• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be against a Prinny. Disgaea 5 launched with the Switch. The ports of 1 and 4 did very well.
Prinny 1 and 2 got just announced for Switch.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
You know what maybe it was for the best Nintendo and Rare parted ways.

It should be noted that Diddy Kong Racing DS was handeled by Rare's handheld team, which, to be honest, never really made super great games, even when Nintendo and Rare were together.

The Donkey Kong Land games and Grunty's Revenge aren't necessarily bad, but they definitely feel like "C-Team" games, same thing with something like Conker's Pocket Tales. Ultimately I think there's kind of a reason they're not typically brought up when people are talking about how great Rare's games were.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least it had Dixie Kong during the dark ages of no playable Dixie outside Baseball and Hoops for some wonderful reason

Hoops. Now that's a game with a good roster and an aesthetically pleasing character select screen. I miss the days of Dixie and Birdo showing up in Mario spinoffs. Also, those FF characters are very nice and I love their designs. White Mage is almost, like, proto Rosalina.

tumblr_oudeti4fBB1rrftcdo1_540.gifv
maxresdefault.jpg

Sep 20, 2018
Apologies if this has been posted before, but what are people's thoughts on this?

www.youtube.com

Predicting Smash Ultimate's Fighters Pass 2... with MATH | Backseat Game Development

Everyone has their predictions for which characters will be in Smash Ultimate's second Fighters Pass based on their love for video gaming and expertise in th...

It's a long video, but basically it boils down to them using math to predict the fighter pass will consist of

1). Birdo (Yoshi echo)
2). The Prince (from Prince of Persia)
3). Sirfetch'd
4). Ryo (from Shenmue)
5). Monokuma and Monomi
6). Geno.

I of course don't think that will be it, but in terms of who was picked, it feels as unpredictable as FP2 is likely to be. But then I suppose one wouldn't be able to predict it with math.

Also, whatever happened to Crash? Didn't someone who predicted Byleth way before anyone was talking about them predict him next? Did that leaker get proven as false/lucky, or is it just that since they never leaked anything before they have no credibility really other than one correct guess?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be against a Prinny. Disgaea 5 launched with the Switch. The ports of 1 and 4 did very well.
Prinny 1 and 2 got just announced for Switch.
Would probably be Laharl but either would be interesting despite not being to huge on the series.

But I know I say it shouldn't be a big deal often in these matters, but does Etna have ANY art that could make it in this game?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I'd be down for a Disgaea character so long as it's not a Prinny (not a fan of mascot characters when there are perfectly good actual protagonists).

The more obscure JRPGs we get, the less people can object to Estelle.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but what are people's thoughts on this?

www.youtube.com

Predicting Smash Ultimate's Fighters Pass 2... with MATH | Backseat Game Development

Everyone has their predictions for which characters will be in Smash Ultimate's second Fighters Pass based on their love for video gaming and expertise in th...

It's a long video, but basically it boils down to them using math to predict the fighter pass will consist of

1). Birdo (Yoshi echo)
2). The Prince (from Prince of Persia)
3). Sirfetch'd
4). Ryo (from Shenmue)
5). Monokuma and Monomi
6). Geno.

I of course don't think that will be it, but in terms of who was picked, it feels as unpredictable as FP2 is likely to be. But then I suppose one wouldn't be able to predict it with math.

Also, whatever happened to Crash? Didn't someone who predicted Byleth way before anyone was talking about them predict him next? Did that leaker get proven as false/lucky, or is it just that since they never leaked anything before they have no credibility really other than one correct guess?
That has been discussed and it's still a terrible list.

That Crash guy came out and admitted he wasn't real.

Sep 20, 2018
I'd be down for a Disgaea character so long as it's not a Prinny (not a fan of mascot characters when there are perfectly good actual protagonists).

The more obscure JRPGs we get, the less people can object to Estelle.

That has been discussed and it's still a terrible list.

That Crash guy came out and admitted he wasn't real.

Ah okay! Good to know on both fronts! Sorry for bringing up an old topic, or old topic(s) at that.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

www.youtube.com

Strange choices, but I would love Birdo as a Yoshi echo.

