• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WHO DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE?!

• DANTE

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • MASTER CHIEF

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • SORA

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • CRASH

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • JONESY OR FORTNITE CHARACTER

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • POKEMON

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • XENOBLADE OR OTHER!

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart Live has me curious if Nintendo would be more open to outsource bigger franchises like Mario Kart more often in the future. At least giving them the benefit of being co-developers.

Velan Studios is made of ex-Vicarious Visions guys, and I'm already noticing lots of unique animations on Mario/Luigi that we wouldn't see in a more rigid template of animations from mainline Mario Kart games.

Smash certainly would benefit of fully going Bamco only next time, if Sakurai feels like retiring from the series. Heck, I'd say a 3rd DLC season for Ultimate solely made by Bamco guys would make a good test, with Sakurai just as supervisor of sorts.
I'm not sure a fancy remote controlled car is a good replacement for proper Mario Kart, and Bamco developing Smash without Sakurai wouldn't be the same.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Skeleton fight wasn't too bad. Steve's aerials are decent enough to bring them down, and the stage geometry gives you plenty of time to mine

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I intentionally handicap myself for Spirit Boards (because, like, where's the fun in steamrolling them?) so I found the Skeletons, the Endermen, and the Piglin pretty tough.

Three Links suddenly getting final smashes is scary when any one of them can OHKO you.
Yes, definitely! The Skeleton one really shouldn't have been as hard as it was with the handicaps. On my best run, I dodged all 3 of their final smashes. Really brutal!

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm not sure a fancy remote controlled car is a good replacement for proper Mario Kart, and Bamco developing Smash without Sakurai wouldn't be the same.
I obviously wasn't talking about anything mechanic or gameplay-wise, but more about the flavor or another team working in a well known IP like Mario Kart.

Bamco working alone on Smash though, probably wouldn't change much of how characters/content are developed, specially if someone from the studio is chosen by Sakurai himself as a successor

Last edited:

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I wouldn't doubt that Sakurai has handed most dev over to the team. And everything he does is design and testing balance. And then working with the third parties.

He could probably let go of the testing aspect and some design stuff.

Aug 12, 2019

Just use those input during stage selection.

I really, really wish that Sakurai would go back and turn this into an option for traveling stages with multiple locations. We already know it's technically possible with the way they've set up multiple Spirit Battles, but giving players the option to choose stage locales would be an incredible way to get even more life out of the existing stages and content in the game with an option.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It just feels a bit different to me since it resembles absolutely nothing from any of the Fatal Fury games (which the stage is labeled as belonging to) and only loosely resembles three stages from across The King of Fighters' 20 year history. And then there are the original KOF logos using the Smash emblem in place of the "O," making it the only stage that openly acknowledges the crossover with Smash.
There's also PunchOut's Boxing Ring at least, although I can't remember if there are any others.

The classification of the stage as Fatal Fury based is kind of weird too though, especially considering the heavy number of KoF cameos specifically (and only characters who were in KoF, even if they originated from other series, it's not like we got Samurai Shodown or Metal Slug cameos there). The only thing that makes it really Fatal Fury based is how the tournament's name there is spelled "King of Fighters" rather than "The King of Fighters".

The older Fire Emblem games are so visually simplistic that Coliseum could be justified as a modern interpretation of a recurring locale dating back to 1990, but it's much harder to categorize KOF Stadium. You can't really say it's from 1991 or 1994 when Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters '94 don't contain stadiums. It also seems odd to place it in 1996 when the KOF96 arena has a totally different classical Greco-Roman aesthetic.
I don't think the graphics were that simplistic. The FE coliseum in Smash clearly uses elements mostly from the more recent arenas, rather than the older ones, even if it's not really identical to any actual FE arena either.

The one in Smash is nothing like these two for example.
youhei.png

Ss_fe04_arena_battle.png

But then when you look at more recent ones there are some clear similarities.
And you can see from where this came from even if it's still an original design

ssb4_settle_the_score_at_the_coliseum_by_machrider14-d7l8he1.jpg

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It always interested me how Geese was classified as being from KoF in Tekken 7, while Sakurai was more specific in saying that Terry is from Fatal Fury. Normally I'd chalk it up to where the designs came from for each character, but Terry's design in Smash originated from KoF.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It always interested me how Geese was classified as being from KoF in Tekken 7
Is he? All the press copy I've seen mentions Fatal Fury.
Geese Howard from Fatal Fury enters the TEKKEN 7 ring! Facing off against the likes of Heihachi, Paul, and Akuma, Geese Howard sports his signature red hakama training pants as he vows to destroy the TEKKEN fighters. Jump into the arena where the TEKKEN and Fatal Fury universes collide!
The TEKKEN and Fatal Fury Universes Collide as Geese Howard Joins the Next Battle in TEKKEN 7

