• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WHO DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE?!

• DANTE

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • MASTER CHIEF

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • SORA

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • CRASH

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • JONESY OR FORTNITE CHARACTER

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • POKEMON

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • XENOBLADE OR OTHER!

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Since we are talking about chances of characters showing up in Fighter Pass 2 just make my post even more relevant. Since people have their logics so let me have mine.

Magic 8-Ball Time!

Would Monster Hunter in Fighter Pass 2?

It is decidedly so!

Would Sora from Kingdom Hearts in Fighter Pass 2?

Most Likely!

Would Crash be in Fighter Pass 2?

My Sources said No

Would we get any representative from Tales for this pass?

It is certain!

Would we get Pokemon as DLC?

Can Not Predict!

Would Geno finally get in?

My Reply is No

Would we get any Xeno character this time?

Better not tell you now

Would we get Fighter Pass 3?

Very Doubtful

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, though I do think we'll get another character earlier in 2021 (maybe around the time we got Byleth).

Yeah, I think January will probably be the earliest we see Fighter #8.

I do think if we're getting an MH character this pass, that'd probably be the best timeframe to reveal it, considering it's roughly around the time MH Rise comes out.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, I think January will probably be the earliest we see Fighter #8.

I do think if we're getting an MH character this pass, that'd probably be the best timeframe to reveal it, considering it's roughly around the time MH Rise comes out.
MH Rise comes out in March. But going by Byleth, it could really be any time if the Hunter is in FP2.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Steve got pushed back four months (from June to October) so assuming Character 8 was supposed to be revealed in September, January sounds right.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think MH would be out in Spring to be closer to Rise's release and also if they had content based in Rise. Gives them a buffer to be able to coordinate better with Capcom/MH team. I also think DLC 8 would at least be announced by December.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
that hasn't delayed any of the other official online Smash tournaments

why would it? They're online based and all the organization stuff is handled by a third party
Sorry. I jumped the gun, but people on Era have had a remarkable ability to ignore the fact that COVID has had a direct impact on scheduling throughout this year.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Steve got pushed back four months (from June to October) so assuming Character 8 was supposed to be revealed in September, January sounds right.
Steve's announcement got delayed 4 months, his release seems to have only been delayed a month or so based on the in-game event numbers

The time between announcement and release was probably originally meant to be similar to Banjo

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what we've been told Steve was a huge problem to create thanks to needing to reprogram all the stages for his mining ability. Maybe the next character will be able to come out quicker.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Steve's announcement got delayed 4 months, his release seems to have only been delayed a month or so based on the in-game event numbers

The time between announcement and release was probably originally meant to be similar to Banjo
And at that point, I feel like the delay was to line up with Minecraft Live.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
MH Rise comes out in March. But going by Byleth, it could really be any time if the Hunter is in FP2.

Eh, January is only like two months away from March. Remember that Hero was revealed and released sometime before DQ11S last year, so it's not like it has to be the exact time Rise comes out. And for what it's worth, Byleth was revealed around the time Three House's DLC was coming out, so it's not like they released them whenever.

Besides, I said January was the earliest we could see the next character. Meaning they could wait until like, the last week of January, or even in February if they're really cruel. Both of those are closer to Rise's release date.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, January is only like two months away from March. Remember that Hero was revealed and released sometime before DQ11S last year, so it's not like it has to be the exact time Rise comes out. And for what it's worth, Byleth was revealed around the time Three House's DLC was coming out, so it's not like they released them whenever.

Besides, I said January was the earliest we could see the next character. Meaning they could wait until like, the last week of January, or even in February if they're really cruel. Both of those are closer to Rise's release date.
Nah I don't think DLC 8 is that far. I think we'll see them in December

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

But at the same time, DQXI itself had been out for years by then. MH Rise on the other hand is an entirely new game. If anything, I could see the Hunter (if they're in) come out after Rise's release.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Mario tournament was supposed to be much earlier in the year so I wouldn't expect Geno based on that

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think the original plan was probably 3 in 2020 and 3 in 2021, so we'll have to see how the pandemic affects that
Realistically, it doesn't seem like the characters themselves were pushed that far back. So at worst, I could see anywhere between a few weeks to a month delay for each character relative to the original plan (pending external plans).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
From what we've been told Steve was a huge problem to create thanks to needing to reprogram all the stages for his mining ability. Maybe the next character will be able to come out quicker.
this is something I've thought about too. Steve seems to have taken a ton of work to get right

if the next character is simpler, it probably won't take as long

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
My guess for the original plan:

Two character reveal at E3 (Min Min + Steve)
One character reveal at the September Direct. After their release, lights out for the rest of the year.
The other three fighters get revealed/released in 2021

