• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nintendo Direct E3 2021 is drawing near; what Smash news are we expecting?

• Challenger Pack 10

Votes: 143 46.6%
  • Challenger Pack 10 + Challenger Pack 11

Votes: 104 33.9%
  • Challenger Pack 10 + Volume 3 announcement

Votes: 30 9.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • None of the above; the wait continues...

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is this "blushy crushy" in japanese
It means this:

gsj7t.gif

I'm only 50% lying to you.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Blushy crushy was an attempt to translate "moe" for a Western audience who likely aren't that knowledgable of otaku slang terms (plus trying to make it sound like Nopon slang). Heck, many who think they do know their geek terminology still get the defintion of "moe" wrong. Kind of funny how many people get upset that Nintendo dared to localise this sacred term.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Blushy crushy was an attempt to translate "moe" for a Western audience who likely aren't that knowledgable of otaku slang terms (plus trying to make it sound like Nopon slang). Heck, many who think they do know their geek terminology still get the defintion of "moe" wrong. Kind of funny how many people get upset that Nintendo dared to localise this sacred term.
Is this really true? Lmao

I thought it was just a thing that was present in the Japanese version as a "nopon-ism"

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
The tale of Activision asking a lot of money for Crash in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is often seen of a twisted perspective.. when in reality the budget Sony injected in the game wasn't that big to begin with, so they kinda had to work with what they could (Crash wasn't the only big 3rd Party icon missing of that game).. the IP was also on hiatus on that point (which probably was a barrier to the price charged) and Superbot simply didn't had the prestige Sakurai/Nintendo has (besides the fact Smash is a huge budget game)... No matter how much Activision would ask for Crash on this current days, I doubt he'd be even the most expensive character on the game, DLC or otherwise (Steve, Sephiroth/Cloud are probably way up on the top)

and also, let's not forget that the otherway around already happened, with Nintendo content popping up on Activision games (Skylanders, Diablo).. which if you ask me, sounds way more hard to negotiate, due how Nintendo handle their IPs.

Yep, I could have kept going. I don't think it's outlandish to think Activision asked for a lot of money for Crash, but I definitely don't think it's some impossible roadblock like some people suggest. I just wanted to entertain that argument.

I also have always thought that Nintendo and Activision had to have at least talked about Smash when they were allowing their characters to be included in Skylanders. I mean, Steve was in the works for 5 years. Donkey Kong and Bowser were released in Skylanders 5 years ago. It's not crazy to think they at least talked about Crash in Smash five years ago. If somehow there was a deal worked out for the Skylanders/Smash swap of characters, then the whole idea that Activision asked for a lot of money is moot anyway.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I also have always thought that Nintendo and Activision had to have at least talked about Smash when they were allowing their characters to be included in Skylanders. I mean, Steve was in the works for 5 years. Donkey Kong and Bowser were released in Skylanders 5 years ago. It's not crazy to think they at least talked about Crash in Smash five years ago. If somehow there was a deal worked out for the Skylanders/Smash swap of characters, then the whole idea that Activision asked for a lot of money is moot anyway.
Not every conversation Nintendo has with a corporate partner brings up Smash.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
Not every conversation Nintendo has with a corporate partner brings up Smash.

Of course not. But when Nintendo, a company that is notorious for being protective of their characters, allowed their characters to be used in another company's game (an American company, at that) as a crossover, it's not outlandish to think that Nintendo's highly popular crossover game would come up during discussions. No one suggested it was a certainty that they talked about it, just a logical possibility.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Yep, I could have kept going. I don't think it's outlandish to think Activision asked for a lot of money for Crash, but I definitely don't think it's some impossible roadblock like some people suggest. I just wanted to entertain that argument.

Also, I think they'd need to renew licenses anyway for the following Skylanders entry (Imaginators) that happened in 2016 and had Crash on it (launch game on Switch in the next year; one of the last 3rd Party games on Wii U as well).

The whole skit of Reggie and the Diablo III announcement for Switch in 2018 was also interesting. Activision is one of the few 3rd Parties with amiibo lines going on too (others being Capcom with Monster Hunter and Mega Man and Yacht Club Games with Shovel Knight)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Of course not. But when Nintendo, a company that is notorious for being protective of their characters, allowed their characters to be used in another company's game (an American company, at that) as a crossover, it's not outlandish to think that Nintendo's highly popular crossover game would come up during discussions. No one suggested it was a certainty that they talked about it, just a logical possibility.
That's a stretch. When Activision came to Nintendo talked about the Bowser and DK Skylander/amiibo hybrids, or when they talked to Nintendo about content for Diablo III, that was specifically what they talked about. Activision was in no position to say, "Oh, and if you pay us X dollars, we'll let you put Crash Bandicoot in Smash."
all this time I thought "blushy crushy" was a euphemism for being aroused or something lol
picard-meme-facepalm.jpg

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
My girlfriend would be super excited if Ryza got in because she's been on an Atelier binge over the past year playing 5 of the games and Ryza is one of her favorite protagonists, so I've been hoping for Ryza secretly for a while now.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Cranky Kong is still necessary to fill Nintendo's vacant old man fighter niche, look it's either him or Jeigan who no one will play because he'd lose attack power as the match goes on.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
If Dixie's reveal were to reuse the K. Rool trailer format again, a fun and fitting twist would be that instead of a montage with the villain/rival characters, we instead get a montage of the female characters on the roster.

