• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Next DT Subtitle?

• Playing stocks over time

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 3 Stocks remaining

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • To be Continued...

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Amiibo Theory or Bust

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Your Smashing days are coming to an end

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I can Be Your One Winged Angel or Devil

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But again, Bayonetta got in quite literally because she won the Smash Ballot. It's why I don't really use her in any metric for speculation, because she's an outlier no matter how you slice it. Unless another Ballot happens, I don't see her circumstances being repeated. Likewise, given how many major indie characters got shafted, I'm not too sure about us getting an indie character in Ultimate.

So you think it's Rise Hunter or nothing for MH?
I guess my point is more that the character probably isn't gonna be a crowd pleaser but still have more excitement than Byleth or Incineroar. So Indie rep, or smaller JP publisher. Something along those lines.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
So how confident are people in Monster Hunter happening right now?

I confidently think that out of any potential newcomer, they are the most likely. I wouldn't quite go as far to say a lock, because who knows with the MH teams reluctance to add them to MvC3 and the lack of any hints in the Capcom data leaks, along with general unpredictability of Sakurai at times, but Capcom has a strong working relationship with Nintendo, MH has been relevant for Nintendo systems for a long time, and will continue to be so for the immediate future, it's one of the biggest Capcom series both in Japan and the west, and the Hunter probably has like 5 movesets worth of material to work with easily.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's definitely involved, but I'm wondering if Intelligent Systems may simply have prioritized things differently if Fire Emblem hadn't gained international exposure tied to other more established franchises. There's a bunch of activity happening for the series at that time so it's hard to say that one thing was the cause of everything.
Their strategic planning seems fairly poor overall. There seemed to be a push for a FE revival around the time of Binding Blade though (since Thracia was a complicated game coming out on a dead console) when you consider how it also had a manga side-story on Jump and a card game that ran up to 2006 (although it only featured FE 4/5 and FE 1/3) . The GBA games might have been pushed out quickly to ride that wave. Still, it resulted in decreasing sales in Japan with the successive games (and the West after the first localized game). But then the even worse selling Path of Radiance had a sequel with all new models, animations and artwork - which makes very little sense (even if they really wanted a sequel to Path of Radiance it should have been a much more standalone game) and it obviously backfired when it did even worse and they were told to not bother making console FEs again, and that they should focus on cheap portable games.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did the late Satoru Iwata have personal history with Monster Hunter? If not, please stop equating it with Dragon Quest.
That's such a dumb disqualifier when you know exactly why Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest get compared to all the time. Even then Monster Hunter has way more of a western audience post World than Dragon Quest has even today after all the promotion it's gotten for XIS

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say Monster Hunter was impossible, but y'all need to stop equating it with Dragon Quest. The two series are in vastly different circumstances and held in vastly different regards. The only thing they have in common in this sense is they had/have a big game coming to Switch during Smash DLC days.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I confidently think that out of any potential newcomer, they are the most likely. I wouldn't quite go as far to say a lock, because who knows with the MH teams reluctance to add them to MvC3 and the lack of any hints in the Capcom data leaks, along with general unpredictability of Sakurai at times, but Capcom has a strong working relationship with Nintendo, MH has been relevant for Nintendo systems for a long time, and will continue to be so for the immediate future, it's one of the biggest Capcom series both in Japan and the west, and the Hunter probably has like 5 movesets worth of material to work with easily.
I wouldn't use the lack of mention in the leaks as a point against Capcom getting another character, as we don't even know who the final SFV character is. Not to mention that they would've talked about the MH Mii costumes either way.

Simply put it, not everything was leaked so far (& hopefully the assholes who stole the data are caught before they leak anything else).

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say Monster Hunter was impossible, but y'all need to stop equating it with Dragon Quest. The two series are in vastly different circumstances and held in vastly different regards. The only thing they have in common in this sense is they had/have a big game coming to Switch during Smash DLC days.
Dude, all I said in relation to Dragon Quest was that just like Dragon Quest where the default representation is DQ11, I can see Nintendo using MH:Rise as the default Monster Hunter representation because they're recent.

All of this just because I asked a simple question about MH:Rise locations, even though that's basically fruitless since the game isn't out yet. I didn't want to clarify my reasoning for asking because none of my ideas are new.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
you select Rise Hunter as a skin in smash but they come with all the cheesy one-liners

HOPE YOU'VE GOT INSURANCE

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Given how protective the MH team is, I have my doubts they would let Nintendo/Sakurai play around with a game months before it released. This isn't like Fire Emblem where Nintendo could just give Sakurai the game early.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Given how protective the MH team is, I have my doubts they would let Nintendo/Sakurai play around with a game months before it released. This isn't like Fire Emblem where Nintendo could just give Sakurai the game early.
Sakurai & Tsujimoto are buddies, so I wouldn't put it past the latter.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i honestly can't imagine a situation where nintendo goes to capcom to ask for hunter in smash and capcom goes "fuck no"

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i honestly can't imagine a situation where nintendo goes to capcom to ask for hunter in smash and capcom goes "fuck no"

Capcom wouldn't even let Capcom use Monster Hunter in a game that had "Capcom" in the title.

