• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote your next subtitle for DT20

• Meh Meh!

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • Blushy Smashy

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • To Be This Good Takes Aegis

Votes: 40 27.0%
  • You've Heard Of Sword Fighters Now Get Ready For Fighting Sword

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Double the Anime, Double the Sword

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • A New Aegis Upon Us.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • A New Aegis Among Us

Votes: 18 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So you're saying the Pokemon rep will be Mega Empoleon from the Gen 4 remakes?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I stand by what I said about a Sword/Shied Pokémon's chances not too long ago. Yes, the spirit event hurt their chances considerably. But given the specific circumstances surrounding said spirit event (it was likely planned out around the time of E3 2019 given the chosen Pokémon, about the same time FP2 was greenlit), I'm not gonna completely rule out the possibility of a Galar Pokémon.

They're definitely not a given or even likely at this point, but there's still a chance. The same can't be said for the spirit events from Resident Evil onwards. Though to be honest, I'd put Rex & Pyra/Mythra as more likely than a Sword/Shield Pokémon at this point (albeit slightly).

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I remain skeptical that a Gen 8 Pokémon is happening despite everyone trying to rationalize why it will. If they were going to do it, it feels like they would while Sword & Shield was in its hype cycle for synergy.
I'm skeptical too, but stifling discussion or casting doubt whenever Pokémon is mentioned is pointless, especially when we have no real information to go on. It's not like anyone here is convinced that a new Pokémon is a shoo-in. We're just having fun discussing the possibility.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I mean, how many times have different Nintendo series taken over third party series before.

Mario had a DDR game once.
Zelda has had two Musou games and a Crypt of the Necrodancer sequel.
Pokemon has Pokken.
Fire Emblem also has a Musou.

Now, obviously we all agree that Kirby Musou is a hard lock for the next Nintendo Musou game, but what other franchise invasions could we see next? And why will it be Arc System Works' Joy Mech Fight reboot?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I said "plausible," but I adore Dunsparce so you get a pass.

Congratulations, its counter is Glare, which works like Sephiroth's counter in that it comes out whether you attack it or not, and it stuns you in place for a few seconds but doesn't do a great deal of damage!

Ok, so now we just need four more specials and we can get Dunsparce into the game!

I'm not saying anyone's wrong to consider maximum synergy between SwSh's release dates and Smash and how that comes across when there's been plenty of time to include a Pokemon that has seemingly been ignored, I'm just saying every time we try to get into Sakurai's head and predict a character's placement based on what makes sense from our limited perspective we inevitably fuck around and find out.

Agreed. This second wave of DLC has been kinda all over the place. Debatably none of the three we've gotten so far are promotion-based.

As an aside, has Sakurai ever been asked why there's no Echo fighter DLC?

Aug 12, 2019
I stand by what I said about a Sword/Shied Pokémon's chances not too long ago. Yes, the spirit event hurt their chances considerably. But given the specific circumstances surrounding said spirit event (it was likely planned out around the time of E3 2019 given the chosen Pokémon, about the same time FP2 was greenlit), I'm not gonna completely rule out the possibility of a Galar Pokémon.

They're definitely not a given or even likely at this point, but there's still a chance. The same can't be said for the spirit events from Resident Evil onwards. Though to be honest, I'd put Rex & Pyra/Mythra as more likely than a Sword/Shield Pokémon at this point (albeit slightly).

I don't buy the argument that Pokemon was planned and so planned it couldn't just be pulled. It's really odd to justify Resident Evil as out but then say Pokemon absolutely had to have Spirits when Sword/Shield that came out like it did and not just have DLC earlier if it was planned. Like, just tell Game Freak, yo, we'll get a new Pokemon out next year and I'm sure they'd be more than happy. The fact that we went through all of 2020 without a Pokemon also makes them even less likely IMO. It'd be really weird for TPC to insist on a Pokemon Spirit event that coordinated with the release of Sword/Shield but then not do the same with the actual Pokemon to be paired with either expansion pack for those games.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I know this has been discussed here before, but I continue to believe that a heavily Smash-inspired game comprised entirely of Pokemon would be a worthwhile endeavor.
I'm of the opinion that Pokken was dropped by a lot of people because they assumed it'd be casual friendly like Smash when it was, in reality, a fighting-y fighting game.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is a series that doesn't need to tie into anything, because even though it has its marquee games, there's constant Pokemon content being released. There's the anime, there's movies, there's Pokemon Go, there's a bunch of interim games like Snap and United, and at this point it's basically an annual franchise, so there's always SOMETHING going on.

Like if they chose to line up Cinderace's reveal with the DP remakes, would that be that harebrained? Is that character going to be less relevant? It's Pokemon - they can pick any vaguely recognizable one and it's going to be better known than 90% of other video game characters.

Pokemon and Mario are two series where a new character is always timely.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If character 4 winds up being Pokémon, a worthwhile consideration for "why did they only wait until the back half of the pass to add it" is to think at it from a different angle.

SwSh moved 1.3M last quarter despite being a one year old game at this point. If you consider the fact that sales are also fueled by the holiday drive, it makes a lot of sense to have a Pokémon character be the one that's aimed right after the holidays. Many people are just now getting their Switch, and those newcomers who played SwSh will be able to see "hey look, a character from the game I got over the holidays is gonna get into this other game". Nintendo aren't in this business without full consideration of how they expect their software to sell, and Gen 8 in general constitutes one of the expected evergreens that still doesn't have playable representation in Smash.

