• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I need amiibo to continue because I need a Master Chief amiibo. Also a Terry Bogard amiibo.

Please Nintendo, at least finish the Smash characters before you give up.

My mind would not be able to comprehend a Master Chief amiibo. Even if I bought it and had it right in front of me.

It's existence would be insane.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
No leaker is safe from SmashEra's bitter snark
I mean, Laura was as good as her sources, right? I'm not gonna hold that against her unless someone points out otherwise.

Stealth___ on the other hand actively revels in being a jackass in sheep's clothing so I'll drag him any day of the week, LOL.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Even then, I fear Crash might get the same treatment as Rayman. N-Sane Trilogy and Nitro-Fueled have not sold well in Japan.

Crash is still remembered over there, and was way bigger than Banjo ever was. I'm hoping Crash can get in on nostalgia and success in the west.
I'm not super sure on Nitro-Fueled sales in Japan, but what I see is that they revived an active community over there.. so many tweets I see all the time by Japanese people, sharing artwork from Crash characters, screenshots and videos on their progress in the game;

but besides that, Crash is at least a big and impactful franchise with a huge legacy. I always saw N. Sane Trilogy and Nitro-Fueled being on Switch (and sold in Japan) as mere convenience; --I'm sure there's way more weight the IP brand than sales numbers there (and you know, even without that, N. Sane Trilogy sold much more here than any Rayman game ever did internationally)

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I mean, Laura was as good as her sources, right? I'm not gonna hold that against her unless someone points out otherwise.

Stealth___ on the other hand actively revels in being a jackass in sheep's clothing so I'll drag him any day of the week, LOL.
I've enjoyed articles she's written and appearances she's made on podcasts I listen to and stuff, but I don't really like it when people leak things even when they're right.

So nothing against her as a person, but as a leaker LUL

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

LKD, if anything, just has very unfortunate luck with how her leaks have played out. If they weren't wrong, they caused more harm than good (Mario + Rabbids backlash) or she gets caught up in bullshit because a publisher goes to press with a story way too early (The whole "There's a slur in a Persona track in Smash" nonsense.)

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be really sad if they didn't at least finish out the Smash roster. I own every one produced so far and it would irk me to no end if my set was incomplete because they didn't feel like continuing the line.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
Ok so a lot of people wanted Sora pre-Hero and kept bashing said Hero/Erdrick before his reveal. Now I'm seeing less Sora requests and a lot of Sora hate and Disney discourse today. I mean, I could care less if he's in or not, but what the hell, is it a bandwagoning thing

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so a lot of people wanted Sora pre-Hero and kept bashing said Hero/Erdrick before his reveal. Now I'm seeing less Sora requests and a lot of Sora hate and Disney discourse today. I mean, I could care less if he's in or not, but what the hell, is it a bandwagoning thing

Might have something to do with Imran's comments on Nintendo/Sakurai approaching Disney and getting denied.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I haven't seen much change personally, he still has a ton of supporters and then on the other side there are still tons of people who hate anime.

The main piece of new info we have is that Sakurai likely asked for him before and got turned down by Disney, so I think that's hurt how likely people think he is.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just like everything else produced for Kingdom Hearts, the music falls back to Disney rights-wise. The official soundtracks are all under their record label.
But that's the thing, Disney has control over the music, not Yoko.
That leads me to my other question which I forgot to bring up earlier. Yoko Shimomura also composed the Super Mario RPG's OST, right? Other than the few Mario and Final Fantasy remixes, does she have rights to the soundtrack?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That leads me to my other question which I forgot to bring up earlier. Yoko Shimomura also composed the Super Mario RPG's OST, right? Other than the few Mario and Final Fantasy remixes, does she have rights to the soundtrack?
Going by how her compositions are handled in Smash (they're owned by Nintendo), they probably belong to Square-Enix.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Might have something to do with Imran's comments on Nintendo/Sakurai approaching Disney and getting denied.
I haven't seen much change personally, he still has a ton of supporters and then on the other side there are still tons of people who hate anime.

The main piece of new info we have is that Sakurai likely asked for him before and got turned down by Disney, so I think that's hurt how likely people think he is.
Unless Imran said otherwise, that entire conversation on the Kinda Funny podcast was pure speculation. He said at the same instance that he predicts either Sora or Master Chief will happen. He probably believes that if Sora doesn't happen, the reason would be that Disney Japan rejected the idea.