As for Crash, the guy that predicted him said a regular direct was coming weeks ago. He was a lucky guesser or deleted old tweets before blowing up.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was humming the Ultimate theme and just realized, I can't even fucking remember the Smash 4 theme.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Hoops. Now that's a game with a good roster and an aesthetically pleasing character select screen. I miss the days of Dixie and Birdo showing up in Mario spinoffs. Also, those FF characters are very nice and I love their designs. White Mage is almost, like, proto Rosalina.

maxresdefault.jpg
Such great art, style, vibe, visuals, music....

But holy shit was it ever frustrating, the CPU were unforgiving

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

maxresdefault.jpg

It's kinda weird we never got that more flexible cactuar design in the mainline Final Fantasy games, would stick out a little less than the one that basically has no animation frames in the hyper-real FFXV

But yeah I kinda miss Square Enix making Mario games, it was a weird fun time

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Ulitmate's theme is okay without lyrics but with them it immediately plummets to second-worst, just above 64's.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
The lyric version is the best one.
It does that annoying "Let's translate a Japanese song that clearly wasn't intended to be in English and not bother to make it fit in with the inherently faster language" thing that so many other localized anime and games do.

Like there's a reason Utada Hikaru almost quit doing songs for Kingdom Hearts over this.

I know it doesn't bother a lot of people but it really gets on my nerves.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I do like Lifelight but there's something about it that just feels kinda manufactured to me

It feels like they saw the overwhelming postive reception toward Mario Odyssey's Jump Up Super Star and wanted to captialize on it by giving Smash its own vocal theme equivalent. Trying to make lightning strike twice, basically.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I mean for real, look at these lyrics
I've heard legends of that person
How he plunged into enemy territory
How he saved his homeland

How he traveled the breadth of the land
Reducing all he touched to rubble

Revered by many – I, too, revere him
Feared by many – I, too, fear him
Now, that person
Stands at my side

Now that person stands at my side
Now my friends are with me
Some of them were once heroes
Some, my mortal enemies
And as we face each other in battle, locked in combat
We shine ever brighter

But sung in freakin' Latin

It's so cheesy it's amazing

It's Sakurai's magnum opus

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is so over the top, how can you not just adore it

I kinda got burned out on it because it was in a LOT of AMV's and such after Brawl but it's still good.
I do like Lifelight but there's something about it that just feels kinda manufactored to me

It feels like they saw the overwhelming postive reception toward Mario Odyssey's Jump Up Super Star and wanted to captialize on it by giving Smash its own vocal theme equivalent. Trying to make lightning strike twice, basically.
This feels like a stretch to me. Heck Smash had a vocal theme long before Odyssey.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The first Ultimate teaser trailer was released not really that many months after Odyssey and contained Lifelight in it

It didn't have lyrics, but I would be very surprised if they just added lyrics to a song not written for them because a song in another game was well received

And did it in 6ish months

In 2 languages

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

maxresdefault.jpg
I don't know how good this game is, but the art style is FANTASTIC! Who's responsible?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I don't think they added English lyrics to Lifelight because of Jump Up, Super Star but that does seem to be the trend with their big games now.

Three Houses also had Edge of Dawn which didn't have nearly the same amount of care put into it as the English version of Lost in Thoughts All Alone and was as similarly terrible as Lifelight.

I wouldn't be surprised if Xenoblade DE gets a poorly localized song too.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I do like Lifelight but there's something about it that just feels kinda manufactured to me

Yeah and it did it better than Jump Up Super Star. Actually it's kind of funny how many games during that string of releases had vocal tracks.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Didn't Sakurai mention he wanted a lyical motif from the beginning to surpass previous Smash themes? I doubt Odyssey had much of an influence.

Anyway, I thought Lifelight was so lovley I included it on a gaming music CD for my niece. Y'all haters are whack.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't think they added English lyrics to Lifelight because of Jump Up, Super Star but that does seem to be the trend with their big games now.

Three Houses also had Edge of Dawn which didn't have nearly the same amount of care put into it as the English version of Lost in Thoughts All Alone and was as similarly terrible as Lifelight.

I wouldn't be surprised if Xenoblade DE gets a poorly localized song too.
To be fair, NoA went out of their way to get a Broadway actress for Azura in the case of Lost in Thoughts All Alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.