• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote your next subtitle for DT20

• Meh Meh!

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • Blushy Smashy

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • To Be This Good Takes Aegis

Votes: 40 27.0%
  • You've Heard Of Sword Fighters Now Get Ready For Fighting Sword

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Double the Anime, Double the Sword

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • A New Aegis Upon Us.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • A New Aegis Among Us

Votes: 18 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
You know they'd implement Obstruct as another counter attack, right
Cinderace learns Counter.
Toxtricity gets Swagger and Taunt.
Sirfetch'd has access to Detect.
Grimmsnarl's False Surrender.

Name a plausible addition and I'll name you a move that can and will be interpreted as a counter. You won't escape.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I don't know why people are complaining about the amount of pokemon. They are all very unique from each others and have a great moveset potential.

I think the problem with Pokemon in general is there's so many of them that getting a new one could easily be either someone's favorite or a character they never ever use. Like, I love Pokemon, but I've never willingly played as Lucario or Incineroar. It's easier to root for, say, a given like another DK rep (Dixie!) or something with a more obvious outcome.

Cinderace is the best of the three final evos. Twink spy is second. Ugly gorilla can stay home.

I picked Cinderace and liked Ciderace and still would not particularly want them in Smash. I'd much prefer something bizarre and out there. Gimme Eiscue or give me death!

Name a plausible addition and I'll name you a move that can and will be interpreted as a counter. You won't escape.

Dunsparce.
I would pay $100 to play as it in Smash.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Sword and Shield might be old news now, but they hadn't been released yet at the time of FP2's planning. It's hard to coordinate promotional content in fighting games since characters take a very long time to design, implement, and balance. Sakurai had to play an early version of Three Houses to create Byleth, but the character still released six months after Three Houses came out.
While you're right, I think it's worth mentioning that Three Houses was still getting DLC when Byleth was announced.

The big expansion even got a trailer on the same day.

I think if a Pokemon was going to be in the second pass, they would have made an effort to have it announced within SwSh's DLC cycle.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Toxtricity will get Boomburst as a chargeable (non-storable) down B. When fully charged the move will release a large shockwave that's accompanied by a grimy reverberated bass drop sound effect. Just like in Detective Pikachu!

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Dunsparce.
I would pay $100 to play as it in Smash.
I said "plausible," but I adore Dunsparce so you get a pass.

Congratulations, its counter is Glare, which works like Sephiroth's counter in that it comes out whether you attack it or not, and it stuns you in place for a few seconds but doesn't do a great deal of damage!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And the games are still selling well. Crown Tundra's only three months old.

Ultimate released two years after Sun/Moon, but "a new Pokémon" was still penciled into the project plan.

As has been pointed out, a Three Houses DLC trailer was released the day Byleth was announced. Sword & Shield is done and has been for months. If they wanted to cash in on the Pokémon hype, they're a little late.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Like I just said a few days ago, Gen 8 Pokemon is basically like a serial killer in a slasher movie that just keeps getting back up. They could probably do three more SW/SH spirit events and there would still be a chance of it getting a character.

Pretty much the only way to debunk a new Pokemon coming this pass is to wait it out and see if they're any of the three remaining spots.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

if Protect counts in addition to Detect then that's basically everything

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
After this next Challenger Pack i'm going to say the chances of a Sword and Shield rep become a little more slim. They missed out on releasing them while Sword and Shield's DLC support was active; and missing out on that big anniversary tie-in, while promotional efforts will begin to move more towards the Diamond and Pearl remakes, will be another hit against them i'd say.

If a Pokemon rep happens in the last two Challenger Packs i'd only be confused about why they weren't pushed forward, lol.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
If a Pokemon rep happens in the last two Challenger Packs i'd only be confused about why they weren't pushed forward, lol.

Because that's how they get you by the balls

Frontload the pass with the cool hype picks like Steve and Sephiroth to get people on board and then drop the less exciting characters like a new Pokemon or Fire Emblem by the time everyone's already bought the pass.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Frontload the pass with the cool hype picks like Steve and Sephiroth to get people on board and then drop the less exciting characters like a new Pokemon or Fire Emblem by the time everyone's already bought the pass.

They started the pass with Min Min.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Crown Tundra isn't even a full four months old. SwSh is still pretty fresh all things considered.

Not that I think this as a discussion is all that important when the games are only a part of the Pokémon marketing apparatus. This generation is going to be continually pushed for some time. Getting a Gen 8 Pokémon isn't just promotion for a game.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think people are just set in their ways to discuss Pokémon even though it really doesn't look like it's happening this round.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
They prioritized a 3 year old first-party game that didn't exactly set the world on fire. (ARMS did fine, but it's no Pokémon.)
I know, I just find it hilarious that they seemed to think it was a reveal worth pre-announcing and making people wait in (very moderate) anticipation for.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ARMS is several years older than Sword/Shield, so I would imagine Min Min would be released long before a hypothetical new Pokémon.

By the time Min Min was released, Sword & Shield was already well over six months old. My point is they prioritized ARMS over Pokémon.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
If we do get a Gen 8 Pokemon as the last DLC fighter revealed, we'd come full circle.