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry everyone, Nights will release in December with a Christmas Nights stage, they couldn't delay that one if they tried

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming MH is in the Pass and are releasing for MH Rise my assumption for the schedule pre-pandemic was like this

March 2020- tease DLC 6 being an ARMS character to get a reveal for FP2 as DLC 6 wasn't due until Summer

June 2020- E3 reveals. Full reveal for Min Min and tease for Steve

Fall 2020- Steve release and maybe a Direct thay announces DLC 8

Winter 2020/January 2021- release of DLC 8

Spring 2021- Monster Hunter is announced in Q1 Direct and released late March or April

Summer 2021- E3 reveal blowout with both revealed but DLC 10 releases within a week and DLC 11 releases late Summer or early Fall

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I assume that, like prior MH games, Rise is going to have a pretty lengthy DLC tail, so there's ample tie-in time throughout 2021.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

I see, then I'd guess that Character 8 may have been intended to have a release schedule like Terry (reveal in September, release in November)

In that case, I could maybe see a another Smash presentation in early December like we got for Steve, but January still seems likely. The reveal schedule for next year will probably depend on whether or not they decide to bring back General Directs or not

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
...Little Mac was a first party character added in the base game by Sakurai (and not the Nintendo Shadow Council) back in 2012, when Punch-Out!! Wii was still fresh on everyone's minds.

I don't see how it's comparable.

Was it? Anecdotal evidence and all that, but I didn't really notice it before SSB4. If it found its audience, then sure, being first party makes it uncomparable. Otherwise, not really, both AA6 and HD Trilogy made a lot of buzz.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I feel that Min Min took also longer than expected considering that she can jump/walk while doing most normals and has some attributes that surely made her hard to balance. If the following character is more conventional (like Banjo or Byleth) it could come soonish, if not we will wait a lot again.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Watch Monster Hunter hold them up again with their in-depth inventory and weapon sharpness gimmick, plus having to make a few different armor sets for the alts

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Watch Monster Hunter hold them up again with their in-depth inventory and weapon sharpness gimmick, plus having to make a few different armor sets for the alts
If Monster Hunter gets in, do we think they'll get the Rise starter armor? If so, would it be the default?

I'm kinda leaning towards no for the latter & possibly the former, namely due to the Rathalos armor being too iconic.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Was it? Anecdotal evidence and all that, but I didn't really notice it before SSB4. If it found its audience, then sure, being first party makes it uncomparable. Otherwise, not really, both AA6 and HD Trilogy made a lot of buzz.

Well Sakurai always reviewed all first party games that have been released within few years before the date of their design documents so Punch Out was popular request from the west, and just had a new game.

So that's more likely to be reason why they got in. All inclusions usually have their new games released within 3-5 years beforehand so far as I know except surprise characters tho.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
If Monster Hunter gets in, do we think they'll get the Rise starter armor? If so, would it be the default?

I'm kinda leaning towards no for the latter & possibly the former, namely due to the Rathalos armor being too iconic.
I'd say Rathalos for default, Rise starter as one of the alts.

That is unless they decide to pull a Luminary as to really promote Rise, but I want to say that Capcom wouldn't push that on Sakurai like Square did. Could go either way, though.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'd say Rathalos for default, Rise starter as one of the alts.

That is unless they decide to pull a Luminary as to really promote Rise, but I want to say that Capcom wouldn't push that on Sakurai like Square did. Could go either way, though.
That's where I'm at with regards to Capcom compared to Square Enix with regards to promoting a relevant IP. I'm not sure if they'd be as laser-focused on advertising Rise as SE was in promoting DQXIS. Not to mention that Monster Hunter has way too many iconic armor to pull from (for one, I'd fully expect the Kirin armor to show up as an alt if Monster Hunter gets in).

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
There is no way we are getting another character release this year. I'm going to say very low odds on The Game Awards for an announcement with a release window. But another character in 2020 is not happening.

And I'm still going to have my doubts on Monster Hunter just because it is a little too obvious. Even if we're talking "if Capcom gets chosen, then the obvious character is...". I think this is a trap we're falling into just like with Pokemon. I think we're going to get blindsighted by another Capcom rep that afterwards we're going to be like "Oh yeah... makes sense, but we didn't think it would happen NOW." Either that or capcom is out this pass.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are banking way too much into Rise contents (I don't think majority of the contents would based on Rise) And I think people are starting to bank on Monster Hunter way too much lately.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
There is no way we are getting another character release this year. I'm going to say very low odds on The Game Awards for an announcement with a release window. But another character in 2020 is not happening.

