• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Next DT Subtitle?

• Playing stocks over time

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 3 Stocks remaining

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • To be Continued...

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Amiibo Theory or Bust

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Your Smashing days are coming to an end

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I can Be Your One Winged Angel or Devil

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Otherworld is the best anyway.

Also hi I'm back.

Welcome back
N7VnAAP.gif

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think if Nagoshi is more okay with Ichiban fighting women then he probably has a chance. Tbh Ichiban would make for a better character that would fit the spirit of Yakuza for Smash than Kiryu. He just has more he could potentially do

Renmazuo

Dec 26, 2019
I dunno, between Byleth being planned for base game and ARMS not getting any music, it feels like those two were always in the cards for DLC while XB2 got told to take a hike

I'd love to be proven wrong, though.
Why does everyone always bring up the music though. In the scale of "this game is hard deconfirmed" you would think a whole assist trophy would weigh more heavily than a couple of songs with bugged audio (they play at a lower volume than every other song in Ultimate, it's never been fixed for whatever reason). Honestly feels like a hindsight bias type of reasoning.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The ARMS music situation is wacky, but I'm not exactly sure if it points things in one direction or another. Consider: if they included one or two songs, nothing would stop them from adding the rest with a character; sure, they'd have to move out of "Other", but I doubt anyone would really have a problem with it. But then, why didn't they do that? Unless they tell us, we won't know.

To be clear, they clearly wiped XC2 off more directly at the time, but that's a different thing.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
DAMN at the Geno thread getting locked + Fatman finally getting axed.

Truely, it's the end of an era.

Gold Arsene good to see you back. How did you react to Sephiroth's reveal?

Jun 2, 2019
Yeah, I can see how Byleth could have reused Monster Hunter's moveset as a multi-weapon character.

So what happens now? Are Chun-Li, Lloyd Irving and Ryu Hayabusa the main candidates for a DLC slot?

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Grumble grumble.

I'm not going to keep pushing this, but Byleth being a multi-weapon character is a combination of representing each house lord/trying to not be like other FE characters, so its unlikely it's a borrowed concept.

Monster Hunter also isn't traditionally a character that switches weapons mid combat. If anything that would be more Dante like.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can see how Byleth could have reused Monster Hunter's moveset as a multi-weapon character.

So what happens now? Are Chun-Li, Lloyd Irving and Ryu Hayabusa the main candidates for a DLC slot?
The current front runners are Don-Chan from Taiko no Tatsujin, Reimu from Touhou and Yuni from Dance Dance Revolution.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Grumble grumble.

I'm not going to keep pushing this, but Byleth being a multi-weapon character is a combination of representing each house lord/trying to not be like other FE characters, so its unlikely it's a borrowed concept.

Monster Hunter also isn't traditionally a character that switches weapons mid combat. If anything that would be more Dante like.
I agree with you, I'm not buying this theory about repurposing a monster hunter move set tbh. It may very well be that Byleth was indeed planned for the base game or that Monster Hunter was planned and scrapped, but Byleth's move set seems very true to Three Houses.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Grumble grumble.

Being a multi-weapon character doesn't really represent Byleth themselves, who had enough of an individual set of skills that they could easily have been a character far more accurate to their depiction in Three Houses without much fuss. The character implementation is an overall stretch that only really works in a meta sort of sense which Smash hasn't really done in quite a long time. Byleth's conceptual move set has always felt like it compensated for something after the fact. It never felt like their current incarnation was the first option, and that it ended up the way it did seems more like a serendipitous happenstance.

Switching weapons mid-combat was how Monster Hunter's implementation worked in MvCI, and it fits more with that character because Monster Hunter themselves are a malleable user-character built around multiple player preferential styles. Having multiple weapons suits Monster Hunter more due to the game treating the styles in an agnostic fashion, whereas Byleth is explicitly encouraged to stick with a specific set of skills.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Grumble grumble.

MvCI had Monster Hunter with the gimmick of different weapons for different attacks, but each weapon had combos built around them referencing the Monster Hunter ones. It'd be very odd to make Monster Hunter's entire moveset based on a single strong attack for each weapon.

Sakurai is much more likely to take big liberties and feature loose implementation for characters from turn based games (see also Joker, whose main gimmick, the rebellion gauge, has nothing to do with Persona 5 at all) than with characters who already existed in an action gameplay environment.

SapphireZora

Mar 14, 2018
I also still think they'd pick Yuri over Lloyd.
I know Yuri is highly popular among the Tales fanbase, but as far as moveset potential, wouldn't Lloyd's dual-wielding katana at least be slightly more unique than the single sword of Yuri? Like yes, it is 'another swordsman', but Lloyd at least has his two swords going for him, where I don't know what makes Yuri stand out from the 'sword-wielding' crowd.

Granted, this is coming from a diehard Symphonia fan and someone who has yet to play Vesperia (though I eagerly look forward to doing so).

