• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Next DT Subtitle?

• Playing stocks over time

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 3 Stocks remaining

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • To be Continued...

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Amiibo Theory or Bust

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Your Smashing days are coming to an end

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I can Be Your One Winged Angel or Devil

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wouldn't be suprised if Monster Hunter was considered for FP1 but they decided to save them for FP2 so they would coincide with Rise.
If anything, they would've had to come back to the negotiation table. And I would imagine that MHR would be a solid reason to try to come to an agreement.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Okay? That doesn't mean that they weren't historically averse to it.
Of course not, but we're talking about Ultimate. I'm just wondering why Capcom would be averse to including a playable Hunter in Ultimate when they had no problem including a playable Hunter in another fighting game at the exact same time. Capcom's heavy Monster Hunter restrictions were years before Ultimate, and the MvCI controversy was years later. I'm curious about the time in between -- the sweet spot of Ultimate's development.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
" The hunter is sort of a malleable personality, rather than a super strong character in Monster Hunter since he's so customizable. "

Thinking about this quote, I figure there are ways to get around that?

commander-stand.png

For example, the Commander in Monster Hunter World is a clearly defined character. This despite the fact that he's strongly implied to be the avatar from Monster Hunter 1.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not, but we're talking about Ultimate. I'm just wondering why Capcom would be averse to including a playable Hunter in Ultimate when they had no problem including a playable Hunter in another fighting game at the exact same time. Capcom's heavy Monster Hunter restrictions were years before Ultimate, and the MvCI controversy was years later. I'm curious about the time in between -- the sweet spot of Ultimate's development.
I don't think it's that hard to believe something that we already knew was the case.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We know the Monster Hunter team felt that way in 2010-2011, but MvCI and Ultimate started development around the same time in late 2015. Monster Hunter was included in MvCI's story and was supposed to be part of the base roster.
I think there's a decent argument to be made that MvCI may have been seen as the preferable "option" that they could be charitable towards at the time if only because it meant Capcom themselves would've had more control over how the character and world is depicted. Smash Ultimate is bigger, and we know Sakurai treats these franchises with utmost care, but we don't know how that translates to the higher ups' view. Things might be different now that we have Rathalos in Smash, it's possible they might soften up, but we'll just have to wait and see.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Wait, so Monster hunter is dead?

Dang. It was one of my most wanted.

Oh well. At least I can go back to supporting Amaterasu for smash.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's that hard to believe something that we already knew was the case.
Maybe I'm being unclear, but all I'm saying is that the Hunter's inclusion in MvCI means that the Monster Hunter team was okay with the idea of a playable Hunter in a fighting game around the time that Ultimate was being planned. I would simply like to know what it was specifically about Smash that the Monster Hunter team took issue with. I'm not being coy or combative here -- I'm genuinely interested in hearing how the character advanced to the point of having a conceptualized move set before being scrapped.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Wait, so Monster hunter is dead?

Dang. It was one of my most wanted.

Oh well. At least I can go back to supporting Amaterasu for smash.

It's only second/third hand speculation at best from insider knowledge. It's reasonable to think Monster Hunter's chances aren't as clear cut as they were before but there's absolutely nothing saying they're 100% hard locked out.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really buy that speculation on Byleth being a scrapped MH. But I guess we'll see what happens in the end.

I will say that while Byleth is one of my favorite characters to play out of the DLC roster, their moveset isn't indicative of what they're like in game. Honestly, a more faithful moveset would be like Robin's, but with a whip sword. I feel Sakurai went they way he did with Byleth's moves in order to make sure they were deliberately different from other FE characters, not because they were trying to repurpose moves from a failed concept, especially if the concept was for a character they hadn't negotiated the rights to.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really buy that speculation on Byleth being a scrapped MH. But I guess we'll see what happens in the end.