And I'm still going to have my doubts on Monster Hunter just because it is a little too obvious. Even if we're talking "if Capcom gets chosen, then the obvious character is...". I think this is a trap we're falling into just like with Pokemon. I think we're going to get blindsighted by another Capcom rep that afterwards we're going to be like "Oh yeah... makes sense, but we didn't think it would happen NOW." Either that or capcom is out this pass.
To be fair, not all obvious picks end that way (see Dragon Quest). But yeah, if we do get a Capcom character, everything lines up to be in Monster Hunter's favor (especially with Resident Evil out of the picture for FP2).

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I think people are banking way too much into Rise contents (I don't think majority of the contents would based on Rise) And I think people are starting to bank on Monster Hunter way too much lately.
Why not? MH seems a good fit and is a REALLY big series in Japan, also has been associated with Nintendo for 3 generations now. I would personally prefer Resident Evil as it's IMO more iconic and can represent survival horror, but MH makes more sense if we consider DLC sales.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Possible Characters based on the colors
Lloyd (Red)
But the Bandai Namco character known for having an image colour of red is Haruka Amami.
GybAmYl.png

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? MH seems a good fit and is a REALLY big series in Japan, also has been associated with Nintendo for 3 generations now. I would personally prefer Resident Evil as it's IMO more iconic and can represent survival horror, but MH makes more sense if we consider DLC sales.

As a new Monster Hunter fan, I would absolutely love to see Monster Hunter getting a playable rep in Smash Bros but nowadays I feel like people are putting way too much stakes on Monster Hunter as upcoming rep for Fighter Pass 2.

Nothing is wrong with speculating about Monster Hunter but I have seen some people acting it's absolute that Monster Hunter will be in, which eerily reminded us of some early speculation like Bayonetta wouldn't be in Smash Bros, etc.

I meant why Monster Hunter World often didn't even get any mentions for moveset or location? Considering MHW as a breakout title for the franchise with many new fans. What if they just went with a location from Generations or World. or even old titles.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Lloyd? More like Llame. Gottem.
But seriously, don't add Lloyd, I would not like Lloyd. Add Yuri instead.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
That's where I'm at with regards to Capcom compared to Square Enix with regards to promoting a relevant IP. I'm not sure if they'd be as laser-focused on advertising Rise as SE was in promoting DQXIS. Not to mention that Monster Hunter has way too many iconic armor to pull from (for one, I'd fully expect the Kirin armor to show up as an alt if Monster Hunter gets in).
Yeah, Kirin armor sounds about right, but I wonder what other set they'd go with in addition to it, Rathalos, and Rise. Maybe Zinogre?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I completely agree there. The Wirebug would make sense for their Up B, but I doubt they'd lean too heavily on Rise otherwise.

As a new Monster Hunter fan, I would absolutely love to see Monster Hunter getting a playable rep in Smash Bros but nowadays I feel like people are putting way too much stakes on Monster Hunter as upcoming rep for Fighter Pass 2.

Nothing is wrong with speculating about Monster Hunter but I have seen some people acting it's absolute that Monster Hunter will be in, which eerily reminded us of some early speculation like Bayonetta wouldn't be in Smash Bros, etc.

I meant why Monster Hunter World often didn't even get any mentions for moveset or location? Considering MHW as a breakout title for the franchise with many new fans. What if they just went with a location from Generations or World. or even old titles.
And again you took the words right out of my mouth. I could see World being a bigger focus since it's the game that propelled Monster Hunter to worldwide fame.

Yeah, Kirin armor sounds about right, but I wonder what other set they'd go with in addition to it, Rathalos, and Rise. Maybe Zinogre?
I'd say Zinogre, Gore Magala, or Nergigante.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Monster Hunter makes sense from a legacy standpoint, sales numbers and tie-in promotion too. Really, I think this is different from Tekken's or Resident Evil's cases where people just went "we got Persona 5 and DQ, so let's all look at all other big Japanese 3rd party franchises!", which was way too broad.

Because the timing seems to line up too well with a Rise tie-in if we do end up getting it next year.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
i am not paying 6 dollars to add a guy named lloyd to this fighting game

though i did just pay for a guy named steve, hm

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think Rise will factor into a Monster Hunter character's design. I could see Nintendo requesting Monster Hunter with the knowledge that Capcom has two games planned for Switch, but Sakurai doesn't seem to have special access to third-party games that are in development. Even the DQXI stage was based on the existing PS4 version of the game.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Steve's slot was actually supposed to go to a Bandai Namco rep but when Nintendo glasses man heard about Namco killing a Switch version of .Hack//GU, he had Sakurai reconsider making Steve work in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.