Because Mewtwo was the first DLC character announced for Smash 4.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
When you think about all of the Pokemon who aren't in Smash, clearly Smash is showing a lot of restraint.

Maybe someone made this joke already but fuck you I'm not scrolling up now.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu sold more copies last quarter than many full on new games sell in their entire life

Pokemon games don't really "die" until they literally stop printing them

4 months after the last DLC released is like nothing in Pokemon time

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
By the time Min Min was released, Sword & Shield was already well over six months old. My point is they prioritized ARMS over Pokémon.
I honestly don't get your point. This is like saying Banjo & Kazooie were "prioritized" over Byleth because they released first and closer to Three Houses' release date. That may be true, but we still ended up getting both characters.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
When you think about all of the Pokemon who aren't in Smash, clearly Smash is showing a lot of restraint.

Maybe someone made this joke already but fuck you I'm not scrolling up now.
I know this has been discussed here before, but I continue to believe that a heavily Smash-inspired game comprised entirely of Pokemon would be a worthwhile endeavor.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
remember the brief period when a ton of the fake 4chan leaks were banking on them doing the ARMS-style list of potential characters reveal again for the next character, for some reason

then it was just Steve

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't get your point. This is like saying Banjo & Kazooie were "prioritized" over Byleth because they released first and closer to Three Houses' release date. That may be true, but we still ended up getting both characters.

I remain skeptical that a Gen 8 Pokémon is happening despite everyone trying to rationalize why it will. If they were going to do it, it feels like they would while Sword & Shield was in its hype cycle for synergy.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

We need to be real here. I get that it's fun to doompost about how Smash DLC cycles have ended with real "disapointing" picks like Corrin and Byleth, but really, they couldn't have come any earlier in their DLC cycles.

Corrin was decided on after Fates was released in Japan in June 2015. They were revealed in December 2015 and released in early February 2016; all before the North American launch of Fates later in February (and according to Sakurai, that release timing in-between the JP and international launches of Fates was part of the reason why Corrin was selected). Also keep in mind that Bayonetta, despite being the last character revealed for Smash 4, was in the works earlier than Corrin was; they were the last fighter to enter production for Smash 4 because of the release timing of their game.

Byleth was decided on in November 2018, but according to Sakurai only began production when he gained access to a near-final build of Three Houses a short time before launch. There was no way Byleth could've released any earlier than they did, considering Sakurai wasn't even able to wait for the final release in order to keep up their production schedule.

Sword and Shield has been out for over a year now. If they wanted to make a rep from it happen ASAP they could've released in place of Steve or Sephiroth. That isn't to say that a Gen 8 rep absolutely won't happen because they've waited too long though; like I said I just think the chances of it decrease if they miss out on anniversary synergy.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We need to be real here. I get that it's fun to doompost about how Smash DLC cycles have ended with real "disapointing" picks like Corrin and Byleth, but really, they couldn't have come any earlier in their DLC cycles.

Corrin was decided on after Fates was released in Japan in June 2015. They were revealed in December 2015 and released in early February 2016; all before the North American launch of Fates later in February (and according to Sakurai, that release timing in-between the JP and international launches of Fates was part of the reason why Corrin was selected). Also keep in mind that Bayonetta, despite being the last character revealed for Smash 4, was in the works earlier than Corrin was; they were the last fighter to enter production for Smash 4 because of the release timing of their game.

Byleth was decided on in November 2018, but according to Sakurai only began production when he gained access to a near-final build of Three Houses a short time before launch. There was no way Byleth could've released any earlier than they did, considering Sakurai wasn't even able to wait for the final release in order to keep up their production schedule.

Sword and Shield has been out for over a year now. If they wanted to make a rep from it happen ASAP they could've done it two challenger packs ago.

EnchantingExemplaryHoverfly-max-1mb.gif

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Doth the promotion pick promote the game from where the character is from, or doth it promote the Smash Bros/the Challenge pack itself?

Such mysteries life holds.

*ahem*

Anyways, I don't really want a S&S Pokemon. It's either one of the three final forms of the starters, or one of the DLC headliners, and I'm not feeling any of them really. Still could easily happen though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying anyone's wrong to consider maximum synergy between SwSh's release dates and Smash and how that comes across when there's been plenty of time to include a Pokemon that has seemingly been ignored, I'm just saying every time we try to get into Sakurai's head and predict a character's placement based on what makes sense from our limited perspective we inevitably fuck around and find out.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying anyone's wrong to consider maximum synergy between SwSh's release dates and Smash and how that comes across when there's been plenty of time to include a Pokemon that has seemingly been ignored, I'm just saying every time we try to get into Sakurai's head and predict a character's placement based on what makes sense from our limited perspective we inevitably fuck around and find out.

We're not trying to get into Sakurai's head. We're trying to get into the heads of Nintendo executives who chose the roster and pressured Sakurai into adding Steve/Minecraft.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Rex and Pyra are the next characters and everyone sighs a breath of relief that Pokémon seems to have been deconfirmed then at the E3 2021 online Direct the one more thing announcement is Cinderace coming to Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.