• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Next DT Subtitle?

• Playing stocks over time

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 3 Stocks remaining

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • To be Continued...

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Amiibo Theory or Bust

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Your Smashing days are coming to an end

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I can Be Your One Winged Angel or Devil

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai must look at the replies some times since he's been known to block.

But I doubt he makes notes cos he knows more likely than not it's the same people always posting.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Edit 1: Era messed up and double posted.

Edit 2: Hmm... this is a bit wasteful considering it's at the top so here's a random video to brighten up your day:

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I finished my FFXV replay (including playing the DLC for the first time).

It remains quite possibly my greatest gaming disappointment from last gen.

Nintendo made the right call going for Sephiroth instead of Noctis.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai probably doesn't need Twitter reply buzz to figure out if a character is popular anyway, I'm sure Nintendo's marketing research can handle that for him

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah! *Among realizable characters* is was K. Rool, of course! I guarantee you we were the most proudly annoying fanbase out there back in Smash4.

Or maybe it was Ridley.

Sora certainly was bellow these two, at least
It's likely that Sora was above them but wasn't "realizable" according to the rumors surrounding negotiations with Disney.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
See my thinking is just that a playable Gatekeeper unit won't be particularly interesting.

He's just a generic soldier.

The odd thing is that Brave units are supposed to be alts, like how we still only have a standard Veronica playable in Dragalia Lost, with the playable version in Heroes given due to CYL being a horse riding staff user. So, Brave Gatekeeper shouldn't be just a lance infantry... but that kind of kills the point.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, we don't have any real measure to say that about Sora either. It's all comes down to how annoyingly vocal each fanbase is.. and I know Crash fans can be very obnoxious (Reddit)
Yeah who knows if being overly vocal on the character you want even works. All it does is skew perspectives on how popular characters truly are and dilutes these characters into an echo chamber where their importance often get inflated in speculation over their potential impact in the industry. pics unrelated
250px-Ridley_SSBU.png
1200px-Banjo_%26_Kazooie_SSBU.png

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
It's likely that Sora was above them but wasn't "realizable" according to the rumors surrounding negotiations with Disney.
The weird thing is that "unrealizable" characters could have included basically anything that had any sort of obstacle Sakurai and co. didn't feel like overturning at the moment. Like, say, Steve. Adjusting every stage? Forget it.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai must look at the replies some times since he's been known to block.

But I doubt he makes notes cos he knows more likely than not it's the same people always posting.

He may've bothered to take notes at least once. At the end of FP1 he asked people who they expected/hoped the last character to be. In English too!

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
The odd thing is that Brave units are supposed to be alts, like how we still only have a standard Veronica playable in Dragalia Lost, with the playable version in Heroes given due to CYL being a horse riding staff user. So, Brave Gatekeeper shouldn't be just a lance infantry... but that kind of kills the point.

The solution is clear. Gatekeeper is a tome user, and he summons a grand gate to crush opponents, sort of the vein of Bernie summoning a house and Oliver summoning himself.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Now I know people aren't shitting on my man Gatekeeper in here.

Consider this: When Byleth arrived and got their stage in the Monastery along, there are thirteen background characters. Three from each of the houses, three representing the Church of Seiros... and Gatekeeper. Who even got pointed out specifically in the Byleth gameplay reveal by Sakurai.

Gatekeeper earned that slot by sheer charisma, is what I'm saying. He's just upbeat and nice in a game that can be called many thing, but none of those.

Gatekeeper is in Smash and people would have complained if the gate had been there, but its keeper was not, I can guarantee it.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember this tweet. In short hindsight it seemed like obvious obfuscation of the hint Ryce picked up. It was also in English to be fair with the hint.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
The weird thing is that "unrealizable" characters could have included basically anything that had any sort of obstacle Sakurai and co. didn't feel like overturning at the moment. Like, say, Steve. Adjusting every stage? Forget it.

We know Ultimate existed at the very least as a theoretical entry discussed between Iwata and Sakurai since mid-2015, around when the final few Smash 4 characters were decided and began development. "Realizable" could've also meant "a character that Nintendo and Sakurai were willing to invest the time and money into creating knowing that a new entry was going to be in the works right after."

