• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Next DT Subtitle?

• Playing stocks over time

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 3 Stocks remaining

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • To be Continued...

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Amiibo Theory or Bust

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Your Smashing days are coming to an end

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I can Be Your One Winged Angel or Devil

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest was one of the ones that I felt was obvious even before we knew how third party oriented Ultimate would be. I'd have liked to see some of the arguments against it.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest was one of the ones that I felt was obvious even before we knew how third party oriented Ultimate would be. I'd have liked to see some of the arguments against it.

Oh boy, you missed out with Brawl and Smash 4 speculation (weirdly I remember you were being there with us during Smash 4 speculation era)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was initially reluctant about DQ in Smash, but I was quickly won over. Hero ended up being my favorite in the First Pass.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think prior to 2018 and the "Brave" datamine leak, I had kinda written off Dragon Quest on the virtue of it not being that popular overseas. Most of the previous third party guests we had gotten managed to be popular or at least well known in both the east and the west.

Obviously when "Brave" was found in the game's files, I knew it was a DQ character.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Man, imagine how different Smash would had been if NoA had cut all the JP-exclusive characters back in Melee.
I wonder if it could have effects larger than Smash. Fire Emblem wasn't really the biggest Japanese strategy RPG series in Melee's time, even domestically. It became a more regularly releasing series around that time - but that's probably not just due to Smash either.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's anything controversial with the suggestion that DLC sales largely trend downward after its initial release. That's the main reason characters like Terry and Byleth were slotted in the back half, and why characters like Joker and Hero were frontloaded, because it's assumed that the latter two were going to make the first impression of what kind of content Smash would be getting, and convince people that the pass is something worth investing in.

The observation doesn't exactly work the same with base roster content because pre-orders only trend upward toward the game's release (Comgnet rankings are usually a good example of this). That said, it's still blatantly obvious that characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and the Belmonts were brought out in the front half because they were convinced that those picks would've made a bigger impression early on. I'm not gonna say Isabelle is a "lesser" inclusion because by the metrics of sheer franchise status that's obviously not the case, but both her and Incineroar stemmed from franchises that were either recently included or already had ample representation that their presence was considered more of a formality in marketing. Nintendo's go-to headliner upon Smash Ultimate's reveal was Inkling, which in the context of Smash, mattered way more than the two aforementioned characters.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I think prior to 2018 and the "Brave" datamine leak, I had kinda written off Dragon Quest on the virtue of it not being that popular overseas. Most of the previous third party guests we had gotten managed to be popular or at least well known in both the east and the west.

Obviously when "Brave" was found in the game's files, I knew it was a DQ character.

Also it doesn't help that much when someone posted a picture of Kirby with Erdrick Shield. People went wild with that.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember some people denying Dragon Quest pretty much right up till Hero's reveal. How Brave could mean anything, no one in the west cared bout Dragon Quest, etc.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if it could have effects larger than Smash. Fire Emblem wasn't really the biggest Japanese strategy RPG series in Melee's time, even domestically. It became a more regularly releasing series around that time - but that's probably not just due to Smash either.

The GBA had 3 games because they had some of the biggest amount of reused assets in the series. Even when Sacred Stones had an entirely new setting, the class designs, battle animations and general systems for most classes were still shared with Binding Blade.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The GBA had 3 games because they had some of the biggest amount of reused assets in the series. Even when Sacred Stones had an entirely new setting, the class designs, battle animations and general systems for most classes were still shared with Binding Blade.
That's definitely involved, but I'm wondering if Intelligent Systems may simply have prioritized things differently if Fire Emblem hadn't gained international exposure tied to other more established franchises. There's a bunch of activity happening for the series at that time so it's hard to say that one thing was the cause of everything.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Dragon Quest had a crossover with Mario;.. that was indication that Nintendo saw the IP with high regard enough to let them interact directly with their mascot, and even given them the license of the character. Same happened with Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games;

then Mario + Rabbids banailized the concept

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm curious. To anyone who's played the demo, what location from MH:Rise would make the best Smash stage? I imagine that whatever stage it is, there will be monster cameos as likely stage hazards.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest more like Dragon Jest

Because the whole series is a joke
gadabout3male8ej4d.png

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I really dont see Capcom and especially not Chun Li happening. My predictions right now are Namco, maybe a big indie rep and a Nintendo rep. I feel like crash has a big chance as well.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest had a crossover with Mario;.. that was indication that Nintendo saw the IP with high regard enough to let them interact directly with their mascot, and even given them the license of the character. Same happened with Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games;

then Mario + Rabbids banailized the concept

farm_crops_super01.jpg
farm_crops_super02.jpg
farm_crops_super03.jpg

Soon.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest more like Dragon Jest

Because the whole series is a joke

Checks out

Gawd I hope this actual final boss of DQ11 isn't gonna be some super slog/operation grind, I feel like whenever I stumble across one of these act 3 sidebosses they fuck my shit up in record time.
This nubbins in a world of asset flips is like "beat this boss rematch in 30 turns, what's that 35? get outta here scrub!"

