• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Never said that, but the character is not comparable to any other 3rd party in terms of popularity. Every gamer knows DQ, but only a few of them know "Erdrick" as a DQ MC.

We technically don't know if "Erdrick" is the character they're using, or even if they're calling them "Erdrick".

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Never said that, but the character is not comparable to any other 3rd party in terms of popularity. Every gamer knows DQ, but only a few of them know "Erdrick" as a DQ MC.
And you don't think, by putting Erdrick in Smash bros. that fans now have a face they can associate with the series besides Slime would help?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So what are you gonna say when they reveal the dragon Quest character?
I'm going to say that is a boring pick, no more no less. I'm aware that is a big possibility, but I don't think is bigger than another FE character tbh. We'll see in a few weeks.
If I had it my way, there'd be no Dragon Quest in Smash due to Sugiyama potentially getting my money. But I recognize Dragon Quest's place in RPG history & its popularity in Japan.
Add to dat that SE has already messed up FF's music in Smash. I'm not happy by their contribution compared to any other company. But yeah, historial saga I can see them including something in Smash.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
If I had it my way, there'd be no Dragon Quest in Smash due to Sugiyama potentially getting my money. But I recognize Dragon Quest's place in RPG history & its popularity in Japan.
That's pretty much the only position I can understand for not wanting a DQ character. At this point the best we can hope for is that he didn't get paid too much.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
XHw2bkL.png

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
78a3fb5f3534a2efe0a2eaeb94593af3.png

Real DLC winner, Terra:

-Classy red dress, classic green hair
-She doesn't need to sign opera to be best girl
-Ships in her country aren't going anywhere
-Only wants to discover love, no materialism detected
-She was super Saiyan before it was mainstream
Wasn't Sakurai is thinking of going with her?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nobody cares about making sense

we care about san's cool battle theme and absurd power level
Funny ✔
Cute ✔
Nice personality ✔
Cool ✔
Most well known and by far most requested Undertale character, by far -- by far. Including the main character, however the main character might also be a good choice. ✔
Worldwide popularity. People all around the world will generate sweat for him when he's revealed. ✔
Vaguely related to Lancer, another character who is cool ✔

So nothing to answer the "not the main character" problem just meme's.

You don't get to be an exception because of meme's.

You guys could at least stan for a good character.
original.jpg

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
We technically don't know if "Erdrick" is the character they're using, or even if they're calling them "Erdrick".
We technically don't know if it's even DQ related. Maybe the "Yuusha" comes from "Densetsu no Yuusha no densetsu: Sora no Kiseki" and the character is Estelle Bright. It would be the most niche character possible tbh, but it would be the best one too.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So nothing to answer the "not the main character" problem just meme's.

You don't get to be an exception because of meme's.

You guys could at least stan for a good character.
original.jpg

nihilist who can destroy the universe but doesn't because he doesn't see the point is way more insteresting than fish person with self-esteem issues

i'm not looking to solve problems. sans is just a cool dude.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Wasn't Sakurai is thinking of going with her?
IIRC, he used her as an example of someone who could have gotten in instead of Cloud but Cloud was always the first choice.

EDIT: Found where he said that!
Sakurai: But on the other hand, if you think about who to add from Final Fantasy, it's hard to come up with a choice that's not Cloud. We could have used Terra or Bartz, protagonists in their own right, but I feel like there would be some people who wouldn't know who those characters are.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I still find it funny he name dropped Bartz, ol' Sak never got the memo about FF5's long detour getting to the west.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So did something happen to make the thread jump eight pages while I was sleeping, or is it just getting more active so close to E3.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I guess it'll ultimately depend on how prominent Edelgard is compared to the other two.

Either way, I don't think we'll get a Three Houses character in the Fighters Pass......or any first-party character, for that matter.
If we were to ignore Byleth, Sakurai selecting Edelgard isn't that different from adding just one Pokemon from a trio of starters.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I can't wait until Erdrick gets confirmed so that we can go back to talking about how cool Doomguy is going to be.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017

Indeed.

I'd venture a guess that you could pull any random person aside on the street and show them a picture of Pikachu and ask who it was, and 95% of people would either answer "Pikachu" or "Pokemon"

If you did the same with Sans or Undertale, I'd guess sub-50% of gamers would know who he is, and somewhere around in 20 people would be able to even name the game, much less the character.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed.

I'd venture a guess that you could pull any random person aside on the street and show them a picture of Pikachu and ask who it was, and 95% of people would either answer "Pikachu" or "Pokemon"

If you did the same with Sans or Undertale, I'd guess sub-50% of gamers would know who he is, and somewhere around in 20 people would be able to even name the game, much less the character.
Sans is more iconic than Ness tbh

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
But it's the equivalent of adding Jack Frost over Joker.
It is, and there's no denying that Jack Frost would serve as the best Atlus representative. That said, P5 now is huge (the hugest Atlus has never been), has a popular anime (it's bad though), has a few games in the same universe ready to be released (PQ2 is already here) and has Joker, that is stylish. And P5 is popular because how stylish it is, so it makes sense to use the stylish Joker over a Pokemon-like creature. I'm sure that there are more modern players that know how Joker looks that how Jack Frost looks.

On the other hand, Slime is iconic mostly because has been the DQ mascot for decades, and has been referenced in lots of other games, manga, anime, etc... Is far more popular as a character than any specific DQ hero.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
On the other hand, Slime is iconic mostly because has been the DQ mascot for decades, and has been referenced in lots of other games, manga, anime, etc... Is far more popular as a character than any specific DQ hero.
If it were really more popular, its own series would have outshone Dragon Quest proper though, where it's just a class of minor enemies. It's a very well known icon, but it's clear people don't really look for Slime when they want a Dragon Quest experience.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It is, and there's no denying that Jack Frost would serve as the best Atlus representative. That said, P5 now is huge (the hugest Atlus has never been), has a popular anime (it's bad though), has a few games in the same universe ready to be released (PQ2 is already here) and has Joker, that is stylish. And P5 is popular because how stylish it is, so it makes sense to use the stylish Joker over a Pokemon-like creature. I'm sure that there are more modern players that know how Joker looks that how Jack Frost looks.

But at the same time, you fight Slime. You level up Joker, you level up Pikachu, but you don't level up Slime.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official Staff Communication
Just a reminder, this thread is to discuss potential DLC newcomers and not banned members. Aside from that, please consider different opinions than your own when discussing character reveal impact and other aspects of DLC characters. You don't have to agree with one another, but there's no reason to be disruptive either

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish rocket slime was good. for some reason they thought making movement as slow as the slimes are in the main games would be fun or cute or something

edit: omg lol Izanagi reported me. good grief.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
But at the same time, you fight Slime. You level up Joker, you level up Pikachu, but you don't level up Slime.
Same can be said about Piranha Plant tbh, Sakurai likes to do crazy things like this from time to time.
If it were really more popular, its own series would have outshone Dragon Quest proper though, where it's just a class of minor enemies. It's a very well known icon, but it's clear people don't really look for Slime when they want a Dragon Quest experience.
That's fair, but they think about an specific MC? FF-> Cloud, Tales of-> Lloyd/Cless... are what most players think first. What about DQ? Is Erdrick the big name then?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
That reminds me of my bet with Heath. My last bet my final bet....that was made a looong time ago ..2020 where are youuu

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Same can be said about Piranha Plant tbh, Sakurai likes to do crazy things like this from time to time.
But at the same time, we got almost every major Mario character before we got Piranha Plant. Slime would hypothetically be the only Dragon Quest character in Smash, which would be a bit weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.