• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The real tragedy is that the day Geno gets in a huge chunk of Smash fans will stop caring and just move on to the next speculated character. It's weird how some people care more about wishing for a character than actually playing them.

Guess they love the idea of the endless possibilities speculation allows for and once a character gets in that's put to an end. Geno would no longer be able to be anything and would now only be what Sakurai said he can be.

Speculation and actually engaging with the thing you get are two different kinds of fun.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, but they still followed "the rules" of Smash speculation. Geno doesn't. It's the difference between being a long desired missing piece that rocketed to memetic proportions and a character who only has the wishes of his fanbase.
Geno is one thing though; a Mario character. This is a series that will continue to get new characters in Smash cos it's that big and yet has used up most of its pool of main characters. If any series will have to rely on more obscure fodder, it's Mario.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The real tragedy is that the day Geno gets in a huge chunk of Smash fans will stop caring and just move on to the next speculated character. It's weird how some people care more about wishing for a character than actually playing them.

Guess they love the idea of the endless possibilities speculation allows for and once a character gets in that's put to an end. Geno would no longer be able to be anything and would now only be what Sakurai said he can be.

So like this, then
f40.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geno is one thing though; a Mario character. This is a series that will continue to get new characters in Smash cos it's that big and yet has used up most of its pool of main characters. If any series will have to rely on more obscure fodder, it's Mario.

The pedigree of being a Mario character probably does help Geno a lot tbh, even if he's just from one game.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I still think it'd be really weird if Geno was playable before Waluigi

Like I consider Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo more important than Waluigi because they're reoccuring villains or main protagonists, but for what it's worth, I consider Waluigi more important than Geno. They're both alike in that they're Mario characters that have only ever really appeared in non-mainline Mario titles, but to give Waluigi credit, he's appeared in nearly every spinoff since 2000, whereas Geno was only a party member in one game from twenty years ago, and the only thing he got afterwards was his lifeless husk appearing as a cameo in Mario & Luigi.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
With characters like K. Rool and Banjo, part of the intense speculation was wondering how they'd look in a modern game. (With Ridley, it was wondering how Sakurai would implement them.) I feel like there's some of that with Geno, but Geno is more inconsequential as a character so it feels more like of an "oh, neat" thing for me to see his design fully realized in Smash. Like, it'll be cool, but not this historic moment where a once famous and iconic character was brought back to life. Just this weird obscure spin-off character being put on a pedestal he had never been on before. It's a different effect.

Anyway, I played some matches earlier today with K. Rool. Still stoked he's in!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Honestly I still think it'd be really weird if Geno was playable before Waluigi

Like I consider Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo more important than Waluigi because they're reoccuring villains or main protagonists, but for what it's worth, I consider Waluigi more important than Geno. They're both alike in that they're Mario characters that have only ever really appeared in non-mainline Mario titles, but to give Waluigi credit, he's appeared in nearly every spinoff since 2000, whereas Geno was only a party member in one game from twenty years ago, and the only thing he got afterwards was his lifeless husk appearing as a cameo in Mario & Luigi.
Then again, Geno is more important in his one major appearance than Waluigi has ever been in any of his appearances. Also the last Mario character was Piranha Plant, so I think we can just toss out any "importance to the franchise" hierarchy here.

They'll both be playable eventually, so it really doesn't matter if Geno is getting in first.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Toadette is the only member of the "core" Mario cast to never make any physical appearance in Smash Bros

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi, Rosalina, Wario, Bowser, Bowser Jr, DK and Diddy are all playable, Waluigi is an Assist and Toad is part of Peach's/Daisy's moveset

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Toadette is the only member of the "core" Mario cast to never make any physical appearance in Smash Bros

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi, Rosalina, Wario, Bowser, Bowser Jr, DK and Diddy are all playable, Waluigi is an Assist and Toad is part of Peach's/Daisy's moveset
Pauline says hi, though I guess she only recently joined the core cast.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think Geno's biggest problem is Square Enix. People will be lucky if the Mii costume comes back.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

Toadette is a Master Spirit in Ultimate at least, so while she doesn't physically appear, she still has a somewhat special role.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We got the Spirit so some negotiation had to occur.

If he's not playable then I think the costume is being held off for a rework with some music.

Yeah, we know some negotiation had to occur. They already had to talk to them about Cloud (and we all sort of know how THAT almost went).

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think Geno's biggest problem is Square Enix. People will be lucky if the Mii costume comes back.

SE seemingly had no problem with letting Geno and Mallow appears as spirit. And Dragon Quest got a healthy amount of representation with the sole exception being the music, and that's more on Sugiyama's fuckery than SE themselves. It's only the Final Fantasy department that has been a collaborative blunder for Smash/Sakurai.

