• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
edit: also incineroar from what ive seen is more popular in general than decidueye lol
It's not super relevant, but we know that's not the case. In that official poll recently, Decidueye had much more votes than Incineroar did. It's demonstrably more popular.

I also still think Sakurai made the wrong call between the two, but that's neither here nor there.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
It would make a perfect rectangle, but also one of the updates added support for 10 more characters in the CSS (I forget when it was) so the hypothesis is that was done once they knew how many character slots total there would be.
I did predict that fighter pass 1 would have echoes for some characters. Boy was I wrong.

maybe they'll do it this time. But probably be smarter to be separate for financial reasons.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in that video cos I just play for fun so things like tiers, matchups and losses don't apply to me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echoes that came with music packs to tide us over between character releases would be pretty swanky.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
MondoMega do you remember when the CSS was updated to support 90 slots + the random select? I hadn't considered it before but I wonder how that lines up with our rough understanding of the season 2 timeline.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not super relevant, but we know that's not the case. In that official poll recently, Decidueye had much more votes than Incineroar did. It's demonstrably more popular.

I also still think Sakurai made the wrong call between the two, but that's neither here nor there.
Thats a poll and polls arent always definitive, Especially when it comes to popular pokemon.

Incineroar also has more personality but yknow neither here nor there

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I like the bit about people hating every character no matter how good they are.

The most casual players hate Kirby because Kirby players keep inhaling them and exhaling them off stage.
Forget inhale

it's this
300px-Kirby_Up_B_SSBU.gif

THIS is the most annoying Kirby thing in the game that trips up bad players

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Today is the 16th anniversary of Ninja Gaiden (2004).

(Black came out September 20th, 2005.)

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
No. I think MondoMega is on the 4 echoes train cause it would make a perfect character select screen? (I can't remember lol)
Nah, there's plenty of reason to think that we've got four more characters of some sort in the tank. Mostly because of datamining.

There are placeholder slots for fighters in two places in Smash Ultimate: the fighter directory, and the world of light directory. Both point towards another 10 fighters total.

The fighter directory had 30 placeholder slots when the game launched, all of which crashed the game when you tried to force them to load. As Piranha Plant and Joker got added, they took up two of these slots, and they no longer crashed the game. However, during Hero's update, not only did his slot get changed, so did the next 13 after him. At that time, slots 4 through 16 now all were set up to load Mario as a fail safe instead of crashing the game. Since then, Banjo-Kazooie, Terry, and Byleth have taken up three of those slots, leaving us slots 7 thru 16 still set up with Mario failsafes, whereas 17-30 still crash the game. These slots have been set up to be able to host fighters properly, so I'm of the opinion that they'll all get used before Smash Ultimate is complete.

World of Light's slots are weird though. There were also 16 of them there, but the files have been weird since Banjo-Kazooie's update. For Plant through Hero, they replaced the existing unused slots, much like they did for the Fighter directory. However, Banjo, Terry, and Byleth's files were added on after the 16 slots, and didn't replace any of them. Making things weirder, one of those slots was outright deleted during the Terry update. Terry didn't replace this slot, though - his WoL file was still placed after all the other slots. So currently, there are 12 unused WoL slots, with one having been nixed during Terry's addition. Given the weirdness here, I'm not sure if we can count on this one as much. The fact that, through Hero, there were also 16 slots is noteworthy though, even if things got messy post-BK.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not in that video cos I just play for fun so things like tiers, matchups and losses don't apply to me.
A lot of people play for fun, but that doesn't stop them from being angry at something.

Forget inhale

it's this
300px-Kirby_Up_B_SSBU.gif

THIS is the most annoying Kirby thing in the game that trips up bad players
Or how about in free for alls, all casual Kirby players do is jump all the way up in the air and down B the whole game?

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Again, even if hes not staunch about typings, Incineroar and Greninja are the only two that matter here as starters, since Pokemon Trainer has all three and the others are iconic non-starters.

I feel he'd go for the grass type for it to look nicer and not just pick two firetypes in a row in the same game.

edit: also incineroar from what ive seen is more popular in general than decidueye lol
Didnt both Rowlet and Decidueye outrank Incin on that Pokemon Poll.