I will say that while Byleth is one of my favorite characters to play out of the DLC roster, their moveset isn't indicative of what they're like in game. Honestly, a more faithful moveset would be like Robin's, but with a whip sword. I feel Sakurai went they way he did with Byleth's moves in order to make sure they were deliberately different from other FE characters, not because they were trying to repurpose moves from a failed concept, especially if the concept was for a character they hadn't negotiated the rights to.
Byleth isn't a scrapped [Character X]. They just took move concepts originally conceived for [Character X].

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm being unclear, but all I'm saying is that the Hunter's inclusion in MvCI means that the Monster Hunter team was okay with the idea of a playable Hunter in a fighting game around the time that Ultimate was being planned. I would simply like to know what it was specifically about Smash that the Monster Hunter team took issue with. I'm not being coy or combative here -- I'm genuinely interested in what happened.
I don't think you're coming across as combative either, I just don't think the specific points of doubt you raised as particularly strong. We know that the Monster Hunter team was historically averse to their characters being used certain ways, so we don't have any reason to think that they had to be burned in order to want to avoid Smash. They just need to be protective (which we know) and negotiations had to break down (which is always a possibility in the best of cases). It's the same attitude that I had to your point about the animations or moves not being distinctive to Monster Hunter; it doesn't really have to be.

Not going to fault anyone for not believing it, but I do think considering a lot of information that we have that a lot of points line up. It doesn't sound nearly as ridiculous as stuffing Byleth in as a last minute replacement for Tracer. Of course, plausibility isn't the same as proof, either.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Byleth isn't a scrapped [Character X]. They just took move concepts originally conceived for [Character X].

Well failed concept characters don't need to be developed/scrapped. And even then, it's easier to just explain Byleth's moveset as a combination of trying to distinctly not repeat concepts from existing FE characters and also represent the three main house lords in some way, as they're all popular and have distinct weapons in their own right. To that end, the only moves that would resemble a MH type move (at least as far as specials are concerned) are Failnaught (neutral bow special) and Aymr (Down axe special), and even then, it's unlikely Failnaught would be MH inspired given how simple its concept is. That just leaves Aymr, which isn't conceptually that far out there either, being similar to Kirby's side special. I really can't help but think that the rumor is just bogus even if it's not supposed to be MH is referencing.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Well failed concept characters don't need to be developed/scrapped. And even then, it's easier to just explain Byleth's moveset as a combination of trying to distinctly not repeat concepts from existing FE characters and also represent the three main house lords in some way, as they're all popular and have distinct weapons in their own right. To that end, the only moves that would resemble a MH type move (at least as far as specials are concerned) are Failnaught (neutral bow special) and Aymr (Down axe special), and even then, it's unlikely Failnaught would be MH inspired given how simple its concept is. That just leaves Aymr, which isn't conceptually that far out there either, being similar to Kirby's side special. I really can't help but think that the rumor is just bogus even if it's not supposed to be MH is referencing.
Byleth getting moves that were intended for a scrapped character and Byleth getting moves that fit them aren't mutually exclusive.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
And as Imran noted, moves and concepts for scrapped content getting rethought and repurposed for something else is nothing new.

A lot of Smash characters that exist today likely share DNA with characters that never left the concept or prototype stage.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Puzzle And Dragons had generic Male and Female Monster Hunters too for its MH collab.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
btw i was checking smashboards and i see a lot of people referring to a chun li / lloyd leak. I assume this was discussed already, but I'm unable to find the source. Does anybody have it?

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Anyone else think that we are probably going to another first party charcter based on what Imran said about ease of getting them

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Byleth getting moves that were intended for a scrapped character and Byleth getting moves that fit them aren't mutually exclusive.

But if it were the case that Byleth got scrapped move concepts, the only things that actually match a potential MH would be Aymr and Failnaught, both of which don't seem distinctly MH based at all.

And I don't think Byleth got moves that fit them. I think they got moves that tried to fit a concept that was to reprsent TH as a whole rather than just Byleth themself. One special for each of the main weapons was a conceit for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.