• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WHO DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE?!

• DANTE

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • MASTER CHIEF

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • SORA

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • CRASH

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • JONESY OR FORTNITE CHARACTER

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • POKEMON

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • XENOBLADE OR OTHER!

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Hey remember when Sakurai made Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede all major characters in Brawl's story mode and Meta Knight was just broken beyond belief in the game itself.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly what we need is an anime samurai who isn't affiliated with Fire Emblem.

71oPNmmsrcL._AC_SY606_.jpg
I honestly don't see the point of a Sakura Wars character if the mech is relegated to the Final Smash.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Subspace was just Sakurai's secret Kirby project, so of course the Kirby characters had important roles. He said he was done with the series, but deep down he knew he wanted to make one more.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mr. EAD sighted meeting with Pete and Claire

unknown.png

Was it just to buy ice cream or did he have a message from known Smash Bros. World Ambassador Captain Falcon?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
What's Mr. EAD even doing with his life nowadays anyway? The group that created him rebranded and his name no longer has any meaning.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Got my 15th character into Elite Smash. I don't know how much longer I can keep doing this, lol.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't be assed to get anybody in there besides K. Rool and Banjo. I vastly prefer arenas to Elite Smash.

It's just such a bad system. People frequently drop out so you don't get any points. I actually should have gotten this character in a long time ago, and I would have, if not for that.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is this... Is this Kanden fanart?

Japanese Kanden fanart?
I'm also pretty amazed to see Sonic eating a chili dog there. I had just assumed offhand that it's decided an American Thing™, but there we are, ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ is チリドッグ.

It was actually really interesting looking at some of the mashups in Pixiv. Some of the stuff is kind of expected if you've developed incredible nerd power. Like you've got a big Super Robot Wars style giant robot mashup that has a bunch of Gundams and Brave series, but also has Impact from Ganbare Goemon and a Power Loader X-4 from the Power Dolls series. And Joy Mech Fight style fanart is pretty popular, I've seen quite a bit of it over the years, so seeing a bunch of Custom Robo characters in the style just feels like a natural match for Nintendo and robot fans. That's all, like, I guess that's stuff that people over there would recognize that isn't part of our gaming experience growing up here.

But then you have someone who was doing Super Robot Wars mockup screenshots art in the style of the GBA or DS games. The first ones I see are Samus Aran and Halo suits, and I think, well, you had some powered armours in some of those games. That makes sense. Then they have Wayne from Lost Planet, and I'm thinking, okay. Giant robots are a big feature in that series, they're just not in it at the moment. Then I see that they have mockups of Dead Space, Gears of War and Half-Life, at which point I'm just like, oh, this person is just a bit fan of American games like Half-Life and Metroid. I understand now.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also pretty amazed to see Sonic eating a chili dog there. I had just assumed offhand that it's decided an American Thing™, but there we are, ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ is チリドッグ.

It was actually really interesting looking at some of the mashups in Pixiv. Some of the stuff is kind of expected if you've developed incredible nerd power. Like you've got a big Super Robot Wars style giant robot mashup that has a bunch of Gundams and Brave series, but also has Impact from Ganbare Goemon and a Power Loader X-4 from the Power Dolls series. And Joy Mech Fight style fanart is pretty popular, I've seen quite a bit of it over the years, so seeing a bunch of Custom Robo characters in the style just feels like a natural match for Nintendo and robot fans. That's all, like, I guess that's stuff that people over there would recognize that isn't part of our gaming experience growing up here.

But then you have someone who was doing Super Robot Wars mockup screenshots art in the style of the GBA or DS games. The first ones I see are Samus Aran and Halo suits, and I think, well, you had some powered armours in some of those games. That makes sense. Then they have Wayne from Lost Planet, and I'm thinking, okay. Giant robots are a big feature in that series, they're just not in it at the moment. Then I see that they have mockups of Dead Space, Gears of War and Half-Life, at which point I'm just like, oh, this person is just a bit fan of American games like Half-Life and Metroid. I understand now.
Sonic's had Chili dogs in the games since Black Knight.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The games eventually adopted the Sonic liking chili dogs thing (first in Unleashed), so the few Sonic fans in Japan are in on it.
Sonic's had Chili dogs in the games since Black Knight.
Oh, I must have either missed or forgotten that. I wonder if Japanese Sonic fans grab onto Sonic memes from the English-speaking Internet the same way that Gundam fans will grab onto Japanese Gundam memes like painting things red to make them faster.

