements made for Smash, or are they lifted from somewhere? If they're out there somewhere, in full, I'd appreciate links to them. The second one is especially beautiful. They sound like they could be the anthems of a proud nation. (Not knowing anything about DQ other than the art is by the Dragon Ball guy, maybe they -are- the anthems of the in-game nation?)
The first song is the Main Theme of Dragon Quest

The second is the overworld of III, aka "Adventure"

Both songs were ripped from the orchestrated version of the soundtrack of XI

MrTommo2304

Apr 4, 2019
Banjo was definitely a top tier get, unbelievable. Banjo and K. Rool added in the same game! I feel very confident now though that one of the remaining fighters will be Crash. He fits too well.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Conveniently, it can stay the same and wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

Or if they're willing to put in that extra effort for an echo, it's possible do something with a selection of non-Hero party members or a monster.

If they managed to do an "all female DQ party member" type team up attack that would be great. Jessica, Jade, Bianca, Alena... uhh... others...

Absolute pipe dream at this point but man that would be the best surprise.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Grant got Mayahem Temple and Gobi's Valley confused, which is why it appears in the Spiral Mountain remix, alongside Kazooie levels

lol he thought he was remixing Gobi's Valley. It's supposed to be a medley of Kazooie themes, but Mayahem Temple snuck in there.

Just a fun little footnote of history, I guess.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's what happens when it takes 20 years for them to join Smash, it's a sign they should have been included years ago

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

In an old Nintendo Dream (from 2002) Sakurai confirmed that Banjo and Kazooie were planned to be a trophy in Melee. However, since Rare is a company in England it became difficult for them to approve the trophies and still have Melee on schedule. Joanna Dark was also mentioned.

Sounds like Banjo wouldn't have been in Melee even if the buyout hadn't happened. (Probably would have been in Brawl, though.)

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Since we were talking about "wishlists tiers", this is who I want still. This is just for the future of Smash in general since there's several characters who are out of the running for Ultimate.

S+: Master Chief

S: Sora, 2B, Frisk/Sans, Jill/Leon, DoomGuy, Crash, Dante, Waluigi

A: Phoenix Wright, Tracer, Shovel Knight, Minecraft Steve, Ratchet & Clank, Impa, Skull Kid, Dixie Kong, Spring Man/Ribbon Girl

B: Sub-Zero, Lara Croft, Joanna Dark, Spyro, Captain Toad

Banjo was in S+ Tier, I'm so happy to see him here. :')

Considering the gap between Ultimate and the next Smash is very likely going to be the largest gap in franchise history, I think there's a good chance they'll continue DLC for Ultimate for a good while. Fighting games always have much longer shelf lives than most other franchises when it comes to DLC and this is the first Smash with DLC on a console that isn't dying.

I wouldn't count anyone on your wishlist out just yet unless they're an assist trophy.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Watching Papa Geno's reaction to Banjo, he almost seemed relieved that all his rumor reporting hadn't been for nothing

I wonder what other secrets Mr VR Fire Plant knows

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What Dragon Quest spirits can we expect? Party members from XI? Party members from VIII? IV? Heroes in the Final Smash? Some monsters like Slime? Other monsters?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
What Dragon Quest spirits can we expect? Party members from XI? Party members from VIII? IV? Heroes in the Final Smash? Some monsters like Slime? Other monsters?
I think XI Party Members, some monsters (from XI) and fighting spirits for the 4 heroes.

I think all content, except the 3 hero alts, will be from XI. XI has classic remixes and classic enemies, though, so it won't be as noticeable as Cloud only having FFVII stuff.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Assuming The Hero is coming sometime in July or early August, it would make sense for Sakurai to do a mini-Smash direct sometime in the next month detailing them and any new features coming, right?

For instance, maybe I'm just dumb, but can we tell from the trailer whether Slime will be an assist trophy or just part of The Hero's taunt?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming The Hero is coming sometime in July or early August, it would make sense for Sakurai to do a mini-Smash direct sometime in the next month detailing them and any new features coming, right?

They're most likely just put out a New Content Approaching video out of the blue just as they did with Joker a few days before release.

For instance, maybe I'm just dumb, but can we tell from the trailer whether Slime will be an assist trophy or just part of The Hero's taunt?

Pretty sure it's just a taunt. Assist trophies are a base roster kind of deal.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Seems like only extremely big characters (to an extent) can get in.
Joker is the least big but still comes from the most sucessful episode of a growing franchise.

I really would have prefered a SMT5 characters like as a 5th choice next year with SMT5 shown and all...

But DQ hero is really such a cool announce. They look awesome. So happy to see that instead of crap Goku.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Slime is definitely a taunt. Look at Slime during its appearance alongside the Hero of IV.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Slime is a taunt, like Morgana. We see Hero doing a little dance around a Slime on Palutena's Temple. The part where Slime is alone is just dev tools stuff, like the part of Joker's trailer when Morgana was alone

I think we'll get a shadow drop direct in July with a release a few days later, like Joker got.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Anyone else thinking we may get a single player expansion with the Hero? The reveal trailer is heavy on referencing it.It even starts with the dark boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.