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
So, I'm curious. To anyone who's played the demo, what location from MH:Rise would make the best Smash stage? I imagine that whatever stage it is, there will be monster cameos as likely stage hazards.

Either the ancient ruins or a mish mash if stages using the guild airships as transitions.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Would they go with a Rise stage or something from an earlier game (World, 4, Generations, etc.)?

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

I hope that it's a stage from Monster Hunter World or something earlier but I wouldn't object if it's from Rise. I think it might be too soon for taking a stage out of brand new game that are coming out in couple of months. Unless it's the starter town which I'm perfectly fine with..

but would it make sense to using a town as a stage for Monster Hunter rather than iconic or popular location for Monster Hunting as a stage?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I could see one of the last characters being another Bayonetta or a character who's inclusion seemed a little wild even if they weren't a huge bombshell crowd pleaser of a character like Hero, Banjo, Steve, or Sephiroth. So maybe an indie rep or something like that or maybe a little safer like a Namco character. If there's any character that could surprise us for the rest of the Pass it would be DLC 11 as we're generally expecting one more Nintendo character and maybe Capcom or Namco character. I don't think it'll be another dump like Incineroar or Byleth

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I could see one of the last characters being another Bayonetta or a character who's inclusion seemed a little wild even if they weren't a huge bombshell crowd pleaser of a character like Hero, Banjo, Steve, or Sephiroth. So maybe an indie rep or something like that or maybe a little safer like a Namco character. If there's any character that could surprise us for the rest of the Pass it would be DLC 11 as we're generally expecting one more Nintendo character and maybe Capcom or Namco character. I don't think it'll be another dump like Incineroar or Byleth
The safest but also the wildest choice would be the Pac-Man Ghosts!

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of think that it won't really be a "Rise" specific Hunter even if they have a Wirebug for a move or two. It's probably going to be Rathalos armor in the default, and then other armors as alts. (Maybe a Rath male/female alt colors for both, and then two different sets of armors with alt colors for each of those, kind of like Hero).

Going by the Rise demo, you'd just sort of think it would be the Rise Demo stage. Maybe set in the waterfall section, or near the front of the camp with the dog rock. Could also be a traveling stage. If it's not Rise, I kind of think it might be Deserted Island from Tri, though there aren't that many great landmarks from there. Maybe it will just be one of the volcanic stages.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
They could go for something more present in many games and go for the Arena.

Or go for castle Schrade.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I'm going into every reveal at this point assuming it's going to be Cinderace. Not because I think that's necessarily going to happen but at this point all of my most wanted characters are in or are already confirmed to not be in so my expectations are extremely easy to shatter.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
But again, Bayonetta got in quite literally because she won the Smash Ballot. It's why I don't really use her in any metric for speculation, because she's an outlier no matter how you slice it. Unless another Ballot happens, I don't see her circumstances being repeated. Likewise, given how many major indie characters got shafted, I'm not too sure about us getting an indie character in Ultimate.

Then it'd be something else. I think it'll be the Rise hunters which is why I asked about Rise locations.
So you think it's Rise Hunter or nothing for MH?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez I didn't like the cast of Persona 4 either but a whole character devoted to hunting one of them down seems harsh

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did the late Satoru Iwata have personal history with Monster Hunter? If not, please stop equating it with Dragon Quest.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So how confident are people in Monster Hunter happening right now?
Better than most, but that's not saying much. Either way, they're far from a given.

By "something else" I meant some other Monster Hunter.
Ah, noted

Did the late Satoru Iwata have personal history with Monster Hunter? If not, please stop equating it with Dragon Quest.
Jeez, do you just not like Monster Hunter or something? Either way, while it's not a 1:1 comparison, there are similarities in that they're both franchises that are big in Japan that Nintendo is actively pushing harder than most. And what does Iwata have to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.