• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm disappointed that y'all didn't even went there with anime Spiderman.

Let me presents you the character

zgtuAw4.png

Is she anime enough?

She originated from a western comic book and then was redesigned by American animators, so not really.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fun fact, one of Samus's alt colors and at least a couple of Dark Samus's alt colors are based on Gundam. Sakurai is apparently a huge fan.

The Smash wiki doesn't source their alt colour references most of the time. The only one that ever was mentioned with Gundam in its context was that reference of the green Samus costume (which was on the Smash 64 site - so that reference is 20 years old at this point).

Dark Samus' alt colours mostly reference various bosses from the Metroid series, mainly from the Prime series. The black one for instance is definitely not any of the references they list on there, but most likely a reference to Gorea, the final boss of Metroid Prime Hunters. The grey one is definitely the concept art or meant to be the Phazon Suit.
The only one I personally couldn't identify is the burgundy coloured one - the closest match I found/remembered is the Master Brain fight from Federation Force, but I'm not sure about that one at all.

That white one for Dark Samus is pretty obviously not a Gundam reference. It literally has the same exact colors as that Dark Samus concept art...

Well... Gandrayda's spirit battle actually uses the blue one for some reason.

On that note, I'm a bit disappointed the Trace battle uses pink Samus and not red Dark Samus.

Dark Samus gets used in few spirit battles period, and the Gandrayda one using blue instead of pink makes me think that it probably was a later addition to the colour selection, and they didn't bother to update it to reflect that change.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I just realized, it's kind of telling about the Google Theory that GameXplain never did a video about the rumor (they even did a video for the Grinch Rumor, though it was one showing that they didn't believe it).

To be clear, I'm implying that the Google Theory is false.

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I consider it a reference to Trace, with the yellow highlights added because dark red on red wouldn't have looked right

Yeah that would be my second guess, along with maybe Spire as third. There's not really a Metroid boss, character or even enemy that falls exactly into this palette (at least as far as I recall), so yeah.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I would at least like to know in the event that the Google leak is fake how much money the person blew on it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't like how they dumped the suit that could actually be recolored for the black one with colored ties. My Jeff Mii looks much worse now...

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Don't mind me, just posting this picture again.

NEz2Kzt.jpg

If you don't think this is the tightest shit you can get outta my face.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how the hell did Ninja Gaiden end up in there if the Google Leak is real

why would Nintendo even give him that option

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
how the hell did Ninja Gaiden end up in there if the Google Leak is real

why would Nintendo even give him that option
Ninja Gaiden was in the NES Classic. They see it as a Classic franchise and are already colaborating with Tecmo Koei on other games. It's not really far fetched even if it doesn't happen in the end.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Like I said, GameXplain, the group that did a video on the Grinch Rumor & how they felt it was fake, isn't giving the Google Theory the time of day. If that doesn't scream "It's fake", you might want to clear your ears a bit.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, GameXplain, the group that did a video on the Grinch Rumor & how they felt it was fake, isn't giving the Google Theory the time of day. If that doesn't scream "It's fake", you might want to clear your ears a bit.
I mean it sounds ridiculous, I wouldn't waste time on it if I were them.

unlike with the roster for the base game tho I doubt they know the dlc characters so it doesn't really say much to me

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Ninja Gaiden was in the NES Classic. They see it as a Classic franchise and are already colaborating with Tecmo Koei on other games. It's not really far fetched even if it doesn't happen in the end.
More recently than the NES Classic, it was already featured on the NES Online app. I don't buy the Google Leak, but Hayabusa does have a shot without it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This is Brock. He's clearly playing at another bit.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
More recently than the NES Classic, it was already featured on the NES Online app. I don't buy the Google Leak, but Hayabusa does have a shot without it.
And the series still has recent history on Nintendo platforms in the modern series, as well as Hayabusa's appearances in DOA games and Musou.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Recently been playing Trails in the Sky for the first time, and I've now quickly gotten on the Estelle for Smash train. Falcom's cool enough to deserve a rep, right? Anyway, here's my updated wishlist for the remaining DLC characters (to be clear, not a predictions list):

- Erdrick
- Chorus Kids
- Estelle Bright
- Phoenix Wright

DFElias

Apr 24, 2018
Not seeing a lot of people who wouldn't be dissatisfied with Steve in the Smash community. Is it only because people would rather have Banjo/Master Chief?
I think he could be a really cool Villager-like character, pulling out tons of items in his moveset and a wide range of skins to pick from.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Not seeing a lot of people who wouldn't be dissatisfied with Steve in the Smash community. Is it only because people would rather have Banjo/Master Chief?
I think he could be a really cool Villager-like character, pulling out tons of items in his moveset and a wide range of skins to pick from.
For some people it's probably just competition with a character they want (and I admit that I might feel like that sometimes too) but my main reason personally is just that the Minecraft world, aesthetic and mobs are the most interesting and iconic parts of the game, and we only need a stage for those.