Geno to me feels like a character that Sakurai knows is popular, but just hasn't been able to prioritise. Because what would you go for, a 20 year old one-off Mario RPG party member or characters from two of the biggest historical franchises in the Japanese gaming industry (FF and DQ)? But now they're both out of the way, so who knows what they'll do now.

Geno's competition is now with...2B, I guess. I'd say Sora also, but he's really a Disney character, so I don't know.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
SE seemingly had no problem with letting Geno and Mallow appears as spirits. And Dragon Quest got a healthy amount of representation with the sole exception being the music, and that's more on Sugiyama's fuckery than SE themselves. It's only the Final Fantasy department that has been a collaborative blunder for Smash/Sakurai.

Geno to me feels like a character that Sakurai knows is popular, but just hasn't been able to priortise. Because what would you go for, a 20 year old one-off Mario RPG member or characters from two of the biggest historical franchises in the Japanese gaming industry (FF and DQ)? But now they're both out of the way, so who knows what they'll do now.

Geno's competition is now with...2B, I guess. I'd say Sora also, but he's really a Disney character, so I don't know.

This is a good time to remind everyone that Sakurai isn't making the decisions for who gets in.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
how is Pauline a member of the core cast? She's appeared in two spin off games which also features notable characters like Detective Baby Rosalina and blue Paratroopa

I don't even think she has the official "core art" character art?
club_nintendo_mario_characters.png
Neither is Rosalina, but she was considered a core character relatively quickly after Galaxy dropped.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I do think it's stupid how people decry Waluigi for being "just a meme" and then immediately turn around and ask for Geno.

Not saying anyone in this thread does that, but it's definitely a thing.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
My distaste for Geno could probably be more accurately described as genuine confusion. I'm just completely apathetic towards him. He's a one-off party member with practically nonexistent characterization, and I don't think he's even remotely cool looking enough to justify what his Smash fandom has become.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There are so many "Smash characters living normal lives, remembering their own past experiences but now they inhabit the same apartment block" webcomics that Nintendo could make a very profitable soap opera out of the concept

That or they could retool Tomodachi Life

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it just comes down to if SE is willing to let Geno get in instead of trying to push for any other character they have. Sakurai wants him, but i don't feel Nintendo wants him enough to push for him if SE counter offers with someone bigger, regardless of who it is. Geno does nothing for SE compared to what else they could have, unless something SMRPG or Nintendo offers something in return. I don't see SE going with it to be nice to the fans. Not how they operate. You could say they like money, but they have plenty of other characters that would make more money and press.

Its really on Nintendo though. Dunno if they want anything else from SE at all atm unless Nier Automata or FF14 (pls no) came to Switch, which would be big. I don't see them wanting to deal with SE over a character unless its the big time when they could go for something else.

But hey i've been wrong before. Nintendo may surprise me

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My distaste for Geno could probably be more accurately described as genuine confusion. I'm just completely apathetic towards him. He's a one-off party member with practically nonexistent characterization, and I don't think he's even remotely cool looking enough to justify what his Smash fandom has become.

I don't care too much about the character himself but now that he would come with a Super Mario RPG stage, I'd be pretty hyped.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I dunno; I haven't seen any Geno memes as obnoxious as the Waluigi and Steve stuff.

That might change when he gets revealed in two weeks though.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno; I haven't seen any Geno memes as obnoxious as the Waluigi and Steve stuff.

Honestly, I don't think there are any Geno meme. I always see Waluigi and Steve meme more frequently lately but Waluigi didn't really have any meme during Smash 4 or early Ultimate. The meme came forward after his disconfirmation.

It's more of obnoxious fanboys (but it's the normal for all fanbases.)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The best thing Geno has is the dabbing gif and even that is tainted because it's being used by Wishes as his Smash.gg pic (the competitive guy who's in that Smash clip on Twitter making the rounds trash talking the Luigi player) so I'm already wired to hate it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Meme" has lost all meaning.

All memeing, if you will.

The best thing Geno has is the dabbing gif and even that is tainted because it's being used by Wishes as his Smash.gg pic (the competitive guy who's in that Smash clip on Twitter making the rounds trash talking the Luigi player) so I'm already wired to hate it.

Aw man.

Can I post this one at least?

MFIeZCP.gif

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Had we gotten the Super Mario Land stage in Smash 3DS, at least Daisy would have had an actual theme in the game instead of having to settle for Mario spin off music (WoL actually uses the one SML remix we have)

It's too bad Sega doesn't let them use Olympics remixes

Status
Not open for further replies.