• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nintendo Direct E3 2021 is drawing near; what Smash news are we expecting?

• Challenger Pack 10

Votes: 143 46.6%
  • Challenger Pack 10 + Challenger Pack 11

Votes: 104 33.9%
  • Challenger Pack 10 + Volume 3 announcement

Votes: 30 9.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • None of the above; the wait continues...

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
One of the best things about Yakuza is how regularly they can crank those suckers out

Just the other day I was thinking "huh, Like a Dragon didn't even come out that long ago, but I could really go for some more Yakuza " and then boom, Lost Judgement got announced like a couple days later. Asset reuse is a powerful thing.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
So I started my project going through all 150 some Gen 1 Moves and cataloguing which Generation V Pokemon have learnt them via Level Up or TMHM.

Since there's no Breeding or Move Tutors in Generation 1 those moves don't count.

Of course if a Pokemon is desperate for moves I'll make exceptions. If a Gen 1 Pokemon could learn a TM move naturally in Gen 1, I allow a few Pokemon to learn it naturally as well. For example Pay Day is learnable by Meowth, so I'll let Purloin learn it.

There's already a few moves nobody learns which I might distribute so they don't go unused.

I did read your episode reactions to the current anime...just don't have anything worth posting about it. Its exhausting lol

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
One of the best things about Yakuza is how regularly they can crank those suckers out

Just the other day I was thinking "huh, Like a Dragon didn't even come out that long ago, but I could really go for some more Yakuza " and then boom, Lost Judgement got announced like a couple days later. Asset reuse is a powerful thing.
Meanwhile, Persona 6 could probably reuse assets galore and still take several more years to come out. Such is the magic of the franchise; the power of Atlus.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Meanwhile, Persona 6 could probably reuse assets galore and still take several more years to come out. Such is the magic of the franchise; the power of Atlus.
I finally finished Royal last week, and now its really hitting me that we've still got a ways to go until the next entry. I wish Atlus could get better at not taking forever all the time, but the last thing I'd want is to rush them too much, so I guess that's just the price we have to pay.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I finally finished Royal last week, and now its really hitting me that we've still got a ways to go until the next entry. I wish Atlus could get better at not taking forever all the time, but the last thing I'd want is to rush them too much, so I guess that's just the price we have to pay.
I honestly think it could go either way on just how long we have - it could take just another year or two 'til at least the announcement, using the most generous possible interpretation of what's been reported on development and assuming they're reusing P5's engine.

But on the other hand, if the new team's trying a bunch of new things/having trouble acclimating... we might be in for the long haul.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
"Why make Persona 6 when Persona 5's desiccated remains still have some spin-off juice left in them?" - Atlus, probably.

I'm only half-joking.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone said Vanillitr couldn't have Ice Beam in it's natural learnset in Gen 1 cuz it's a TM but Gen 1 Pokemon learn it naturally.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now I remember in Generation 1 it's the TMs you get from Gym Leaders specifically that no Pokemon can learn naturally, like BubbleBeam.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
"Why make Persona 6 when Persona 5's desiccated remains still have some spin-off juice left in them?" - Atlus, probably.

I'm only half-joking.
The Persona series is a camel. It drinks up fans' money and uses it to store more spin-offs in its hump to last it until the next Mainline Game Oasis.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried for ten minutes to make a comeback to this and I can't. I'm got.
on the one hand i do understand your point, but on the other hand get bent you dork

Yeah, that's extremely TVTropes, all right. All it is is people picking apart popular media down not even to their component parts, but to their atoms, and then in many cases mislabeling the molecules, of the molecules even have enough weight to bear cataloguing in the first place. I expect, eventually, that there will be a page devoted to "protagonist Orders Starbucks" with a sister trope, "Protagonist Orders Starbucks, But The Barista Spells Their Name Wrong On The Cup."

And yet people will act as though it's a legitimate source for knowledge regarding critical media discussion for their term papers or media intellectual YouTube essays, when all it is is an overloaded wiki by a community determined to draw blood from every stone they can.
It's not the breaking down that gets me, because maybe someday you'll want to find a list of characters who have jerked off so it's nice to have that available when you need it. It's the people who don't seem to understand what the resource is. The front page of the website says "tropes are not bad", but you still get people who say that Tvtropes is great because it helped them avoid tropes, which if they're lucky means that they'll get their own Tvtropes page full of tropes typical of people who are trying to be subversive because the person who was trying to avoid tropes hasn't figured out that the reason we have so many is because we've been writing stories for around 5,000 years and it's hard to avoid doing anything that has been done a bunch of times before.

