• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Next DT Subtitle?

• Playing stocks over time

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 3 Stocks remaining

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • To be Continued...

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Amiibo Theory or Bust

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Your Smashing days are coming to an end

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I can Be Your One Winged Angel or Devil

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Basing Nightmare off his SC2 look makes sense: it's iconic, a lot of fans associate it with him since 2 introduced the series to a wider audience, and it's not as busy as his later designs

The bigger issue would be how hard they lean into the dark magic he starts tossing out in recent games, hard to see Siegfried doing that

and his trailer would absolutely feature Link. Make it the inverse of the Hero trailer, Nightmare tearing down all the good-guy swordsmen
That's assuming Siegfreid will be alt or an echo fighter which he might be but he also might not be

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
That's assuming Siegfreid will be alt or an echo fighter which he might be but he also might not be

Right, I was saying if they went the alt route, SC2's design would make that the easiest since... Siegfried already was an alt in that game, haha. And that there're other reasons to pick that design besides accommodating a Siegfried alt

could honestly see an Echo too, get the series' main villain and hero with Siegfried getting more light and ice effects. Doubt they'd go that far for DLC tho

Last edited:

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Right, I was saying if they went the alt route, SC2's design would make that the easiest since... Siegfried already was an alt in that game, haha

could honestly see an Echo too, get the series' main villain and hero with Siegfried getting more light and ice effects. Doubt they'd go that far for DLC tho
True but man i hope so...that would be really neat

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I kinda hope Minmin logic would be applied to Soul Calibur and we basically leave the door open for anyone instead of mostly just focusing on Nightmare. Cervantes was another weilder of Soul Edge iirc and there's a ton of cool gimmicks/weapon styles you could bring with Talim, Kilik, or maybe even giving Yoshimitsu a stance change gimmick allowing him to swap to some Tekken moves. That said, Nightmare is definitely one of the more interesting choices for being the face of a fighting game series.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
give me Spooky instead; so he can summon ghosts for his moves
1eecac9409f7330e9df8ac841d912112f7ccd6e5r1-378-282v2_hq.jpg

anything to have Pac-Man content be beyond the arcade era

I support this

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Soul Calibur character creator videos on YouTube have lead me to believe that Nightmare and Cloud have the same moveset.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
If you go by the same logic that is applied to Lloyd then basing a Soul Calibur rep on 2 is the way to go since that's the version many Nintendo fans would have played.

I know someone is going to claim they played Soul Calibur Legends on Wii, but I won't believe you.

Also said rep should be Ivy.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I dunno why people say Nightmare is the only choice for SC.... well okay I get that he is the mascot but Talim is definitely the most popular SC character and it's not even a contest. I might sound silly since none of my most wanted are crazy popular but I do think Talim WOULD have a shot somewhere if a SC character was considered. And Talim despite being absent for a full game in SCV still won the popularity poll.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I dunno why people say Nightmare is the only choice for SC.... well okay I get that he is the mascot but Talim is definitely the most popular SC character and it's not even a contest. I might sound silly since none of my most wanted are crazy popular but I do think Talim WOULD have a shot somewhere if a SC character was considered. And Talim despite being absent for a full game in SCV still won the popularity poll.
talim topped that poll because she missed SCV, it's not worth considering for the series outside of that specific context

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I'm pretty sure she won that poll exactly because she wasn't in V and had no replacement, so getting her back was the top priority for the fanbase. She didn't seem that popular during the previous games.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I do think Nightmare or Seigfreid would work the best for Smash. Also it's not going to be Ivy because Smash is for "good boys and girls"

Also picking Mitsurugi for Smash over Seig/Nightmare is like choosing Liu Kang over Scorpion if we got a MK Rep

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Mitsurugi has the distinction of being censored out of the Korean version of Soul Edge.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I swear I've seen an official timeline summarizing the events of the series and Mitsurugi isn't even on it because he doesn't really do anything.

There's also the arcade poster of Soul Edge with a much more significant character taking up focus.

souledge-fly.jpg

OK. If we can't have Ivy, how about Tira then?

Well, we missed Ring Fit Trainer so we gotta get SOMEONE to swing a hoop around... wouldn't Wonder Momo be better though?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm pretty sure she won that poll exactly because she wasn't in V and had no replacement, so getting her back was the top priority for the fanbase. She didn't seem that popular during the previous games.

