• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Next DT Subtitle?

• Playing stocks over time

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 3 Stocks remaining

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • To be Continued...

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Amiibo Theory or Bust

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Your Smashing days are coming to an end

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I can Be Your One Winged Angel or Devil

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Also I really wish they'd rename that track to "Simian Segue / Bonus Room Blitz"

It's weird how some of the DKC tracks are using their localized Japanese names instead of their original Rare names. All the "Jungle Level" tracks really should be named "DK Island Swing".

It's just weird because some of the other tracks are using their proper English names, like Stickerbush Symphony (which is called "Prickly Barrel Maze" in Japan) or Crocodile Cacophony ("Showdown! Cap'n K. Rool" in Japan).

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I liked Brawl. I wouldn't go back to play it now, but I played the shit out of it. Just like all the Smash games. I only hated SSE.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I went back to Brawl a few years ago and simply couldn't believe how long it takes to return to the ground after jumping

it's like playing Smash on the damn moon

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I've loved every single Smash Bros. game and outside of Smash 64, i've played each of them to unfathomable degrees. That said, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate litterally being the Ultimate Smash Smash Bros. kills any desire I have to play those games again.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I think that's also why I want the next game to be drastically different. At the end of the day these games all play pretty similarly and serve a similar purpose. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate can and would continue to exists as the game that perfected the (classic) Super Smash Bros. formula while a new game could start a sister/sequel series that isn't so concered with being a iterative thing.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized something really important.

ST Falcon.

Assault Suits Valken.

What could this mean for future of the Smash Bros franchise...?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized something really important.

ST Falcon.

Assault Suits Valken.

What could this mean for future of the Smash Bros franchise...?
fetchimage

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's also why I want the next game to be drastically different. At the end of the day these games all play pretty similarly and serve a similar purpose. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate can and would continue to exists as the game that perfected the (classic) Super Smash Bros. formula while a new game could start a sister/sequel series that isn't so concered with being a iterative thing.
On one hand, it's the obvious tactic when one's afraid of not going to top oneself

On other hand, I kinda don't think the money counting department at Ninny is going to allow downright not trying to top oneself when it seems to be the simplest way of getting noticed once one's big enough

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder if i went back to Melee and Brawl, which one i would prefer,
for me, they're both a little awkward. Melee is too fast and Brawl is sooooooo slloooowww

But also Melee is slower in places too, like flying through the air after being hit. It's really hard to go back to how older games did knockback after Ultimate made it nice and snappy

Melee's roster is pretty quaint at this point, too. A lot of staples missing there and it starts to be noticeable.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
While we're on the subject of Brawl, seeing as how I've been replaying Four Swords Adventures, can we talk about this obscure track selection?

Having almost entirely forgotten about FSA by Brawl's release, it seemed like an okay pick -- it's FSA representation and it's an upbeat version of a recurring series theme. (One that's generally gentle and slow, so it's a clever roundabout) Yet having finished the level in question, it only plays in...one screen. Right at the end, where all the villagers come out and thank you. My false memory told me you got to travel the restored village afterwards, but nope, most of the level's accompanied by this spooky ambience.

There were some other weird picks in that game's soundtrack -- *Preparing to Advance, Victory is Near, and Gritzy Desert come to mind -- but this one's fascinating to me in that I'm visualizing Sakurai combing through Four Swords Adventures for an appropriate song and went "eureka!" upon finishing. (Yes, sound archives and all that, but humor me here.)

*Really, I don't think anyone anticipated Yuka Tsujiyoko to arrange that 30-second prep menu from Sacred Stones, yet somehow it's still her best work for Smash; seriously, what happened with her instrument quality after that?

I always figured the thought process behind the village of the blue maiden was as you say, using a recurring theme within the series for smash and having a version that's more fast paced and fitting....if only they'd noticed it loops incredibly quickly because again, as you pointed out, its made for the very end of 2-2 (or was it 2-1?) of FSA after you spend all stage with a kinda slooooow and deliberately weird version of the main Kakariko motif. At the bottom of my music is goes, lest I get driven mad by the loop
Probably should've used this really

A lot of music additions from Brawl onwards are seemingly decided via being shiny and new, to represent something recent, usually this happens with rips but I expect this is why Gritzy Desert got slotted in along side stages sometimes leaning more on music that fit the theme (so a desert theme for mushroomy kingdom I guess), Yoko was willing to remix it and hey at least she didn't butcher her own work like "Try, Try Again" which still stings.

At least we can say preparing to advance was very appropriately placed in SSE.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The Oracle games, Minish Cap, Four Swords and Phantom Hourglass got forgotten for Zelda music, the only five main games in the series with no music (unless you want to count the Link's Awakening remake, I guess)

Handheld Zeldas get forgotten about, I guess (although all of those games have spirits)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Balan Wonderworld (a title that will be constantly misconstrued as "Wonderland") is like the closest a game has gotten to being directly for me and then failing right at the end.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the actual game part of Wonderworld always looked really rough to me, so it's not surprising.

It's a shame because the character designs are so lively and imaginative.

cos_sp.png

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I guess I should probably try the demo, but Balan Wonderworld is such a shame to look at. Appeals to me in plenty of little ways, but the end product isn't impressing at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Ive seen people talk about how great Adventure Mode is for Melee and honestly imo its....very repetitive. Its cool the first time but its very short and honestly redoing it multiple times for trophies gets real old ,it feels very barebones which im not surprised given how rushed Melee's development was. Subspace Emissary is by no means perfect and it has its issues but i think it does a better job at an adventure mode than Melee did (even tho i think the platforming isnt that great and it drags at the end )

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Looking a Balan Wonderworld art, I'm having flashbacks to some plant Pokemon mini-push we had a while ago; what was it named again?

