• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You guys should really watch Geno's video on this cause you have a fundamental misunderstanding about how this theory was crafted. I still think it's incredibly likely to be a fake because I think Square is probably getting another rep (whether it be Erdrick or not), but someone didn't just randomly google "artorias". This was the result of a group of people working the better part of a day to type in A TON of names in a rather systematic process.

And there's a reason people throw curveball characters into leaks like this. Sakurai likes to throw curveballs sometimes.
I'd trust PushDustin over Papa Geno.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
D6OgPInWkAAht6B.jpg

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Even though its fake, at least this google thing is more interesting than some random person staring way too long at the textures on Battlefield and seeing Rayman kind of sort of.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The Rayman thing is absolutely just a coincidence and means nothing at all

Still can't unsee him though

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I'd trust PushDustin over Papa Geno.
Trust really doesn't have anything to do with it. After explaining the theory Geno says he thinks it's probably fake, but it's weird and interesting. He strikes me as a guy who likes to have fun imagining possibilities but doesn't go overboard.

PushDustin is a great translator and does probably some of the highest quality research into Sakurai and his opinions, but he doesn't exactly have a track record of having any inside information. He just constantly tells people to temper their expectations. Good advice if delivered sparingly, but it gets kind of tiring to hear after awhile. I get that with every stupid theory he probably has a ton of dumb kids @ him, so he feels obligated to say something about it. Still, he could just take a break or mute his mentions if it truly bothers him. He often comes across as a tired parent scolding kids.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Rayman thing is absolutely just a coincidence and means nothing at all

Still can't unsee him though
Honestly I don't get why people are getting annoyed when people point it out. I haven't really seen anyone use it as a point that he's coming or is DLC and it's a funny thing to see and even imagine. Really I'm surprised how sour people are being whenever people bring up little theories and weird stuff like the Rayman thing. It's like if it's not a leak from something somewhat reliable or something officially announce then the conversation should be shut down or we're crazy dumb Smash fans

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Trust really doesn't have anything to do with it. After explaining the theory Geno says he thinks it's probably fake, but it's weird and interesting. He strikes me as a guy who likes to have fun imagining possibilities but doesn't go overboard.

PushDustin is a great translator and does probably some of the highest quality research into Sakurai and his opinions, but he doesn't exactly have a track record of having any inside information. He just constantly tells people to temper their expectations. Good advice if delivered sparingly, but it gets kind of tiring to hear after awhile. I get that with every stupid theory he probably has a ton of dumb kids @ him, so he feels obligated to say something about it. Still, he could just take a break or mute his mentions if it truly bothers him. He often comes across as a tired parent scolding kids.
PushDustin also just uses common sense and doesn't get caught up in speculation.

The Google Theory isn't weird and interesting. It's classic fandom nonsense of latching on to literally any scrap no matter how nonsensical. All it's missing is loz18 destroying his online credibility for the sake of chairs.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You guys should really watch Geno's video on this cause you have a fundamental misunderstanding about how this theory was crafted. I still think it's incredibly likely to be a fake because I think Square is probably getting another rep (whether it be Erdrick or not), but someone didn't just randomly google "artorias". This was the result of a group of people working the better part of a day to type in A TON of names in a rather systematic process.

And there's a reason people throw curveball characters into leaks like this. Sakurai likes to throw curveballs sometimes.
But even then, we know Sakurai usually goes for protagonists first. It'd be like picking Morgana over Joker.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid we had a dinner chair where in the fabric I could see a picture of Link screaming. It was pretty uncanny.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
PushDustin also just uses common sense and doesn't get caught up in speculation.

The Google Theory isn't weird and interesting. It's classic fandom nonsense of latching on to literally any scrap no matter how nonsensical. All it's missing is loz18 destroying his online credibility for the sake of chairs.

I find messing around with Google's ad algorithm to be weird and interesting. But to each their own.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Google theory isn't doing it for me. I used to do Google ads for the small company I worked for years ago.