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Being a multi-weapon character doesn't really represent Byleth themselves, who had enough of an individual set of skills that they could easily have been a character far more accurate to their depiction in Three Houses without much fuss. The character implementation is an overall stretch that only really works in a meta sort of sense which Smash hasn't really done in quite a long time. Byleth's conceptual move set has always felt like it compensated for something after the fact. It never felt like their current incarnation was the first option, and that it ended up the way it did seems more like a serendipitous happenstance.

Switching weapons mid-combat was how Monster Hunter's implementation worked in MvCI, and it fits more with that character because Monster Hunter themselves are a malleable user-character built around multiple player preferential styles. Having multiple weapons suits Monster Hunter more due to the game treating the styles in an agnostic fashion, whereas Byleth is explicitly encouraged to stick with a specific set of skills.

I don't disagree that Byleth's moveset doesn't represent how the as an individual are in Three Houses. If Byleth was like how they were in game, they'd be closer to Robin but with a whip sword. It was pretty clear in the Byleth presentation that Sakurai knew that FE has too many sword users, so I believe that was a contributing factor in Byleth ending up the way they did. In fact, I'd also blame Hero for that, being a sword and magic using character. The moveset we did get though represents all the main lords, and Byleth themself. I think the more likely explanation for why it turned out like that is that Sakurai wanted to have all paths of TH represented, rather than it was just because they had the idea to do so for a different character that they didn't get permission to go with.

And yes, the MH does switch weapons in MvCI, and they very well could switch weapons if they were in Smash, but it just bugs me that people automatically associate weapon switching = Monster Hunter when that's not something they actually do outside of a spin off. I'd say if anything, switching between an active hunting style and a gathering hunting style is more indicative of them than the wholesale switching of weapons mid fight.

I just think there's a clear reason why Byleth switches weapons that's true to their game (if not the character) but even if it was a borrowed concept, there's no real indication that it'd have to be the Monster Hunter that it was taken from.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MvCI had Monster Hunter with the gimmick of different weapons for different attacks, but each weapon had combos built around them referencing the Monster Hunter ones. It'd be very odd to make Monster Hunter's entire moveset based on a single strong attack for each weapon.

Sakurai is much more likely to take big liberties and feature loose implementation for characters from turn based games (see also Joker, whose main gimmick, the rebellion gauge, has nothing to do with Persona 5 at all) than with characters who already existed in an action gameplay environment.
It is worth remembering that Smash has been and continues to be a historically "simple" series. The games have almost always avoided encumbering its characters too much and sticking to the broad strokes of what they're meant to represent. Bayonetta for instance, only covers a fraction of what's in her games, as a big part about the games are the myriad of weapons you have available. Instead they focused on the "combo" aspect of the character since that's what she's known the most for, as well as her multi-limb guns, so they stick to her default kit. I think this is also part of the reason a character like Rex would come with some challenges to implement since the Driver/Blade mechanic would need an explicit simplification.

If Monster Hunter got into Smash, most likely there wouldn't be a lot of "natural combos" like in MonHun, and they'd predominantly focus on all of the weapons since that's what the "playable" element of MonHun is known for (though I suspect Dual Blades would have some kind of strings); throw in some utility moves like explosive barrels and traps, and you've got yourself a stew.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I just think there's a clear reason why Byleth switches weapons that's true to their game (if not the character) but even if it was a borrowed concept, there's no real indication that it'd have to be the Monster Hunter that it was taken from.
I think this is fair. Even Imran didn't outright pop in and say "byleth is monster hunter yo". I don't think anyone should be obligated to believe it.

But the ideas fit well with the character ( charging great sword and bow, non-charging faster long weapon a la longsword, shorter weapon attacks a la sword and shield or dual sword), and the events would help explain some other oddities (Monster Hunter being considered a separate series interally without also having its own playable character).

It's not like they would have had a complete version of Monster Hunter ready that they just retooled into Byleth.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If Monster Hunter got into Smash, most likely there wouldn't be a lot of "natural combos" like in MonHun, and they'd predominantly focus on all of the weapons since that's what the "playable" element of MonHun is known for (though I suspect Dual Blades would have some kind of strings); throw in some utility moves like explosive barrels and traps, and you've got yourself a stew.
Marth does have three different sequences with the dancing blade though. It just seems unlikely to me that they'd focus on the weapons, but somehow ignore the standard combos everyone would recognize and make it all about single strong hits like Byleth is currently. It'd be the opposite of the Bayonetta situation - it'd be more like if they had attempted to incorporate more of her attacks, but left her overall playstyle unrecognizable.

And I said that assuming they intended a multi-weapon focus in the first place. Like you say, there are also traps an other items that could be incorporated into their moveset.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the Character Who Inspired Byleth is indeed Monster Hunter, but it's like, three moves, not the entire concept of weapon switching

"Hey, MonHun is not happening, and Byleth needs a little more punch, can I see if tether thing maps well over the swordwhip?"

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marth does have three different sequences with the dancing blade though. It just seems unlikely to me that they'd focus on the weapons, but somehow ignore the standard combos everyone would recognize and make it all about single strong hits like Byleth is currently. It'd be the opposite of the Bayonetta situation - it'd be more like if they had attempted to incorporate more of her attacks, but left her overall playstyle unrecognizable.