No, she was always popular. And also she eclipsed even other veterans that didn't return in V by a huge mile.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly Sieg/Nightmare feel more like the main protagionsts of Soul Calibur more so then anyone else. Maybe Sophita but even then i would still go with Sieg.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I swear I've seen an official timeline summarizing the events of the series and Mitsurugi isn't even on it because he doesn't really do anything.
Mitsurugi's story is only tangential to the entire storyline about Soul Edge. I think he's mostly there at this point to annoy the shit out of Taki.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No, she was always popular. And also she eclipsed even other veterans that didn't return in V by a huge mile.
I never said she wasn't popular, just that she wasn't that popular. And the other missing characters generally had gameplay replacements. There was a huge commotion around Talim at the time because her entire weapon type was just completely eliminated. The poll's numbers also weren't even that big. Talim won with 862 votes.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Cos she was on the cover of the GameCube version (it was interesting that each version focused on different characters, further suggesting there's really not a "main" character), I always saw Cassandra as one of the main protagonists of SC2. Her home stage is even home to the LoZ Easter Egg where selecting Link and playing on this stage will change the BGM to a LoZ Them arrangement.

But then you have Xianghua, who the story says defeated Soul Edge and her default weapon looks like the Soul Calibur.

But if I were to go with the character I played the most as I'd have to root for Seong Mi-na.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
They couldn't fit like 95% of SCV's planned story into the game because the dev team had a shoestring budget and a shortened dev window.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2B should have been out Soulcalibur rep smh

if we're counting guests, we kind of already have one

Cos she was on the cover of the GameCube version (it was interesting that each version focused on different characters, further suggesting there's really not a "main" character), I always saw Cassandra as one of the main protagonists of SC2. Her home stage is even home to the LoZ Easter Egg where selecting Link and playing on this stage will change the BGM to a LoZ Them arrangement.

But then you have Xianghua, who the story says defeated Soul Edge and her default weapon looks like the Soul Calibur.

But if I were to go with the character I played the most as I'd have to root for Seong Mi-na.

Honestly, I pretty much switched to Cassy for who I actually play once she rolled around. Just so much faster than Sophitia, who felt sluggish compared to SC1 for some reason. She also had the Valkyrie costume, so that was a pretty big get.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm slowly giving hope for a Bamco fighter in general... this is our future:

add Lloyd coming back, maybe Chosen Undead and KOS-MOS somehow made into costumes too and that's it

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
?!?!? She is the most popular SC character and it's not a contest? That'd be like saying Sakura is the most popular SF character because she won a popularity poll, even though Ryu is obviously more popular.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm slowly giving hope for a Bamco fighter in general... this is our future:

add Lloyd coming back, maybe Chosen Undead and KOS-MOS somehow made into costumes too and that's it

Any form of a fighter making it to the battlefield is welcome and should be celebrated. I just wish there was a Mii Mage so Gil could have Ki join him.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And yeah, Soulcalibur has many protagonists. You could argue Mitsurugi, Siegfried, Sophitia, Taki, Xianghua or Kilik based on their roles in various games. There is no clear protagonist.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
shockingly people dont like egregiously unlikeable fartmasters that exist at the expense of numerous female characters
Patroklos also got a story mode where the player is forced to kill random people several times while Patroklos foolishly believes they're monsters. The game doesn't even try to sell him as edgy or cool, but just a fool. His standard in-game battle quotes also were based on this early story. They just seemed to assume people would instantly jump on board him, rather than attempting to make him likeable at all. Obviously, you also have Patroklos Omega, but by that point they pushed him too far to suddenly make him an hero.

They couldn't fit like 95% of SCV's planned story into the game because the dev team had a shoestring budget and a shortened dev window.
The whole single player was badly planned anyway. They wouldn't have needed a big budget to do something like the Weapon Master or Libra of Soul modes, but it's clear the people behind SCV just didn't get the appeal of Soulcalibur's single player modes.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Namco are scared of having older women, so we didn't get Sophie, Cassandra or Taki and Ivy pulled a Nina/Anna where she didn't age. Actually, the fact that they insisted on bringing Ivy back is a testament to her popularity, too. SC does not have a clear rep to choose for Smash, unless they just went with Nightmare.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
?!?!? She is the most popular SC character and it's not a contest? That'd be like saying Sakura is the most popular SF character because she won a popularity poll, even though Ryu is obviously more popular.

Didn't they have a Talim figurine come with best buy sc vi pre orders? And wait did Sakura actually win one?

Status
Not open for further replies.