Doing some quick searches logged in and in America, I get an ad just searching for the full title, if I drop super, and if I change ultimate to switch (this one gives ads for where to purchase). If I add any other words to it, the game doesn't show. Why would this be? Because their marketing is only looking for when people search the game because it means you're looking to buy it. Search 'smash Bros dlc' and there's a Walmart ad for the fighters pass. This means they're looking to target keywords for people wanting to purchase, not those looking for other info. It's also likely because you get a lot of other content naturally, while searching to buy Joker leads right to the Smash DLC page as the number one result. They wouldn't buy ads for just these character names, as people are looking for how to play as them rather than purchasing the content.

This to me screams most likely fake and I'd bet it'll disappear soon because of the prankster hitting their threshold for the ad cost. This might be why it's only showing up for people not logged in too, so it's less likely to generate so it'll stay up longer.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Google theory isn't doing it for me. I used to do Google ads for the small company I worked for years ago.

Doing some quick searches logged in and in America, I get an ad just searching for the full title, if I drop super, and if I change ultimate to switch (this one gives ads for where to purchase). If I add any other words to it, the game doesn't show. Why would this be? Because their marketing is only looking for when people search the game because it means you're looking to buy it. Search 'smash Bros dlc' and there's a Walmart ad for the fighters pass. This means they're looking to target keywords for people wanting to purchase, not those looking for other info. It's also likely because you get a lot of other content naturally, while searching to buy Joker leads right to the Smash DLC page as the number one result. They wouldn't buy ads for just these character names, as people are looking for how to play as them rather than purchasing the content.

This to me screams most likely fake and I'd bet it'll disappear soon because of the prankster hitting their threshold for the ad cost. This might be why it's only showing up for people not logged in too, so it's less likely to generate so it'll stay up longer.
I don't see how any of that is relevant to the leak. The story is that on European VPNs and with no Google account logged in you would get an ad for the Fighter Pass by looking up those 4 characters with Smash Bros Ultimate.

I'm not seeing the point about targetted ads against this supposed leak.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
one thing I noticed when I was fucking around with it last night was that it didn't seem to pull up the ad when the terms were reversed (ie "smash bros ultimate doom slayer") which suggests to me that whoever set this up did so on those four strings exactly ("artorias smash bros ultimate," "doom slayer smash bros ultimate," "banjo kazooie smash bros ultimate," "ryu hayabusa smash bros ultimate"), probably in part to minimize the number of people pulling it up unintentionally, since that costs more money

to reiterate what I said before
My feeling is there's a solid chance some troll may have bought this ad to show on these four searches specifically. "Google algorithms" doesn't seem right given it's these specific four characters and no one else, and I can't think of any good reason for someone to think to plug in fuckin' Artorias for this thing if they just had happened to stumble upon it by accident

May 30, 2018
Google Theory is fake simply on the grounds that the roster is complete trash

Seriously, they go big and out of left field with Joker at the VGAs, and we're supposed to buy the rest of the Fighter pass is made up of either dead 3rd party chars or literally who?? Characters

Ryu would be cool tho

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Google Theory is fake simply on the grounds that the roster is complete trash

Seriously, they go big and out of left field with Joker at the VGAs, and we're supposed to buy the rest of the Fighter pass is made up of either dead 3rd party chars or literally who?? Characters

Ryu would be cool tho

So in your mind, Joker is a big deal, but Doom Slayer is "literally who"? Most of the normie online reaction to the Joker VGA reveal was "literally who?"

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spending actual money to run fake ads to fuck with the Smash fanbase seemed like a bridge too far until I remembered the Grinch leak guy pretended to be an actual employee of a company to fuck with people.

May 30, 2018
So in your mind, Joker is a big deal, but Doom Slayer is "literally who"? Most of the normie online reaction to the Joker VGA reveal was "literally who?"

I had to google him and Artorias so yes. Hell this doomguy looks like he could be in Halo or any other shooter, nothing distinct about him.

Joker is niche, but at least he fits with Smash and should set the tone for the rest of the pass being exciting picks

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Spending actual money to run fake ads to fuck with the Smash fanbase seemed like a bridge too far until I remembered the Grinch leak guy pretended to be an actual employee of a company to fuck with people.

