• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nintendo Direct E3 2021 is drawing near; what Smash news are we expecting?

• Challenger Pack 10

Votes: 143 46.6%
  • Challenger Pack 10 + Challenger Pack 11

Votes: 104 33.9%
  • Challenger Pack 10 + Volume 3 announcement

Votes: 30 9.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • None of the above; the wait continues...

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Would I be correct in my understanding that Skyrim's what made Elder Scrolls mainstream? There's nothing saying the Dovahkin wouldn't still be the TES pick even if it's for a future game

We were talking "big time picks" what about "big time individual games?" Because Skyrim would be up there
Absolutely, yeah; --it became a huge influence for Open World games as well.

Before that, Elder Scrolls games were for DnD nerds! :p

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would I be correct in my understanding that Skyrim's what made Elder Scrolls mainstream? There's nothing saying the Dovahkin wouldn't still be the TES pick even if it's for a future game

We were talking "big time picks" what about "big time individual games?" Because Skyrim would be up there

TES has been on an upward trajectory that peaked with Skyrim. Morrowind made the series relevant and was a huge success, partially thanks to being one of the relative handful of good games on the original Xbox. Morrowind was so important to Xbox's success that Bethesda had the clout to demand higher specs for the 360 so that they could do more with Oblivion. Then Skyrim happened, big sensation, and we're currently still at that peak until TES6 happens.

To put it kind of simply, it's basically the same thing that happened with Persona. 1 and 2 are regarded well by hardcore fans, 2 in particular, but 3 shook things up and progressively elevated the series into stardom. The big thing that makes me wonder if they'd just do a general TES character over just Dovahkiin or just a TES6 guy though is that every protagonist basically has the same skill set. IIRC, even the Nerevarine was cited as a Dragonborn even though there are no shouts in Morrowind.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021

TES has been on an upward trajectory that peaked with Skyrim. Morrowind made the series relevant and was a huge success, partially thanks to being one of the relative handful of good games on the original Xbox. Morrowind was so important to Xbox's success that Bethesda had the clout to demand higher specs for the 360 so that they could do more with Oblivion. Then Skyrim happened, big sensation, and we're currently still at that peak until TES6 happens.

To put it kind of simply, it's basically the same thing that happened with Persona. 1 and 2 are regarded well by hardcore fans, 2 in particular, but 3 shook things up and progressively elevated the series into stardom. The big thing that makes me wonder if they'd just do a general TES character over just Dovahkiin or just a TES6 guy though is that every protagonist basically has the same skill set. IIRC, even the Nerevarine was cited as a Dragonborn even though there are no shouts in Morrowind.
You thought I wouldn't notice this.

you found a box of SmashERA?
I thought we were more like a bag of Sour Patch Kids.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I am grown ass man eating a 142 g box of Rainbow Nerds.

These ones ?

505822.jpg

I used to eat these before bed ....not the best idea but damn they're good

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think it has to be any more complex than "lowering the skill floor is good" and "raising the skill ceiling is good". Like, even if you can do a hadouken with one button, it doesn't mean that you still don't have to learn what the hadouken is for, learning how to time it so that it's where you want it to be, having a sense of what your opponent's going to do when they react to it, and so on.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
So here's a fun fact no one has pointed out yet (at least I don't think): Kazuya is the third DLC character for this game (after Joker and Banjo) to not have a link to an eShop page/Nintendo website. This is obviously because, well, there are no Tekken games available on Switch.

There is, however, one thing that's new: A disclaimer of the Tekken series' ESRB rating.

108ecbe3284eeafa4992cccdcdac28cf.png

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So here's a fun fact no one has pointed out yet (at least I don't think): Kazuya is the third DLC character for this game (after Joker and Banjo) to not have a link to an eShop page/Nintendo website. This is obviously because, well, there are no Tekken games available on Switch.

There is, however, one thing that's new: A disclaimer of the Tekken series' ESRB rating.

Couldn't Joker now link to P5 Strikers?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Two observations from fixing that Twinkle Star Sprites video. First, AVI is a dumb format and I should never use it again. Second, these are the Act 1 and Act 2 themes from a lost Sonic 3 zone:

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
It could but they probably won't lol

My guess as for why is because Persona 5 Strikers wasn't Joker's debut game. Pretty much all the DLC characters that do have links typically link to their debut game that's available on the eShop, like how Terry's page links to the ACA NeoGeo Fatal Fury port.
I remember back in Smash4, Cloud's profile page on the Japanese site linked a "general Final Fantasy site", and it was around that time FFVIIR was announced, so the game was all over the site, with just a very brief mention of Final Fantasy Explorers (which was already old in Japan, by that point :p)

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Didn't Xenoblade 2 have something similar with Pyra/Mythra's page?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Makes you wonder why Joker doesn't have an ESRB disclaimer, considering Persona 5 is rated M.
I'm guessing that the ESRB added some obscure rule between FP1 and 2 saying that if a game has content from a different game with a higher rating, they have to add that disclaimer.

Min Min and Steve don't have it and their games are the same ESRB rating as Smash or lower.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome back, Hailinel.

I am pleased to inform you that in the duration of your absence I was able to factually prove that Geno is once more a viable choice for speculation as DLC.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
10 minutes into Crackdown 3: "This is a lot of fun! I'm gonna call my brother tomorrow and tell him to download this from Gamepass and we'll play co-op."

1 hour into Crackdown 3: "I never want to see this game again."

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Two observations from fixing that Twinkle Star Sprites video. First, AVI is a dumb format and I should never use it again. Second, these are the Act 1 and Act 2 themes from a lost Sonic 3 zone:

did that YouTube account get obliterated in the three hours between you posting this and me seeing it or is something screwy on my end

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
now we all know that i want a new zelda character, who is also not a link or a zelda, but i am willing to make an exception if it's zelda riding the mastercycle

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, I forgot this came out

ehhh… I think I might wait for both packs to release before getting back into it
You might find that best, I have been enjoying that today but i just keep going "I wish I hadn't already 100%ed the game" since some of the QOL stuff is pretty nice and while there's a fair amount of quests it definitely feels like there's not THAT many. I expect the second half of the pass to have more quests that might be more enjoyable to interweve with these quests all at once.

Still pretty neato tho.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every once in a while I think Super Metroid doesn't live up to the hype like "the jumps are too stiff and finding upgrades feels more slipshod than it should" then I actually play it and just nah I'm a dumbass this is perf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.