spicynun

Jul 19, 2020
After Steve and the Travis mii, I have no clue who is considered likely. I honestly think people are getting a little too confident on MH ever since that direct tbh.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm remembering the early days of getting exposed to Japanese Nintendo nostalgia through Smash Bros Brawl. Here's some fanart from back in 2008, when people on Smashboards or whatnot were informing Nintendo fans the world over that Joy Mech Fight is super popular in Japan okay. Back when I had to take it on on faith that Takamaru was the frontrunner because I was not yet a man who knew what a Metal Slader Glory was.

2008-08-11zyjzm.gif

2008-08-10pck2l.gif

2008-08-09utkkx.gif

2008-08-08wpk6x.gif

2008-08-07d1k1b.gif

2008-08-06dhjaq.gif

2008-08-05f9jez.gif

2008-08-04b3jnw.gif

2008-08-02xhjkr.gif

Looks like the guy who posted these is still active on Twitter, not sure if they still draw stuff but their pinned tweet is this:

q5k52.jpg

Super Robot Wars memes never die. (The cover being a take on a typical Super Robot Wars cover and the Original Generation subseries. I don't have any idea where these characters are actually from.)

Last edited:

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
There's no way DJ Octavio gets in before the Octolings!

Demi-Fiend
Chosen Undead
Crash
Dovahkin

It's a little weird to me that there was no Dovahkin Mii Costume yet, especially with Vault boy existing. The helmet alone is pretty iconic and recognizable.

Saying for the umpteenth time that no Shin Megami Tensei spirit event or Jack Frost Mii Costume is really weird and sus as all hell.

Dark Souls just makes sense to be in Smash, it's been an influential franchise like Minecraft.

Crash is a no brainer really. It's not my thing, but I think he does deserve to be in.

Still holding to the prediction that Master Chief will not get in unless a Halo game was planned for Switch all along. He has never appeared on a Nintendo platform and doesn't meet one of the only two valid "rules"

Those rules are:

1. Must be a video game character.
2. Must have appeared on a Nintendo platform. Every character on the roster fulfills this. It does not have to be a main game in their series nor do they have to even star prominently in it (see Cloud pre-Switch).
Do we have any idea how popular Dark Souls is in Japan?
It feels really similar to Persona, a Japanese franchise, getting extremely popular in the last 10 years, high quality output of the devs over the last decade, games are on the Switch...

I agree on the rest. I'd still add MH to the very possible candidates tho.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been speculating on Ryu Hayabusa for years. The other regulars of these threads merely tolerate me and my endless speculation. 😜

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
They do alright.
8nHjxsi_d.webp
qvpMaoJ_d.webp
sMBKPyU_d.webp

EDIT: Whoops; I posted this on mobile so I didn't realise how funky the formatting was.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
If we're adding influential games to Smash, which game popularised the collectable cute girls gacha mobile game model?

Cos it feels like there's a new one of those every month trying to cash in.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I hate how they cut so many of the generic versatile costumes in favor of ones based on characters...

The samurai armor died so that Woolly Yoshi could live...

Worst part was how they cut the business suits that could be entirely recolored in favor of the ones where you can only recolor the necktie. RIP my Jeff Mii.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I was listening through the victory themes last night, as one does, and I still don't know what makes K Rool, Bowser, Bowser Jr, Plant, Dark Samus and Ridley good enough for their own themes, but not Ganondorf, Dedede and Wolf...

Or like how Corrin has a unique victory theme, but Doctor Mario doesn't? Even if the FE theme works fine for Corrin, but the flagpole jingle doesn't fit right with Doc...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Only Byleth got one as DLC. Ultimate retroactively went back and changed Robin, Lucina and Corrin. They had the FE theme in Smash 4

Corrin didn't even have her's until the game was almost done. The E3 demo still used the Smash 4 FE theme
Also Chrom, though his was fixed in a later update after being stuck with the default FE victory theme at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.