There's also a lot of other factors to consider; "why wasn't a Pokémon out before Min Min?" It makes sense to get Min Min out first because by the time she's repped, her game would've already been out long after it's been in the mainstream, and it also kicks off Smash DLC with the novelty of a new franchise entering the fray. SwSh would've had a marketing cycle persistent throughout the year with its own DLC so it would have plenty of time to still have mindshare while Smash is running concurrently. After Min Min, they go for the big third party hitter Steve to get the mainstream press and maximize DLC sales further. Then you get to character 3; by that point you could entertain throwing a Pokémon in there, but you're also looking at the tentative schedule of the character releasing in Q4, which is the holiday period. You can also anticipate that maybe, you can secure a slot for another big marketing power move through The Game Awards. Go for Sephiroth, who this year received a remake of the most coveted JRPG in history. Now you've got three more slots left that would be expected to cover 2021, with the earliest one being shortly after the Holidays when Nintendo's no doubt pushed a whole lot of new games and consoles. Oh and lest we forget, Pokémon is going to be celebrating a major anniversary milestone this year, and holding off a character for Smash for this purpose is as good of an excuse as any when the marketing apparatus is gonna be firing on all cylinders this year.

Do I think a Pokémon is super likely? Not exactly, but I'd like to brace for the possibility that it's gonna happen because people really like to get their hopes up that it won't happen, and that's how they get themselves disappointed. I also think if a Pokémon does happen, the best bet is for it to be the next character because it's kind of the most appropriate period to go for. If a new Pokémon fails to be the next character, well, then I won't be so sure, but I'll still hold onto my expectations just to be safe and not get disappointed when the game fails to add whatever other dream candidate that got encroached.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I mean, how many times have different Nintendo series taken over third party series before.

Pokemon has Pokken.

Now, obviously we all agree that Kirby Musou is a hard lock for the next Nintendo Musou game, but what other franchise invasions could we see next? And why will it be Arc System Works' Joy Mech Fight reboot?

Umm excuse me but we all know Pikmin 4 is now a Musuo game.

(It would be insane (in a good way) if the first third person Kirby game was a Musuo)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Pokemon has Pokken.

Chibi-Robo: Hitman Edition

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
They're so infrequent now that I forget to post about them, but today's Mario game is that baseball one on the GameCube.

Wow. Baseball. So fun. Not that I think Mario Cricket would be any better though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're so infrequent now that I forget to post about them, but today's Mario game is that baseball one on the GameCube.

Wow. Baseball. So fun.

My grandparents bought me this when I was 12, I think for a good report card or something otherwise school related.

It's not really a good game but even when I got surprise gifts as a kid like that from family members I never ended up with like, Dingo Pictures presents: Disney plagiarism.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
all mario sports games are boring and stupid

but they should still let chargin chuck play tennis

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Me and my friends loved Mario baseball back in the day. I would never go back to it because I'm sure it wouldn't hold up.

It was neat that it had playable Piantas and Noki's, though.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Mario Sports Mix is my favorite sports spinoff hands down. Something about the presentation, sound effects and all that;

I don't even care about the Square characters in the roster; I just really like the energy of that game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was one of those poor sods who owned both version of Mario Tennis back in the day.

I was very happy, porting my custom character from the GBC game to the Nintendo 64. I thought it was like magic, like my Gameboy somehow transported my character into the N64, instead of a character already being programmed into the game that only unlocked after you buy a completely separate game for $40.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Wow. Baseball. So fun. Not that I think Mario Cricket would be any better though.

this game was the first appearance of many modern Mario enemy designs, oddly enough

Enemies like Dry Bones, Magikoopa and Hammer Bros had their modern NSMB-esque designs first in this game

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It was really nice of Nintendo to release that demo for Mario Tennis Aces on the Wii U.

Shame they cut Sprixie Princess from the final release though.

I was one of those poor sods who owned both version of Mario Tennis back in the day.

I was very happy, porting my custom character from the GBC game to the Nintendo 64. I thought it was like magic, like my Gameboy somehow transported my character into the N64, instead of a character already being programmed into the game that only unlocked after you buy a completely separate game for $40.
If only there was a Game Boy version of Smash 64 that let you "transfer" over characters.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was really nice of Nintendo to release that demo for Mario Tennis Aces on the Wii U.

Shame they cut Sprixie Princess from the final release though.

If only there was a Game Boy version of Smash 64 that let you "transfer" over characters.

I was also the only person on Earth who had the GBC Mickey racing game that tied into Mickey's Speedway USA on N64, thus having the great honour of unlocking Huey in the latter.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
sumo wrestlers have terrible recovery options
ed0e339f54a62d1295cfdfwjwu.gif

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if people think my references to Valken are just another mecha fan thing or the result of seeing a bunch of Assault Suits and Assault Suits adjascent stuff in pictures of Sakurai's games and figures and thinking it's funny to imagine him as constantly fighting back his obsession with random 16 bit cult classic games.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
New Horizons is tormenting me. I want Eugene on my island; and the last two campsite visitors have been Koalas that aren't Eugene 😔

I just want to have a smug koala on my island; is that too much to ask?

Still better air fighters that Little Mac.
I want Audie. I want the rare peppy wolf!

Status
Not open for further replies.