€: it's Steenee. You'd think a Stan would remember.

€2: I'm so desperate for more 3D platformers that I'm going to give Balan Wonderworld's presentation a pass as long as gameplay won't annoy me.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ive seen people talk about how great Adventure Mode is for Melee and honestly imo its....very repetitive. Its cool the first time but its very short and honestly redoing it multiple times for trophies gets real old ,it feels very barebones which im not surprised given how rushed Melee's development was. Subspace Emissary is by no means perfect and it has its issues but i think it does a better job at an adventure mode than Melee did (even tho i think the platforming isnt that great and it drags at the end )
The gripes in that sense (elevating Melee's adventure mode) are either from people who don't care about single player, so it's just a polite way to say they didn't want it to exist, or actually complaints about the lack of game themes and references in the Subspace Emissary stages.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I got to be honest here, I never understood why Yuji Naka was the Sonic guy. He's was clearly a talented programmer, but I don't know why he's a big deal outside of that role.

Yu Suzuki? Directed tons of super interesting stuff that was ahead of its time, wrote the story of Shenmue. Yuji Naka? Directed Chu Chu Rocket and designed Girl's Garden.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Sonic really needs to pull his weight more with music inclusions. Not just from his own series either; Sonic Runners gives him a means to sneak in music from other series.

Sonic Adventure and Lost World already have them covered on the NiGHTS music, so that crossover isn't as important.

Oct 27, 2017
The gripes in that sense (elevating Melee's adventure mode) are either from people who don't care about single player, so it's just a polite way to say they didn't want it to exist, or actually complaints about the lack of game themes and references in the Subspace Emissary stages.
I found some of the enemies in that mode really wierd lol. They felt more bootleg than anything

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I got to be honest here, I never understood why Yuji Naka was the Sonic guy. He's was clearly a talented programmer, but I don't know why he's a big deal outside of that role.
it does bothers me when people refers him to as "Sonic's father", when in actuality we should be saying that more on Naoto Oshima and Hirokazu Yasuhara; --but that doesn't come close when Inafune got the reputation of being Mega Man's father... (even he said repeatedly he shouldn't be called that); It needed Mighty No 9 for people to stop parroting that.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I dunno, I thought Hey! Pikmin was great.

I always figured the thought process behind the village of the blue maiden was as you say, using a recurring theme within the series for smash and having a version that's more fast paced and fitting....if only they'd noticed it loops incredibly quickly because again, as you pointed out, its made for the very end of 2-2 (or was it 2-1?) of FSA after you spend all stage with a kinda slooooow and deliberately weird version of the main Kakariko motif. At the bottom of my music is goes, lest I get driven mad by the loop
Probably should've used this really

A lot of music additions from Brawl onwards are seemingly decided via being shiny and new, to represent something recent, usually this happens with rips but I expect this is why Gritzy Desert got slotted in along side stages sometimes leaning more on music that fit the theme (so a desert theme for mushroomy kingdom I guess), Yoko was willing to remix it and hey at least she didn't butcher her own work like "Try, Try Again" which still stings.

At least we can say preparing to advance was very appropriately placed in SSE.

Preparing to Advance and Gritzy Desert are great remixes, mind! Just, y'know, left-field picks and all.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
It'd be cool for more third-party characters to pull an SNK and include music and Spirits from several of their company's series. Playing through DOOM: Eternal and unlocking all the CDs with tracks from Quake, Wolfenstein, and Commander Keen made me want some of them to make it in alongside Doomslayer if that ever happened.

Crash could come with some Spyro music too

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Was Geno ever planned fro Project M (or any other project on that level, if those exist)?
I'm still trying to decide if I want to reply to this, or if I want to see you go for the legendary quintuple post.

Oh, I guess the chance for that is over.

No, Geno wasn't planned for PM, but there is a Geno moveset PSA for PM that was used in the Legacy XP pack.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
It'd be cool for more third-party characters to pull an SNK and include music and Spirits from several of their company's series. Playing through DOOM: Eternal and unlocking all the CDs with tracks from Quake, Wolfenstein, and Commander Keen made me want some of them to make it in alongside Doomslayer if that ever happened.

Crash could come with some Spyro music too

Yeah, I like Crash games more than Spyro but I honestly prefer Spyro's music. It would be great if Crash came with some Spyro songs

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
it does bothers me when people refers him to as "Sonic's father", when in actuality we should be saying that more on Naoto Oshima and Hirokazu Yasuhara; --but that doesn't come close when Inafune got the reputation of being Mega Man's father... (even he said repeatedly he shouldn't be called that); It needed Mighty No 9 for people to stop parroting that.
I feel the opposite between the two, honestly. Inafune came in later which is why he says that he shouldn't be credited as the creator of Mega Man, but his influence wasn't a lie, either. He had influence on the character designs, writing, and general director of the series. Naka might have created the basic gameplay concept, but he wasn't involved in the outstanding level designing of the original games, he didn't create the visual and musical identity that are so important to the series, and so on. He just strikes me as a random workhorse who gets credit for a project way bigger than him out of sheer technicality.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the opposite between the two, honestly. Inafune came in later which is why he says that he shouldn't be credited as the creator of Mega Man, but his influence wasn't a lie, either. He had influence on the character designs, writing, and general director of the series. Naka might have created the basic gameplay concept, but he wasn't involved in the outstanding level designing of the original games, he didn't create the visual and musical identity that are so important to the series, and so on. He just strikes me as a random workhorse who gets credit for a project way bigger than him out of sheer technicality.

To be fair, the physics and game engine are absolutely an important and vital part of the original Sonic games, so Naka was pretty crucial in that regard, even if he didn't actually create the character of Sonic or actually design the levels.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Chun-Li could give Sakurai an excuse to include songs from the greater Street Fighter universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.