You also get people who view Tvtropes as an academic resource even though, similarly, the website says it's it's informal. So you'd say something like "I hated forced voices in video games" and then the Tvtroper pops up and goes, wait, the proper term is "but thou must", which adds nothing to the conversation except revealing to the world that you spend too much time on that website and are no longer able to code-switch from "weird internet nerd" to "actual human being". It's the equivalent of saying to the person across the counter that instead of a Pepsi you'll get a bottle of dihydrogen monoxide, except Tvtropes doesn't even half the history of European civilization clinging to the prestige of Greek and Latin to prove to the world that they weren't always a bunch of hicks on the global scale.

The secret thing that Tvtropes is really good for, though, is historical stuff. Besides it being informal and therefore pretty readable even for the uninformed, the fact that it's focused on fiction means that it's naturally heavily geared towards breaking down specific cultural perceptions of history and explaining why they are how they are and how it fails to capture reality. For example, a lot of tropes revolving around the depiction of Nazis as a highly technologically advanced machine that the Western world miraculously came together to defeat, which is naturally a mixture of a half-truths and propaganda. While they had highly advanced military technology, they're inevitably inefficient because they're more concerned with holding power than actually running things properly, and they lacked the access to the resources need to and understanding of how to operate a global empire, so despite the bombs and tanks they were largely running on horse-drawn vehicles and slave labour.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
History tells me they'll announce it for a 2024 release in 2023, and it'll end up releasing in 2026.
I do wonder, how much from P5 will they take for P6 or they will go in a slightly different direction in terms of its structure, plot and gameplay since it is a new time instead of the team that has been working on the series since P3

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I hope P6 goes in a totally different direction in many aspects.

You all know what i'm getting at; no need to spell it out.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has spent way too much time in RPG Maker, I recognize that font instantly.
This was RPG Maker's font for me:
spmTe3wDpIqb5JrCRUsWO2vpyTVSu34Rj_Nt2tfSmvkpO4c7W1cq243oO0WrgBVLW8j8Ff7qaWtkTqP7LSlEZxUwzHV8Cw

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I know that's probably not what this picture implies, but I'd like to imagine BGBW playing a Russian RPG where protagonists are slimes with names like Don Miguel and Markus which use magic like operator overloading and resource acquisition in initialization.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Of course I had to make a quoteless post just before BGBW injected a different screenshot. When will I learn.

€: I appreciate the new one not erasing my musings outright, though.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I know that's probably not what this picture implies, but I'd like to imagine BGBW playing a Russian RPG where protagonists are slimes with names like Don Miguel and Markus which use magic like operator overloading and resource acquisition in initialization.
Anyone who used RPG Maker 2k back in the day played Don's Adventure!

I've used many versions of RPG Maker over the years, and experienced multiple fonts.

just replying to say I saw the first screenshot you used before subbing it out
I discovered it wasn't actually a RPG Maker 2k screenshot, but rather Don's Adventure played in an open source alternative to RPG Maker that I never knew of until now.

Plus, gotta have the old Win 95/98 UI to truly reflect what it looked like for me.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Amateur RPGs made in actual RPG making software? Ha!

wartorn1j1kro.gif

40832yjv4.png

The second of these screenshots is based on professional wrestling.

Rooie

Feb 16, 2021
It's wild to me how Persona 3 and Persona 4 came out two years apart (and they managed to make P3FES in the middle too), but now we'd feel exceptionally lucky if it only took them half a decade to make a new one.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don Miguel is a name I haven't thought of in a long, long time. Definitely remember messing around with both making, creating, and modding RPG maker 2000 games.

and of course, playing BASIC RPGs.

freakfarm.png

and who could forget TI-83 games...

68517.gif

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Submitted for the approval of the Council of Smash Memes, I present: videos of foxes playing but with Melee soundclips and effects over them.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Why does everything on the Wuhu Island stages still have the Wii U branding.
Isn't it because the stage was based on Wii Sports Resort? Wuhu Island had an updated version for Mario Kart 8 DX's battle mode, but it's obviously not the one used in Smash Ultmate.

I do wonder, how much from P5 will they take for P6 or they will go in a slightly different direction in terms of its structure, plot and gameplay since it is a new time instead of the team that has been working on the series since P3
I actually think the fact that it's a new team might push them to show they can recreate something like P5 before going on to do their own thing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ayumi strikes me as a character better served in the days of 64/Melee where the characters weren't so rigorously faithful to their source material, but that's why I want to see her now (alternative Phoenix Wright). How do you adapt a VN Murder Mystery hero to a fighting game?

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Isn't it because the stage was based on Wii Sports Resort? Wuhu Island had an updated version for Mario Kart 8 DX's battle mode, but it's obviously not the one used in Smash Ultmate.

I actually think the fact that it's a new team might push them to show they can recreate something like P5 before going on to do their own thing.
Possibly true. This might be an unpopular opinion but i hope P6 tries something new instead of sticking to the P3,P4,P5 Formula which while good - has been played out in my opinion. I think P5 perfected the formula (mostly) and i don't really want P6 to just be P5 but better

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This deserves more views.

