• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
rYTj77f.png

I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of the last four Fighter Pass characters aren't from this batch.
So how pleasantly surprised would you be when Banjo is revealed next week?

MvCI bombed for other reasons. A standalone Capcom All-Stars would sell around Mega Man 11 or MvCI numbers.
Didn't that game still sell like at least a million? I remember listening to a podcast that said Marvel Infinite did well if slightly below expectations despite everything going against it

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Meh, the amount of money going towards licensing Marvel and splitting the costs probably eats more into profits than they'd get if they went solo, or at least tried it out. We don't know yet because it's never happened.

And as we've discussed previously, they could always take the Killer Instinct route.
That would be one way to mitigate the loss in potential sales. Though that depends on Capcom's plans for fighting games next-gen.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the more time passes the more I think this isn't gonna matter anymore soon as the line of being on a Nintendo system has been getting blurred more and more. Especially since Nintendo has had a collaboration with Cygames with Dragalia and their recent focus on mobile.

If anything the fact Grandblue hasn't had a proper western release kind of limits it's potential but otherwise if Nintendo wants to take Mobile more seriously then doing it with one of the most popular Mobile games in Japan would be a decent start.
I guess it wouldn't be the first time one of the "rules" was broken. Remember when "no realistic modern firearms" was a thing? Then we got a high school student with a handgun.

On the subject of firearms, Snake really should have gotten a tranq pistol move in ultimate. At this point it's basically become his signature weapon in the MGS series.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The Pokémon Direct fucked with my expectations. I don't think Nintendo would announce a Smash Direct before the Pokémon Direct has taken place, but I also don't think they'd announce a Smash Direct just a day or two afterwards. So... I just don't think we're going to get one. I'm thinking the regular Nintendo Direct on June 11 will open with a Smash trailer.

I just don't see how it's feasible. The Joker Direct alone took 15 minutes. Surely Erdrick and DQ content would take at least 10 and that's way too much time to devote in an E3 segment for a DLC character.

rYTj77f.png

I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of the last four Fighter Pass characters aren't from this batch.

comic375.png

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see how it's feasible. The Joker Direct alone took 15 minutes. Surely Erdrick and DQ content would take at least 10 and that's way too much time to devote in an E3 segment for a DLC character.

comic375.png
What if they end the direct with erdrick, and then it goes right into treehouse with sakurai there explaining 4.0 and dq stuff?

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Could they have the reveal just happen during Treehouse itself? Treehouse has had reveals before, and if Nintendo views the explanation as something that has to follow up the trailer then Treehouse would be the best place for if the reveal isn't at the tournament.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Could they have the reveal just happen during Treehouse itself? Treehouse has had reveals before, and if Nintendo views the explanation as something that has to follow up the trailer then Treehouse would be the best place for if the reveal isn't at the tournament.
Why wouldn't they just end the direct with a hype smash reveal, and then details after? They did that with ridley.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
the Nintendo side can easily reuse characters from ultimate
And reuse the ultimate engine in General

the bulk of the 2 to 3 years in dev would be making 20 30 plus movesets that are new for jump marvel or dc

plus stages and extra stuff like story mode

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Why wouldn't they just end the direct with a hype smash reveal, and then details after? They did that with ridley.

They have to talk about the stage, and presumably Mii Costumes and other updates (Home Run Contest, etc.). I don't see them doing that in Treehouse personally.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They have to talk about the stage, and presumably Mii Costumes and other updates (Home Run Contest, etc.). I don't see them doing that in Treehouse personally.
I mean is it any better to randomly drop it after the tournament? It would make sense this way. Erdrick reveal, and then sakurai says, "you just saw erdrick and other 4.0 update things in that trailer. Let me go over it now."

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Any other changes besides the character can just be a random trailer on YouTube, like the VR update

Remember when they revealed Mii Costumes for a Smash 4 update via daily Twitter posts?

A lot of these other changes only appear in Directs because they happen to already have a Direct for the character

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DC vs Namco Hypercube, where all of the characters are photo realistic with digitally removed mustaches, and the game gets delayed so they can recast Batman

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I mean is it any better to randomly drop it after the tournament? It would make sense this way. Erdrick reveal, and then sakurai says, "you just saw erdrick and other 4.0 update things in that trailer. Let me go over it now."

I think the ideal setup would be a Smash Direct before the tournament, where he can be shown off. They did the same with Ryu.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chosen Undead can't be the Dark Souls rep because they cannot jump, sadly. Might as well add Captain Toad at that point.

Artorias on the other hand can leap

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think if a Tales character got picked it would probably be Lloyd because of the precedent set in Smash, although now that Vesperia is on a Nintendo console that might change. I'm inclined to think we would see a Tekken character first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.