• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Knux and Rouge are pretty chummy in the ending.
True, but i'm also talking from a gameplay perspective too. They were direct analogues in SA2; and I kinda miss Rouge using kicks instead of punching like Knuckles.

It's not like either have been playable in a ton of 3D games after Heroes anyway, so there was never a good chance bring back that gameplay style.

Fang/Nack, Bean, and Bark would have made a solid team of troublemakers. Not sure who Mighty and Ray would team up with. Heavy and Bomb as one character?
Metal Sonic, according to the original team plans.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, so would that mean that I could do a Sucker Punch and put two Sonics into a Sonic-focused multiplayer title?

Wait, I'm getting off topic.

...Sonic-focused Smash clone?

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Lloyd is alive.

e35.gif

Oct 28, 2017
Flynn's only allowed to use Modern characters since Sega decided that Classic was a separate timeline.

Forces? Black Knight? Lost World? Canon.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Non-canon.
I was never a fan of making Classic a separate timeline instead of a being just Sonic from the past. It mucks up the story of SA1 where it's clearly set up as a continuation of Sonic 3&K. It's gonna be real awkward if Sonic Team decides to remake SA1 while keeping with "classic dimension" idea.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Flynn's only allowed to use Modern characters since Sega decided that Classic was a separate timeline.

Forces? Black Knight? Lost World? Canon.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Non-canon.
Oh my god. Why can't there be a modern version of these characters? Do they have to wait until Sega makes them?

This is why I'm not a fan of current era Sonic. The "Classic" vs. "Modern" thing was always the dumbest shit to me. Sonic grew up. He naturally progressed to an updated design, and so did the rest of the cast. There is no "Classic Sonic" or "Modern Sonic" to me. It's just "Sonic." All of the events from Sonic 1 until now should matter. Every character should matter. It's fucking dumb.

tumblr_lolagtxmz41qie3i0.gif

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't commit to six names for the prediction contest, but I do feel very strongly about what's not going to be included in FP2.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was never a fan of making Classic a separate timeline instead of a being just Sonic from the past. It mucks up the story of SA1 where it's clearly set up as a continuation of Sonic 3&K. It's gonna be real awkward if Sonic Team decides to remake SA1 while keeping with "classic dimension" idea.

My interpretation is that the events of Adventure are a sort of divergence in the timeline, so in the Classic Sonic universe Chaos was never unleashed, but the events of 1, 2, 3 & CD are still canon in the Adventure timeline.

Does make it real dumb that Fang etc. are off-limits though but Sega gonna Sega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Why can't there be a modern version of these characters? Do they have to wait until Sega makes them?
That's the thing; Sega aren't going to make their own modern versions of those characters. In interviews related to Mania, i'm pretty sure it was stated that Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bean and Bark will only exist in "Classic Sonic's World". That's the reason why I brought up the early Heroes teams with those five in the first place, it sucks that they just aren't allowed to exist now.

It's weird that this is only coming into play for IDW series though, those characters were allowed to be in the post-Super Genesis Wave Archie continuity.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing; Sega aren't going to make their own modern versions of those characters. In interviews related to Mania, i'm pretty sure it was stated that Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bean and Bark will only exist in "Classic Sonic's World". That's the reason why I brought up the early Heroes teams with those five in the first place, it sucks that they just aren't allowed to exist now.

It's weird that this is only coming into play for IDW series though, those characters were allowed to be in the post-Super Genesis Wave Archie continuity.

IIRC it was with Forces and Mania where Sega decided that they were two different timelines, and Archie Sonic was on its deathbed by then.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Both Sonic 06 and Ken Penders were pretty much the 1-2 punch that resulted in the Sonic brand becoming so sterile and safe in recent years.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As we close in on the final pages of this thread, I'm just going to sit back and appreciate how appropriate our title choice was this time around.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As we close in on the final pages of this thread, I'm just going to sit back and appreciate how appropriate our title choice was this time around.

Oh god we're stuck with another Fire Emblem OT title.

To think I'll have to wait just that much longer for Geno's OT title: Geno is IN but no Dante.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Penders really did a number on Sega, damn.
There's a lot of things going on with the comic and the series in general I think is kinda related to penders. I also and don't hurt me, don't think its the worst idea. I'm also not fond of shadow showing up in classic games. Different versions of sonic having different casts and focuses seem...fine

Both Sonic 06 and Ken Penders were pretty much the 1-2 punch that resulted in the Sonic brand becoming so sterile and safe in recent years.
There was a third punch, sega listened to bunch of folks who were never that interested in 3d sonic in the first place for far too long. To the degree in which , now where they have given those people classic sonic and now they have no reason to care about 3d are now stuck because it seems like no one at sega knows why ...anyone liked anything in sonic. Because instead of investigating and growing, they were trying to stay safe and inoffensive to a group of people who never cared.

It wouldn't really be that akward. Nothing in sa1 or 2 requires a classic connection

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Enough about Smash Predictions, it's time for some SmashEra Predictions!

With a certain somebody running away from another thread over a lost avatar bet, it's time to predict what community will be next!