Yeah, the lengths that the Grinch Leaker went to means there really are no mountains that trolls are not willing to climb to make a fake leak. Hard to believe in anything other than the heart of the cards at this point.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Artorias is a massive who for anyone who has never played Dark Souls. Literally no debate to be had here. At least protagonists like Joker will be known by people who are into games even if they've not played Persona 5.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If there is any third-party secondary character that deserves to be his own unique fighter, I think it should be Tails. He's the popular sidekick to one of gaming's largest icons, and he's always been there ever since his hero's second game. He even got a few obscure spin-off titles of his own. He can do everything Sonic can do, but he's capable of so much more. There's also a speed and height difference that would be a pretty big deal gameplay-wise. He won't be in the fighters pass, but I would like him to be a fighter in the future.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Artorias is a massive who for anyone who has never played Dark Souls. Literally no debate to be had here. At least protagonists like Joker will be known by people who are into games even if they've not played Persona 5.

I had to explain what Persona even was to about 50% of my avid video game playing friends. Now that he's in Smash, they've all watched Youtube videos and have become "Persona experts". Meanwhile, because all of them have watched at least one Dark Souls lore video, they all know at least vaguely who Artorias is (that one Dark Souls boss).

Everything is relative and it's really difficult without direct polling data to gauge exactly how well known a character is, unless they're like Mario levels of recognizable. There's a reason why big companies like Nintendo rely so heavily on surveys and market research divisions.

Last edited:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Artorias is officially the first time a character has suddenly become the focus of Smash speculation and I've had no fucking clue who they are

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
artorias needs to be real so i can take my spite re: zelda characters in smash to the next level

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Never played Dark Souls, but after watching a lore video (this one), I'm cool with Artorias if his final smash summons Sif. That's the giant dog's name, right?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
All 3rd parties in so far are all main protagonists or are well known character of their respective games. The only deviances are Richter and Ken whom are echos. Solaire would make more sense than the DLC character.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
All 3rd parties in so far are all main protagonists or are well known character of their respective games. The only deviances are Richter and Ken whom are echos. Solaire would make more sense than the DLC character.
You know, this (very dubious) theory got me thinking: wouldn't a playable boss be the BEST way to represent Dark Souls? I mean, when you think about Dark Souls, three key things that probably come to your mind are the dark aesthetics and atmosphere, the lore and the hard-ass bosses. Artorias embodies all three.

I could easily see Sakurai taking up the challenge of designing a character that feels like a boss fight for the people fighting against them (while still keeping it balanced).

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
You know, this (very dubious) theory got me thinking: wouldn't a playable boss be the BEST way to represent Dark Souls? I mean, when you think about Dark Souls, three key things that probably come to your mind are the dark aesthetics and atmosphere, the lore and the hard-ass bosses. Artorias embodies all three.

I could easily see Sakurai taking up the challenge of designing a character that feels like a boss fight for the people fighting against them (while still keeping it balanced).

I agree 100%, people underestimate Sakurai's ability to do crazy shit cause he thinks its cool. He operates on the rule of cool.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
You know, this (very dubious) theory got me thinking: wouldn't a playable boss be the BEST way to represent Dark Souls? I mean, when you think about Dark Souls, the three key things that probably come to your mind are the dark aesthetics and atmosphere, the lore and the hard-ass bosses. Artorias has all three.

I know you're half joking but like Gwyn is right there

even i know who gwyn is and i never watched a single lore video!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I know you're half joking but like Gwyn is right there

even i know who gwyn is and i never watched a single lore video!
...I wasn't actually joking though? I legitimately think they could go with a boss for the Dark Souls rep (even if the Google Theory is wrong).

That's what fighting against and playing as Ganondorf feels like.
But Ganondorf is an easy modern Zelda boss with tons of exploitable weaknesses; we need a REAL playable boss in Smash.

Okay, NOW i'm half-joking r_n

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

I getcha. Would be great for finally having a non good guy 3rd party.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
So there's now a theory that Rayman was frozen by another character.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you your future DLC (and indie) rep!

900861-cirno_24.jpg

Cirno from Touhou is the strongest!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.