VGC is only Place where Incin dominates.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know I shouldn't be surprised considering they're cutting FF7R into at least three games but a pre-order summon that was already in the original in the first place is somehow one of the scummiest things about the whole game thus far.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These baby Chobo are creeping me out.

I guess it's no different than the stubby Baby Yoshi.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Man. I didn't know there were pre-order bonus for FFVII remake.

that game doesn't even need it. Also why is it a summon materia. You don't even get your first summon till after Midgar.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar is undeniably one of the most iconic places in video game history but you're also there for like two, maybe three hours.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but now it's a full blown game so gotta bloat it up so it's worth $60 for most people.

Personally I'm waiting until the whole thing is over (assuming it happens before we all die of old age) because if Cloud doesn't say "let's mosey" at the end then the entire development period was wasted.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I know I shouldn't be surprised considering they're cutting FF7R into at least three games but a pre-order summon that was already in the original in the first place is somehow one of the scummiest things about the whole game thus far.

The Choco Mog summon is obtainable in the game, the Choco Chick is its own little thing

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
On paper I don't have an issue with turning one game into three and beefing up each act into a full game.

But also I've seen The Hobbit so we'll see how it goes.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
MondoMega do you remember when the CSS was updated to support 90 slots + the random select? I hadn't considered it before but I wonder how that lines up with our rough understanding of the season 2 timeline.
I don't think we know for certain when the CSS was updated to support 91 icons; as far as I know it was first tested after 6.0.0.

For reference, here's the history of placeholder slots in other places though:
  • 30 placeholder characters select slots were present at launch, but removed in 2.0.0 (though i've heard conflicting things on that actually being the case?)
  • 16 placeholder character slots were present in files related to World of Light and an attack parameter file. They've been filled out as follows:
    • Piranha Plant and Joker replaced the first two placeholder slots in both files.
    • Hero and Banjo did not replaced any of the placeholder slots in the World of Light file, but they did the in attack param file.
    • Terry and Byleth replaced two of the placeholder slots, and one of the WoL placeholder slots was removed in 6.0.0.

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
That E3 video must've been filmed far ahead of time. Guess some plans changed.
It obviously was

Wolf's shoes were different colored in a few shots
Roy had a different run animation
Mr Game and Watch's visual gimmick of changing forms wasn't finished yet
Daisy had some slightly different expressions for moves
One of the Koopaling's head becomes detached

Jun 11, 2019
Personally I'm waiting until the whole thing is over (assuming it happens before we all die of old age) because if Cloud doesn't say "let's mosey" at the end then the entire development period was wasted.
I'm really hoping they use that line, I remember them referencing it at last year's E3 but I doubt it'd be indicative of anything

I just wanna see Red XIII pose as a human in HD, that's all I want.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure that caption isn't just a mistranslation? It could be that it was supposed to say "They look similar, but their movements (i.e. animations) are different," which would technically be correct.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I don't think we know for certain when the CSS was updated to support 91 icons; as far as I know it was first tested after 6.0.0.

For reference, here's the history of placeholder slots in other places though:
  • 30 placeholder characters select slots were present at launch, but removed in 2.0.0 (though i've heard conflicting things on that actually being the case?)
  • 16 placeholder character slots were present in files related to World of Light and an attack parameter file. They've been filled out as follows:
    • Piranha Plant and Joker replaced the first two placeholder slots in both files.
    • Hero and Banjo did not replaced any of the placeholder slots in the World of Light file, but they did the in attack param file.
    • Terry and Byleth replaced two of the placeholder slots, and one of the WoL placeholder slots was removed in 6.0.0.
Hmm, thanks for the info.

If they were added in 6.0.0 that would line up almost perfectly with the idea that season 2 was finalized in November, but they could have been there before hand. I'm not sure what to make of the rest though (I'd guess some DLC character replacing placeholders and others getting new slots probably doesn't mean much though)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Square Enix Will Do Something on March 29 For NieR’s 10th Anniversary

NieR Gestalt and NieR Replicant were both released about 10 years ago in April 2010. Square Enix Producer Yosuke Saito and Director Yoko Taro tweeted that they will be doing something to commemorate the NieR 10th anniversary, no matter how big or small. Saito first tweeted, “I’ll do something...

2B Fighter 6 confirmed

I think you mean the real Nier rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.