This is why I don't view Bayonetta as having quiiiiiiite as unique of circumstances as others; she was a ballot winner but a ballot winner selected with Ultimate's development in mind. I don't think they were ever going to be a Sora or even Snake-level pick

Last edited:

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
We know Ultimate existed at the very least as a theoretical entry discussed between Iwata and Sakurai since mid-2015, around when the final few Smash 4 characters were decided and began development. "Realizable" could've also meant "a character that Nintendo and Sakurai were willing to invest the time and money into creating knowing that a new entry was going to be in the works right after."
That too.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Speaking of finalized characters, do we think that they put a placeholder for one of the FP slots for an upcoming first-party character (Ex: FE placeholder later became Byleth) or do we think everyone was fully decided when the passes were said to be finalized (Ex: They already zeroed in on Byleth by November 6th, 2018)? I had a discussion with Delzethin yesterday, who seems to be of the opinion that it's the latter.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of finalized characters, do we think that they put a placeholder for one of the FP slots for an upcoming first-party character (Ex: FE placeholder later became Byleth) or do we think everyone was fully decided when the passes were said to be finalized (Ex: They already zeroed in on Byleth by November 6th, 2018)? I had a discussion with Delzethin yesterday, who seems to be of the opinion that it's the latter.

I would think it would be the latter.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of finalized characters, do we think that they put a placeholder for one of the FP slots for an upcoming first-party character (Ex: FE placeholder later became Byleth) or do we think everyone was fully decided when the passes were said to be finalized? I had a discussion with Delzethin yesterday, who seems to be of the opinion that it's the latter.

I'm somewhat convinced they always had a vague idea of an ARMS character getting added at some point before finally settling on Min Min by the start of FP2's development.

Would explain why there was no ARMS music in the base game, but also explain why Min Min was a spirit in the base game.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Speaking of finalized characters, do we think that they put a placeholder for one of the FP slots for an upcoming first-party character (Ex: FE placeholder later became Byleth) or do we think everyone was fully decided when the passes were said to be finalized? I had a discussion with Delzethin yesterday, who seems to be of the opinion that it's the latter.
Well, based on how Sakurai described the process with Hero, choosing the specific rep for the series is part of the early negotiation process. I know they can allow themselves a lot more lineance with first-party characters, but i'm sure that's the case for, say, Min Min (and would be the case for any upcoming first-party characters) too.

At the earliest stage of discussion they would've had "ARMS rep" penciled in, maybe even during base game production seeing as they purposefully left out ARMS music, but I feel like in that case (and any future DLC cases) they would've figured out who the specific rep is by the time Sakurai said the choices were finalised in November 2019.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Historically, there seemed to be placeholders for FE and Pokemon. The rumours for both of these at the moment seem to involve remakes, so that wouldn't be needed.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm somewhat convinced they always had a vague idea of an ARMS character getting added at some point before finally settling on Min Min by the start of FP2's development.

Would explain why there was no ARMS music in the base game, but also explain why Min Min was a spirit in the base game.
Well, based on how Sakurai described the process with Hero, choosing the specific rep for the series is part of the early negotiation process. I know they can allow themselves a lot more leniency with first-party characters, but i'm sure that's the case for, say, Min Min (and would be the case for any upcoming first-party characters) too.

At the earliest stage of discussion they would've had "ARMS rep" penciled in, maybe even during base game production seeing as they purposefully left out ARMS music, but I feel like in that case (and any future DLC cases) they would've figured out who the specific rep is by the time Sakurai said the choices were finalized.
But do you think they decided on Min Min by November 2019 or later?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm taking an offhand Sakurai quote too literally, but when Sakurai said during Byleth's presentation when he unveiled FP2 that he thought maybe 1 or 2 fighters might suffice, I can imagine half or less of the fighters in FP2 were planned much earlier on regardless of there being a second pass or not. Min Min and Steve could have been those "1 or 2."

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Very few series have a consistently frequent new protag to use like FE, so I would imagine FE is the exception rather than the rule

seeds

Jun 25, 2019
I'm sure Min Min was locked in by the time the second pass was finalized just by virtue of being the first character in the pass. I wouldn't be surprised if the first steps of developing her had already happened by November

If we do get a new pokemon I'm curious when they'll have been decided on, given that the second pass was finalized around the time Sword and Shield launched. Granted, if it ended up being Cinderace, then it wouldn't surprise me if it was decided some time before the game came out, given the push The Pokemon Company has given Cinderace in the anime/other media

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the same type face as Paper Mario uses for its dialogue boxes right?
Only_my_note.png

Guess Paper Mario and iDOLM@STER are joined at the hip now.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking more in a broad sense like how they had a slot for a character from a then-recent first-party character during 3DS/Wii U's DLC run.
I would still assume they picked the actual character beforehand in that case, it's not like there have been that many new releases since then to pick from anyway, so all the potential choices would have been known quantities already

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
An ARMS rep was probably decided very early as separate of Pass 1. The fact that they went with Min Min was likely done a little later; I'd wager possibly as late as Summer 2019, around the end of the Party Crash (I don't believe this had an effect on the selected character since it wasn't mentioned by Sakurai, just that the timing was pretty serendipitous).

