• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't see them adding a guest character who's entirely obscure in Japan.

c211d22e8ad672b332614d37811fe860.png

Like honestly, sometimes I think the only reason Rayman even appears in Smash at all is because Rayman Legends was actually Wii U exclusive and Nintendo published in Japan. Notice how of Rayman's representation in Smash is based around Legends.

Also Ubisoft leaker mentions that Ubisoft actually comes to Nintendo and Sakurai to ask them if they could add Rayman to Smash Bros. And basically Sakurai said no? but they were willing to donate the models for trophy.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Amiibo as a product line looks like it's run its course like every other toys-to-life product, so I'm not shocked that they didn't bother with DLC amiibo.

They had to cut it off somewhere.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
As somoene who hasn't played much Final Fantasy nor has much interest, Terra is the only character I'd be excited about.

Would be super excited to have this track included...

I wonder if they hit a snag with a DLC character amiibo

Like there's a timed exclusive contract for making figures or something they're waiting to expire
Nah, they'll probably do 3 per year, so there's no rush announcing the first until later. I don't expect one until E3, to be honest.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
They managed to release Cloud amiibo which is probably the highest obstacle to climb.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Amiibo as a product line looks like it's run its course like every other toys-to-life product, so I'm not shocked that they didn't bother with DLC amiibo.

They still reprint amiibo monthly, and just released a new Link amiibo last year for Link's Awakening

Animal Crossing also seems to have pretty robust amiibo support

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

It took a while for the Wii U/3DS DLC Amiibos to come out, so I wouldn't be so sure about Ultimate's DLC characters not getting them. Plus Nintendo is still supporting Amiibos in their games, more recently with Animal Crossing.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nintendo really sees Amiibo as toys-to-life anyway. They're just neat collectables now.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's something they would've announced during the Byleth reveal, if they don't announce it during the next direct it's safe to say it's not happening. Maybe the sales weren't as good as expected or they had problems with the licenses for 1 character so they decided to not do any.

Let's wait until we know when FP#6 is closer to release. All new amiibo releases have been within a two week range of new character releases. If they're still doing that, it makes sense to hold off on the amiibo for a bit.

Also remember that Cloud, Bayo and Corrin didn't arrive until a year and a half after they were released in game. It can take time. Especially with third parties that require back and forth collaboration with.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not

Given that there's 4329378492342 pieces of DQ merchandise, it doesn't strike me that Square would enter any sort of exclusive toy license with anyone

I was honestly thinking more of Joker. Especially since he'd be the first amiibo, if they hit a snag with him, it'd delay everything.

Square Enix is very stringent with Final Fantasy specifically - basically any FF merch is made in-house. it's why you see Funko Pops and Nendoroids for Kingdom Hearts, because it's Disney, but everything Final Fantasy is a Play Arts/Trading Arts figure

In some ways it's a godsend (pls no FF Funko Pops) but in others it means they have a monopoly on the market so things are pricey

So yeah the Cloud amiibo is a little surprising and I'm curious how the profits are shared out

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when we all thought that Cloud, Corrin and Bayo's amiibos were being held back for the release of "Smash Switch"?

"Thanks", Laura Kate Dale

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Square Enix is very stringent with Final Fantasy specifically - basically any FF merch is made in-house. it's why you see Funko Pops and Nendoroids for Kingdom Hearts, because it's Disney, but everything Final Fantasy is a Play Arts/Trading Arts figure

In some ways it's a godsend (pls no FF Funko Pops) but in others it means they have a monopoly on the market so things are pricey

So yeah the Cloud amiibo is a little surprising and I'm curious how the profits are shared out
Everything around Cloud in Smash seems to have been a miracle in licensing

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I like the swerve that Pokemon Stars was never real, BUT Gamefreak was actually working on an ORAS port

So they were technically working on something like Stars, but they had the completely wrong origin game

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I think they'd probably be sold on their own

Was Pokemon Trainer sold as a 3 pack? I don't remember, I only bought Ivysaur
Nah, they were all separate.

Honestly I can see them doing a 4-pack for North America. The individual Heroes wouldn't move very much by themselves here. Japan though, they'd probably do individuals because they know people will buy anything DQ related.

I can also see them doing a Joker 2-pack for both his costumes.

Byleth....????

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only Western rep that I think has any sort of chance at this point is Crash Bandicoot.

Even then, I fear Crash might get the same treatment as Rayman. N-Sane Trilogy and Nitro-Fueled have not sold well in Japan.

Crash is still remembered over there, and was way bigger than Banjo ever was. I'm hoping Crash can get in on nostalgia and success in the west.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The snag is that the Amiibo factory ran out of the generic Eastern cartoon cutlass faces.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I think Nintendo might be hesitant to do any more multi-packs after the KK pack + Alpacas probably sold worse than had they just sold KK on his own

They thought they could tie a popular character to two characters whose amiibos wouldn't sell, and instead it just hurt KK's sales

That whole AC line was a disaster

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I need amiibo to continue because I need a Master Chief amiibo. Also a Terry Bogard amiibo.

Please Nintendo, at least finish the Smash characters before you give up.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They'll probably do all four. It's more amiibo to sell to people, and Hero is always shown off as a character that is like having 4 characters to use

And I doubt they'd miss a chance to sell an Erdrick amiibo to Japan
Erdrick may get lucky if they do one alt per DLC character, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up for him or the others.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Like honestly, sometimes I think the only reason Rayman even appears in Smash at all is because Rayman Legends was actually Wii U exclusive and Nintendo published in Japan. Notice how of Rayman's representation in Smash is based around Legends.
You're probably right about that. Rayman's spirit is grouped with the Nintendo characters and not at the end with Bomberman, Akira, Shantae, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.