• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote your next subtitle for DT20

• Meh Meh!

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • Blushy Smashy

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • To Be This Good Takes Aegis

Votes: 40 27.0%
  • You've Heard Of Sword Fighters Now Get Ready For Fighting Sword

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Double the Anime, Double the Sword

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • A New Aegis Upon Us.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • A New Aegis Among Us

Votes: 18 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Going by the Retronauts definition of "10 years", Minecraft is technically retro if we include the Alpha/Beta period (which is when I first played it).

Edit: Also, today is the last day I have to wear this dumb avatar bet badge of shame

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Legends say that this gif will automatically repel all Boomers within its general vicinity.

MarvelousSoulfulAsianwaterbuffalo-max-1mb.gif
You'll need to do a lot better than that sunshine if ya want to get rid of me.

FBqP2WJ.gif

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Some juicy quotes from the original thread.

Absolute worst fucking waste of space on the fighters pass. Nobody unironically wanted this.
And yeah, I understand children like Minecraft. Children would probably be excited if fucking Fornite man got into Smash too. Doesn't mean it makes sense or fits. Smash Bros would fucking suck if Sakurai just added whatever characters are popular with kids.
I think Smash has officially jumped the shark
Fuck.

Poor devs, thanks Nintendo.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Going by the Retronauts definition of "10 years", Minecraft is technically retro if we include the Alpha/Beta period (which is when I first played it).

Edit: Also, today is the last day I have to wear this dumb avatar bet badge of shame
Why not go with the proper dictionary definition since these Retronauts clearly have no idea what they're talking about?

Retro - similar to styles, fashions, etc. from the past.

No need to worry about age since it's actually a word for new things in the style of older things so it's relative to itself i.e. Mega Man 9 is a retro game cos it was in the style of an older title, Mega Man 2.

Also, it's a month of wearing the avatar from when you don it, not a month since I set it.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I was disappointed by Steve in the moment but even by the time the day ended I got over it. The stuff that upset me more was the Sora/Travis stuff. It's weird to me that some people are STILL angry about Steve or Byleth.

I do think age range has nothing to do with it though. I'm probably one of the youngest people on this site and I really don't care about Minecraft. Steve is funny in Smash though.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
retro is a weird concept because NES games were considered retro around the time of the N64 but now it just seems to be a general catch-all for "pre-2000"

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of, let's take a moment to see who failed us during the month of January in our effort to spread love and peace with these avatars.
Opa-Pa
4pAAHzj.png

The world has been completely let down.

EDIT: And all that remains is one who didn't want to spread the love.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I do think age range has nothing to do with it though. I'm probably one of the youngest people on this site and I really don't care about Minecraft. Steve is funny in Smash though.

Yeah this. I think I'm one of the younger people on this site but I just don't really care about Minecraft. And Minecraft is a 10 years old series at this point anyway

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Speaking of, let's take a moment to see who failed us during the month of January in our effort to spread love and peace with these avatars.
Opa-Pa
4pAAHzj.png

Batty~
TMM89um.png

DimitriLH
4XuPZhN.png

The world has been completely let down.

EDIT: Some love has been recovered!

I thought that was just a voting poll.... owo

Oh well, ill take....the third one?

Edit: nvm saw names lol, wanted that one ANYWAYS

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The reactions towards Jonesy getting in will be quite the sight for the next Smash Bros.

That is, if Fortnite is still popular by then...

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Nobody even seems to use Steve online

like for as worried as people were about Minecraft clashing with Smash's art style, it didn't seem to really matter much

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The most jarring art part of the Minecraft content is honestly just how flat and low res the background is on the MC stage

it looks pretty bad. It seems to be a lower res than the other 2D backgrounds and there's no animated parts of it like Great Plateau to make it seem alive

the rest of the content, including the actual stage part, looks fine and fits well

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
When your assist trophy is revealed.

vlcsnap-00173lokqi.png

vlcsnap-001752xjjx.png

When DLC roster is leaked and you're not in it.

vlcsnap-002054gjxs.png

vlcsnap-00206jzkcg.png

vlcsnap-00208vwkco.png

vlcsnap-00210u0jva.png

vlcsnap-00211iok1d.png

(I just haven't seen an anime in a while and this animation felt very Waluigi-ish to me.)