Imagine it, first it begins with art of Peach, Daisy and Rosalina together, then it shows Zelda and Sheik, then Samus, then Palutena, then Isabelle with Villager, and then Bayonetta. Then cut to DK's mouth, and you know the rest from here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
What if Actvision was fine with Crash in Smash but - Actvision wanted both Crash and Spyro in. Nintendo eventually agreed and Crash and Spyro are revealed as the final two playable fighters

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if we go to dk's cabin again im gonna kill a guy

i love that funny ape but you cant do the same trailer three fucking times

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I swear I could recall someone saying that Dixie would make sense as a pick specifically because they could save money reusing the same trailer.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
if we go to dk's cabin again im gonna kill a guy

i love that funny ape but you cant do the same trailer three fucking times

Sure you can lol

Especially if it was used for Dixie Kong. It'd actually be a really nice bookend to all of the 90s Rareware love this game brought.

I like one idea someone thought of, where the Kongs see Dixie's silhouette (who was really Inkling) appear through the window as usual, but storm out of the cabin in anger because they already know the deal by now...but then they go ahead and meet up with the real Dixie waiting for them outside

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The issue is that based on what was said at the time Nintendo was pretty restrictive with their choices. Ruling out any "Mario hero" character for example, which is why they ended up with Bowser and Donkey Kong. Considering how the next game didn't add any new Nintendo characters, I doubt the negotiations really led to anything else.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can really tell sakurai doesnt know like anything about banjo kazooie because he opted to just reuse the script for the k.rool one and make banjo one of donkey kong's friends as opposed to anything that actually had anything to do with that character's actual identity

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can really tell sakurai doesnt know like anything about banjo kazooie because he opted to just reuse the script for the k.rool one and make banjo one of donkey kong's friends as opposed to anything that actually had anything to do with that character's actual identity

The... the big reunion of Rare characters though...

That was part of the character's identity...

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
They'll reuse the DK trailer but not for a DK character. It'll be for another Rare character like Rash or Conker and we all lose.
Is this sarcasm or something

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, he wanted to obviously reference and celebrate the fact that Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country were made by the same company during the 90s. Considering that was basically the whole reason people wanted Banjo in Smash and the fact that Smash is a big crossover celebration of games, I thought that was a really clever way of going about it, and a neat way of acknowledging the overlap with K. Rool's and Banjo's fandoms. It was actually really cool to see an official Nintendo product acknowledge DK, Diddy and K. Rool originally being made by Rare, as opposed to just being ordinary Nintendo characters that just happened to always be around.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
What if Actvision was fine with Crash in Smash but - Actvision wanted both Crash and Spyro in. Nintendo eventually agreed and Crash and Spyro are revealed as the final two playable fighters
I think it's safe to say that Nintendo needs to approach the companies wanting to have their characters in Smash, and said company should not act entitled to offer/ask more than Nintendo is willing to add; .. (I suppose it's what happened with Ubisoft and Rayman.. when Nintendo only needed material for trophies in Smash4); well, we have some rumblings about Square, but even they had to dance according to Nintendo's song.

Spyro would still show up within Crash's content anyway, I'm sure

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
to capture banjo's unique identity the trailer should have been a kid desperately waiting for their n64 to have games

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imagine wanting dixie kong in smash but as opposed to having her own trailer thats tailored to her actual character she just does the k.rool and banjo one again except its all about nintendo's girlbosses because thats what you can simplify her character to, a fucking girl ape, as opposed to an awesome ape that kicks ass and chews bubblegum

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
they should only do the DK trailer gag again if it's for a completely unrelated character

shatter expectations

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The DK trailer but once the shots of the villains and heroes fighting end the screen goes dark and you just hear

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imagine if cranky kong got a trailer but it was just the same fucking shot of dk opening his mouth and then a nintendo character pretending to be him but surprise its just like, game and watch or something, and then cranky kong hits him with a cane

this is the trailer you guys want for some reason even though its the same fucking joke three times now

oh and the trailer starts with a bunch of mentor figures for some fucking reason

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
This is the trailer concept I was thinking about

7Z4fjGF.jpg

Yeah I just like the idea of the Kongs looking out the window and being like "fuck this", only to end up running into the real Dixie.

imagine if cranky kong got a trailer but it was just the same fucking shot of dk opening his mouth and then a nintendo character pretending to be him but surprise its just like, game and watch or something, and then cranky kong hits him with a cane

this is the trailer you guys want for some reason even though its the same fucking joke three times now

oh and the trailer starts with a bunch of mentor figures for some fucking reason

Sounds good to me!

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH

You should be proud of this. It's brilliant.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Hell, Crash could even work as a third iteration of the K. Rool trailer: Incineroar dresses up in a Crash costume before the real deal Death Tornado Spins him away, add in a shot of Mario + Sonic + Banjo fighting each other to the opening slideshow.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Dry Bowser is the final character. Not an echo of Bowser, he has an entirely unique moveset for no particular reason, but he also comes with a Bowser's Castle stage that everyone loves so nobody complains

Status
Not open for further replies.