I'm not opposed to Minecraft content in Smash, but I feel like it doesn't need to have a playable character to represent the franchise well (like Monster Hunter being repped by a boss fight). Everyone swaps out their skin immediately to some custom pop-culture one anyway, and we have a whole selection of gaming icons already in Smash, so the middle man in Steve is kinda unnecessary here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
For some people it's probably just competition with a character they want (and I admit that I might feel like that sometimes too) but my main reason personally is just that the Minecraft world, aesthetic and mobs are the most interesting and iconic parts of the game, and we only need a stage for those.

I'm not opposed to Minecraft content in Smash, but I feel like it doesn't need to have a playable character to represent the franchise well (like Monster Hunter being repped by a boss fight). Everyone swaps out their skin immediately to some custom pop-culture one anyway, and we have a whole selection of gaming icons already in Smash, so the middle man in Steve is kinda unnecessary here.
The moveset potential for steve imo just goes way beyond monster hunter though. Think of like being able to build/put different types of blocks, using tools, etc.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The moveset potential for steve imo just goes way beyond monster hunter though. Think of like being able to build/put different types of blocks, using tools, etc.
I don't think building would be part of Steve's moveset, even if he made it in. They didn't even do ink swimming for Inklings (just having the stages be temporarily inked and making the swimming their run annimation), so imagine how difficult it would be to optimise every stage in the game to support grid-based block placements for a single character. It isn't really feasible.

Steve could have a decent moveset without it, but I still stand by my stance that a stage is the best representation it could get. The stage could easily have destructible blocks or different layouts (like Mario Maker) to represent the building aspect in a more reasonable manner.

Last edited:

DFElias

Apr 24, 2018

While definitely true, same could be said for Villager, who's also a 'empty shell' for the player to customize but the character gets its charm because of the arsenal of items he uses taken from Animal Crossing.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
While definitely true, same could be said for Villager, who's also a 'empty shell' for the player to customize but the character gets its charm because of the arsenal of items he uses taken from Animal Crossing.
I think the Villager (and Animal Crossing in general) has a bit more charm than Steve does, which is why that wacky character with an arsenal of random items worked out in Sakurai's mind. Sakurai has talked about how a character needs to be able to dance in his head before he can picture them in Smash, and I don't know if Steve could "dance" the way Villager could. They were also the first rep for a growing Nintendo IP, and i'm sure that giving them the full playable treatment was a necessity by the time of Smash 4 (and Isabelle was far too new to be that first rep).

I don't think Sakurai would design Steve in that way regardless; based on one of his columns about Minecraft, he points out that resource gathering and having multiple ways to use those resources are some of the key points of the game. I would imagine that Sakurai would design a character around managing resources during a fight, probably having some menu mechanic that would allow you to swap between a small selection of items. Thinking about it, this is kinda how I would imagine Banjo & Kazooie working (but managing your eggs and feathers instead).

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Villager is also a first party character.

I mentioned this before, but I just find the idea of making customizable avatars into our big guest characters pretty lame. Villager, Robin and so on are just ordinary Nintendo characters so no problem there, but I think third party guests should be different. No one really reveres Steve in the same way they do with Cloud, Sonic, Ryu, Mega Man, etc.

Look at Monster Hunter. It's a massively popular franchise Sakurai could of easily made a character out of...but ultimately he didn't. He got the rights to use it in the base game, but he just opted to represent it with a boss battle in the single-player modes and with an assist trophy. Which makes sense, considering the main appeal of MH is going around and well, hunting monsters. No one actually really cares about the Monster Hunter as a character.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Villager is also a first party character.

I mentioned this before, but I just find the idea of making customizable avatars into our big guest characters pretty lame. Villager, Robin and so on are just ordinary Nintendo characters so no problem there, but I think third party guests should be different. No one really reveres Steve in the same way they do with Cloud, Sonic, Ryu, Mega Man, etc.

Look at Monster Hunter. It's a massively popular franchise Sakurai could of easily made a character out of...but ultimately he didn't. He got the rights to use it in the base game, but he just opted to represent it with a boss battle in the single-player modes and with an assist trophy. Which makes sense, considering the main appeal of MH is going around and well, hunting monsters. No one actually really cares about the Monster Hunter as a character.
I definitely agree with this. The representation for Monster Hunter and Bomberman in Ultimate has made me rethink what third-party inclusions in Smash need to be. We've actually seen non-playable third parties represented in almost every way besides a stage
  • Non-Playable Characters: Bomberman, Monster Hunter, Virtua Fighter
  • Mii Costumes: Tales, Tekken (from Smash 4)
  • Music: Tetris
  • Trophies/Spirits: Rayman, Shovel Knight, Shantae
and I think Minecraft would be a perfect choice for that sort of representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.