• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Next DT Subtitle?

• Playing stocks over time

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 3 Stocks remaining

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • To be Continued...

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Amiibo Theory or Bust

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Your Smashing days are coming to an end

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I can Be Your One Winged Angel or Devil

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft buying out Bethesda really is one of the worst fucking things to happen in the game industry in a long time, because it's enabling shit like this every thread. It's disgusting.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who posts in this thread will eventually be acquired by Microsoft

If you have to ask the question "will they be bought by Microsoft?" the answer is always "yes, eventually"

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft buying Sega makes little sense to me, but what do I know. Yeah you'll get a lot of IPs, but like. They're mostly dead and the ones alive have their audiences somewhere else lol.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who posts in this thread will eventually be acquired by Microsoft

If you have to ask the question "will they be bought by Microsoft?" the answer is always "yes, eventually"
Coincidentally I have no idea how would my current pseudo-employer's employer get acquired by MS, and now that you said it, I kinda want to see it happen just to see the insanity.

If Platinum traded AC for W101... Nintendo got a steal...
Oh. Ohhhhhh.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if I'll still be into video games when Smash 6 happens?

I've found myself enjoying talking about them as oppose to playing them lol

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
MS won't be able to afford Sega once I've got Reddit to play the stonks game with Sega shares.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly confident that Astral Chain won't get a playable Smash fighter unless a sequel is in the works, and even then it's a bit of a long shot.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps, but their playable odds for next time went up by a decent amount.
waaaaat I shlee any other way would suuc knuckle on wood

If the next Smash is indeed a soft reboot, I'm half expecting ATs to be cut wholesale.

€: in hindsight that doesn't really have much to do with the re-read quoted post, sorry.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Astral Chain can very well just be another The Last Story; a one and done game that missed its chance to have a playable rep in Smash.

Oh and before someone gets really picky about The Last Story and starts going on about the differences, that's just a random example I plucked from the top of my head. Replace it with any one and done games that Nintendo has had numerous examples of over the years.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
AC's setting is what makes me really like it. Today i saw this and was like..damn, we need more good cyberpunk/futuristic settings with awesome outfits.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Astral Chain can very well just be another The Last Story; a one and done game that missed its chance to have a playable rep in Smash.

Oh and before someone gets really picky about The Last Story and starts going on about the differences, that's just a random example I plucked from the top of my head. Replace it with any one and done games that Nintendo has had numerous examples of over the years.
The Last Story indeed is a peculiar example for this sort of thing, so your preemptive defense here was well planned. Can you suggest a particularly suitable replacement?

For future reference, what I mean by this is my "The Last Story cover made me think this is a raunchy visual novel because of a pun" story. The only one of its kind, probably.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Astral Chain's got a real shot. It's not like there are a lot of other hugely successful new first party IPs that could get into Smash (beyond Ring Fit).

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what this ultimately entails as far as Astral Chain's chances in Smash is concerned, but Platinum had already gone on record saying that the game substantially outdid both PG and Nintendo's expectations (game was even sold out in a lot of territories for quite a while). The fact that Nintendo jumped onto getting the full rights is, if nothing else, a lot more telling in how much value they see in the series.

Which is funny considering the mental gymnastics some people tried to jump through in order to argue it wasn't successful.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Why would it be a long shot?
For the same reason Golden Gun still doesn't have a playable character. Selling a million units alone doesn't mean anything if the IP is left to die, doubly so if it's not an IP that EPD created. And considering Platinum's history with sequels, Astral Chain 2 isn't something I'd bet on seeing anytime soon.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
For the same reason Golden Gun still doesn't have a playable character. Selling a million units alone doesn't mean anything if the IP is left to die, doubly so if it's not an IP that EPD created. And considering Platinum's history with sequels, Astral Chain 2 isn't something I'd bet on seeing anytime soon.
Although I agree regarding the EPD favoritism, some elements of Golden Sun are co-owned. Astral Chain is now officially 100% Nintendo.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
my guess is Platinum sold the IP because they wanted some extra scratch and Nintendo bought it because they like having full ownership of IPs

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think Nintendo wants to do something with the IP. But it hasn't even been two years since it came out so I'm not surprised we haven't heard anything yet. (We're almost at the two year anniversary of the game's announcement.)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious whether the IP acquisition includes the character designs. The original character designs were made under license by Masakazu Katsura, who's in turn under contract by Shueisha, and required a separate credit. If Astral Chain did get repped in Smash, they'd most likely have to add them to the notation.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm curious whether the IP acquisition includes the character designs. The original character designs were made under license by Masakazu Katsura, who's in turn under contract by Shueisha, and required a separate credit. If Astral Chain did get repped in Smash, they'd most likely have to add them to the notation.
Shueisha, you say? One step closer to Goku in Smash

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Just to use Xenoblade as an example comparable to Astral Chain, I remember media outlets hailing it as "the JRPG of the generation," and there was a big coordinated push to get it localized through Operation Rainfall. It had a large online following, and fan art and memes (Reyn Time, buncha jokers) were all over the place. People were consistently talking about the game for years before a sequel was announced.

Astral Chain feels like it came and went without making much of an impact. I'm not speaking to the financial success or quality of the game -- it's just a very difficult uphill battle for a one-off non-EPD game to get a Smash character, and I don't think Astral Chain is currently in the place it needs to be for that to happen. It feels more like an assist trophy IP to me right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.