• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
???

The game was already in English, they only had to translate a bunch of text in the training mode.
that's why I said international release and not a localization (I did write that at first, but then I remembered people always imported that game on N64). S&P is basically no different of Murasame Castle on VC too (but that didn't had a lot of any text to translate lol)

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic that Banjo is in Smash, and from the first Pass he was the one that got me most hyped;... but my relation with Crash as a franchise and character is much more closer to my heart. I say I'm a Rare widow, because I was so devasted when they left Nintendo after so many great games on SNES and N64... but, most of their N64 output, I'd discover way later in my life, since I grew with a PS1 at home, and thus Crash took all my time.

Banjo is one the pleasing surprises that I never really bothered asking for Smash, because I ALWAYS thought it was lost cause not worth fighting for; --but now Crash? that I've been asking at least since Brawl when Sonic showed up lol (I'd had accepted him back then even with his Titans design :p)

I totally get that. I grew up with both an N64 and a Playstation. I have fond memories of Banjo-Kazooie and the Crash games. Personally I was more attached to Banjo and the DKC games. I remember thinking it was strange Banjo was not in Smash 64 or Melee. So years later when I discovered Rare was sold off I was gutted.

I bought a 360 for Rare's games alone. Tried Kameo and PDZ at launch and eagerly awaited the new Banjo game after Microsoft dropped a teaser in 2006. Still tried mustering hype when it was reannounced as Nuts & Bolts in 2008, and completely lost hope when Microsoft restructured the studio to focus on Kinect.This comic I made describes my feelings throughout that decade. This comic describes my feelings after Banjo was announced. This was over a decade of closure for me. Banjo and Kazooie, back home with Nintendo for one last hurrah.

I've always liked Crash Bandicoot. It just never crossed my mind to have him in Smash until Cloud got in. After that happened, it really felt like the doors were open to just about any third party. I hope you get him! I want to see him, too.

Last edited:

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that surprising Saki went from a cult darling to a no-show in Smash For, with a costume in Ultimate.

Saki's assist actually was in Smash 4 tho

Saki_Amamiya_en_el_Cuadrilatero_SSB4_%28Wii_U%29.jpg

Was just Ultimate where it didn't come back, in-spite of the Mii Fighter outfit.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there is any unknown bugs or glitches that kept him away from assist trophies? I meant they went far enough to include their costumes for Mii so something had happens with Saki.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I totally get that. I grew up with both an N64 and a Playstation. I have fond memories of Banjo-Kazooie and the Crash games. Personally I was more attached to Banjo and the DKC games. I remember thinking it was strange Banjo was not in Smash 64 or Melee. So years later when I discovered Rare was sold off I was gutted.

I bought a 360 for Rare's games alone. Tried Kameo and PDZ at launch and eagerly awaited the new Banjo game after Microsoft dropped a teaser in 2006. Still tried mustering hype when it was reannounced as Nuts & Bolts in 2008, and completely lost hope when Microsoft restructured the studio to focus on Kinect.This comic I made describes my feelings throughout that decade. This comic describes my feelings after Banjo was announced. This was over a decade of closure for me. Banjo and Kazooie, back home with Nintendo for one last hurrah.

I've always liked Crash Bandicoot. It just never crossed my mind to have him in Smash until Cloud got in. After that happened, it really felt like the doors were open to just about any third party. I hope you get him! I want to see him, too.
I passed through a phase that everything Rare made for Xbox platforms sucked and it wasn't worth crying for! lol; --I admit I was mildly interested in Conker: Live & Reloaded though.. and years later I got a 360 with Nuts & Bolts, and I didn't exactly disliked.. just got bored :p

Crash's hiatus always strook me weird because, as much I didn't like Crash of the Titans and Mind over Mutant when they released, they were both financial successes.. these days it seems that the cat's out of bag and some ex Radical employees told the story that was internal problems and bad management and never the lack of interest in the IP;

but anyway.. when I got my PS1 right after the SNES, jumping from Rare's DKC games on the Crash trilogy was kinda natural.. and I think way more natural than what they'd present with DK64 and Banjo xD; ... well.. hopefuly Banjo and Crash can met up through Smash after all these years 'v'

also, the comics are spot on describing the feeling of being a Rare fan lol

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I passed through a phase that everything Rare made for Xbox platforms sucked and it wasn't worth crying for! lol; --I admit I was mildly interested in Conker: Live & Reloaded though.. and years later I got a 360 with Nuts & Bolts, and I didn't exactly disliked.. just got bored :p

Crash's hiatus always strook me weird because, as much I didn't like Crash of the Titans and Mind over Mutant when they released, they were both financial successes.. these days it seems that the cat's out of bag and some ex Radical employees told the story that was internal problems and bad management and never the lack of interest in the IP;

but anyway.. when I got my PS1 right after the SNES, jumping from Rare's DKC games on the Crash trilogy was kinda of natural.. and I think way more natural than what they'd present with DK64 and Banjo xD; ... well.. hopefuly Banjo and Crash can met up through Smash after all these years 'v'

also, the comics are spot on describing the feeling of being a Rare fan lol

Definitely! I never had an OG Xbox so I missed Ghoulies and L&R. I actually enjoyed Nuts & Bolts for what it was. Building vehicles was pretty fun, but I can't say I was a fan of the new art style. I kept up with Crash too, right up until Mind over Mutant when the series went on hiatus.