(Then some other people at Capcom did it anyway and that reportedly really pissed off the MH team.)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Hey, a Banjo fan wasn't the only person who embarrassed themselves by trying to claim Brave wasn't a DQ Hero; it happened with Sora too. Even in these threads I remember someone bringing up the Brave Form!

Capcom said "fuck no" to Capcom putting Monster Hunter in a fighting game pre-MvCI.

They work in mysterious ways.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Capcom wouldn't even let Capcom use Monster Hunter in a game that had "Capcom" in the title.

(Then some other people at Capcom did it anyway and that reportedly really pissed off the MH team.)
That might be the big reason why we don't see MH as a playable charcter in Smash...buuut isn't it odd how we got MH content at all then in Smash?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I do think it's really weird that Brave is the only codename that can be so easily tied to the character it's for (like if Jack, Buddy, Dolly or Master had leaked nobody would've guessed Joker, Banjo, Terry or Byleth.) and it just so happened to be the only one that ever got datamined for Ultimate. Not conspiracy weird, just what are the odds?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I do think it's really weird that Brave is the only codename that can be so easily tied to the character it's for (like if Jack, Buddy, Dolly or Master had leaked nobody would've guessed Joker, Banjo, Terry or Byleth.) and it just so happened to be the only one that ever got datamined for Ultimate. Not conspiracy weird, just what are the odds?
Min Min's codename is also fairly traceable; Tantan, just a type of ramen. Easy.

Pickel for Steve also wouldn't be too hard if people made the connection to pickaxe.

I promise you plenty of people would've guessed B&K for Buddy too.

What was Sephiroth's code name?
Edge.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

I think some people of would caught on to "buddy" being Banjo & Kazooie.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

That might be the big reason why we don't see MH as a playable charcter in Smash...buuut isn't it odd how we got MH content at all then in Smash?
Actually, the MH team relented & allowed the Hunter in MvCI going by what Imran said. I guess it was the game's failure that left the team burned. The narrative that MH was added to MvCI without the MH team's permission originated from a false 4chan rumor which also claimed that Capcom USA developed MvCI.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
guys what if brave is another form of link, or a new zelda rep

because courage = bravey

No? Ratholas is just a boss and AT in the game because it's the iconic character from the series.

To add to this, the thing that the MH crew didn't want in MvC was a regular hunter. They seem to prefer the monsters as the stars and face of the series iirc.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I know nothing of Dragon Quest.

but if you told me the code name Brave.

I would've guessed....nothing. Because nothing obvious comes to mind lol. I know about Kingdom Hearts forms but I wouldn't have both that.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not sure how that fake rumor spread as much as it has, to be honest. There are even people on Twitter who legit believe that Capcom USA made MvCI because of the 4chan post.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The MH team is specifically against the Monster Hunter themselves appearing in crossovers.

Look at Teppen. Three MH heroes in that game right now and they're Rathalos, Nergigante and Felyne.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The MH team is specifically against the Monster Hunter themselves appearing in crossovers.

Look at Teppen. Three MH heroes in that game right now and they're Rathalos, Nergigante and Felyne.
I'd imagine that goes into feeling burned after MvCI, though with Teppen there aren't concerns of size.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Joker, Terry, and Sepiroth are the only codenames where I don't think people would have guessed who they were before reveal. Everyone else I can see people guessing right, though probably not as fast as how Brave = DW happened.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
it's a good thing smash is merely a crossover party action game

the monster hunter team would never object because it's not a fighting game

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Actually, let's look at Teppen's roster as a fun little experiment. It's a fairly condensed crossover roster, so it's fun to look at who the priority picks have been so far.
  • Street Fighter: Ryu, Chun-Li, Akuma
  • Mega Man: X, Zero
  • Resident Evil: Wesker, Jill
  • Devil May Cry: Dante, Nero
  • Monster Hunter: Rathalos, Nergigante, Felyne
  • Darkstalkers: Morrigan
  • Okami: Amaterasu
  • Sengoku Basara: Oichi
  • Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright (not in the game yet, leaked in the stolen files)

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Monster Hunter gets a rep, but it's just a big ol' hunk of Manga Meat.

Actually, let's look at Teppen's roster as a fun little experiment. It's a fairly condensed crossover roster, so it's fun to look at who the priority picks have been so far.
  • Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright (not in the game yet, leaked in the stolen files)

How is Dick Gumshoe not top priority for the Ace Attorney series? smh my head.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So they'd ideally prefer a monster or Felyne, but the former isn't exactly feasible for a fighting game unless Capcom brings back giant characters.

Either way, it'd be a shame if the Hunter doesn't return in the next Versus game. She was really well-executed & well-received.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Someone on the eShop has claimed the name Dark Sauce, which is not exactly Dank Sauce but too close. All aboard Foodborne now

Ah, we're discussing codenames again? I'm not sure why they need them at all. Would Char82 be that hard to talk with?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Speaking of Versus, I wonder if Lady Alcina Dimitrescu will overtake Nemesis & Jack Baker as the monster-like playable character. She'd double as a modern RE rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.