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Mechanically-complex characters in general see less use online I've noticed

Rosalina, Bayonetta, Steve, Olimar, I've barely seen any online in either Smash 4 (Steve for obvious reasons lol) or Ultimate. Dunno if it's lag or just wanting something simpler for battling tons of opponents whose mains and play styles you don't know

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why not go with the proper dictionary definition since these Retronauts clearly have no idea what they're talking about?

Retro - similar to styles, fashions, etc. from the past.

No need to worry about age since it's actually a word for new things in the style of older things so it's relative to itself i.e. Mega Man 9 is a retro game cos it was in the style of an older title, Mega Man 2.

Also, it's a month of wearing the avatar from when you don it, not a month since I set it.

In two years, Minecraft will be as old as the difference between megaman 8 and Megaman 9s releases. It's also more than two generations old, so it's definitely retro at this point 🤷‍♂️

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When your assist trophy is revealed.

vlcsnap-00173lokqi.png

vlcsnap-001752xjjx.png

When DLC roster is leaked and you're not in it.

vlcsnap-002054gjxs.png

vlcsnap-00206jzkcg.png

vlcsnap-00208vwkco.png

vlcsnap-00210u0jva.png

vlcsnap-00211iok1d.png

(I just haven't seen an anime in a while and this animation felt very Waluigi-ish to me.)

I'm more reminded of Boyacky from Tatsunoko's Time Bokan series, personally.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I'm more reminded of Boyacky from Tatsunoko's Time Bokan series, personally.
i always got the impression that Waluigi was inspired by the tall and thin minions from Time Bokan, as a compliment to Wario having similar traits to the squat and strong ones (along with Iyami from Osomatsu-kun, in waluigi's case)

if only Wapeach came to fruition, then they could have had a Doronjo to complete the gang

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i always got the impression that Waluigi was inspired by the tall and thin minions from Time Bokan, as a compliment to Wario having similar traits to the squat and strong ones (along with Iyami from Osomatsu-kun, in waluigi's case)

if only Wapeach came to fruition, then they could have had a Doronjo to complete the gang

Okay now I want Time Bokan Wapeach

Someone get on that

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Heroes

Team Mario: Mario, Luigi, Peach
Team Wario: Wario, Waluigi, Captain Syrup

I don't know the other teams.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

In my mind, Syurp acts as the Doronjo Expy of the trio.

Fuck, I wish we had a new Wario Land.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
In two years, Minecraft will be as old as the difference between megaman 8 and Megaman 9s releases. It's also more than two generations old, so it's definitely retro at this point 🤷‍♂️
I think you misread my post. I'm saying that a retro game is just a game that is styled off of an older game so it becoming older has nothing to do with it being retro. Mega Man 9 was retro day one. This is a word that has existed long before games were a thing - as a prefix it means "going backwards" such as in the word retrofit. Basically a game could out tomorrow and be retro.

This is literally what the word means and it's only gaming circles that continuously misuse it and then argue what it means to be retro. If they actually looked in a dictionary for once they'd see it's pretty simple and no arguments would need to be made.

If you want a word to describe an old game there's a perfectly sound alternative; "old".

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My current wishlist is Estelle, Eggman, and...

Y'all ain't ready for sweetness.

28aa0f89511b2f3e174fd0b95c068d9df4de5043r1-506-285_hq.gif

The more I think about Alcremie in Smash the more I want it

Incredibly obvious alts, Fairy moveset potential, Gigantamax Final Smash, gets us out of the humanoid Pokémon rut. Wins all 'round. Only downside is that it's animated as running pretty slowly, but eh.

I'd also be very on board with Agumon, Tails, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Monster Hunter, Klonoa, and Yuri.

Deep pulls I'd love are Ayumi Tachibana and Kurisu from Steins;Gate.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly surprised how Mega Charizard X wasn't added as an Echo fighter. It's a great way to both re-use a model ready from the Wii U version and to bring back Rock Smash as moveset / bring back Charizard without the switching mechanic.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

We should have gotten Wapeach instead of Baby Rosalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.