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
What are they, exactly?
  • No super secret upcoming Nintendo character that the public doesn't know about yet -- if we get a promotional character they'll come from a game that's already been revealed or released
  • No Master Chief or Steve
  • No Western characters in general besides maybe Crash
  • No Tales, SMT, or Xenosaga
  • No indie characters
  • No Arle or Reimu
  • No female characters besides maybe Chun-Li, 2B, or someone from Nintendo

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, so would that mean that I could do a Sucker Punch and put two Sonics into a Sonic-focused multiplayer title?

Wait, I'm getting off topic.

...Sonic-focused Smash clone?
Nah, go with a traditional Sonic fighting game like Sonic the Fighters. It's been a long time since we've had one.
It wouldn't really be that akward. Nothing in sa1 or 2 requires a classic connection
SA1's story is centered around the Master Emerald and built on the lore of Angel Island from Sonic 3, Knuckles' initial distrust of Sonic is even brought up again as the basis for their boss fight. Nowadays, Sonic Team never features Knuckles as the guardian of Master Emerald or brings up Angel Island.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now, I don't want to name any names...

but yeah. He "left" the Nintendo Direct threads because he lost an avatar bet over when the next Direct would be. And by left, I mean he put the thread and the person he made the bet with on ignore, lol.

I welched on my Steve avatar a day before it was up so I don't think I'm in a position to judge.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
DT 11| Waiting for Nintendot
  • No super secret upcoming Nintendo character that the public doesn't know about yet -- if we get a promotional character they'll come from a game that's already been revealed or released
  • No indie characters
  • No Arle or Reimu
This is like, my exact take as well.

Hope y'all are ready for Kiryu and Sol Badguy

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
  • No indie characters
  • No Arle or Reimu
I like how you felt the need to call out Reimu individually despite already saying no indie characters ;)

Anyway, just because you weren't personally familiar with Puyo Puyo/Arle before Smash speculation doesn't make them unlikely, but I think we've been over that.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Enough about Smash Predictions, it's time for some SmashEra Predictions!

With a certain somebody running away from another thread over a lost avatar bet, it's time to predict what community will be next!
The only other NintendoEra thread that stays active consistently is the BotW2 speculation thread

So what I'm saying is it's time to start a bet over whether it'll be shown off at E3

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, since we're talking predictions, here's a reminder for the contest again for anyone who hasn't posted in it.

www.resetera.com

Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Fighters Pass VOL. 2 | Prediction Contest

I would like to invite everyone to join this contest: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighters Pass Vol.2 Roster Prediction Contest. The point of this contest is that people would have to predict most accurate roster for Fighters Pass Vol. 2 in order to win the contest. I would like to remind...

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
  • No indie characters
  • No Arle or Reimu
I mostly agree. I really want an SMT rep but I don't think they're particularly likely.

The only one I kind of go the other way on is I think BotW2 has a decent shot of getting character similar to Byleth and Three Houses, and while that's technically been announced the character them self would either be brand new or a returning Zelda character we don't know is coming back yet.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, go with a traditional Sonic fighting game like Sonic the Fighters. It's been a long time since we've had one.

SA1's story is centered around the Master Emerald and built on the lore of Angel Island from Sonic 3, Knuckles' initial distrust of Sonic is even brought up again as the basis for their boss fight. Nowadays, Sonic Team never features Knuckles as the guardian of Master Emerald or brings up Angel Island.
Not at all. Nothing from sonic 3 is actually required, and most of the content in the game is new content in terms of narrative. Also they do feature him as guardian, even in promotional material and crossover material. If you can't take it from me, take it from Ian Flynn a writter who writes the comic swho's strait up said the classic modern sonic split doesn't really matter that much because versions of events from classic games could have just still happened. The thing that fucks up the story is the two worlds split. Other than that, everything is fine. They also don't mind making knuckles antagonistic on occasion. And would most likely not mind doing so again, for a game that's supposed to take place in the past. In fact knuckles gradual friendship could actually be seen as an arc over the course of several remade games. So not only is that a non problem .Its something that can be used to enhance the narratives

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. Nothing from sonic 3 is actually required, and most of the content in the game is new content in terms of narrative. Also they do feature him as guardian, even in promotional material and crossover material. If you can't take it from me, take it from Ian Flynn a writter who writes the comic swho's strait up said the classic modern sonic split doesn't really matter that much because versions of events from classic games could have just still happened. The thing that fucks up the story is the two worlds split. Other than that, everything is fine. They also don't mind making knuckles antagonistic on occasion. And would most likely not mind doing so again, for a game that's supposed to take place in the past. In fact knuckles gradual friendship could actually be seen as an arc over the course of several remade games. So not only is that a non problem .Its something that can be used to enhance the narratives

Yeah but like, it never will.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I actually do think a game we don't know about could have a character in season 2. I could see a double reveal of the game and of Smash inclusion. (It happened before with Isabelle and the reveal of New Horizons.)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually do think a game we don't know about could have a character in season 2. I could see a double reveal of the game and of Smash inclusion. (It happened before with Isabelle and the reveal of New Horizons.)

Isabelle's a major character in a long established series, the thing that let Fire Emblem have a free ride from now until the end of time. I can't think of any upcoming Nintendo titles where we don't already know who the main characters are.

Status
Not open for further replies.