I don't think any future character was left an open slot. Maybe a Gen 8 Pokémon given the timing but that was probably settled earlier.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
An ARMS rep was probably decided very early as separate of Pass 1. The fact that they went with Min Min was likely done a little later; I'd wager possibly as late as Summer 2019, around the end of the Party Crash (I don't believe this had an effect on the selected character since it wasn't mentioned by Sakurai, just that the timing was pretty serendipitous).

I don't think any future character was left an open slot. Maybe a Gen 8 Pokémon given the timing but that was probably settled earlier.
FP2 was already greenlit by that point.

As for Pokémon, wouldn't your Min Min argument be even more damning for a Gen 8 rep since they would have made a conscious decision to do a spirit event instead of a playable character at that time?

seeds

Jun 25, 2019
I don't think Pokemon's situation with spirits is equivalent to any other spirit event. It's possible that the spirit event was because we aren't getting a Sword and Shield character, but the spirits they chose weren't going to be chosen as a dlc fighter, and there's still an absurd amount of spirits to choose from if a gen 8 pokemon gets added

It's a far cry from including Leon or the Ring Fit Trainee as spirits. That said, who knows whether we'll get a pokemon or not. It still seems like the most likely first party character if there is another on this pass

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't think Pokemon's situation with spirits is equivalent to any other spirit event. It's possible that the spirit event was because we aren't getting a Sword and Shield character, but the spirits they chose weren't going to be chosen as a dlc fighter, and there's still an absurd amount of spirits to choose from if a gen 8 pokemon gets added

It's a far cry from including Leon or the Ring Fit Trainee as spirits. That said, who knows whether we'll get a pokemon or not. It still seems like the most likely first party character if there is another on this pass
It's not that they don't have many options, but rather that they would've waited until later to release the spirits if Gen 8 was getting a rep. But like I said, the fact that the Sw/Sh spirit event was likely approved around E3 time (going by the Pokémon chosen) does put that specific spirit event into question compared to the rest.

seeds

Jun 25, 2019
It's not that they don't have many options, but rather that they would've waited until later to release the spirits if Gen 8 was getting a rep. But like I said, the fact that the Sw/Sh spirit event was likely approved around E3 time (going by the Pokémon chosen) does put that specific spirit event into question compared to the rest.

Yeah this is a good point, but the timing of the spirit event (right when Sw/Sh launched, unlike most of the others) is why I don't think we can count it out. It was clearly their intent to have the event to promote the game right as it came out, and Pokemon is in the unique position where they can do this without deconfirming a character (unlike Three Houses, for example). If the event had happened some time after release, then I would be more willing to doubt the chances of a gen 8 pokemon

That said, it's kind of a shame we know Corviknight doesn't have a chance of making it into Smash

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
It still seems crazy to me that we have three characters left and we haven't got a clue as to who they are. All three characters this pass were completely unexpected and came out of left field (counting the ARMs reveal in March rather than Min Min's true reveal).

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah this is a good point, but the timing of the spirit event (right when Sw/Sh launched, unlike most of the others) is why I don't think we can count it out. It was clearly their intent to have the event to promote the game right as it came out, and Pokemon is in the unique position where they can do this without deconfirming a character (unlike Three Houses, for example). If the event had happened some time after release, then I would be more willing to doubt the chances of a gen 8 pokemon

That said, it's kind of a shame we know Corviknight doesn't have a chance of making it into Smash
There's still a reasonable amount of doubt over the chances of a Gen 8 Pokémon because of the spirit event. It's just that the amount of doubt is less compared to the others who got spirited away.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It still seems crazy to me that we have three characters left and we haven't got a clue as to who they are. All three characters this pass were completely unexpected and came out of left field (counting the ARMs reveal in March rather than Min Min's true reveal).

It makes speculating really fun, doesn't it? There's no telling if anyone has even guessed at who the next character could end up being. Even folks actively looking for underdog predictions could get blown away when we get, like, Peter Pepper (the Burger Time guy) or something.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, 2/3 of FP2 got leaked or hinted at in one way or another. Perhaps they need to take pointers from Geoff regarding keeping things under wraps given how both TGA Smash reveals (Joker & Sephiroth) didn't leak.

"Leaked" is really generous to say for Steve who had teases day-of. That's like saying Byleth leaked because someone posted on Reddit that they were gonna be in an hour before the presentation. At that point, most folks's eyes are on the event that's about to happen. Hardly anything like Nintendo themselves accidentally outing SNK's involvement or the "Brave" codename.

Status
Not open for further replies.