Misinformation on this spread like wildfire, and it kinda sucks.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Unless Imran said otherwise, that entire conversation on the Kinda Funny podcast was pure speculation. He said at the same instance that he predicts either Sora or Master Chief will happen. He probably believes that if Sora doesn't happen, the reason would be that Disney Japan rejected the idea.

Wait didn't he say there was already talks? As in there was already an attempt made to get Sora in?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

I'm not even talking about what he said. Sakurai all but said as much in his book last year, Imran's conversation just popularized it.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Are we getting a character this month? What's this mean

image0.png

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Are we getting a character this month? What's this mean

image0.png

"Only Fighter Pass of Super Smash Bros. Brawl can be downloaded" ??

I assume it's google translate being google translate but I can't wait for tripping to be back in

and also for the game to be retitled Super Scuffle Smash Brothers

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Wait, really? That's the first I've heard. Everybody just cites that podcast. Got a link?
Here's a translation of his book when he talked about the ballot winners: https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-195#post-23349070

And the line in question:
Beyonetta was the first pick among realisable characters. Above her, there were old veterans like Snake and other characters that were already tried negotiating but got rejected.
Obviously he doesn't spell out that the winner was Sora, but if you look at who tops Smash popularity polls combined with who possibly would have rights issues I think it's at least 80-90% likely he's talking about Sora.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's not first time Imran brought up Sora (in the podcast). He kinda implied it in other thread but it might be as a speculation as well.

I think people shouldn't stop supporting Sora because of information and if they still show them there are demands for characters then they are more likely to check it out and listen to the fans. Like they did with Ridley, Banjo-Kazooie and King K Rool.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll get a character that's not originally from a video game but it's Geralt, thoughts?

I'm only posting this because I only just now bought The Witcher III.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I think people shouldn't stop supporting Sora because of information and if they still show them there are demands for characters then they are more likely to check it out and listen to the fans. Like they did with Ridley, Banjo-Kazooie and King K Rool.
I think they've probably already decided on the 6 new characters at this point lol

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
We'll get a character that's not originally from a video game but it's Geralt, thoughts?

I'm only posting this because I only just now bought The Witcher III.

His reveal video would have a lot of potential, at least. Tracking down Ridley? Talking about Pokémon type advantages as if he were describing a strigga? He walks into a bar and K.K. Slider is playing that song?

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I think they've probably already decided on the 6 new characters at this point lol

Yeah, I know. The noises would be there whenever they decided to do new Smash Bros so they can hear their voices. I have no doubt that faithful smash fans would speculate about Smash Bros 7 right after they are done with DLC for Ultimate.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I think she put out an album a while ago with a couple Mario RPG remixes on it, but I don't know what the trademarks on it were

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Anyone know when the physical card for Season 1 came out? It's probably nothing, but it might be interesting to see if we knew Joker before the last one.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the only character that didn't originate in a video game I'll accept.

kurea.png

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a translation of his book when he talked about the ballot winners: https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-195#post-23349070

And the line in question:

Obviously he doesn't spell out that the winner was Sora, but if you look at who tops Smash popularity polls combined with who possibly would have rights issues I think it's at least 80-90% likely he's talking about Sora.
So that's where all the info came from. I remember most of it. Thanks for sharing!

Since that result was for Smash For, there's still hope for Ultimate.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? she's not originated from video games? I guess she made her appearance in manga or what?

Yep. Recent interview with the series artist confirmed she was originally a character that would appear in guidebook manga before the staff decided they liked her so much they wanted to have her be the player character in the For Girl version of Back to Nature/Mineral Town. She's been a series mainstay since then. Before the interview I always assumed she was meant to appear in the games and her manga appearances were just cameos before her game launched.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So that's where all the info came from. I remember most of it. Thanks for sharing!

Since that result was for Smash For, there's still hope for Ultimate.
That plus, even in the podcast, while Tim definitely sounded like he was speculating, Imran didn't share that tone in how he was speaking. Plus I believe he hinted at the situation in some of his Era posts prior to the podcast.

The main question is when the negotiations took place. Though given Sakurai's statement regarding characters he failed to get & Imran also mentioning Sora as a potential Vol. 2 pick, these talks could have been from the Smash Wii U/3DS DLC days.

Status
Not open for further replies.