It helps Crash took some inspiration from Donkey Kong. Naughty Dog seemed to look at Rare's work for a few of their PS1 games. I heard they built a level from Diddy Kong Racing as a test track for CTR. Having Crash alongside Mario, Sonic, DK and Banjo would blow my mind as a kid.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there is any unknown bugs or glitches that kept him away from assist trophies? I meant they went far enough to include their costumes for Mii so something had happens with Saki.
I always assumed it was just a cost:benefit thing. Like they'd need to completely redo Saki's model to put it on the same level as everything else (look at that pic above, doesn't even individual fingers!) and it just wasn't worth it given how niche S&P is.

Isaac got that treatment b/c of the ballot.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Naughty Dog admit somewhere that Banjo-Kazooie inspired Jak and Daxter (the first one before it got grimdark)? I keep hearing people say that.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Definitely! I never had an OG Xbox so I missed Ghoulies and L&R. I actually enjoyed Nuts & Bolts for what it was. Building vehicles was pretty fun, but I can't say I was a fan of the new art style. I kept up with Crash too, right up until Mind over Mutant when the series went on hiatus.

It helps Crash took some inspiration from Donkey Kong. Naughty Dog seemed to look at Rare's work for a few of their PS1 games. I heard they built a level from Diddy Kong Racing as a test track for CTR. Having Crash alongside Mario, Sonic, DK and Banjo would blow my mind as a kid.
Yeah I'm very well aware of Naughty Dog's inspiration and when I learned that later on everything made sense to me, that's why I loved Crash instantly so much XD (the aesthetics and Looney Tunes vibe helped quite a bit too);

I got a kick of the coincidence that (at least for now) one of the Nintendo characters that Crash already officially made a crossover is Donkey Kong through Skylanders :p

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm very well aware of Naughty Dog's inspiration and when I learned that later on everything made sense to me, that's why I loved Crash instantly so much XD (the aesthetics and Looney Tunes vibe helped quite a bit too);

I got a kick of the coincidence that (at least for now) one of the Nintendo characters that Crash already officially made a crossover is Donkey Kong through Skylanders :p

I still sometimes forget that Crash, Cortex, DK and Bowser are in a game together. That means Vicarious and Beenox have already collaborated with Nintendo in the past. Maybe I should have been writing on Activison's support site for Crash in Smash instead of characters for Nitro Fueled.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I never got into the new PS2 platforming mascots by Sony (Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper) and I kept going with Crash, since, yet again, I was given a Sony system instead of a Nintendo one (I asked for a N64 and I got a PS1, and then same thing happened in the next generation.. I asked for a GameCube and I got a PS2 :P)..

Still never tried any of the PS2 newcomers and quite frankly there's something that prevents me to go check them out organically (as it not by obligation for a video or something);

I still sometimes forget that Crash, Cortex, DK and Bowser are in a game together. That means Vicarious and Beenox have already collaborated with Nintendo in the past. Maybe I should have been writing on Activison's support site for Crash in Smash instead of characters for Nitro Fueled.
just other day I was contabilizing the Nintendo characters that Crash already met; --Add Diddy Kong, some Koopa Troopas and Dry Bones there as well (they were both part of DK's and Bowser's moveset, respectively!)

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sly Cooper is the only PS2 platforming mascot game I got into. I liked the first Jak game but became disinterested after II, and Ratchet and Clank never clicked for me.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I was a big Ratchet & Clank fan. They felt genuinely different from all of the other 3D platformers at the time thanks to all of the weapons and the (at the time) actually pretty good humor.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jak shit its pants with the sequel and never stopped (until the racing spinoff anyway), but both Ratchet and Sly continued putting out great after great.

Too bad about Sly 4 and the Ratchet remake though.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
there's something about Ratchet & Clank that tunes in that Dreamworks style that I really not fan of... but I heard the gameplay is solid all the time;

Jak and Sly Cooper (the latter, oddly, considering the aesthetics that I find it great), I simply never bothered trying out and by the end of the generation I was ready to return to Nintendo systems with my own money this time =,D

Crash once met Sonic

In the infirmary

Now we can have a Switch screen with Ty, Spyro, Crash and Sonic all together in the menu :p ... (Ty was smart enough to not mess with Mario, I suppose)

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
there's something about Ratchet & Clank that tunes in that Dreamworks style that I really not fan of... but I heard the gameplay is solid all the time;

Jak and Sly Cooper (the latter, oddly, considering the aesthetics that I find it great), I simply never bothered trying out and by the end of the generation I was ready to return to Nintendo systems with my own money this time =,D

That's a great way to describe it IMO. Ratchet's art style has always been unappealing for me outside of All 4 One. I adored the style Sucker Punch went with for Sly.

wasn't Crash in that sonic racing game
group_ssasrbk_013vk2e.png

Imagine Sonic seeing Banjo get into Smash last year and wondering what the hell happened.