Building upon its stellar launch in the Americas, TEKKEN 7 is bringing another famous guest character to join the next battle with Geese Howard from the Fatal Fury franchise.
Get ready for the next battle! Geese Howard from the Fatal Fury franchise is now available as a playable character in TEKKEN 7.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Steve is a remarkably designed character and brings some interesting new concepts into Smash, but after playing him for a couple of hours I think I can safely chalk him up as "not for me". He reminds me of a character that'd be added into Smash 4 where they overcommit so much around his gimmick that he feels very inorganic in Smash; learning to play with him pushes the mental capacity a whole bunch whereas playing against him is also a bit frustrating, resulting in me not caring much for any aspect of him in play. He's funny to watch though, and I expect him to be a solid character/very entertaining to witness once people master him months later, but I think he ranks as one of my least favorite addition to the game so far, above Byleth. I'm a little bit disappointed admittedly, since I actually got really interested based on his trailer, but the character stresses me out too much to control. A lot of people seem to be having fun with him though so that's good.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Does Steve actually need to mine Redstone or is mining it just for show? It does not show up in your resources and I never seem to run out.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
My brother and I are having a blast with Steve. We used to do a lot of survival minecraft in early highschool around when 1.0 dropped.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Melee announcer yelling Mario's name is my second favorite announcer call.

Melee announcer yelling "ALLLLLL-STAAAAARRRRRR!" is my favorite.

It's taken me such a long time to get used to the post-Melee Smash announcer (I think it's been consistent since Brawl?)

It could be nostalgia bias but I just do not like the current announcer's tone at all, even if it's technically better and easier to understand than the bizarre 64 and Melee voice clips. Maybe it's just less personality, or a different personality that I'm less into.

Like, what were they going for with the "failure" clip from 64? I have no idea, but it's weird enough to be really memorable and fits with the scattershot 90s aesthetics of the original Smash Bros IMO. Xander Mobus' delivery is too clean for my taste, I think.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
by the way, it's impossible to do the Enderman spirit battle in a "real" match because Abra is actually unable to spawn on Minecraft World

So that spirit battle is the only instance where you will see Abra on Minecraft World

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's taken me such a long time to get used to the post-Melee Smash announcer (I think it's been consistent since Brawl?)
Each Smash game has had a different announcer except from Smash 3DS/Wii U to Smash Ultimate, who is Xander Mobus.

And yeah, Dean Harrington (Melee) is still my favorite.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Brawl has a pretty great "WOW! Incredible!" (2:27)

I'm sad 64 didn't have that line now.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
The 64/Melee announcers are classic but Xander has some good line reads too. "Bowser... Jr?", "MEGA MAAN", and "Greninja ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)" are top tier.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
What moveset would you suggest for him/her/them ?
I came up with this in the previous thread:

So I'm 100% getting the Bomberman Mii costume when it releases and I'm trying to find a "canon" moveset for him. Here's what I came up with:

B: Shotput - Self explanatory, he uses this in the trailer he's shown off in and it's the closest thing he has to throwing a bomb.
Side-B: Burning Drop Kick - I think Bomberman needs some fire-element attack and this is the only other available special move he has that has it. The other two side-B's don't really make much sense, either.
Up-B: None of these are ideal, but Thrust Uppercut is probably the best since Bomberman since in Bomberman games you can obtain the Gloves which allows you to punch bombs, and this is the only punching up-B.
Down-B: Head-On Assault, easily. In another fighting game Bomberman stars in, he actually uses a very similar move. You can see him use it at 1:33 in the video below.

The only other thing left to account for is the voice. Bomberman has had different voices throughout the games since the 5th generation, I believe. Sometimes high-pitched like in Bomberman 64, and sometimes more normal-pitched like in Super Bomberman R. Which voice type should I go with here? And also, any comments on the above?

I think the only truly interchangeable one is his up-B.

By the way, I decided to mimic his Bomberman 64 voice. I felt that Voice 8 (Normal) was the best fit for that. If you want his Super Bomberman R voice, then Voice 1 (Normal) would likely be the best.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
One easily observed thing is that Japanese audiences, at least the ones who vote, tend to be more interested in cute girl types of characters. Arle and Ashley are big ones, but I think Roll is also surprisingly popular, if far down the line.
Weirdly enough, I don't think we have any playable fighters perfectly fitting this profile yet, no? We have some girls but they all seem to have a bit of an edge to them. And, well, I'm assuming Isabelle doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.