And I said that assuming they intended a multi-weapon focus in the first place. Like you say, there are also traps an other items that could be incorporated into their moveset.
I think you could easily get one or two moves in there that are rekkas, or a smash attack that's a multi-hit like Cloud's, but I don't really think Monster Hunter would be a combo heavy character in Smash. "Combos" are a thing in MonHun, but it's not necessarily the kind of thing that's the most marketable factor about those games, plus Smash already has combos in it by design, so it only really makes sense to zero in on that aspect if you want to make that the main character gimmick; which is exactly what they did with Ryu and Bayonetta but is unlikely what they'd do with MonHun.

Come to think of it, it's possible that part of the reason Capcom may be apprehensive to having a playable hunter in other games may be a philosophical concern that MonHun won't be entirely accurately represented from a "mechanics" standpoint.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i like weapon master as much as the next guy but I've always preferred the idea of MonHun being a character based around item usage, being able to leave traps, set up barrel bombs, cook meat, etc

it's equally as important to the gameplay of MonHun to have smart item usage when making your hunts, after all

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think you could easily get one or two moves in there that are rekkas, or a smash attack that's a multi-hit like Cloud's, but I don't really think Monster Hunter would be a combo heavy character in Smash. "Combos" are a thing in MonHun, but it's not necessarily the kind of thing that's the most marketable factor about those games, plus Smash already has combos in it by design, so it only really makes sense to zero in on that aspect if you want to make that the main character gimmick; which is exactly what they did with Ryu and Bayonetta but is unlikely what they'd do with MonHun.
I'm not talking about anything overly complex really. I just think that the Monster Hunter's characters specials, if they were focused on showcasing multiple weapons, would focus on attack sequences with them rather than just a single hard hit. Maybe one of the attacks could be that (like Great Sword), but I can't see the entire moveset using that as a core concept. It just seems very off when you compare how much effort Smash puts recently into action based characters when adapting them.

Like I said above, it's much more likely any oddness in Byleth's moveset is due to Sakurai taking bigger creative freedom with turn based characters in general , see also Joker, rather than any Monster Hunter inspiration.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
So I saw some stuff about Monster Hunter went around. Still think it is happening with a different moveset like something relatable to Rise or perhaps a Palico. I still believe the whole of 2021 it will happen.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm convinced that if Nintendo/Sakurai really wanted Monster Hunter, they could make it happen.

After all they've done this far, I refuse to believe that that's a bridge too far for them.
I know Yuri is highly popular among the Tales fanbase, but as far as moveset potential, wouldn't Lloyd's dual-wielding katana at least be slightly more unique than the single sword of Yuri? Like yes, it is 'another swordsman', but Lloyd at least has his two swords going for him, where I don't know what makes Yuri stand out from the 'sword-wielding' crowd.

Granted, this is coming from a diehard Symphonia fan and someone who has yet to play Vesperia (though I eagerly look forward to doing so).
My suggestion for making Yuri stand out has been to add Repede, Yuri's dog and one of the party members in Vesperia, into his moveset as his gimmick. It would reference how in Tales combat, characters can do combos together and whatnot.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
they would simply skirt around the fact that yuri wields swords referencing that he punches things and wields axes also

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced that if Nintendo/Sakurai really wanted Monster Hunter, they could make it happen.

After all they've done this far, I refuse to believe that that's a bridge too far for them.
If the Monster Hunter producers don't want a playable Hunter in Smash, that's that. I seem to recall that when Rathalos was revealed, most of the MH team was unaware of the inclusion until the reveal. But that could also have easily been a cover story for why Rathalos got in and a playable character didn't.

.I just think there's a clear reason why Byleth switches weapons that's true to their game (if not the character) but even if it was a borrowed concept, there's no real indication that it'd have to be the Monster Hunter that it was taken from.
I'm confused at why this line of speculation bothers you as much as it seems.

SapphireZora

Mar 14, 2018
My suggestion for making Yuri stand out has been to add Repede, Yuri's dog and one of the party members in Vesperia, into his moveset as his gimmick. It would reference how in Tales combat, characters can do combos together and whatnot.

I like this idea! I've honestly thought of something similar regarding Lloyd. The basic controls of Tales combat translate to Smash so naturally, but the concept of swapping out 'Omega Tempest' as an Up+B for something like Colette flinging him up in the air or teaming up with him in other ways sounds interesting. So much potential! Thanks for replying. :)

Zhadgon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My expectation:

Chun-Li / Artorias / Ryu Hayabusa

My dream:

Lara Croft / Crash / Ryu Hayabusa

.n_n.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Yuri has plenty of viable gameplay angles

tales-style combo-ing, altered artes, fatal strikes, Overlimit + Burst Artes (which can also be Altered Artes)

Vesperia's packed to the gills, mechanically. It's got plenty for them to pull from to make Yuri stand out

Status
Not open for further replies.