5d0001d26fc920285f11bd62

"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Jak shit its pants with the sequel and never stopped (until the racing spinoff anyway), but both Ratchet and Sly continued putting out great after great.

Too bad about Sly 4 and the Ratchet remake though.
i've never seen a game shit its pants as hard as Sly 4 while also having devs so utterly disinterested in cleaning up the mess they made
just "sorry! we're leaving you with that ending and peacing out! Bye!"

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i've never seen a game shit its pants as hard as Sly 4 while also having devs so utterly disinterested in cleaning up the mess they made
just "sorry! we're leaving you with that ending and peacing out! Bye!"

The worst part is that Sanzaru were very clearly huge fans of the series and tried their best to both cheerlead and push the series into an interesting direction, but in doing so totally cannibalized the fantastic ending to Sly 3, ruined some major characters, and then left a big mess they were hoping a sequel would clean up.

It's a fine game in its own right but it's one I mentally send to the Never Happened bin.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
wasn't Crash in that sonic racing game
group_ssasrbk_013vk2e.png
Oh yes, that one time Aku Aku was made into a magic wrench
Sonic_Sega_Racing_Banjo_Wrench.png

That's a great way to describe it IMO. Ratchet's art style has always been unappealing for me outside of All 4 One. I adored the style Sucker Punch went with for Sly.
Sly Cooper has great character design through and through imo; but at the same time, knowing the series really needs to embrace its theme with stealth sections, I guess that was where I drew the line and got me hesitant to try it out ^^"

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
A One Piece Arc fighter would 100% include pre and post time skip version of Luffy at the very least. Maybe multiple pre and post time skip straw hats

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Nuts & Bolts is alrighty; I think I got over the idea on hating because its different of the other entries in the series.. even Grunty's Revenge is more a traditional Banjo game being isometric/top-down

I love the landscapes in N&Bs and driving around is not a bad idea, but I seriously think they shouldn't stripped down Banjo's ability to traverse by foot with platforming tricks and what not.. basically, if you don't even need to walk around, so just make a vehicle game, you know?

the designs are less of a problem when you're already hours in, and I think I'd accept them better if the gameplay was more akin to the the previous entries;

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'd still be interested to see what a Smash Bros. game with a cohesive art style would be like. The comic book inspired art style used in the OG Smash Bros. illustrations were so charming. I'd love a game that looked like that.

1467478703-1204850462.png

1467446199-1225445243.png

I don't imagine a broader audience would appreciate such a thing though.

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Fighter spirits should have been art from every Smash game so you could flip through them and see how the series has evolved

So Mario would be Normal Nintendo stock art Mario, Mario's comic book 64 art, his Melee render, Brawl render, Smash 4 render and Ultimate render. When you unlock his fighter spirit, it's all of those in one spirit that you flip through whether you see their home game art, or art from the various Smash games

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nuts & Bolts changed things up too much. Different gameplay and a new art style to match it. I'd say if they just picked one or the other, the backlash wouldn't have been near as bad.

I remember reading recently Steve Mayles assumed fans of Rare would move over from Nintendo to Xbox. Nuts & Bolts was such a departure from Kazooie and Tooie. I totally see why many fans didn't do what I did and bought a 360 at launch for Rare games.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Nuts & Bolts changed things up too much. Different gameplay and a new art style to match it. I'd say if they just picked one or the other, the backlash wouldn't have been near as bad.

I remember reading recently Steve Mayles assumed fans of Rare would move over from Nintendo to Xbox. Nuts & Bolts was such a departure from Kazooie and Tooie. I totally see why many fans didn't do what I did and bought a 360 at launch for Rare games.
redesigns are more easy to swallow when its the only thing affected is indeed the aesthetics of a game for sure; take Crash of the Titans on DS for example... still got combat and Titan mounting, but the level design and the general moveset for Crash is closer to the PS1 games: narrow corridors levels, crates to spin and Crash can even belly flop, if I'm not mistaken;

Crash still had his weird tribal tatoos and no gloves and Aku Aku looked like a kite.. but the gameplay and progression was way more pleasing to me on the first try than the console game;

-- when I play Nuts & Bolts, I just wish I had the ability to play it as a normal Banjo game.. (I mean, also needed way more stuff to do on foot in those gigantic worlds). And Kazooie's magic wrench wasn't a bad idea either.. it's BoTW Magnesis years before!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd still be interested to see what a Smash Bros. game with a cohesive art style would be like. The comic book inspired art style used in the OG Smash Bros. illustrations were so charming. I'd love a game that looked like that.

1467478703-1204850462.png

1467446199-1225445243.png

I don't imagine a broader audience would appreciate such a thing though.

That's my hope for whatever Smash comes next, if they can't just re-release Ultimate with more bells and whistles

Gimme a complete reboot with a cohesive style, redesigned characters, and its own sense of "self".

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For the next game, they should axe the spirits and just make a full-blown art gallery, and attach Masterpieces to it. Art Gallery exhibits would be a way more fun unlockable and would be a suitable Trophy replacement that gives more context to the games the art represents.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hypothetically were Ultimate to come to Switch 2 as is in lieu of an all new Smash, do you think it'd get more DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.