Also, I had never seen that Joker glitch before. Looks like he used Wings of Rebellion right when Arsene phased out and got a glitchy grappling hook.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how difficult it'd be to take the Generation 5 "demake" project I'm typing it up and make a romhack of Red and Blue? I imagine the easiest way would be to switch out the pre-existing Pokemon, but would you have to do it 1:1?

Anyway I was thinking about which Generation 5 Pokemon the Kanto Gym Leaders would use and it's kind of tough thanks to the dual Types. Like Swanna would totally fit Misty, BUT since it's part Flying I wouldn't want to take away Grass's advantage that early. Jellicent would also be cool but then an early Gym Leader having a Ghost-type seems broke when a lot of early game Pokemon end up stuck with Normal moves.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like a Persona Q3 with characters from Persona 1 and 2 as well. Dunno what setting they could do though, because they did school in 1 and movies in 2.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Ayumi strikes me as a character better served in the days of 64/Melee where the characters weren't so rigorously faithful to their source material, but that's why I want to see her now (alternative Phoenix Wright). How do you adapt a VN Murder Mystery hero to a fighting game?
Being a VN Murder Mystery Hero didn't stop Phoenix from getting into UMvC3.

And as far as Smash characters being rigorously faithful, it wasn't even that comparatively long ago in Ultimate that we got Duck Hunt. A mix of new moves and abstract references that served as an excellent representation of Duck Hunt in Smash. Ayumi could act in a similar manner as a VN Adventure rep.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
When you bring a character from a different genre in a fighting game, it's bound to have something lost in the transition and that's fine; That's actually the fun part of seeing the character outside their natural enverioment.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'd like a Persona Q3 with characters from Persona 1 and 2 as well. Dunno what setting they could do though, because they did school in 1 and movies in 2.
I'd take it, especially if they could somehow squeeze in Zenkichi, Sophia, Yoshizawa, and Akechi's portrayal in Royal

Etrian Odyssey kinda vanished with the 3DS, though, so I wouldn't get my hopes up, though

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's not the breaking down that gets me, because maybe someday you'll want to find a list of characters who have jerked off so it's nice to have that available when you need it. It's the people who don't seem to understand what the resource is. The front page of the website says "tropes are not bad", but you still get people who say that Tvtropes is great because it helped them avoid tropes, which if they're lucky means that they'll get their own Tvtropes page full of tropes typical of people who are trying to be subversive because the person who was trying to avoid tropes hasn't figured out that the reason we have so many is because we've been writing stories for around 5,000 years and it's hard to avoid doing anything that has been done a bunch of times before.

You also get people who view Tvtropes as an academic resource even though, similarly, the website says it's it's informal. So you'd say something like "I hated forced voices in video games" and then the Tvtroper pops up and goes, wait, the proper term is "but thou must", which adds nothing to the conversation except revealing to the world that you spend too much time on that website and are no longer able to code-switch from "weird internet nerd" to "actual human being". It's the equivalent of saying to the person across the counter that instead of a Pepsi you'll get a bottle of dihydrogen monoxide, except Tvtropes doesn't even half the history of European civilization clinging to the prestige of Greek and Latin to prove to the world that they weren't always a bunch of hicks on the global scale.

The secret thing that Tvtropes is really good for, though, is historical stuff. Besides it being informal and therefore pretty readable even for the uninformed, the fact that it's focused on fiction means that it's naturally heavily geared towards breaking down specific cultural perceptions of history and explaining why they are how they are and how it fails to capture reality. For example, a lot of tropes revolving around the depiction of Nazis as a highly technologically advanced machine that the Western world miraculously came together to defeat, which is naturally a mixture of a half-truths and propaganda. While they had highly advanced military technology, they're inevitably inefficient because they're more concerned with holding power than actually running things properly, and they lacked the access to the resources need to and understanding of how to operate a global empire, so despite the bombs and tanks they were largely running on horse-drawn vehicles and slave labour.
That's another good point that I tried alluding to, but you did a much better job of articulating. The TVTropes community is full of people that don't understand why tropes exist in the first place and treat them as something to avoid or subvert at all costs because they have the weird, mistaken belief that tropes are inherently awful. And the people that use it as an academic resource don't understand the informal purpose of the website, so like you said, they come off as the weird internet nerd when people are discussing media. And just like all things related to internet discussion, this group, the one that takes TVTropes too seriously and view all tropes as Bad, and don't realize how ridiculous they sound when they're arguing at length of why.

And there's people who don't view tropes as the devil and open TVTropes to find some newly catalogued trope where, naturally, the opening paragraph is at minimum 40% links to other trope pages, and the media catalogued range from anime and video games to fanfiction, and they just see the website for the goofy-ass wiki it is.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish Nago wasn't a GG vampire. I fucking hate Slayer's smugfuck face so much

Status
Not open for further replies.